• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:45
CEST 19:45
KST 02:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7520 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 77

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 75 76 77 78 79 730 Next
Alexson
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belarus293 Posts
February 13 2011 18:35 GMT
#1521


My power cleans.. any advice?
Liberal who supports gun use and supports an eye for an eye
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 18:47:58
February 13 2011 18:36 GMT
#1522
I actually would rather train without music. Its easier to concentrate. Most people like music though.


@alexson

When gripping the bar, I would recommend using hook grip. Tuck your thumb under the bar and wrap your fingers around your thumb. It is a more secure grip for cleans.

When pulling off the ground, let your arms hang loose. You are arm pulling straight off the ground. Your position looks pretty good off the ground. In the second pull, you have to drive with your hips and extend upwards. It seems like you are jumping forward with just arms. At the catch, you have to dip again to catch the weight. Leaning backwards to catch will make you fall over. Also drive your elbows up to make a better shelf to catch the bar on.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 13 2011 18:45 GMT
#1523
On February 14 2011 03:36 AoN.DimSum wrote:
I actually would rather train without music. Its easier to concentrate. Most people like music though.

Lucky. It's so easy for me to go beast mode with some proper music. Need to start training without it so im used too it for competition.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 18:55:54
February 13 2011 18:50 GMT
#1524
On February 14 2011 03:35 Alexson wrote:

My power cleans.. any advice?


I don't know why DS and Decaf aren't commenting since they are already here but this is my take (I've only been doing them for ~2 months)

I get the impression that you are still trying to catch the bar with your arms, it's as if you are putting the bar onto your shoulders with your hands. I was told to have the bar land just inside the shoulders by itself, without forcing it with the arms. I can't really explain this well... and I don't even know if I'm doing them correctly.

Also, your squats, good job on going deep. I think you should still try to have more of a sitting motion when you go down. And I think your knees are contracting inwards (towards each other) when you are getting up, and that should be avoided. Keep your hamstrings tight, and that should help.
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
Cambium
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States16368 Posts
February 13 2011 18:54 GMT
#1525
On February 14 2011 03:36 AoN.DimSum wrote:
I actually would rather train without music. Its easier to concentrate. Most people like music though.


@alexson

When gripping the bar, I would recommend using hook grip. Tuck your thumb under the bar and wrap your fingers around your thumb. It is a more secure grip for cleans.

When pulling off the ground, let your arms hang loose. You are arm pulling straight off the ground. Your position looks pretty good off the ground. In the second pull, you have to drive with your hips and extend upwards. It seems like you are jumping forward with just arms. At the catch, you have to dip again to catch the weight. Leaning backwards to catch will make you fall over. Also drive your elbows up to make a better shelf to catch the bar on.


Okay, great, I think I'm doing mine somewhat correctly. Still waiting for a camera to capture some vids though...
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you to achieve it.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 19:01:42
February 13 2011 19:01 GMT
#1526
Watch any power/full clean video and look at how they catch the bar on their shoulders.

by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 19:07:44
February 13 2011 19:05 GMT
#1527
On February 14 2011 03:35 Alexson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0PJ0CHB0kw

My power cleans.. any advice?



Arm bend is quite severe, there's a distinct lack of hip extension, there's too much of a "jump", and your lumbar spine is in flexion at the start of the lift. The proper rack position has already been mentioned, that's usually just a flexibility issue and just stretching practicing front squats with a strict rack position around your powerclean weight will fix that quickly.


to fix everything else, I would do only full cleans from the high hang until those problems aren't as severe and then start powercleaning from the floor. Doing lifts from the hang forces you to extend the right way and makes it harder to just armpull it up. Your armpull starts right off the floor and isn't just a casual bend right around the 2nd pull that a lot of lifters have.

http://www.pendlay.com/Lifts-from-the-Hang-The-Self-Coached-Lifters-Best-Friend-_df_52.html

I know rip loves to just go straight into teaching the powerclean, but learning full movements from the hang is going to alleviate almost all of the problems that come from learning power movements first.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Alexson
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belarus293 Posts
February 13 2011 19:11 GMT
#1528
On February 14 2011 04:01 AoN.DimSum wrote:
Watch any power/full clean video and look at how they catch the bar on their shoulders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ejcOHwN764

Oh wow I see it now that you pointed that out. Its like he doesn't even move his hands at all, but lets the bar fly because of the power in his hips. Thanks everyone for the advice!
Liberal who supports gun use and supports an eye for an eye
tryummm
Profile Joined August 2009
774 Posts
February 13 2011 19:56 GMT
#1529
On February 14 2011 03:35 Alexson wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0PJ0CHB0kw

My power cleans.. any advice?


1) You are starting with a kind of rounded back, rather it would be safer and more natural to start in a neutral position.
2) When you end the lift, you don't have a strong grip with your elbows up securing the bar. Here is a video so you can see what i'm talking about that shows how I would recommend this lift being done by somebody who isn't trying to become a bodybuilder (this is more for an athlete).


When performing the lift, you don't have to perform the stomp. There are benefits and effects to using it...but that's for another discussion. You also can start the lift anywhere from your hips to the ground.

I don't know exactly what your goals are, but here is another critical point.

