• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:39
CEST 20:39
KST 03:39
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
The Link Between Gaming and …
TrAiDoS
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 13118 users

[G] TheStaircase - An Alternative Improvement Method - Pag…

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 78 Next
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 30 2014 01:42 GMT
#1281
The Saturation and Spending benchmarks are based on the replays in GGTracker and are updated daily, so they are an average of what players do. Its definitely not perfect, but it works for what TheStaircase is. You're not really playing a normal game, you're learning macro, and there just happens to be an opponent there that sometimes makes it more challenging
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Pharaphobia
Profile Joined October 2013
Czech Republic58 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-07-30 09:11:05
July 30 2014 09:10 GMT
#1282
Hello JaKaTak, I like your overall idea with StairCase method... I'm using myself and its suprisingly good because I was top diamond zerg, than I switched on Terran with this guide and I hitted a promotion to masters in 2 weeks after switch.

I would like to follow your concent about StairCase in Czech language (with links on your video and social media if you want) please tell me if you have any problem with that.

P.S: PM would be maybe better than asnwer there...

Regards
Pharaphobia
http://twitch.tv/Pharaphobia
ZedraC
Profile Joined February 2011
South Africa109 Posts
July 31 2014 07:41 GMT
#1283
Hi Jak,

Last night for the first time I took a third on the gold expansion (just because I could). I noticed GGT did not "recognize" my third as a third and it was never included in the stats for saturation speed. Why is this and is it designed that why not to include gold expansions?

I want to add as well. I do not get a lot of time to play, and since I changed hotkey setups three times in a year and started playing random (cause I want to have fun with all three races) my learning curve is somewhat slow, but using the staircase makes that learning curve a lot quicker.

Thanks again for the Staircase.
"What am I supposed to build to kill the things that look like giant dung beetles that eventually show up?" - beginner on battlenet forums. LMAO
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
July 31 2014 14:13 GMT
#1284
@Zedra

Not sure why that is happening. Unfortunately GGTracker isn't being updated anymore, so I'm not sure if we'll be able to get that fixed. Your best bet is to make feedback on GGTracker and post in the TL thread. He does still check those (pretty sure).

Glad TheStaircase is helping you!
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
AvengerAzrael
Profile Joined November 2010
Lebanon20 Posts
August 04 2014 05:36 GMT
#1285
Hey Jakatak,

I've left the game 2 years ago but I'm back using your guide. It was amazing, my macro has improved 100% and I'm finally able to max out for first time in a while. My economy so far has been perfect but not so much army composition/control or multitasking aspect (I'm at step 3 Terran atm).
I currently use (maybe outdated build?) 1 rax FE into Marine/Hellbat/Medivac against almost everyone but my multitasking is what is suffering. Is there a way to improve this using the staircase?
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
August 04 2014 06:11 GMT
#1286
Multitasking is one of the harder things to improve. The way it has been explained to me is as follows:

to multitask you need 2 things.

Task automation
Task disconnection

Automation just means that you have to have done something so many times that its like breathing and so is taken care of by a different part of your brain.

Disconnection is the ability to quickly let go of whatever your doing and switch to the more important task.

Since you're coming back after a break, i'd focus on automation first, but that doesn't mean you can't be mindful about how quickly you're disconnecting from your current task to jump to the more important one.
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
LotusXyx
Profile Joined April 2011
9 Posts
August 11 2014 13:06 GMT
#1287
First time I've logged on this site in a long while. Just wanted to commend you on a great improvement thread. Stumbled across it late one night and I'm seeing almost immediate improvements in my macro. The best I ever reached in WoL was low platinum, and I'm currently a top 1 Gold player. Using your method and GGTracker, I'm getting an SQ on par with GM and saturation on three bases comparable to Masters.

It simple changed my focus from BO and unit composition to basic macro and the difference is incredible. Thanks for doing this, and I really hope to see more updates in the future . I know that GGtracker isn't equivalent to actual skill level, but I've seen noticeable improvement across some 20 games.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
August 11 2014 15:44 GMT
#1288
Hrrray! So glad so hear you're seeing improvement and feeling good, that's what its all about!
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
August 12 2014 00:21 GMT
#1289
Intuitively I think there is an argument for a third thing; returning to a task after being distracted or puled away by something else.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Ruaz
Profile Joined August 2014
Portugal8 Posts
August 15 2014 10:51 GMT
#1290
I find it near impossible to do step 1 as zerg with platinum as the goal and with 3 saturated bases by the 12,13min mark. How do you guys do it?! At one point i had 5 hatcheries (2 macro), injecting on all of them and pumping out lings as fast as i could and still couldn't reach it! Should it be done off of 2 mining bases only or smth?
Zoopher
Profile Joined June 2014
Portugal12 Posts
August 15 2014 15:01 GMT
#1291
Hello Jak and the rest of the team. I am looking for advice about TheStaircase.

I'm having a hard time choosing a race and I was thinking of doing TheStaircase of the three races at the same time, but I don't know if this is better than just choose a race now, master it (or at least become really good) and then choose another race until I have played them all so that I can choose the race that I like the most and that I feel comfortable with.

I think that with the first method, I would get some experience and basic knowledge of each race, but I won't be improving much due to the mechanical differences between them.
With the second method, I would improve at a better pace but I will always have the question "Is this the right race for me?" inside my head whenever I play a game.

So, this is my problem. If someone would provide any advice or suffers/suffered from this problem I would really appreciate it.
"By perseverance, study, and eternal desire, any man can become great." General George S. Patton Jr
ZedraC
Profile Joined February 2011
South Africa109 Posts
August 18 2014 11:01 GMT
#1292
Hello Jak and the rest of the team. I am looking for advice about TheStaircase.

