• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:03
CEST 06:03
KST 13:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War395.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams Rollback Netcode in Brood War Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9748 users

[G] StimmedProbe's Postpatch TvZ Build #2 4xThor - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
JustPassingBy
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
10776 Posts
August 22 2012 14:53 GMT
#101
On August 21 2012 22:42 -Flasket wrote:
Festors+speedlings and you sit down again.
Nice thought tho, gghf


Infestors in low numbers should be microable (split thors so that all scvs cannot be taken down by a single chain-fungal,
move marines back so that thors can hit the infestors should the try to fungal your bio force).
Regarding the zerglings, I think it is a good idea would be to reinforce with one or two waves of hellions. Should the first engagement occur near the third of the zerg, the first wave might even arrive on time.

The only criticism I have on the guide is the "4xThor" in the title, it makes so that this thread does not pop up if you search for "thor".
Carrera26
Profile Joined April 2011
United States29 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-27 18:36:12
August 27 2012 18:33 GMT
#102
Subbing 1 ghost for vehicle weapons makes this exact same build absolutely hilarious vs. Protoss. Onoz, not immortals, they'll kill all my... oh, nope, their dead.
GhandiEAGLE
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States20754 Posts
August 27 2012 18:47 GMT
#103
This is such a good build, I'm a high plat player who never uses builds ever, I just wing it, and still win ~50% of my games. Now that I have some direction, I'm undefeated in TvZ.
Oh, my achin' hands, from rakin' in grands, and breakin' in mic stands
MoonCricket
Profile Joined September 2011
222 Posts
August 27 2012 20:30 GMT
#104
Tried it with varying success, I have a couple of critiques.

It dies to 18 Gas via Roach or Baneling busts, if you don't have 2 Marines and 1 Marauder in the Bunker than you die to Roaches immediately, and without the Reactor Factory->Hellions and Starport->Banshee from 1/1/1 builds you have tremendous difficulty cleaning up the attack.

By going Barracks FE you let Zerg Gas steal vs you and delay you by ~10-15 seconds every time, there's really no reason to go Barracks FE vs Zerg at all if you know how to micro vs the 6 pool, and when you can go either Gas first and "bluff" Banshees or Command Center first for the increase in your Mineral enconomy you may as well. If you do go Barracks first, I think you're better off proxying the Barracks and Bunker harassing his natural because you don't really need to build any add ons off of your Barracks for a strict timing like you do for Reactor Hellions or a Cloaked Banshee Rush.

I don't think you gain as much from the Vehicle Armor upgrade as you would from saving that gas and aiming for either a Command Center First and Reactor Hellion Opening followed by 2 additional Tech Lab factories. Your 4 Marines and a Hellion give you absolutely no map control and you pretty much auto-lose to an early Baneling nest.

Basically I think you're too passive in the early game and pretty much die to everything a Zerg player can throw at you with 18 Gas because you have no map control. Likewise your build order doesn't really make any sense to me because the time you lose to Command Center first is easily made up for by the fact that you automatically gain the time back by being immune to any gas steals and you end up with more minerals regardless. I think you're pretty much always better off with either Gas first, CC first or a Proxy Barracks and transition into double Factory.

Miket2424
Profile Joined May 2012
United States26 Posts
September 02 2012 03:49 GMT
#105
I am in Plat, and have relied on the 1 rax FE into MMM + a few hellions. I attack the Zerg's 3rd around 10-11 minutes, and If I can take it out I can usually hang on to win.

Now that I've made it to Plat, that idea from the Filter SC2 noobschool doesn't seem to work out as well. I face Zerg opponents who defeat that pushout and save their 3rd with most or all drones intact.

I was excited to find this build, and it seemed promising at first in customs, but on the ladder it has been getting annihilated. it seems the extra creep spread alerts the Zerg about the attack early and they just mass lings or banes to shut down the early attack.

