• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:13
CEST 22:13
KST 05:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9372 users

[G] StimmedProbe's Postpatch TvZ Build #2 4xThor - Page 3

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
spbelky
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States623 Posts
July 12 2012 16:41 GMT
#41
On July 12 2012 12:00 Crowned wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 12 2012 11:51 101toss wrote:
On July 12 2012 11:39 dynwar7 wrote:
Yeah I love how thors damage is so huge vs queens but....is this considered all in? I guess so since it brings what, 15-20 scvs?

I love the build but i dont really like doing allins... =/

Nice guide tho should help many terrans out there

Do you like to lose?

Seriously people, a win is a win, set aside these silly inhibitions when the build you are doing punishes greedy play


That's assuming someone wants to all-in for the all mighty ladder points all day, instead of actually improving at the game. That said, after viewing the replays it does look like a pretty strong all-in and wouldn't be bad to keep in your arsenal and pull it out for fun sometimes or maybe in a best of 3 situation. Another nice guide brought to us by StimmedProbe, well done sir.


And you're assuming people are going to use the same TvZ build all day.

On another note, it's good to see that Terrans have 2base builds set up for specific punishing timings, much like PvZ 2base timings.
triforks
Profile Joined November 2010
United States370 Posts
July 12 2012 16:57 GMT
#42
tried this out a few times yesterday. worked really well. one thing i added though is 2 more rax near the time i push out. i feel like you can overwhelm them better with the extra marines and it doesnt really hurt my econ or slow me down. also it could make your bfh bio follow up a lot faster if you already have 3 rax.
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-12 17:03:04
July 12 2012 16:57 GMT
#43
I've played the build a couple of times, and I have to say I really like it. Another thing great about it is it opens the same as the recommended build in this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=308972 which is also viable in the current TvZ meta-game, letting players switch between this build and that build very easily while going into Mech in both circumstances.

As the main difference that the Zerg can spot early on is the very early third gas, I imagine on many maps you can deny the scouting Overlord by being active with your first Marine and placing the Refinery on the geyser less likely to be seen by an Overlord, thus having a chance of making the Zerg react to a Cloaked Banshee that will never come and strengthen your push tremendously. You can also do things like sending out one Hellion with the other build order initially instead of both of them for scouting, making him think you're doing this push instead.

/Theory Craft

Edit:
On July 13 2012 01:57 triforks wrote:
tried this out a few times yesterday. worked really well. one thing i added though is 2 more rax near the time i push out. i feel like you can overwhelm them better with the extra marines and it doesnt really hurt my econ or slow me down. also it could make your bfh bio follow up a lot faster if you already have 3 rax.
Personally I like getting a third base and the fourth refinery ASAP and going into Mech. I guess you can probably go into Bio-Mech though, using Thor/Marine/Hellion, maybe?

Edit: Also ♥♥♥ StimmedProbe!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Taefox
Profile Joined March 2010
1533 Posts
July 12 2012 20:37 GMT
#44
does anyone have more reps that u guys transits this build into mech or anything lategame ?

thanks
@taefoxy
SFGIANTS91
Profile Joined October 2011
United States51 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-12 20:44:13
July 12 2012 20:42 GMT
#45
On July 13 2012 05:37 foxj wrote:
does anyone have more reps that u guys transits this build into mech or anything lategame ?

thanks


take the barracks off the reactor put a factory there, bam you are meching lol.

edit: and thank you stimmed probe this is an awesome guide, im currently writing a guide to new age tvz going to include this build 100%
DUDE! Where's my mothership???
marand
Profile Joined July 2012
4 Posts
July 12 2012 22:13 GMT
#46
Long time lurker, first time poster.
Just created the account to say that this guide is awesome!
I'm diamond and this works fine for me and I even beat some master players with it.
I no longer need to sigh when I see that my opponent is Zerg
Xingke
Profile Joined August 2005
United States78 Posts
July 13 2012 03:40 GMT
#47
Decided to try this. First game I encounter the guy goes blind roach drop. I force him back after he kills 1 factory and killing his natural, but he had enough roaches to just completely kill all of the thors + marines with his roaches, even with mass repair and focus firing, and counter for a win. Attack hit within about 5-10 seconds of your push on your Antiga game(was the map it happened on), because I paused for a second before deciding to keep going with the push when he dropped me.
Sitinte
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States499 Posts
July 13 2012 03:45 GMT
#48
I lol'd a bit at the scenario with mutas. Great writeup; going to try this out sometime.
SecondHand
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States329 Posts
July 13 2012 05:46 GMT
#49
DUDE THIS IS ABSOLUTELY MIND BLOWING.

