• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:17
CEST 18:17
KST 01:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)69Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8820 users

A Second Overview of HotS Zerg - Page 9

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
281 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 15 Next All
iPhoneAppz
Profile Joined March 2013
United States37 Posts
October 08 2013 11:52 GMT
#161
On October 08 2013 07:33 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2013 07:28 Lobotomist wrote:
Blade,

I don't see a mention of getting corruptors in zvp vs colossus anywhere, have you mostly phased them out in favor of vipers? Corruptors are a bit more forgiving if you scout the robo bay late, as you don't have to wait for energy, as with the viper. Do you find that with proper hive timing, you don't find yourself in this position?


That is correct my viper timing is pretty perfect in that I won't die to any colossi timings before vipers are out. Also I dislike corruptors because they suck and can't do anything once colossi are gone other then spew green shit over stalkers/immortals/etc.

If my opponent is going heavy colossi (like 6+) I will do corruptors, but if it's just 4-5 vipers are just fine. Even vs 6+ vipers are still good obviously, but corruptors are actually useful then as well.


Blade, if you do end up going with corruptors, do you transition to Brood Lords instead of Ultras?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 09 2013 19:15 GMT
#162
On October 08 2013 20:52 iPhoneAppz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 08 2013 07:33 blade55555 wrote:
On October 08 2013 07:28 Lobotomist wrote:
Blade,

I don't see a mention of getting corruptors in zvp vs colossus anywhere, have you mostly phased them out in favor of vipers? Corruptors are a bit more forgiving if you scout the robo bay late, as you don't have to wait for energy, as with the viper. Do you find that with proper hive timing, you don't find yourself in this position?


That is correct my viper timing is pretty perfect in that I won't die to any colossi timings before vipers are out. Also I dislike corruptors because they suck and can't do anything once colossi are gone other then spew green shit over stalkers/immortals/etc.

If my opponent is going heavy colossi (like 6+) I will do corruptors, but if it's just 4-5 vipers are just fine. Even vs 6+ vipers are still good obviously, but corruptors are actually useful then as well.


Blade, if you do end up going with corruptors, do you transition to Brood Lords instead of Ultras?

Depends on the situation such as map and opponents units comp
When I think of something else, something will go here
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-15 19:57:47
October 15 2013 19:26 GMT
#163
In ZvZ, how do you defend the melee build (upgraded ling into ultra) when you are going muta into ling upgrade + SH ?

And same question for an opponent going mass muta ?

i3rainless
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany34 Posts
October 15 2013 22:31 GMT
#164
Tanks so much for this guide. Learning zerg right now. Im changing from toss to zerg. Zerg is more fun :D
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 16 2013 00:02 GMT
#165
On October 16 2013 04:26 Insoleet wrote:
In ZvZ, how do you defend the melee build (upgraded ling into ultra) when you are going muta into ling upgrade + SH ?

And same question for an opponent going mass muta ?



Well muta/swarmhost will kinda shit on that build really hard as he won't have much to take on sh + mass muta.

If opponents going mass muta should be going muta yourself so it goes into a muta war you don't transition into sh in muta wars unless you want to lose xD
When I think of something else, something will go here
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-16 09:24:14
October 16 2013 09:23 GMT
#166
On October 16 2013 09:02 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2013 04:26 Insoleet wrote:
In ZvZ, how do you defend the melee build (upgraded ling into ultra) when you are going muta into ling upgrade + SH ?

And same question for an opponent going mass muta ?



Well muta/swarmhost will kinda shit on that build really hard as he won't have much to take on sh + mass muta.

If opponents going mass muta should be going muta yourself so it goes into a muta war you don't transition into sh in muta wars unless you want to lose xD


Yes but the mass 1/1 ling harass is really cripping hard your economy, delay your third, because your lings are not strong enough. Shoud l defend with splitted mutas ?

And against mass muta I tried to got muta into double ling upgrade + Infestors but that didnt work. So many muta, my infestors couldnt kill them all. Maybe muta into roach/hydra/infestors would have worked better...
I really hate muta wars. But I guess its the best way to play vs muta when you are starting with mutas ?

blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 16 2013 12:35 GMT
#167
On October 16 2013 18:23 Insoleet wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2013 09:02 blade55555 wrote:
On October 16 2013 04:26 Insoleet wrote:
In ZvZ, how do you defend the melee build (upgraded ling into ultra) when you are going muta into ling upgrade + SH ?

