• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:45
CEST 19:45
KST 02:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7537 users

TL Health and Fitness Initiative 2011 - Page 563

Forum Index > Sports
Post a Reply
Prev 1 561 562 563 564 565 730 Next
Tulius
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil52 Posts
September 09 2011 12:17 GMT
#11241
sup guys

after playing a little with the barbell I decided to add power cleans to my routine.
and I gotta be the next one to say
power cleans are awesome and I wish I had started doing them earlier
only bad thing is that my gym has no bumper plates
that said, now I have to chose between
a) buy bumper plates and take them to the gym
b) drop my job and move to a bigger city since this one only has 2 gyms and the other one is even worse lol
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 09 2011 13:03 GMT
#11242
On September 09 2011 15:59 Froadac wrote:
Eshlow: Using only regular barbell at a house is it feasible/recommended to powerclean?


Sure, if you can keep decent form.
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Earll
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway847 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-09 18:13:18
September 09 2011 13:26 GMT
#11243
On September 09 2011 20:32 glurio wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 09 2011 15:30 Earll wrote:

So If i am not reaching that with the apropriate amount of food\KCAL i have set out per day it would be beneficial with some sort of protein supplemenets I Guess? Also do you have any idea what amount of KCAL is good to aim for if I wanted to gain a small amount of weight, but mainly focus on fat loss? (say getting up to 80~85 kg ?) Currently I think i am at about 150g protein or so a day but dunno about the KCAL, so could eiether just eat more meats i guess or supplement, or a mix.



Calories depend on your bodyfat%, and your weight. You need to calculate your BMR.
And decide what you want. If your small, screw fat loss, if your fat first lose some of it, you will have some beginner gains in muscle so eat at a deficit.
Just state your height and weight, post a picture if you want. And say whats your goal. WIll be much easier to help you reach it then.

Protein supplements are exactly for this purpose, not getting enough protein/cals through your normal diet.



I dont know my bodyfat %, I am 71 kg at the moment and 181 cm. So I am not at all fat, and I do not want to lose weight. But I want to lose body fat % obviously =p I am going to eat at burgerking today though, fml : ( but found a gym that was only 199kroner a month which seems nice, so i'll sign up to that. Question, is it a lot more beneficial to work out with someone when doing something like starting strength? (apart from the moral support or whatever.) (I mean with something like bench press isnt it good to have someone making sure you don't kill yourself?) or can you be all alone all the time and still do perfectly fine?

Edit: and on a final note, To get maximum\close to maxium benefit from working out with weights i need 3 days a week? The rest of the days would it be a good idea to do cardio? Or i guess maybe 3 days cardio 3 days weights 1 day rest?

(editedit: just as I posted this i realized this question is probably well answerd in starting strength\the starting strength wiki, and possibly even in the OP! : D)
Wat
Zafrumi
Profile Joined June 2009
Switzerland1272 Posts
September 09 2011 13:37 GMT
#11244
New PR: 1x77.5kg c&j!
good stuff. Now i'm gonna enjoy one of the last sunny days of this summer by the lake and show off my big gunz lolol
"Strong people are harder to kill than weak people and more useful in general" -Mark Rippetoe
sJarl
Profile Joined September 2010
Iceland1699 Posts
September 09 2011 13:41 GMT
#11245
Talking about guns...what do you guys consider big guns? 15"? 16"? 18+" ?

"Witness!" - Karsa Orlong
inimenesc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Estonia374 Posts
September 09 2011 14:06 GMT
#11246
I think i have like 10"

Tomorrow again gym session, going to write it here allready cus i am making a post

Tomorrow:
squat: 60kg 5-5-5-5-5 (i dont dare to go up yet, something doest feel right)
bp: 57,5kg 5-5-5-5-5
powercleans: 52.5kg 3-3-3-3-3

Aftergym feelings: Like a boss.
"When game is going full retard, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you´re fucking done for." -n0tail 2014
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-09 14:33:46
September 09 2011 14:13 GMT
#11247
I have 18,7'', but I guess at my bodyweight it is pretty hard to judge how much of that is actually guns and not just fat. I think my arms look pretty decent though.
I don't know, I think when you see someone you can see instantly if his arms are impressive or not. So size does only matter compared to bodysize (note: that does not hold true for one other important body part).
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Sneakyz
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden2361 Posts
September 09 2011 14:13 GMT
#11248
Dunno really, my arms are around 18 inches flexed but I dont think they look very big. Depends a bit on the rest of your body I guess. I'm still a bit fat though.
I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 09 2011 15:05 GMT
#11249
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/110908-2015-world-weightlifting-championships-may-come-to-houston

OMG! Would anyone want to go in 2015 if this happens?? We can have a TL meetup.
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
September 09 2011 15:24 GMT
#11250
On September 10 2011 00:05 AoN.DimSum wrote:
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/110908-2015-world-weightlifting-championships-may-come-to-houston

OMG! Would anyone want to go in 2015 if this happens?? We can have a TL meetup.