I love you stimmedprobe
Ladder more, win less
TofuSurprise
Profile Joined June 2012
United States5 Posts
July 13 2012 06:15 GMT
#50
How does this strategy deal with a counter attack that hits after you move out with your initial push, but before your push reaches the zerg base?? Do you just go for the base trade?
Reality is a story the mind tells itself.
SweKenZo
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden82 Posts
July 13 2012 06:32 GMT
#51
Have you come up with any kind of transition from this build?

If you cant kill the zerg, but still did some damage (like sniping his 3rd), whats your nex step?
Do u have econ to take a 3rd into mech?
Bronze->Silver->Gold->Platinum->Diamond-> ?
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
July 13 2012 06:45 GMT
#52
On July 13 2012 15:32 SweKenZo wrote:
Have you come up with any kind of transition from this build?

If you cant kill the zerg, but still did some damage (like sniping his 3rd), whats your nex step?
Do u have econ to take a 3rd into mech?
You absolutely have the economy to take a third and go mech. You just put another Factory onto the Reactor your Barracks is using, start a third, and you're meching! If your push is deflected but you don't lose it, you can also send the SCV's back to mine and you have a full economy again, plus you already have +1 armor started so you can get +2 ASAP!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
EngrishTeacher
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Canada1109 Posts
July 13 2012 07:06 GMT
#53
Just played this vs. a high master zerg.

I guess zergs have seen this build enough to know it's coming, because all my thors got NP'ed Tried to snipe the infestors but mass lings just tore my marines apart.

I'm thinking of getting just a few banshees to snipe infestors, going to test out some timings and report back.
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
July 13 2012 07:41 GMT
#54
I like it. I was doing a similar 4 thor all in vs Toss for fun a few months back.

One thing I found out... you can get more gas with less SCVs if you take all 4 gases and only harvest with 2 SCVs per refinery. The one time cost of 75 min and lost mining time for construction are quickly made up by having an additional SCV harvesting minerals (8 on gas instead of 9).
EngrishTeacher
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
Canada1109 Posts
July 13 2012 07:55 GMT
#55
On July 13 2012 16:41 y0su wrote:
I like it. I was doing a similar 4 thor all in vs Toss for fun a few months back.

One thing I found out... you can get more gas with less SCVs if you take all 4 gases and only harvest with 2 SCVs per refinery. The one time cost of 75 min and lost mining time for construction are quickly made up by having an additional SCV harvesting minerals (8 on gas instead of 9).


Yep, gas saturation is as follows: first SCV = 100% gain, 2nd SCV = 100% gain, 3rd SCV = only 50% gain.

So 3 gas x 3 scvs each gives 750% gas gain, for a total of 9 scvs mining gas.

Whereas 4 gas x 2 scvs each gives 800% gas gain, for a total of only 8 scvs mining.
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
July 13 2012 08:18 GMT
#56
On July 13 2012 16:55 EngrishTeacher wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 13 2012 16:41 y0su wrote:
I like it. I was doing a similar 4 thor all in vs Toss for fun a few months back.

One thing I found out... you can get more gas with less SCVs if you take all 4 gases and only harvest with 2 SCVs per refinery. The one time cost of 75 min and lost mining time for construction are quickly made up by having an additional SCV harvesting minerals (8 on gas instead of 9).


Yep, gas saturation is as follows: first SCV = 100% gain, 2nd SCV = 100% gain, 3rd SCV = only 50% gain.

So 3 gas x 3 scvs each gives 750% gas gain, for a total of 9 scvs mining gas.

Whereas 4 gas x 2 scvs each gives 800% gas gain, for a total of only 8 scvs mining.

Actually it's map-dependant. On maps like Metalopolis where one of your main gas geysers is very far from your CC, it takes 4 SCV's for maximum saturation. I can see how this could work on maps with as-close-as-possible geysers, though.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
StimmedProbe
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Hong Kong98 Posts
July 13 2012 08:23 GMT
#57
On July 13 2012 12:40 Xingke wrote:
Decided to try this. First game I encounter the guy goes blind roach drop. I force him back after he kills 1 factory and killing his natural, but he had enough roaches to just completely kill all of the thors + marines with his roaches, even with mass repair and focus firing, and counter for a win. Attack hit within about 5-10 seconds of your push on your Antiga game(was the map it happened on), because I paused for a second before deciding to keep going with the push when he dropped me.