And same question for an opponent going mass muta ?



Well muta/swarmhost will kinda shit on that build really hard as he won't have much to take on sh + mass muta.

If opponents going mass muta should be going muta yourself so it goes into a muta war you don't transition into sh in muta wars unless you want to lose xD


Yes but the mass 1/1 ling harass is really cripping hard your economy, delay your third, because your lings are not strong enough. Shoud l defend with splitted mutas ?

And against mass muta I tried to got muta into double ling upgrade + Infestors but that didnt work. So many muta, my infestors couldnt kill them all. Maybe muta into roach/hydra/infestors would have worked better...
I really hate muta wars. But I guess its the best way to play vs muta when you are starting with mutas ?



When you face the 1/1 ling harass you need to make more banelings then normal and I would start +1 melee before mutalisks as well so that banelings can 1 shot lings again.

In a muta war you can't go muta into double ling upgrade then infestors you will always have a timing where he can kill you. If you hate muta wars you might want to avoid going mutalisks then as (for me anyway) seems like muta wars are pretty common.
When I think of something else, something will go here
ShnAndrei
Profile Joined March 2011
Romania164 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-21 12:45:56
October 21 2013 12:44 GMT
#168
Bravo! This is useful even for me as a Terran player! Ty so much for keeping the casual player base posted on the intricacies of this briliant game!

EDIT: I love you guys!
AussieStarcraft
Profile Joined October 2013
Australia31 Posts
October 21 2013 12:49 GMT
#169
Still trying to digest! Thanks for the knowledge dump Blade!
http://www.youtube.com/user/AussieStarcraft
Cyro
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United Kingdom20344 Posts
October 21 2013 14:04 GMT
#170
I'm so confused, how did i not see this earlier? o.0

Thanks a ton blade!
"oh my god my overclock... I got a single WHEA error on the 23rd hour, 9 minutes" -Belial88
TRaFFiC
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada1448 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-22 11:19:29
October 22 2013 11:18 GMT
#171
This guide is my bible. It's the first thing I open up when I'm in the mood to ladder. Thanks Blade!

Questions for anyone willing:

zvp...

I only watched a couple of your reps, but I noticed you go sh range before making any sh. Do you ever skip range for more sh if being all inned or do you ever wait to get it?

Do you have burrow and unburrow on r hotkey? I find it annoying when you add new sh to a control group they will unburrow before reburrowing.

What's an approx timing for the 4th base and do you add on macro hatches?
2v2, 1v1, Zerg, Terran http://www.twitch.tv/trafficsc2
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 22 2013 12:37 GMT
#172
On October 22 2013 20:18 TRaFFiC wrote:
This guide is my bible. It's the first thing I open up when I'm in the mood to ladder. Thanks Blade!

Questions for anyone willing:

zvp...

I only watched a couple of your reps, but I noticed you go sh range before making any sh. Do you ever skip range for more sh if being all inned or do you ever wait to get it?

Do you have burrow and unburrow on r hotkey? I find it annoying when you add new sh to a control group they will unburrow before reburrowing.

What's an approx timing for the 4th base and do you add on macro hatches?



I will skip range if I think they are doing a timing and I need sh asap, otherwise no.

Yes burrow/unburrow is same hotkey.