Is this still a valid build after the Queen/OL buff? Should I abandon and go back to the old 3rd attack method?
StimmedProbe
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Hong Kong98 Posts
September 02 2012 18:06 GMT
#106
On September 02 2012 12:49 Miket2424 wrote:
I am in Plat, and have relied on the 1 rax FE into MMM + a few hellions. I attack the Zerg's 3rd around 10-11 minutes, and If I can take it out I can usually hang on to win.

Now that I've made it to Plat, that idea from the Filter SC2 noobschool doesn't seem to work out as well. I face Zerg opponents who defeat that pushout and save their 3rd with most or all drones intact.

I was excited to find this build, and it seemed promising at first in customs, but on the ladder it has been getting annihilated. it seems the extra creep spread alerts the Zerg about the attack early and they just mass lings or banes to shut down the early attack.

Is this still a valid build after the Queen/OL buff? Should I abandon and go back to the old 3rd attack method?


Post a replay and I will look at it. The build has an extremely tiny timing window, if you miss it by even 30 seconds you can get overrun.
Deleted User 255289
Profile Joined March 2012
281 Posts
September 02 2012 22:01 GMT
#107
On August 28 2012 03:33 Carrera26 wrote:
Subbing 1 ghost for vehicle weapons makes this exact same build absolutely hilarious vs. Protoss. Onoz, not immortals, they'll kill all my... oh, nope, their dead.


You can't just sub vehicle weapons for a ghost! Ghost academy + ghost = 350min, 150gas , vehicle weapons = 100min, 100gas.
Zerg OP | CreansRNub | k-Poop | Zerg OP | Sea lions | \\m//
Millet
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden143 Posts
September 04 2012 11:58 GMT
#108
Love it!! I knew from the moment I saw this thread that I'd use it!

I've had huge success with it Ty StimmedProbe!
Carrera26
Profile Joined April 2011
United States29 Posts
September 04 2012 22:06 GMT
#109
On September 03 2012 07:01 superbarnie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 28 2012 03:33 Carrera26 wrote:
Subbing 1 ghost for vehicle weapons makes this exact same build absolutely hilarious vs. Protoss. Onoz, not immortals, they'll kill all my... oh, nope, their dead.


You can't just sub vehicle weapons for a ghost! Ghost academy + ghost = 350min, 150gas , vehicle weapons = 100min, 100gas.


Well obviously it's not EXACT, but it's close enough to be workable. But to be precise it's 5 marines and and additional 20 seconds of gas mining. Most of us non GM/Masters folks are going to have that much slack in our builds anyway, and I just found it to be hilariously overwhelming in the games I played with it.
Lobotomist
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1541 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-04 23:36:15
September 04 2012 23:34 GMT
#110
Oh god. Reminds me of stuff I used to face back in beta. Looks very strong, I'll have to look at some reps and try to figure it out
Teching to hive too quickly isn't just a risk: it's an ultrarisk
The_Unseen
Profile Joined March 2011
France1923 Posts
October 04 2012 02:29 GMT
#111
I'm having some trouble making this work in the current meta, high masters EU. Anything changed ?
I got five reasons for you to shut up
Squigly
Profile Joined February 2011
United Kingdom629 Posts
November 05 2012 23:52 GMT
#112
On October 04 2012 11:29 The_Unseen wrote:
I'm having some trouble making this work in the current meta, high masters EU. Anything changed ?


What are you having issues with? The main times I lose (against mid master EU) is against ling bane roach which is becoming far more common.
JanLui
Profile Joined November 2010
France50 Posts
November 26 2012 10:08 GMT
#113
Stimmedprobe ty your build is definitely working for me as silver player ^^

It's even helpin me winning vs diamond zerg macroing hard (roach ling) in this custom match >>>> http://drop.sc/278805
Never Die Easy. http://www.sc2ranks.com/eu/312602/JanLui
Prev 1 4 5 6 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings47
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 210
PiLiPiLi 47
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3898
ViBE138
BeSt 108
Bale 32
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm210
Other Games
summit1g7227
JimRising 637
WinterStarcraft475
C9.Mang0274
Sick91
febbydoto5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1088
BasetradeTV147
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP114
• practicex 26
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur432
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
5h 57m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
7h 57m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 57m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 57m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.