I'm having a hard time choosing a race and I was thinking of doing TheStaircase of the three races at the same time, but I don't know if this is better than just choose a race now, master it (or at least become really good) and then choose another race until I have played them all so that I can choose the race that I like the most and that I feel comfortable with.

I think that with the first method, I would get some experience and basic knowledge of each race, but I won't be improving much due to the mechanical differences between them.
With the second method, I would improve at a better pace but I will always have the question "Is this the right race for me?" inside my head whenever I play a game.

So, this is my problem. If someone would provide any advice or suffers/suffered from this problem I would really appreciate it.


I suppose it depends on what you want to achieve really. If you want to compete and "master" a race, choosing one race is advised, however if you want to play for fun and improve at a much slower rate then go random. I play zerg most of the time now, but sometimes goes random just to experiment but it frustrates the hell out of me loosing with T or P when i know i could have beaten my opponent with Z.

My suggestion is play a few weeks random, then your choice should come by it self once you realized which "race is right for you".
"What am I supposed to build to kill the things that look like giant dung beetles that eventually show up?" - beginner on battlenet forums. LMAO
Cascade
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Australia5405 Posts
August 18 2014 12:30 GMT
#1293
On August 15 2014 19:51 Ruaz wrote:
I find it near impossible to do step 1 as zerg with platinum as the goal and with 3 saturated bases by the 12,13min mark. How do you guys do it?! At one point i had 5 hatcheries (2 macro), injecting on all of them and pumping out lings as fast as i could and still couldn't reach it! Should it be done off of 2 mining bases only or smth?

If you can't spend all your money from 3 bases with 5 hatcheries, then build more hatcheries?

Lings are very cheap in minerals per larvae, and if you want to spend all of your minerals on only lings, you will probably need a lot of hatcheries.
MajorBiscuit
Profile Joined April 2010
83 Posts
August 18 2014 14:03 GMT
#1294
I just found this out. It seems really well thought out. I will give it a shot.
Zoopher
Profile Joined June 2014
Portugal12 Posts
August 20 2014 14:45 GMT
#1295
I suppose it depends on what you want to achieve really. If you want to compete and "master" a race, choosing one race is advised, however if you want to play for fun and improve at a much slower rate then go random. I play zerg most of the time now, but sometimes goes random just to experiment but it frustrates the hell out of me loosing with T or P when i know i could have beaten my opponent with Z.

My suggestion is play a few weeks random, then your choice should come by it self once you realized which "race is right for you".[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response, I will try do that while doing the staircase and hopefully in a weeks time, I will make my decision. I also found what I think that is a good breakdown for the three races on a r/starcraft thread, which outlines the basic for each race for beginners.
"By perseverance, study, and eternal desire, any man can become great." General George S. Patton Jr
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
August 20 2014 18:44 GMT
#1296
--- Nuked ---
AmicusVenti
Profile Joined July 2013
United States61 Posts
August 20 2014 21:22 GMT
#1297
Hi Jakatak! Any update on when the CheeseCase is going up? And once it is, do you have any suggestion on whether it is better to complete the StairCase of the CheeseCase first for newer players?
gbdude
Profile Joined July 2014
3 Posts
August 20 2014 23:21 GMT
#1298
I have a question concerning the GGTracker. Whenever I upload any of my games against an AI, it says that A Problem occurred. Any way to fix that?
ZedraC
Profile Joined February 2011
South Africa109 Posts
August 21 2014 12:24 GMT
#1299
I have a question concerning the GGTracker. Whenever I upload any of my games against an AI, it says that A Problem occurred. Any way to fix that?


I never had this issue. Sorry man, cannot help you.
"What am I supposed to build to kill the things that look like giant dung beetles that eventually show up?" - beginner on battlenet forums. LMAO
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
August 21 2014 18:57 GMT
#1300
hey hey!

TheCheeseCase should start rolling in for the beginning of September. Its all about style really. If you're more of a micro focused person and you enjoy that, go for TheCheeseCase, if you want to just focus on macro first do TheStaircase

Also, leave a comment on the GGTracker thread or give feedback on the site if you have issues with it
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Prev 1 63 64 65 66 67 78 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM1155
TKL 424
IndyStarCraft 316
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 1155
ByuN 538
TKL 424
IndyStarCraft 316
Reynor 185
BRAT_OK 60
EmSc Tv 9
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 31323
Calm 2643
Shuttle 380
Mini 156
White-Ra 121
firebathero 105
Mong 61
scan(afreeca) 17
soO 17
Sacsri 5
Dota 2
Gorgc9232
Counter-Strike
fl0m2911
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3523
Liquid`Hasu523
MindelVK5
Other Games
Liquid`RaSZi2386
FrodaN1590
B2W.Neo796
olofmeister684
Khaldor486
Beastyqt258
Livibee177
crisheroes170
Mew2King73
ToD52
kaitlyn27
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick435
BasetradeTV203
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 9
EmSc2Tv 9
angryscii 1
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 37
• Adnapsc2 10
• Reevou 7
• niya90s 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach63
• blackmanpl 19
• Azhi_Dahaki16
• 80smullet 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV641
Other Games
• imaqtpie1025
• Shiphtur684
• tFFMrPink 10
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
21m
BSL Open Qualifier
21m
OSC
4h 21m
Replay Cast
4h 21m
OSC
17h 21m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 16h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.