Hopefully you're lifting in it
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
AoN.DimSum
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States2983 Posts
September 09 2011 15:26 GMT
#11251
haha hopefully
by my idol krokkis : "U better hope Finland wont have WCG next year and that I wont gain shitloads of skill, cause then I will wash ur mouth with soap, little man."
inimenesc
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Estonia374 Posts
September 09 2011 15:30 GMT
#11252
On September 10 2011 00:26 AoN.DimSum wrote:
haha hopefully

you will be winning it!!
"When game is going full retard, you can only go with it. If you start going against it, if you start going half retard, you´re fucking done for." -n0tail 2014
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 09 2011 16:40 GMT
#11253
@Eshlow:
I'm still having a problem with both my right and left shoulders - it started with just the left, but now get the occasional twinge in my right as well, so I assume I've been doing some "compensating" with my right on bench press and other related exercises.

[image loading]


Started in my left about a month ago, just a little Twinge when I would bench press heavy. It's slowly gotten worse, which, considering I haven't backed off on it (if anything I'm working harder) isn't surprising. An extremely dull pain is now present any time I attempt to extend the left arm forward, such as right now when I type at a keyboard. If I do so with the elbows "spread" (parallel with the floor if I'm standing) It's much more severe than if I have them "tucked" (proper bench pressing form). The farther the bench pressing motion goes, the worse the pain is.

Image above is a very.... general overview of what hurts. The pain is concentrated in the center of the front deltoid, I assume being where the Humerus fits into the shoulder joint. I haven't quite gotten to the anatomy of the shoulder yet in my textbooks - give me a week =p. When I try to complete a pressing motion, the pain is through the entirety of my front delt and upper trapezius muscles.

Bench pressing, or a similar unweighted motion is what hurts. It doesn't get significantly worse with added weight. Overhead pressing is fine, rowing is fine, pullups and chinups are fine. Power cleans are fine as long as I manage to actually get under the bar in time.

Since this all started when I tried bench pressing 4x/week (wanted to hit BW bench by the end of summer) I was operating on the assumption that it was just a bursitis type thing - I've dealt with that in several other joints (knee, knuckles, elbow) before with rest, advil/alieve, and ice. My shoulder isn't responding to that right now though, and I'm going to have a hell of a time getting through my first "real" rugby practice on monday if I can't figure it out. Any advice you have would be fantastic. I'm not completely resting it right now - benching once a week at most, but doing LOTS of overhead stuff (jerks, push press, high incline bench) which doesn't bother me at all, as well as a lot of rowing (I would say I have 1.5x the volume of "pull" around my shoulder joint that I do "push".)
Drowsy
Profile Blog Joined November 2005
United States4876 Posts
September 09 2011 16:55 GMT
#11254
On September 10 2011 00:05 AoN.DimSum wrote:
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpp/sports/local/110908-2015-world-weightlifting-championships-may-come-to-houston

OMG! Would anyone want to go in 2015 if this happens?? We can have a TL meetup.


I live in AZ currently, and I would probably make a trip there if I still live in the southwest if and when this happens.
Our Protoss, Who art in Aiur HongUn be Thy name; Thy stalker come, Thy will be blunk, on ladder as it is in Micro Tourny. Give us this win in our daily ladder, and forgive us our cheeses, As we forgive those who play zerg against us.
Mementoss
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada2595 Posts
September 09 2011 17:02 GMT
#11255
After performing squats my lower back feels tight, (like similar to after doing deadlifts). Is this normal? It isn't bugging me and goes away quickly after (by end of workout). Maybe it could be because im squatting low bar too low? Or leaning too far forward? Any help with this would be appreciated.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uu96xMwFVXw
Snapplecakes
Profile Joined May 2011
Norway78 Posts
September 09 2011 18:10 GMT
#11256
i get that too if im really straining myself on the reps and it happens if you bend too far forward so you use alot of the lower back to actually get back up.. aint that good for ya
SQUATS AND OATS!
Velocirapture
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States983 Posts
September 09 2011 18:26 GMT
#11257
A lot of people on here seem to believe protein supplements should be avoided if possible (only used if you can't meet your daily requirements for Cal and protein) but my PT advises me that I should have 30g of protein within 30min of completing my workout. While I can get all the protein and Cal I need from regular food, most protein requires preparation and in order to meet that time frame I use a supplement powder. Just figured id put that little bit o' info out there.
phyre112
Profile Joined August 2009
United States3090 Posts
September 09 2011 19:06 GMT
#11258
On September 10 2011 03:26 Velocirapture wrote:
A lot of people on here seem to believe protein supplements should be avoided if possible (only used if you can't meet your daily requirements for Cal and protein) but my PT advises me that I should have 30g of protein within 30min of completing my workout. While I can get all the protein and Cal I need from regular food, most protein requires preparation and in order to meet that time frame I use a supplement powder. Just figured id put that little bit o' info out there.


