• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:11
CEST 01:11
KST 08:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)20Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10415 users

[G] Zerg vs Zerg ling/infestor into ultralisks - Page 11

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 17 Next All
HoBb3
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden38 Posts
July 30 2012 20:45 GMT
#201
On July 31 2012 05:28 wcr.4fun wrote:
I hate this strategy actually. Everyone I meet is just doing this style. Gives really silly late game scenario's...

Nothing beats ultra's, except more ultra's... That's an obvious game design mistake.

Or am I oblivious to some unit which can actually win fights versus ultra/infestor?
I never do this style but when playing against it roach hydra infestors do okey against it. You need good upgrades and really really good position and lob infested terrans infront of the ultras.
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
July 30 2012 20:48 GMT
#202
The ultra vs ultra battle gets decided by little things, like infested terran placement, ultralisk concave, and transfuses. it's a weird as hell fight.

There are times where instead of starting another ultralisk that will finish in 55 seconds you want to make a bunch of banelings immediately for taking out infested terrans, zerglings, and doing up front burst damage to get some of his ultralisks out of the fight earlier.

It's weird and generally not very well understood so it feels like it's just massing ultralisks and humping the other guys ultralisks.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
July 31 2012 03:52 GMT
#203
I've been having a lot of trouble recently with zergs who go fast third into mass roaches, they dont' drone up the third at all, especially on maps like condemned or ohana. Should I just make spines at my natural and trade thirds until I can make 20 spines in my natural that I then uproot to cover both bases? or should I worry about getting infestors out more quickly? I've also lost a few times to roach/hydra/infestor pushes, am I just not getting ultras quick enough, or should I be making more spines and infestors? Considering the 50 second build time of ultras, I'm thinking maybe I should be making way more spines?

Just hard to pull this strat off on maps like ohana and condemned ;/
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
b0ub0u
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada445 Posts
August 01 2012 15:27 GMT
#204
Wow I have so much success using this strat! I was struggling really bad at ZvZ (Plat league) but now I am doing a lot better. My attack only come at 20mins though. It is often delayed because of lings/banes exchange early on.

I feel that when I get the composition it is unstoppable. My opponents usually get roachs and banes because they see lots of lings on my side. I fungal what I can and I watch his army melt. Only 1 time have I seen another player using the same strat. He had faster ultras so he won.

Wanted to thank you for giving me hope in ZvZ. I was like 10-15% winrate only before
In the swarm we trust
CakeInFire
Profile Joined January 2012
13 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-02 15:46:18
August 02 2012 01:29 GMT
#205
How do you react against very fast B4 ? Your T3 is not done yet and if you wait until ultra to get B4 your opponent will be so ahead economically that you will never secure a B4.
Insoleet
Profile Joined May 2012
France1806 Posts
August 04 2012 09:03 GMT
#206
On July 31 2012 12:52 Belial88 wrote:
I've been having a lot of trouble recently with zergs who go fast third into mass roaches, they dont' drone up the third at all, especially on maps like condemned or ohana. Should I just make spines at my natural and trade thirds until I can make 20 spines in my natural that I then uproot to cover both bases? or should I worry about getting infestors out more quickly? I've also lost a few times to roach/hydra/infestor pushes, am I just not getting ultras quick enough, or should I be making more spines and infestors? Considering the 50 second build time of ultras, I'm thinking maybe I should be making way more spines?

Just hard to pull this strat off on maps like ohana and condemned ;/


Same problem here, probably this strat must be used on long maps (daybreak, metropolis...) and not on maps with a small choke on your natural.

Stephano changed the way he plays this strat. He now go on +1/+1 lings into +1 speed roaches infestors. He uses his 1/1 lings to harass and snipes bases.

Maybe he realized its way too defensive and its easy for the opponent to have a lot of economy if he plays defensively.
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-06 01:43:53
August 06 2012 01:40 GMT
#207
On July 31 2012 12:52 Belial88 wrote:
I've been having a lot of trouble recently with zergs who go fast third into mass roaches, they dont' drone up the third at all, especially on maps like condemned or ohana. Should I just make spines at my natural and trade thirds until I can make 20 spines in my natural that I then uproot to cover both bases? or should I worry about getting infestors out more quickly? I've also lost a few times to roach/hydra/infestor pushes, am I just not getting ultras quick enough, or should I be making more spines and infestors? Considering the 50 second build time of ultras, I'm thinking maybe I should be making way more spines?

Just hard to pull this strat off on maps like ohana and condemned ;/


You take a 3rd when he does OR when you get infestors. With infestors, you can get 5 spines at your 3rd (drop creep if necessary) and hold the choke/ramp/whatever. You'll hold cost-efficiently against almost anything. It's hard to imagine needing 20 spines when you have infestors. Maps with a wide 3rd will need a few more spines, true. Even on cloud kingdom I start with 4-5 spines at the ramp, and then later on I'll add a few more spines around the side.

