• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:37
CEST 02:37
KST 09:37
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8913 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 714

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 712 713 714 715 716 730 Next
TheResidentEvil
Profile Joined September 2010
United States991 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-14 02:17:09
December 14 2011 02:14 GMT
#14261
The recommendation for plyometrics is 1.5x your body weight not 2x. Also if you are already a basketball player and jump a lot it then it wont really matter that much. you can do them whenever but shouldnt in season.

Many coaches say that athletes should be able to
squat at least 1.5 times their bodyweight before performing any plyometric training. This
is both true and false. Remember that from their eastern roots originally plyometrics
consisted of only 2 exercises, depth jumps and “shock” jumps. Remember that a depth
jump consists of stepping off of a bench or object and upon hitting the ground
immediately jumping back up. A shock jump consists of stepping off of a very high
object and simply landing and absorbing the impact. Both of these exercises were also
used for heights of around 3 feet or more. It is true that for intense exercises like these an
athlete needs to have strength levels sufficient to absorb the high forces without injury.
Squatting 1.5 bodyweight would be a minimal number for these types of high intensity
exercises.

The problem is, after plyometrics were brought to the USA and given their now common
name, coaches began to lump all types of hopping, jumping, skipping, and bounding
drills in with them. In the process, many of the general strength recommendations such
as being able to squat 1.5 x bodyweight given for "real" plyometrics ie.- depth jumps and
shock drops, were also carried over to include all plyometric drills. Although having
good strength levels is definitely a positive thing it is not necessary to squat 1.5 x your
bodyweight to partake in light to moderate plyometric drills. These include just about all
kinds of jumps, hops and bounds. In fact, pretty much everything except for high depth
jumps and shock jumps.
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
December 14 2011 02:57 GMT
#14262
I typically recommend 2x, but yes as said above the "minimal" is 1.5x just because of the intensity of the impacts for depth drop, shock, and depth/rebound.

Generally speaking, most sports specific work has "some" component of lower intensity plyometrics so most people don't need much specific training regardless though. Sprinting itself is technically a plyometric activity.

Since strength is a foundational skill getting stronger is almost always going to help more+ combo sports specific work. However, if you need specific work on reactive ability to jump while running or change direction at high speeds then you need to practice some of those components.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Bswhunter
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia954 Posts
December 14 2011 06:24 GMT
#14263
Hey, I can do about 20 pushups in a row, but can barely do 5 pullups.
How to improve pullup count?
Stop browsing and do whatever it is you're supposed to do. TL will still be here when you get back
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
December 14 2011 08:02 GMT
#14264
Do more pullups from a deadhang (arms completely straight at the bottom), chin above bar without straining the neck at the top. You get better at doing pullups by doing pullups.
Official Entusman #21
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
December 14 2011 10:40 GMT
#14265
Just couldn't do deadlifts today. Leaned forward on a few squats and my lowerback was just shamshed. Worked up to 240pounds and then figured I'd take an easy day.

Gonna add some cottage cheese to my diet and see if that works. Otherwise I'm just gonna switch to Madcows/Bill starr.
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
December 14 2011 12:59 GMT
#14266
back to the gym from a 3-week break. feels good man.
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-14 13:52:11
December 14 2011 13:51 GMT
#14267
is there a way to glance at someone and tell how strong they are? (like are they strong or just fat?)
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
December 14 2011 14:22 GMT
#14268
On December 14 2011 22:51 FFGenerations wrote:
is there a way to glance at someone and tell how strong they are? (like are they strong or just fat?)

Unfortunately, no.

Though, generally speaking, if they lift or are strong they should have strong forearms so you might be able to get some indicator off of that.

Depending on the sport / activity you may also see huge traps and/or neck
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
chroniX
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
517 Posts
December 14 2011 17:27 GMT
#14269
I am in my 2nd week of SS. The last workouts and especially today i had a burning pain in my right lower stomach region while doing deadlifts. Is this just a normal strained muscle or a typical sign of a novice with a bad form?
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
December 14 2011 17:31 GMT
#14270
On December 15 2011 02:27 chroniX wrote:
I am in my 2nd week of SS. The last workouts and especially today i had a burning pain in my right lower stomach region while doing deadlifts. Is this just a normal strained muscle or a typical sign of a novice with a bad form?


i feel like if its your second week and you are having troubles you definitely should just lower your weights. you really need to resist the gungho attitude of starting at the highest weights possible. the linear gains are much faster than it looks. just start light and take your time to practice form.
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
December 14 2011 23:16 GMT
#14271
oh really , today i wore an old uniform and was like omg my neck has grown??

it is unfortunate LOL. maybe if there's gonna be a fight you could shout at him something like "do you do squats!??"
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
December 14 2011 23:17 GMT
#14272
Today was a very, very good day.

1. I am actually taller than I thought. All my adult life I thought I was 179,5cm and pretended to be 180cm. But a guy made a comment lately that I should be taller, the same guy that told me that I need to stop walking around with shoulders slumped forward. Since then I have been working on my posture. I don't know if this had any effect, but long story short, we measured myself today and I was 181cm, and it could very well have been another 0,5cm.
Trust me, when you are 28y and find out you are 1,5cm taller than you thought, you are gonna be happy.

2. Finally a good Deadlift training. I did 172,5kg x 12 today, and had at least one more rep in the tank, I believe. Besides that my lower back felt good for once, I also gripped the bar closer than usual and it felt much better. I feel this is basically a function of my weight loss, 3-4 months ago I simply couldn't grip the bar closer, since all the fat was in the way, but since it is gone, it may just be that the leverage of my deadlift has changed a bit and I just didn't adjust until now. I will have to do more testing here.