Now that you mention this, I have lost in the exact same way on the exact same map o.o I guess you gotta sniff it out with the hellion? It's a pretty rare build though so I guess just scout more, not much you can do once it starts.


On July 13 2012 15:15 TofuSurprise wrote:
How does this strategy deal with a counter attack that hits after you move out with your initial push, but before your push reaches the zerg base?? Do you just go for the base trade?


95% of the time I go for a base trade, you need to analyze the situation on a case by case basis. Terran comes out ahead in base trades normally, remember to send all your scvs up to your thors or use them to repair the 5th/6th thor that is about to pop out and you should be ok.


On July 13 2012 16:06 EngrishTeacher wrote:
Just played this vs. a high master zerg.

I guess zergs have seen this build enough to know it's coming, because all my thors got NP'ed Tried to snipe the infestors but mass lings just tore my marines apart.

I'm thinking of getting just a few banshees to snipe infestors, going to test out some timings and report back.


Blind counter NP is just a silly build from zerg. 2 base infestor is a horrible build... but I guess it works well against this build. I'm sure after a few weeks when people arent trying this out a bunch that silly 2 base infestor build will go away.


On July 13 2012 16:41 y0su wrote:
I like it. I was doing a similar 4 thor all in vs Toss for fun a few months back.

One thing I found out... you can get more gas with less SCVs if you take all 4 gases and only harvest with 2 SCVs per refinery. The one time cost of 75 min and lost mining time for construction are quickly made up by having an additional SCV harvesting minerals (8 on gas instead of 9).


Correct. Sometimes I do this but most of the time I don't bother. This is a slight improvement on the orginal build though.
Arsen
Profile Joined August 2010
United States19 Posts
July 13 2012 22:00 GMT
#58
It's a good strat but it loses to early infestors. My friend tried it on me a few times (High masters).
"Shall we end this?"
marand
Profile Joined July 2012
4 Posts
July 13 2012 23:21 GMT
#59
y0su July 13 2012 16:41. Posts 873 PM Profile Quote #
I like it. I was doing a similar 4 thor all in vs Toss for fun a few months back.

One thing I found out... you can get more gas with less SCVs if you take all 4 gases and only harvest with 2 SCVs per refinery. The one time cost of 75 min and lost mining time for construction are quickly made up by having an additional SCV harvesting minerals (8 on gas instead of 9).


Does this also work against protoss? I feel like if Protoss goes for a few Immortals it will be pretty hard. Is there anything that should be changed in the build to make it better against protoss? Armor research might not be worth it?
JustPlay
Profile Joined September 2010
United States211 Posts
July 14 2012 02:50 GMT
#60
On July 12 2012 12:00 Crowned wrote:
That's assuming someone wants to all-in for the all mighty ladder points all day, instead of actually improving at the game. That said, after viewing the replays it does look like a pretty strong all-in and wouldn't be bad to keep in your arsenal and pull it out for fun sometimes or maybe in a best of 3 situation. Another nice guide brought to us by StimmedProbe, well done sir.
This makes the false assumption that learning to execute a build perfectly and optimizing unit control aren't "improving at the game". Learning this build and perfecting it just adds it (or a variation of it) to your arsenal for when you scout a zerg doing something in a future meta game.

I can not count the games I have won because of builds I practiced heavily before. Sometimes you see something, know exactly how to punish it, and decide to go for the throat.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
ZZZero.O88
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason96
BRAT_OK 51
Railgan 41
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16413
Mini 369
Dewaltoss 181
Hyuk 129
ggaemo 110
firebathero 102
ZZZero.O 88
Terrorterran 16
Dota 2
febbydoto15
League of Legends
Doublelift2045
Counter-Strike
Fnx 808
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4952
Khaldor1430
crisheroes966
Liquid`Hasu860
Other Games
summit1g4986
FrodaN2794
fl0m1039
Beastyqt867
mouzStarbuck300
KnowMe290
ArmadaUGS147
Mew2King57
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1205
BasetradeTV201
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 91
• Adnapsc2 28
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 42
• 80smullet 19
• Azhi_Dahaki17
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 10097
Other Games
• imaqtpie709
• Shiphtur263
• tFFMrPink 14
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
13h 47m
INu's Battles
15h 47m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
18h 47m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 47m
BSL Open Qualifier
22h 47m
Replay Cast
1d 2h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 13h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 14h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 19h
Replay Cast
2 days
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
6 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.