• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:26
CEST 00:26
KST 07:26
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)16Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9173 users

[G] Zerg vs Zerg ling/infestor into ultralisks - Page 13

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 17 Next All
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 18 2012 00:22 GMT
#241
On August 18 2012 08:44 Mavvie wrote:
Okay, I need a little help with this style. I died to a roach/infestor timing that hit right when ultras popped. He made a 3-man-thick wall of infested terrans at my natural on cloud, my lings died to his roaches. My ultras were in my natural, infestors in my third, and the IT/roach just melted down my 5 ultralisks losing only a few units, if any.
I know it was a razer-thin, really lucky timing; my ultras literally popped 10 seconds after he attacked.
Was this bad luck, or are people figuring out this style? Full energy infestors can make walls like it's easy, and my ultras derp around and die.

Has anyone else had troubles with this, or is it just my bad macro and timings?


My advice would be more spines more infestors the more roach heavy the opponent is. If he's going for a big roach/hydra/infestor or roach/infestor army, I'd recommend getting more infestors, more spines. You should have more infestors than he has, imo. I think it's key that you watch for his 4th and hive timing - if he doesn't go for a fourth or hive, and is making more roaches, you should prepare with more spines, possibly up to even 10 infestors.

I think blade's approach would be quicker ultras, starting hive right when infestation pit is done, and then meeting this sort of attack with maxed out lings, some ultras, and just a few infestors. I personally feel a bit uncomfortable going hive so quickly if I see the opponent making roaches. Maybe blade would get more infestors himself if he sees the opponent is doing this, i can't exactly speak for him, but he seems to get his hive, ultras, really really quickly.

But FG can really tear down IT really quickly. Sometimes you can just end the game if the opponent does like a big roach/infestor/IT spam attack and you just FG his army over and over at a ramp or choke. I think i just play super defensively. if the opponent has no hive done when your ultras are coming, especially with no fourth, then he's deadmeat, so if he's making a lot of roaches, I never hesitate to make more spines, more infestors, so I can survive, because once those ultras pop, you basically win if he doesn't have hive and 4 bases himself, as long as you don't die to such roach bust.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
M4nkind
Profile Joined December 2011
Lithuania178 Posts
August 18 2012 00:23 GMT
#242
On August 18 2012 08:44 Mavvie wrote:
Okay, I need a little help with this style. I died to a roach/infestor timing that hit right when ultras popped. He made a 3-man-thick wall of infested terrans at my natural on cloud, my lings died to his roaches. My ultras were in my natural, infestors in my third, and the IT/roach just melted down my 5 ultralisks losing only a few units, if any.
I know it was a razer-thin, really lucky timing; my ultras literally popped 10 seconds after he attacked.
Was this bad luck, or are people figuring out this style? Full energy infestors can make walls like it's easy, and my ultras derp around and die.

Has anyone else had troubles with this, or is it just my bad macro and timings?


Ultras have some sad AI, you should try to avoid fighting in places with a lot of infested terrans with them. Dont go too deep or you will get locked by infested terrans and all your ultras will die. Ultras + lings have huge mobility over infestors + roaches+ hydras. In gsl games I noticed that mass infestor is hard counter to ultras + lings + infestors. I just think you should do that build and see all sides of it. Now I started getting macro hatch before getting 1/1 and doing some epic harass with upgraded lings off from 3 hatches. The more you do the build the better you will become at it. It trully requires a bit more skill to execute than mass roach build. You have mobility vs tankiness. ZvZ is my best matchup and with this build I get ~70% of wins, still I got some holes to fix but I can tell that this build is great.
Read my epic book, people: http://www.wattpad.com/story/23976849-the-business-of-time-travel
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-18 00:55:08
August 18 2012 00:52 GMT
#243
On August 18 2012 08:44 Mavvie wrote:
Okay, I need a little help with this style. I died to a roach/infestor timing that hit right when ultras popped. He made a 3-man-thick wall of infested terrans at my natural on cloud, my lings died to his roaches. My ultras were in my natural, infestors in my third, and the IT/roach just melted down my 5 ultralisks losing only a few units, if any.
I know it was a razer-thin, really lucky timing; my ultras literally popped 10 seconds after he attacked.
Was this bad luck, or are people figuring out this style? Full energy infestors can make walls like it's easy, and my ultras derp around and die.

Has anyone else had troubles with this, or is it just my bad macro and timings?


On cloud, you should have spines at the top of the natural ramp so that he can't come up. Plus a lot of spines at the 3rd ramp so that he has to go around, and a few spines in case he does go around.

Infestors should be somewhere between the 3rd and natural, probably split up, and you can chain fungal him any time he tries to go up either one of those ramps. he should not be able to hit your natural - the only somewhat viable attack route is a huge arc hitting the 3rd from both directions.