Broscience, I do believe. If you workout fasted, there's an advantage to taking a pre-workout drink, usually something based around bcaas for the quick absorption. If you don't workout fasted (for example I like to way three hours before workout) then you are still digesting food, and there are plenty of amino acids in your bloodstream. Just make sure that you do eventually eat something before you go to bed, because i'm sure a pre workout meal doesn't have ALL your calories.
Earll
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Norway847 Posts
September 09 2011 19:11 GMT
#11259
O shii.. Ordered my membership to gym today\am a gym member and will start going tomorrow I guess. Have no Idea wtf to do or how to do it though so will have to read lots today\tomorrow I guess. The gym is a pretty low on staff though, and I am going alone, so I will probably be 100% alone with this workout and I have never done any form of barbell workout before\have never even touched a barbell before. will I kill myself? : D
Wat
eshlow
Profile Joined June 2008
United States5210 Posts
September 09 2011 19:13 GMT
#11260
On September 10 2011 01:40 phyre112 wrote:
@Eshlow:
I'm still having a problem with both my right and left shoulders - it started with just the left, but now get the occasional twinge in my right as well, so I assume I've been doing some "compensating" with my right on bench press and other related exercises.

[image loading]


Started in my left about a month ago, just a little Twinge when I would bench press heavy. It's slowly gotten worse, which, considering I haven't backed off on it (if anything I'm working harder) isn't surprising. An extremely dull pain is now present any time I attempt to extend the left arm forward, such as right now when I type at a keyboard. If I do so with the elbows "spread" (parallel with the floor if I'm standing) It's much more severe than if I have them "tucked" (proper bench pressing form). The farther the bench pressing motion goes, the worse the pain is.

Image above is a very.... general overview of what hurts. The pain is concentrated in the center of the front deltoid, I assume being where the Humerus fits into the shoulder joint. I haven't quite gotten to the anatomy of the shoulder yet in my textbooks - give me a week =p. When I try to complete a pressing motion, the pain is through the entirety of my front delt and upper trapezius muscles.

Bench pressing, or a similar unweighted motion is what hurts. It doesn't get significantly worse with added weight. Overhead pressing is fine, rowing is fine, pullups and chinups are fine. Power cleans are fine as long as I manage to actually get under the bar in time.

Since this all started when I tried bench pressing 4x/week (wanted to hit BW bench by the end of summer) I was operating on the assumption that it was just a bursitis type thing - I've dealt with that in several other joints (knee, knuckles, elbow) before with rest, advil/alieve, and ice. My shoulder isn't responding to that right now though, and I'm going to have a hell of a time getting through my first "real" rugby practice on monday if I can't figure it out. Any advice you have would be fantastic. I'm not completely resting it right now - benching once a week at most, but doing LOTS of overhead stuff (jerks, push press, high incline bench) which doesn't bother me at all, as well as a lot of rowing (I would say I have 1.5x the volume of "pull" around my shoulder joint that I do "push".)


Can you give me some more information in the spoiler below?

Also, your picture didn't work. Don't answer questions you already answered unless you can elaborate more on them in which case go for it.

+ Show Spoiler +
1. Google a pic and mark where it hurts.

2. What exercises hurt? Which shoulder articulations hurt?
http://www.exrx.net/Articulations/Shoulder.html

3. What type of pain is it? Burning? Ache? Tingling? Sharp?

4. What would you rate the pain at on a 0/10 scale? 0 being no pain, 10 being go to the emergency room.

5. Acute or chronic (chronic more than ~4 weeks)? What date was onset? How has the pain improved since the initial injury?

6. Have you been training through pain? If so, how long?

7. How deep is the pain? Is it more superficial tissues? Or does it seem to be more inside or around the joint? Describe it.

8. What have you been doing for recovery purposes?

9. What seems to help? What seems to make it worse? Is it constant? Does it increase/decrease with certain activities?

10. Check the tissue quality of the surrounding muscles. Which ones are tight? Which ones are tender? Is there any swelling?

11. How does it feel after exercise (if any)? How does it feel at the beginning of the day? How about the end of the day?

12. Any previous injury history?

13. How's your posture?

14. What is your current workout routine for that bodypart? Do you play any sports?

15. Any other information I should be aware of or that comes to mind that may help?

Initial impressions --
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Prev 1 561 562 563 564 565 730 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2641
RotterdaM708
TaKeTV 306
IndyStarCraft 173
BRAT_OK 80
ZombieGrub35
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2641
RotterdaM 708
ByuN 379
IndyStarCraft 173
MaxPax 171
BRAT_OK 80
UpATreeSC 51
ZombieGrub35
RuFF_SC2 33
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3360
Shuttle 873
Mini 478
EffOrt 422
Rush 173
Dewaltoss 148
Mind 89
910 73
Zeus 70
HiyA 66
[ Show more ]
Shinee 60
hero 55
Bale 27
sorry 25
ToSsGirL 17
Sexy 10
zelot 10
Sacsri 8
scan(afreeca) 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5619
qojqva2923
Counter-Strike
fl0m5245
pashabiceps791
Fnx 684
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby2764
Other Games
singsing1985
Beastyqt798
ceh9672
mouzStarbuck247
XaKoH 121
C9.Mang074
QueenE72
Trikslyr65
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV205
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 111
• StrangeGG 31
• Reevou 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 28
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV186
Other Games
• imaqtpie514
• Shiphtur296
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
5h 15m
Afreeca Starleague
16h 15m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
17h 15m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 6h
Patches Events
1d 22h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.