A very good day indeed.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
December 14 2011 23:28 GMT
#14273
On December 15 2011 02:31 Orpheos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 15 2011 02:27 chroniX wrote:
I am in my 2nd week of SS. The last workouts and especially today i had a burning pain in my right lower stomach region while doing deadlifts. Is this just a normal strained muscle or a typical sign of a novice with a bad form?


i feel like if its your second week and you are having troubles you definitely should just lower your weights. you really need to resist the gungho attitude of starting at the highest weights possible. the linear gains are much faster than it looks. just start light and take your time to practice form.


sounds like simple novice fuckup to me, it might heal very fast, and will probably heal even faster if you avoid whatever causes the pain. just be wary that it could temporarily impact your form and be frustrating (so dont get frustrated!).

do you think it was from you over-exerting yourself in a lift? if so, be aware that muscle might be super weak. you might choose to do extra work on it, or have to go slower - or at least more cautiously - on your program

there is a thread for injuries, you should post in there in the future afaik
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
FFGenerations
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
7088 Posts
December 14 2011 23:33 GMT
#14274
On December 15 2011 08:17 Malinor wrote:
Today was a very, very good day.

1. I am actually taller than I thought. All my adult life I thought I was 179,5cm and pretended to be 180cm. But a guy made a comment lately that I should be taller, the same guy that told me that I need to stop walking around with shoulders slumped forward. Since then I have been working on my posture. I don't know if this had any effect, but long story short, we measured myself today and I was 181cm, and it could very well have been another 0,5cm.
Trust me, when you are 28y and find out you are 1,5cm taller than you thought, you are gonna be happy.

2. Finally a good Deadlift training. I did 172,5kg x 12 today, and had at least one more rep in the tank, I believe. Besides that my lower back felt good for once, I also gripped the bar closer than usual and it felt much better. I feel this is basically a function of my weight loss, 3-4 months ago I simply couldn't grip the bar closer, since all the fat was in the way, but since it is gone, it may just be that the leverage of my deadlift has changed a bit and I just didn't adjust until now. I will have to do more testing here.

A very good day indeed.



haha funny, i thought i was 6'2'' (188) for most of my life until this year when i realised i might be 186 >___> but i too have been practising a crazy posture!! it is pretty epic. there is a man at my new workplace who has awful posture, and i can see just how bad i must look stooping over like a diseased tramp all the time. my new posture is crazy, a bit hard to walk sometimes
Cool BW Music Vid - youtube.com/watch?v=W54nlqJ-Nx8 ~~~~~ ᕤ OYSTERS ᕤ CLAMS ᕤ AND ᕤ CUCKOLDS ᕤ ~~~~~~ ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ PUNCH HIM ༼ ᕤ◕◡◕ ༽ᕤ
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 00:50:41
December 15 2011 00:49 GMT
#14275
Been working on my snatch a bit, fucking smashed 110 a few times today (i've hit 110 three days in a row...during finals week)
and got up to 115 but missed 120 a couple times. Hitting #s that used to be PRs way easier.

I'm not throwing my head back and getting under the bar better, keeping better bar path, and my pulling position looks more solid than it used to be before IMO
Then squatted over 400 lbs for the first time in almost a year probably lol. Need to get my numbers back up.
On December 15 2011 08:17 Malinor wrote:
Today was a very, very good day.

1. I am actually taller than I thought. All my adult life I thought I was 179,5cm and pretended to be 180cm. But a guy made a comment lately that I should be taller, the same guy that told me that I need to stop walking around with shoulders slumped forward. Since then I have been working on my posture. I don't know if this had any effect, but long story short, we measured myself today and I was 181cm, and it could very well have been another 0,5cm.
Trust me, when you are 28y and find out you are 1,5cm taller than you thought, you are gonna be happy.

2. Finally a good Deadlift training. I did 172,5kg x 12 today, and had at least one more rep in the tank, I believe. Besides that my lower back felt good for once, I also gripped the bar closer than usual and it felt much better. I feel this is basically a function of my weight loss, 3-4 months ago I simply couldn't grip the bar closer, since all the fat was in the way, but since it is gone, it may just be that the leverage of my deadlift has changed a bit and I just didn't adjust until now. I will have to do more testing here.

A very good day indeed.

Thats awesome. Wish i found out i had another inch or so on top of me but unfortunately i have reasonably good posture already I kinda noticed the hunch in a couple of your vids, you should look much better with good posture.
Sick nasty deadlifts, thats a big fucking workload.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
December 15 2011 02:31 GMT
#14276
fuck. apparently my school gym closes for winter break. meh. guess ill catch up on some running. maybe try out some HIIT
thedeadhaji *
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
39489 Posts
December 15 2011 02:51 GMT
#14277
I really wish people wouldn't do Crossfitty shit in the Squat Rack...
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
December 15 2011 03:42 GMT
#14278
nice lift decaf!

i had to lift at a regular gym today. i managed to hit the safety rack with the plates. This caused the barbell to flip off my back and all the weights slid off lolololol

i need to find a real gym for the next month.....
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 15 2011 03:57 GMT
#14279
lolz dimsum. everyones probably wondering who the small asian kid breaking shit is :p
Any criticism for my lifts?
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
December 15 2011 04:20 GMT
#14280
tbh it looks fucking solid. I dont see anything wrong

For the next month, my university gym is closed and I dont want to drive an hour to my home gym. Currently looking for crossfit gyms but most dont have open hours.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
Prev 1 712 713 714 715 716 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 23m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2478
Artosis 685
White-Ra 116
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever586
NeuroSwarm201
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv300
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8893
shahzam598
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0316
ArmadaUGS60
RuFF_SC29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick790
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta20
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 23m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 23m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 23m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.