Any time he spams infested terrans, fungal them. When it looks like a battle is imminent, I start morphing some banelings to use some of my gas. Gas spent on ultralisks or infestors will pay off in 55 seconds, which doesn't matter if you're dead. banelings are for now. Banelings kill infested terrans, splash everything, and make him use more fungals instead of infested terrans.

Also bring queens. they are so good. Whenever I get around to finally attacking I use a nydus worm to bring the queens forward.

whenever possible, counterattack. Many of your zerglings won't contribute very much in a direct fight, so try to keep a lot of your lings active on the map, and use them to either counterattack just before a battle, or bring them in to flank for the battle itself. Flanking is always good, and counterattacking makes it okay for you take damage and still be in the game.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 18 2012 01:24 GMT
#244
Hmm I have started changing the way I get to ultras now. Theory wise I thought going roach/ling and then into ultralisks would only be bad but I actually think it's better.

You don't need 10+ spines and have good fungels. It isn't as intense in terms of if you mess up with the lings/infestor by not fungeling right or he gets a good position it is harder to hold.

I still can do it with ling/infestor like this but I think goign roaches is better and a lot more forgiving. You still do the same double evo at same time and get carapace/melee except you also add a roach warren as well. This way it looks normal and you will be going roach/ling/infestor (only making roaches when you see he's making them) and then getting ultra's as normal.

This way is better as well in the fact that you can take a fourth when he does and it's extremely nice. I think it's much better personally and I decided to give it a go after being told I should.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-18 01:35:31
August 18 2012 01:34 GMT
#245
On August 18 2012 09:22 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 08:44 Mavvie wrote:
Okay, I need a little help with this style. I died to a roach/infestor timing that hit right when ultras popped. He made a 3-man-thick wall of infested terrans at my natural on cloud, my lings died to his roaches. My ultras were in my natural, infestors in my third, and the IT/roach just melted down my 5 ultralisks losing only a few units, if any.
I know it was a razer-thin, really lucky timing; my ultras literally popped 10 seconds after he attacked.
Was this bad luck, or are people figuring out this style? Full energy infestors can make walls like it's easy, and my ultras derp around and die.

Has anyone else had troubles with this, or is it just my bad macro and timings?


My advice would be more spines more infestors the more roach heavy the opponent is. If he's going for a big roach/hydra/infestor or roach/infestor army, I'd recommend getting more infestors, more spines. You should have more infestors than he has, imo. I think it's key that you watch for his 4th and hive timing - if he doesn't go for a fourth or hive, and is making more roaches, you should prepare with more spines, possibly up to even 10 infestors.

I think blade's approach would be quicker ultras, starting hive right when infestation pit is done, and then meeting this sort of attack with maxed out lings, some ultras, and just a few infestors. I personally feel a bit uncomfortable going hive so quickly if I see the opponent making roaches. Maybe blade would get more infestors himself if he sees the opponent is doing this, i can't exactly speak for him, but he seems to get his hive, ultras, really really quickly.

But FG can really tear down IT really quickly. Sometimes you can just end the game if the opponent does like a big roach/infestor/IT spam attack and you just FG his army over and over at a ramp or choke. I think i just play super defensively. if the opponent has no hive done when your ultras are coming, especially with no fourth, then he's deadmeat, so if he's making a lot of roaches, I never hesitate to make more spines, more infestors, so I can survive, because once those ultras pop, you basically win if he doesn't have hive and 4 bases himself, as long as you don't die to such roach bust.

I think your approach seems good. I wasn't being attacked, or even having any attacks feinted, so I just skipped spines almost altogether. Figure that once ultras pop it's basically GG, because I can expand freely and my army > his army. I guess that I was just really, really, really unlucky and if I had 4 spines at the choke to my nat I wouldn't have lost. Honestly, I was like "What the shit do I do now..."

I can't just back away. IT last 30(?) seconds, and they'd just roll through my double evo + natural. He killed my evos when 3/3 was 80% done aha. I guess this scenario doesn't happen often, I'll make sure to add spines even if he isn't being aggressive. I couldn't fungal IT because my infestors wouldn't make it near the front lines without getting fungalled or chased by roaches.
On cloud, you should have spines at the top of the natural ramp so that he can't come up. Plus a lot of spines at the 3rd ramp so that he has to go around, and a few spines in case he does go around.

Infestors should be somewhere between the 3rd and natural, probably split up, and you can chain fungal him any time he tries to go up either one of those ramps. he should not be able to hit your natural - the only somewhat viable attack route is a huge arc hitting the 3rd from both directions.