I get my 4th base when I saturate my bases normally, earlier if it's zvt (9 minutes if they do standard 3 CC). ZvP depends on what protoss is doing for my 4th timing.
When I think of something else, something will go here
invisible.terran
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States280 Posts
October 22 2013 13:13 GMT
#173
With this sort of gasless expand, how should I defend mutas? Infestors or hydras?
"Until the very very top, in almost anything, all that matters is how much work you put in, the only problem is most people cant work hard even at things they do enjoy, much less things they dont have a real passion for." - Idra
Destruktor
Profile Joined June 2013
Spain60 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-22 14:54:18
October 22 2013 14:49 GMT
#174
Hi everyone! Is possible to beat a Terran 4M with infestors instead of mutas? The big problem I see is mutas are too weak on direct battles. I know I should make more defense for drops with infestors.
Thanks
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
October 22 2013 18:17 GMT
#175
On October 22 2013 23:49 Destruktor wrote:
Hi everyone! Is possible to beat a Terran 4M with infestors instead of mutas? The big problem I see is mutas are too weak on direct battles. I know I should make more defense for drops with infestors.
Thanks
Roach hydra into infestor is somewhat viable, but you definitely have to do damage or delay the third. I haven't seen many (any) top level games where zergs go ling/bane/infestor.
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 22 2013 18:44 GMT
#176
On October 22 2013 22:13 invisible.terran wrote:
With this sort of gasless expand, how should I defend mutas? Infestors or hydras?

Hydra is better IMO but I don't think gas less is a good build unless the other Zerg doesn't scout it. So easy to abuse gas less when scouted.
When I think of something else, something will go here
kotsosh
Profile Joined August 2013
12 Posts
October 27 2013 18:41 GMT
#177
Blade in ZvP i encounter more and more void ray into 3rd openings into void ray collo compositions. I need hydra along with my SH to stay alive early but when it goes to late game do i have to rely on creep with spores and 60min games? Nothing i try seems to be able to counter that deathball and while retreating with SHs buys me time, at somepoint i have nowhere to go to. I was thinking of skipping hydras for mass corruptors, but SHs will have to be the core still right? Maybe infestors instread of vipers?

Do you have any replays vs that style?

I' m diamond
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 27 2013 19:09 GMT
#178
On October 28 2013 03:41 kotsosh wrote:
Blade in ZvP i encounter more and more void ray into 3rd openings into void ray collo compositions. I need hydra along with my SH to stay alive early but when it goes to late game do i have to rely on creep with spores and 60min games? Nothing i try seems to be able to counter that deathball and while retreating with SHs buys me time, at somepoint i have nowhere to go to. I was thinking of skipping hydras for mass corruptors, but SHs will have to be the core still right? Maybe infestors instread of vipers?

Do you have any replays vs that style?

I' m diamond


There should be replays in the thread, but vs void/colossi ultra/hydra/infestor/viper/swarmhost is really strong versus that composition. You do not have to do spores and play 60 minute games to beat this style.

When I think of something else, something will go here
kotsosh
Profile Joined August 2013
12 Posts
October 27 2013 19:16 GMT
#179
Thanks man, i d/led the replay pack but only checked the 2 replays of yours, i ll look the pro ones after wcs!
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
November 04 2013 22:38 GMT
#180
Blade, how do you feel about 3 hatch before pool vs gate expands? I've seen pros use it pretty frequently, and it seems to work vs the late scouting that toss usually do. to me it seems risky, and very vulnerable to pylon blocks or zealot/stalker/msc pokes. When and how should one execute a 3-hatch before pool build? only when toss doesn't scout and you suspect a gate expand? if you see a gate expand? Only to metagame your opponent?
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
RotterdaM232
TaKeTV 127
IndyStarCraft 15
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 1493
RotterdaM 189
ByuN 114
BRAT_OK 7
IndyStarCraft 0
MaxPax 0
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 4182
Bisu 1027
Shuttle 1002
Stork 525
BeSt 383
Mini 346
EffOrt 308
actioN 282
Rush 257
Horang2 251
[ Show more ]
hero 124
Mind 121
Light 100
Yoon 88
910 84
Zeus 72
Mong 60
Barracks 60
Snow 60
sorry 46
Shinee 41
Sea.KH 41
JYJ 31
HiyA 31
Terrorterran 27
Killer 25
Bale 24
ToSsGirL 23
Sexy 18
yabsab 16
scan(afreeca) 15
Sacsri 11
zelot 11
Dota 2
Gorgc5949
qojqva2920
Dendi1305
Counter-Strike
fl0m3337
Fnx 726
Other Games
singsing2523
hiko873
ceh9467
Beastyqt459
Livibee329
XBOCT290
Hui .235
XaKoH 146
Trikslyr56
QueenE32
Chillindude20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 9
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2979
Other Games
• Shiphtur194
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
6h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
17h 43m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
18h 43m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 7h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.