• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:38
CEST 02:38
KST 09:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8841 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 715

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 713 714 715 716 717 730 Next
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 15 2011 04:26 GMT
#14281
On December 15 2011 13:20 AoN.DimSum wrote:
tbh it looks fucking solid. I dont see anything wrong

For the next month, my university gym is closed and I dont want to drive an hour to my home gym. Currently looking for crossfit gyms but most dont have open hours.
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh


depending on the crossfit gym, you can try just calling the place and say you're a competative oly lifter and ask if they mind if you train for a bit while you're home from school and offer a bit of oly lifting advice because they're mostly terrible at it(leave that part out). Thats what my buddy is doing for a couple weeks over winter. Check usaw and see if they're affiliated too.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
December 15 2011 07:02 GMT
#14282
I wish there was a crossfit in the area; there's one about a half hour from my university (so three hours from home) and that's the closest one =/. seems like the kind of thing that would be cool to try for a month, especially since it's such a different workout focus than what I've been doing lately, and to an extent I know it would help me.
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 15 2011 07:13 GMT
#14283
Step one)
pay 1000$ for certification

step two)
open one near your college

step three)
reap massive profits charging 100-200$/month per member
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AndyJay
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia833 Posts
December 15 2011 07:51 GMT
#14284
What do I do if no one is at the gym is there to spot for my bench press? Just do a weight you know you can do or use the smith machine?

Also is the smith machine really as bad as everyone says it is? I've only ever read bad things about it online but it seems it gets 10x more use than the cage thing at the gym. Do people know it's bad and use it anyway or maybe people just don't research things?
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
December 15 2011 07:56 GMT
#14285
Either don't put on the clips so you can dump it or do the roll of shame.
Official Entusman #21
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
December 15 2011 07:57 GMT
#14286
On December 15 2011 16:13 decafchicken wrote:
Step one)
pay 1000$ for certification

step two)
open one near your college

step three)
reap massive profits charging 100-200$/month per member


You forgot step 1.5, "convince the entire population of my university that it's important to do more than curl and bench (guys) or run and do situps (girls)"
Release
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States4397 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-15 08:28:43
December 15 2011 08:27 GMT
#14287
On December 15 2011 16:51 AndyJay wrote:
What do I do if no one is at the gym is there to spot for my bench press? Just do a weight you know you can do or use the smith machine?

Also is the smith machine really as bad as everyone says it is? I've only ever read bad things about it online but it seems it gets 10x more use than the cage thing at the gym. Do people know it's bad and use it anyway or maybe people just don't research things?

At some point in their lives, they were taught that smith = freeweight. They lift more on smith, so they think it's better and keep going back to it.

It is worse because it really isn't a compound lift anymore; you're not forced to stabilize the weight yourself.

On December 15 2011 16:57 phyre112 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 15 2011 16:13 decafchicken wrote:
Step one)
pay 1000$ for certification

step two)
open one near your college

step three)
reap massive profits charging 100-200$/month per member


You forgot step 1.5, "convince the entire population of my university that it's important to do more than curl and bench (guys) or run and do situps (girls)"


step 1.6)
pay $10,000 for Ripptoe to come to your university to give a presentation.
☺
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
December 15 2011 11:59 GMT
#14288
I think a lot of people are just afraid of free weights. I used to be the same when I started - and I still am sometimes before a big squat
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
December 15 2011 13:37 GMT
#14289
when I was in the US

I was getting out of the parking lot and a girl hit my car. She had a crossFit shirt. She had nice tits, no ass.

but I'd tap her. :D
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
purecarnagge
Profile Joined August 2010
719 Posts
December 15 2011 14:57 GMT
#14290
I"m lifting on the smith machine until I feel I'm no longer having progression. Then once I see some results and I'm committed to working out I will look at investing more into a gym that is focused on power lifting.

I hate to say it...I'm broke. No $$ parents added me to there gym so I'm doing what I can. When i get my life sorted I'll find a real gym. I'm also very intimidated at lifting from a real squat rack or joining a gym with guys that really lift alot. Something that I've never done before, and honestly most gym rats aren't the most firendly when the newbie is getting in their way. Its not like I'm banging out huge reps or huge weights...I'm an overweight out of shape office worker.
glurio
Profile Joined April 2010
Germany597 Posts
December 15 2011 15:44 GMT
#14291
The biggest guys are usually the friendliest.
Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right. - Henry Ford
beberly
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States117 Posts
December 15 2011 15:54 GMT
#14292
On December 15 2011 23:57 purecarnagge wrote:
I"m lifting on the smith machine until I feel I'm no longer having progression. Then once I see some results and I'm committed to working out I will look at investing more into a gym that is focused on power lifting.

I hate to say it...I'm broke. No $$ parents added me to there gym so I'm doing what I can. When i get my life sorted I'll find a real gym. I'm also very intimidated at lifting from a real squat rack or joining a gym with guys that really lift alot. Something that I've never done before, and honestly most gym rats aren't the most firendly when the newbie is getting in their way. Its not like I'm banging out huge reps or huge weights...I'm an overweight out of shape office worker.


