• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:29
CEST 11:29
KST 18:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8987 users

A Second Overview of HotS Zerg - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
281 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 15 Next All
DjayEl
Profile Joined August 2010
France252 Posts
September 17 2013 11:10 GMT
#141
Hi Blade, I need your help against the 2 immo 2 colo all-in. You seem to have no problem dealing with it using Roach + Swarmhost, but played a game where the Protoss was pushing the front of my natural at 11:00 with 4 zealots, 2 immos, 2 colos, 6 stalkers, 7 sentries, 1 WP and 1 core and I just had not enough units to defend. I had some roaches and like 4-5 SH building, and knew exactly what my opponent was doing, as well as pretty crisp development (imo).

Here is the replay if it can help:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45931329/ZvP DjayEl 2 immo 2 colo.SC2Replay

What would you have done against such an early attack? Should I make only SH without any roach before starting roach production? Seems like I did something wrong, but cannot figure out what :s
Zheryn
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden3653 Posts
September 17 2013 12:27 GMT
#142
On September 17 2013 20:10 DjayEl wrote:
Hi Blade, I need your help against the 2 immo 2 colo all-in. You seem to have no problem dealing with it using Roach + Swarmhost, but played a game where the Protoss was pushing the front of my natural at 11:00 with 4 zealots, 2 immos, 2 colos, 6 stalkers, 7 sentries, 1 WP and 1 core and I just had not enough units to defend. I had some roaches and like 4-5 SH building, and knew exactly what my opponent was doing, as well as pretty crisp development (imo).

Here is the replay if it can help:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45931329/ZvP DjayEl 2 immo 2 colo.SC2Replay

What would you have done against such an early attack? Should I make only SH without any roach before starting roach production? Seems like I did something wrong, but cannot figure out what :s


Basically you're not spending your larva on drones fast enough in the early game and you're getting supply blocked. You're behind in workers for the first 8 minutes of the game which means that you will never have enough units to defend it.

Hypothetically, if you would have had decent macro up to that point, and assuming you scout it as early as you did this game: I'd have skipped the overseers and spines, and gone straight for the swarm hosts before roaches, and made sure to get the creep spread out.
hundred thousand krouner
TangSC
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
Canada1866 Posts
September 17 2013 20:51 GMT
#143
A well-written and thorough overview
Coaching www.allin-academy.com | Team www.All-Inspiration.com
iPhoneAppz
Profile Joined March 2013
United States37 Posts
September 17 2013 21:16 GMT
#144
As a silver player on the way to gold, I think that this post is amazing! Thank you so much for giving back to the community.
Joedaddy
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States1948 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-09-20 07:10:20
September 20 2013 06:51 GMT
#145
So... what advice do you have about overreacting to early scouting? I really struggle with this. Ex: T goes factory before CC but does no pressure, and instead double expos.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yeah; I'm terrible with zerg and playing a few leagues lower with it
I might be the minority on TL, but TL is the minority everywhere else.
MasterDrone
Profile Joined January 2013
France50 Posts
September 20 2013 08:00 GMT
#146
On September 20 2013 15:51 Joedaddy wrote:
So... what advice do you have about overreacting to early scouting? I really struggle with this. Ex: T goes factory before CC but does no pressure, and instead double expos.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yeah; I'm terrible with zerg and playing a few leagues lower with it


It's still safe to assume a faster Hellions pressure than usual, and you play normal on that. So you would wall up, build some lings, make queens to defend. Usually if they skip hellions/marine to go for expo, you have a huge advantage to use your lings to harass their expos. If they have to spent resources to build helion/marine, then their expos would be delayed, and you just drone up, take your expo, take your tech up freely. Because if they take double expos, they are no where to put pressure on you, so you're safe. And maybe you can prepare a baneling burst to scare them.
Zheryn
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden3653 Posts
September 20 2013 09:46 GMT
#147
On September 20 2013 15:51 Joedaddy wrote:
So... what advice do you have about overreacting to early scouting? I really struggle with this. Ex: T goes factory before CC but does no pressure, and instead double expos.

+ Show Spoiler +
Yeah; I'm terrible with zerg and playing a few leagues lower with it


What I've found out to work fine when I scout a non-fast-expand-opening, is to make sure to just prepare for what can come, but still keep droning. Basically iff a terran goes for a one-base build it's going to be some kind of tech, and luckily for us zergs, queens do pretty damn well vs most 1base techs from a terran. I basically get a quick spine, keep building drones and queens and add a spore in each mineral line after a while, and only start producing lings if he still hasn't expanded for quite some time. 1base "mass unit" builds from a terran player isn't good at all and takes quite some time to get enough units out to be scary, so you don't have to start producing lings very early tbh.
hundred thousand krouner
14pool
Profile Joined September 2013
Canada7 Posts
September 27 2013 05:36 GMT
#148
Thank you Blade! This is amazing
balosan
Profile Joined July 2010
Poland232 Posts
September 27 2013 14:42 GMT
#149
How do you deal with proxy 2 gate in zvp (not in base but on your side of the map) it seems like hatch first is just auto lose vs it.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
September 29 2013 16:34 GMT
#150
On September 27 2013 23:42 balosan wrote:
How do you deal with proxy 2 gate in zvp (not in base but on your side of the map) it seems like hatch first is just auto lose vs it.