If he takes his 3rd long before this, you take yours, but don't defend it against a committed attack. Trade 3rds if he moves out. Drone your 3rd when he drones his, or when you have infestors. This forces him to stay 2base vs 2 base until you have infestor (which is what you want) or he lets you get your 3rd.

I don't think you can rely on getting ultralisks out in time to stop roach/hydra infestor pushes. Again, what you do is use your spinecrawlers and infestors to defend cost-efficiently, and counterattack with groups of zerglings (not all of them) to put him all in.

can you put down a roach warren, just in case, and crank out a bunch of roaches to help defend just before his push if he does a heavy timing? Maybe, but I don't think it's necessary. If your counter-attacks do damage, it's okay for you to take some damage, and then you have 5/3 ultralisks.

How do you react against very fast B4 ? Your T3 is not done yet and if you wait until ultra to get B4 your opponent will be so ahead economically that you will never secure a B4.

Same as B3. Mirror his expansion, and counterattack to trade 4ths if he moves out. If his 4th is defended, maybe you can take out his 3rd instead for the same effect. At least, that is the idea. I don't know if it is always feasible - maybe he can spare leaving enough units behind and still deny your 4th. But you are on a 3 base economy as well, you can afford a lot of spines. Maybe with creep drop you can get a zillion spinecrawlers finished so that you can actually hold the 4th base while counterattacking.
This is probably the best response from a roach player. Take a 4th base, keep enough units at home to defend backstabs, delay the opponent's 4th, and then go for ultralisks himself.

Also I have to add that I am finding ultralisk mirrors to be hilarious. You have to get yourself a concave before the fight, and spam infested terrans, and then fungal his lings and his infested terrans. I'm always getting a nydus worm now and keeping queens in it so I can transfuse in every battle, and it's great. The battles are so funny to watch.
TheRealzz
Profile Joined November 2010
150 Posts
August 06 2012 21:10 GMT
#208
I've played against this 2x and tried it myself. I like it, if the opponent tries to push with a big roach army like I'm sure its in the guide. But the lings can counter opponent base, with a spine wall + infestor fungal and more lings pumping is nice defense at home.

If opponent waits to long you have your Ultra ling infestor comp. I WANT TO play! Damn pc is broke.
One-base play is aggression ?
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
August 07 2012 21:17 GMT
#209
I just played a match with this style against a roach/hydra/baneling timing and managed to hold it off. Every time I play this style I have to see how many kills the ultras get, it's quite hilarious.

Here's a vod for anyone interested: http://www.twitch.tv/ooooophidian/b/327763882?t=42m
Thanks again blade.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 07 2012 22:14 GMT
#210
On August 08 2012 06:17 oOOoOphidian wrote:
I just played a match with this style against a roach/hydra/baneling timing and managed to hold it off. Every time I play this style I have to see how many kills the ultras get, it's quite hilarious.

Here's a vod for anyone interested: http://www.twitch.tv/ooooophidian/b/327763882?t=42m
Thanks again blade.


That's my favorite part to, to see how many kills my ultralisks get. Always fun to see ultras go nomnomnom over roaches and stuff ^_^
When I think of something else, something will go here
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 08 2012 04:02 GMT
#211
I've been having a hell of a time using this build recently, especially on maps like shakuras and ohana, when the opponent goes third before lair, and then masses roaches (and doesnt drone his third up at all).

I also am really unsure of how to use this build if the opponent just stays on 2 base and never grabs a third. Like say I have a game winning lead in the early game (hold off a 6 pool, he went ling/bane all-in, he's going 2 base lair mass speed roach, whatever)...

Do you need to get the infestors out quickly? I always get 24 drones on each main and nat before I really make many lings or infestors, should I be cutting drones more maybe with this style? What happens if you make 10 spines?

I'm just a little lost on this build, especially on those maps. Like, I'll do the whole trade-thirds thing, but I don't have infestors, and so he walks right past the spines or something, should I be pushing infestors more quickly?

I mean, when he does a late push, or roach max, that's fine, moar spines, moar infestors, whatever. It's these pushes that just kill me when I could have mass spines, or maybe infestors, or maybe lings, but not all 3, and i get screwed.

I'll provide a rep soon. Maybe I should mass the spines in my natural now on... like make 20 spines in my natural on ohana, if he goes for my third, just trade, and then re-root the spines when I have enough infestors or something. Or should I not take a third when the opponent goes fast third? I mean you say take third when he takes it, but the economy doesn't seem to work out right because here I am on 4 gas (maybe 3, if i identify he took a third quick enough and I take it exactly time and I identify I need spines/minerals, but then I have way less infestors...). Maybe I should stick to a 2 base build with this, even against third before lair play, and then just take my third once infestors pop.

just really hard to pull this off on ohana/shakuras/condemned sometimes. I've started to play standard on those maps again recently because of this third before lair into mass roach with no droning of the third play. I never have infestors in time for these attacks, maybe that's the problem.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
August 09 2012 21:47 GMT
#212
You take your 3rd when he takes his 3rd, but you don't actually try to defend your 3rd until you have infestors. Keep your spines at your natural, don't commit any money to spines at the 3rd until you have infestors.
The plan is to trade 3rds if he attacks, or surround and kill his army if he divides it too much.