3) I'm going to suggest you don't know how movement is created...and you don't know how to create efficient movement. You see, "Mind is Movement, body is the Manifestation of Movement." Movement can effectively be created through establishing an upward gravitational pull in your upper back and directing that pull mentally to accomplish an endpoint from a starting point. That is how effective movement is generated, and its probably the best advice in this entire thread. Developing the torso where it can do this easily is another matter in itself. But the important thing is, the body isn't movement, and a lot of people get hurt through artificial exercise (Ex: weight training). This isn't to say artificial exercise is bad...its simply people are not used to moving their joints and moving their body in an effective manner. Rather they consciously attempt to emulate other people's movements that can be seen through their eyes, rather than emulating the actual internal and mental mechanics of that movement. Also, people are getting workout advice from people who may not have ever given a physical evaluation/been described a physical evaluation of the person their giving advice to. No matter how good the information is, this type of advice could be potentially injury inflicting and counterproductive. So be careful about who you listen to when taking advice about working out.

4) I personally wouldn't worry about how much weight you can lift. From the looks at the video it looks like your probably using too much weight. Take what I say with a grain of salt, however, since I know nothing about you or your goals/history.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-13 20:43:12
February 13 2011 20:32 GMT
#1530
tbh your video is bad example. Stomping is excessively bad. Plus I dont think any bodybuilders do cleans.

I found some power cleans
start at 3:57


by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
February 13 2011 22:17 GMT
#1531
Soooo back to deadlifting. After sitting on my arse for average 8-12 hours a day studying it felt quite good getting back to the gym and do some deadlifts.

125kg x 20 ezpz.

Back to the books...
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
Alexson
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belarus293 Posts
February 13 2011 22:35 GMT
#1532
Can anyone tell me about a good oly lifting program, thinking of doing it after SS, but I'm not sure if I should go SS-->Madcows 5x5--> oly lifting first :/..
CLUELESS HERE!
Liberal who supports gun use and supports an eye for an eye
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
February 13 2011 22:45 GMT
#1533
On February 14 2011 05:32 AoN.DimSum wrote:
I found some power cleans
start at 3:57
+ Show Spoiler +
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajCN8FSs8mo




zomg, amazons!

actually wondering the same thing alexson but I think I will probably benefit from SS for quite some time so not really worried about that yet. but olympic lifting sounds very interesting
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 13 2011 22:53 GMT
#1534
Was watching this today, power clean at 5:00 Loving the daily lift vids from cal strength! :


Lol @ 2:38
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
February 13 2011 23:17 GMT
#1535
yeah cal strength have awesome videos.

I would really recommend a coach if you want to do oly lifts. In usa, there is a list of places:http://weightlifting.teamusa.org/club-lwc-local-info/find-a-club

I dont know how to find gyms in other countries though

Plus you will also do regular lifts to supplement the oly lifts. You will always do back and front squats and pulls. Deadlifts are used in some programs. Bench,presses, pullups, and other stuff can always be done after the workout.

If you really want to learn oly lifts, I would suggest you learn as early as possible. It takes more time to learn than anything else.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-02-14 03:43:46
February 14 2011 00:26 GMT
#1536
Unfortunately it appears the only clubs in the State of New York are in Buffalo or Long Island - those being three and six hours from my school, and six and ten hours from home, respectively. Looks like I'll have to learn on my own for Oly lifting if I ever want to get into it =/.

Ilikestarcraft
Profile Blog Joined November 2004
Korea (South)17743 Posts
February 14 2011 01:02 GMT
#1537
Hey cool Buffalo has an oly weightlifting club? I should get into oly weightlifting before I graduate lol.
ils
"Nana is a goddess. Or at very least, Nana is my goddess." - KazeHydra
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
February 14 2011 01:16 GMT
#1538
I heard Lost Battalion Hall is really good.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
February 14 2011 01:33 GMT
#1539
After drinking 3 four lokos, numerous beers, random amounts of liquor, and every fast food and processed food i've avoided in for a month in 24 hours on saturday, Time to get back to being a real person! Hopefully snatches go well tomorrow as i've only done them twice in over two weeks my shoulder can loosen up/stop sucking/whatever the fuck is wrong with it.

@dimsum, how long did it take for you to get to lifting 5 days a week without getting sore? And do you keep your upper back/shoulder blades tight when doing snatches/cleans or just a flat lower back?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
February 14 2011 02:04 GMT
#1540
Im not really sure. I do still get sore somedays, just once in awhile. Also when pulling off the floor, I try to say tight as possible, which includes my upper back.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Prev 1 75 76 77 78 79 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2641
RotterdaM708
TaKeTV 306
IndyStarCraft 173
BRAT_OK 80
ZombieGrub35
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2641
RotterdaM 708
ByuN 379
IndyStarCraft 173
MaxPax 171
BRAT_OK 80
UpATreeSC 51
ZombieGrub35
RuFF_SC2 33
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3360
Shuttle 873
Mini 478
EffOrt 422
Rush 173
Dewaltoss 148
Mind 89
910 73
Zeus 70
HiyA 66
[ Show more ]
Shinee 60
hero 55
Bale 27
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 10
zelot 10
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5619
qojqva2923
Counter-Strike
fl0m5245
pashabiceps791
Fnx 684
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2764
Other Games
singsing1985
Beastyqt798
ceh9672
mouzStarbuck247
XaKoH 121
C9.Mang074
QueenE72
Trikslyr65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 111
• StrangeGG 31
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV186
Other Games
• imaqtpie514
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 15m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 15m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.