Well I drone scout zvp on 2 player maps so that I don't go hatch first versus proxy 2 gate. If you hatch first and he proxy 2 gates there isn't really a way to win unless the protoss messes up. You can try killing the first zealot with drones, but you shouldn't win in this situation.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Alejandrisha
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States6566 Posts
September 29 2013 16:58 GMT
#151
nice blade
get rich or die mining
TL+ Member
Teddles
Profile Joined September 2013
1 Post
September 30 2013 16:10 GMT
#152
Question for ZvP, In both of your listed macro builds there are gas timing for first 2 gasses, I presume that you are meant to take more gas at some point, what is the gas timing for 3-4 and evt. 5-6 gasses in your ZvP macro builds?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 01 2013 19:43 GMT
#153
On October 01 2013 01:10 Teddles wrote:
Question for ZvP, In both of your listed macro builds there are gas timing for first 2 gasses, I presume that you are meant to take more gas at some point, what is the gas timing for 3-4 and evt. 5-6 gasses in your ZvP macro builds?


I get my 3rd/4th once I saturate 2 bases and get 5th, 6th once third is saturated or about to be saturated.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Tritone
Profile Joined June 2010
Japan76 Posts
October 06 2013 03:09 GMT
#154
Thanks for the awesome guide, Blade. I'm a gold player who usually wins macro games but there are some things I'm really terrible at, namely, defending cheese and scouting. Yesterday, I played 5 games and lost 3: one to a proxy 2-gate, one to a cannon rush and one to a mass of early lings I didn't scout. I wonder if adding a section to your guide about defending common cheeses, or a section about scouting in HotS, would be worth the effort.
ArTiFaKs
Profile Joined September 2013
United States1229 Posts
October 06 2013 03:24 GMT
#155
Very helpful as a Protoss player understanding what it is the Zerg opponent is thinking and trying to achieve while i'm off in my little corner doing Protossy things. :DD
There are things known, and things unknown, and in-between are the doors.
SkullZ9
Profile Joined April 2011
Belgium2048 Posts
October 07 2013 20:31 GMT
#156
Hi Blade and thanks for these very helpful guides !
How do you punish a protoss that goes nexus first ?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 07 2013 20:40 GMT
#157
On October 08 2013 05:31 SkullZ9 wrote:
Hi Blade and thanks for these very helpful guides !
How do you punish a protoss that goes nexus first ?


There is no way to punish a nexus first unless you blindly go 8-10 pool and he goes nexus first.

That Is the only way to punish it, otherwise there isn't anything you can do that would work just because he goes nexus first.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Kyuki
Profile Joined February 2008
Sweden1867 Posts
October 07 2013 20:56 GMT
#158
I'd love one of these for protoss, damn this is nice work
Mada Mada Dane
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
October 07 2013 22:28 GMT
#159
Blade,

I don't see a mention of getting corruptors in zvp vs colossus anywhere, have you mostly phased them out in favor of vipers? Corruptors are a bit more forgiving if you scout the robo bay late, as you don't have to wait for energy, as with the viper. Do you find that with proper hive timing, you don't find yourself in this position?
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
October 07 2013 22:33 GMT
#160
On October 08 2013 07:28 Lobotomist wrote:
Blade,

I don't see a mention of getting corruptors in zvp vs colossus anywhere, have you mostly phased them out in favor of vipers? Corruptors are a bit more forgiving if you scout the robo bay late, as you don't have to wait for energy, as with the viper. Do you find that with proper hive timing, you don't find yourself in this position?


That is correct my viper timing is pretty perfect in that I won't die to any colossi timings before vipers are out. Also I dislike corruptors because they suck and can't do anything once colossi are gone other then spew green shit over stalkers/immortals/etc.

If my opponent is going heavy colossi (like 6+) I will do corruptors, but if it's just 4-5 vipers are just fine. Even vs 6+ vipers are still good obviously, but corruptors are actually useful then as well.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 15 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech6
StarCraft: Brood War
Zeus 401
Horang2 303
Larva 257
EffOrt 180
Mind 76
Hyun 62
scan(afreeca) 51
NotJumperer 42
Killer 40
Bale 38
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 37
Sharp 35
sorry 35
Shinee 22
Sacsri 13
Hm[arnc] 13
Pusan 13
Barracks 6
Britney 0
Dota 2
febbydoto110
League of Legends
JimRising 415
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1209
edward536
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King110
Other Games
summit1g8077
ceh9649
Happy319
crisheroes199
Sick175
dupreeh65
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick594
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream33
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast4
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2271
League of Legends
• Jankos1204
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
31m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1h 31m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
14h 31m
Patches Events
1d 6h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.