But if you don't try to take your 3rd earlier, he has a macro lead and total control over the game. your 3rd base is aggressive.

If you can't successfully trade 3rds, or can't get infestors in time to hold your 3rd when you need to, then maybe you are overmaking spines to hold your natural? you need a round of speedlings already out on the map before he can push your 3rd, and you can't delay infestors very much. The timings are all pretty sensitive.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 09 2012 21:59 GMT
#213
^ Thanks, that makes it clearer.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
dabosaur
Profile Joined March 2011
Sweden95 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-09 23:46:04
August 09 2012 23:45 GMT
#214
Wow your voice is really nice, you're lucky

Anyways, this style seems to be fun for me since i already use alot of Zerglings in ZvZ all game. I think that another advantage you got with this style is like small harassment groups of lings who can take out a queen and some drones if the enemy is out of possition.

btw, thanks for the guide!
sewergoat
Profile Joined May 2011
United States97 Posts
August 10 2012 00:18 GMT
#215
In zvz, I have recently been using mutas midgame and long aggression to make sure my third is well before the opponents, and then transitioning into ultras. I have found that I like the use of aggression more than defense to get to the lategame. I am still able to afford double ups and infestors due to getting a small amount of mutas. I was just curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this...
Silence is better than bullshit
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 10 2012 02:11 GMT
#216
On August 10 2012 09:18 sewergoat wrote:
In zvz, I have recently been using mutas midgame and long aggression to make sure my third is well before the opponents, and then transitioning into ultras. I have found that I like the use of aggression more than defense to get to the lategame. I am still able to afford double ups and infestors due to getting a small amount of mutas. I was just curious to hear anyone's thoughts on this...


That's fine it just delays ultras by a couple minutes compared to this build. Going muta first isn't a problem as long as you know your transitions and how to defend vs whatever and know when to transition and not die.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 10 2012 17:55 GMT
#217
You play the build way different than I do - you get not nearly as many spines as I do (on maps like Ohana I'll make a line of side by side spines...), i think you get a lot more lings instead, and you get hive way quicker. I usually make up to like 8+ infestors if the opponent goes roaches. Ultras just have such a huge timing window to come out I feel like I can't rely on them to come out in time vs roach+tech attacks.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 10 2012 18:01 GMT
#218
On August 11 2012 02:55 Belial88 wrote:
You play the build way different than I do - you get not nearly as many spines as I do (on maps like Ohana I'll make a line of side by side spines...), i think you get a lot more lings instead, and you get hive way quicker. I usually make up to like 8+ infestors if the opponent goes roaches. Ultras just have such a huge timing window to come out I feel like I can't rely on them to come out in time vs roach+tech attacks.


Just have to use infestors/lings well and counter attacks. I get normally at least 5 per base (in terms of natural/third) and get about 8 or so infestors by the time my hive finishes and that is normally when they will do their timing.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Advocado
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Denmark994 Posts
August 10 2012 19:10 GMT
#219
http://drop.sc/236317

Here is a game of me losing in a somewhat weird game. I felt like I botched my macro primarily and over reacted to mutas. I also threw away the fungals that probably would have kept me alive vs. the impending roach push. I should have put down 5 spinecrawlers to defend my third. Any comments so I can improve my zvz?
http://www.twitch.tv/advocadosc2
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-12 08:24:37
August 12 2012 07:19 GMT
#220
http://drop.sc/236914

Here's a game where we both went fast third, very passive at the start, and then he masses speedroaches after saturating his bases.

I tried to sort of follow what you sort of do, but I just die. I tyhink I should have massed way more spines, maybe I should have delayed my third gas and instead gotten more spines and stuff. I didn't get hive like you do, I couldnt imagine surviving if I had started hive.

I'm just going to stick with my style of maybe not droning up my third and massing spines and infestors and then going hive much later.

I'm guessing this style just isn't viable on maps like shakuras.. (this replay wasn't on shakuras, just an aside)
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE169
Nina 114
Nathanias 60
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13698
Artosis 558
White-Ra 218
ToSsGirL 31
Dota 2
monkeys_forever428
NeuroSwarm153
League of Legends
Doublelift4465
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1215
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1917
Other Games
summit1g7794
Grubby3503
ArmadaUGS693
shahzam627
JimRising 381
C9.Mang0299
Trikslyr50
ZombieGrub42
Mew2King42
Maynarde29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick537
BasetradeTV189
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream104
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 68
• davetesta37
• musti20045 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1089
• Scarra825
• Shiphtur261
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
10h 49m
OSC
13h 49m
Stellar Fest
13h 49m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.