Most of the people who lift at real gyms will pay you no mind unless you're doing something absolutely retarded. If you're doing your lifts with something even approaching good form, are mindful of gym etiquette, and are making an effort, for the most part they'll either ignore you or respect what you're doing. They may even offer advice if they see you're genuinely trying and are making small errors.

Nobody is born a powerlifter. Everyone started lifting tiny weights. But not everyone has the commitment to make their tiny weights bigger, and that's what deserves respect, not the weight on the bar.
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
December 15 2011 16:08 GMT
#14293
On December 15 2011 23:57 purecarnagge wrote:
I"m lifting on the smith machine until I feel I'm no longer having progression. Then once I see some results and I'm committed to working out I will look at investing more into a gym that is focused on power lifting.

I hate to say it...I'm broke. No $$ parents added me to there gym so I'm doing what I can. When i get my life sorted I'll find a real gym. I'm also very intimidated at lifting from a real squat rack or joining a gym with guys that really lift alot. Something that I've never done before, and honestly most gym rats aren't the most firendly when the newbie is getting in their way. Its not like I'm banging out huge reps or huge weights...I'm an overweight out of shape office worker.


I would bet a lot that the people who actually move heavy free weights will be more friendly and more supportive than 97% than of those "Gym-rats", who only do machines. For the sole reason that these guys have a much higher probability to actually know what they are doing. If I ever try to help someone out in the gym, it is a guy who does some weird squats or awkward deadlifts. I never approach a guy who is doing his sixth different biceps curl exercie, because it is useless. He won't believe me anyways.

If you only have the smith machine, I would try to do all your upper body exercises with dumbbells, DB-Press (standing), DB-Bench, DB-Rows, maybe even DB-Snatches. Should be way better than a Smith Machine Bench Press.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
NeedsmoreCELLTECH
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Netherlands1242 Posts
December 15 2011 16:11 GMT
#14294
On December 16 2011 00:44 glurio wrote:
The biggest guys are usually the friendliest.

I can totally vouch for this. All the powerlifters are my gym have adopted me as their mascot, even though I was the only other person using the squat rack (thus getting in their way).
Get huge or die mirin | Diamond on LoL
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
December 15 2011 17:28 GMT
#14295
On December 16 2011 00:44 glurio wrote:
The biggest guys are usually the friendliest.


Agreed. The guys you see moving heavy weights are usually in the gym because its their passion and enjoy the opportunity to share their love for the gym with you.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
December 15 2011 21:22 GMT
#14296
I'll be the first to admit that smith bench presses have their uses...
"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
December 15 2011 21:31 GMT
#14297
On December 16 2011 06:22 sJarl wrote:
I'll be the first to admit that smith bench presses have their uses...


But compared to a free barbell/dumbbell incline/decline/flat bench those uses are few, and geared towards a more advanced lifter.

IMO the smith machine isn't a completely useless piece of equipment, but we would still be better off if they were all melted down and used to make more power racks.
Orpheos
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1663 Posts
December 15 2011 21:39 GMT
#14298
im just always amused when i see guys squatting like 135lbx15reps on the smith machine, all of their weight on their toes, leaning against the machine to use the frame to cheat and having a friend standing by to spot them. i mean really guys?
funkie
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
Venezuela9377 Posts
December 15 2011 22:41 GMT
#14299
On December 16 2011 06:39 Orpheos wrote:
im just always amused when i see guys squatting like 135lbx15reps on the smith machine, all of their weight on their toes, leaning against the machine to use the frame to cheat and having a friend standing by to spot them. i mean really guys?


It's called #fuckarounditis and it's a true disease.

Motherfuckers invading gyms around the world and spreading the disease. WE NEED TO FIGHT THIS BACK!! sadfa
CJ Entusman #6! · Strength is the basis of athletic ability. -Rippetoe /* http://j.mp/TL-App <- TL iPhone App 2.0! */
GoTuNk!
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Chile4591 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-16 01:25:28
December 16 2011 01:17 GMT
#14300
Now that uni is over registered on a new gym. ITS FUCKING AMAZING.

Features:

2 min drive from home (awwww yeah)
IVANKO BARBELLS, NEW (prolly first time I lift a barbell not made in China). 1 squat rack and 1 bench rack, same as current gym.
Water dispenser, with the coldest water I'ever drink.
FREE SAUNA.
Prev 1 713 714 715 716 717 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 22m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2478
Artosis 685
White-Ra 116
910 44
Dota 2
monkeys_forever586
NeuroSwarm201
Counter-Strike
m0e_tv300
Super Smash Bros
AZ_Axe160
Other Games
summit1g8893
shahzam598
JimRising 575
C9.Mang0316
ArmadaUGS60
RuFF_SC29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick790
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream334
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 120
• davetesta20
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 22m
Afreeca Starleague
9h 22m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
23h 22m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 10h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.