Any time he spams infested terrans, fungal them. When it looks like a battle is imminent, I start morphing some banelings to use some of my gas. Gas spent on ultralisks or infestors will pay off in 55 seconds, which doesn't matter if you're dead. banelings are for now. Banelings kill infested terrans, splash everything, and make him use more fungals instead of infested terrans.

Also bring queens. they are so good. Whenever I get around to finally attacking I use a nydus worm to bring the queens forward.

whenever possible, counterattack. Many of your zerglings won't contribute very much in a direct fight, so try to keep a lot of your lings active on the map, and use them to either counterattack just before a battle, or bring them in to flank for the battle itself. Flanking is always good, and counterattacking makes it okay for you take damage and still be in the game.

Awesome advice, thanks! I'll keep in mind to do all this.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Host-
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand459 Posts
August 18 2012 02:37 GMT
#246
On August 18 2012 10:24 blade55555 wrote:
Hmm I have started changing the way I get to ultras now. Theory wise I thought going roach/ling and then into ultralisks would only be bad but I actually think it's better.

You don't need 10+ spines and have good fungels. It isn't as intense in terms of if you mess up with the lings/infestor by not fungeling right or he gets a good position it is harder to hold.

I still can do it with ling/infestor like this but I think goign roaches is better and a lot more forgiving. You still do the same double evo at same time and get carapace/melee except you also add a roach warren as well. This way it looks normal and you will be going roach/ling/infestor (only making roaches when you see he's making them) and then getting ultra's as normal.

This way is better as well in the fact that you can take a fourth when he does and it's extremely nice. I think it's much better personally and I decided to give it a go after being told I should.


So how many roaches do you make? Literally as many as your opponent is?
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-18 03:04:07
August 18 2012 03:03 GMT
#247
On August 18 2012 11:37 Host- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 10:24 blade55555 wrote:
Hmm I have started changing the way I get to ultras now. Theory wise I thought going roach/ling and then into ultralisks would only be bad but I actually think it's better.

You don't need 10+ spines and have good fungels. It isn't as intense in terms of if you mess up with the lings/infestor by not fungeling right or he gets a good position it is harder to hold.

I still can do it with ling/infestor like this but I think goign roaches is better and a lot more forgiving. You still do the same double evo at same time and get carapace/melee except you also add a roach warren as well. This way it looks normal and you will be going roach/ling/infestor (only making roaches when you see he's making them) and then getting ultra's as normal.

This way is better as well in the fact that you can take a fourth when he does and it's extremely nice. I think it's much better personally and I decided to give it a go after being told I should.


So how many roaches do you make? Literally as many as your opponent is?


Pretty much yeah as a defensive mechanism. I am going to add replays and I just did a video of it which will be uploaded tonight!

http://www.mediafire.com/?vf666vq4aw4l5n4

Those are 2 replays show casing it (the one on ohana is better to look at).

Will update thread with video later when uploaded.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Walitgon
Profile Joined May 2012
Australia550 Posts
August 18 2012 03:51 GMT
#248
On August 18 2012 10:24 blade55555 wrote:
Hmm I have started changing the way I get to ultras now. Theory wise I thought going roach/ling and then into ultralisks would only be bad but I actually think it's better.

You don't need 10+ spines and have good fungels. It isn't as intense in terms of if you mess up with the lings/infestor by not fungeling right or he gets a good position it is harder to hold.

I still can do it with ling/infestor like this but I think goign roaches is better and a lot more forgiving. You still do the same double evo at same time and get carapace/melee except you also add a roach warren as well. This way it looks normal and you will be going roach/ling/infestor (only making roaches when you see he's making them) and then getting ultra's as normal.

This way is better as well in the fact that you can take a fourth when he does and it's extremely nice. I think it's much better personally and I decided to give it a go after being told I should.


That feeling of vindication
BRB laddering ^_^ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
August 18 2012 04:47 GMT
#249
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-18 04:52:48
August 18 2012 04:49 GMT
#250
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvz, kind of a must imo xD
When I think of something else, something will go here
Host-
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand459 Posts
August 18 2012 04:52 GMT
#251
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 18 2012 04:52 GMT
#252
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.
When I think of something else, something will go here
Host-
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand459 Posts
August 18 2012 04:58 GMT
#253
On August 18 2012 13:52 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.

But isn't it kind of a waste of gas if you're only using them defensively, the 100 gas saved could get you to Hive that little bit faster, and sometimes thats the difference between winning and losing.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 18 2012 04:59 GMT
#254
On August 18 2012 13:58 Host- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 13:52 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.

But isn't it kind of a waste of gas if you're only using them defensively, the 100 gas saved could get you to Hive that little bit faster, and sometimes thats the difference between winning and losing.


Yes but in zvz roach speed is very crucial. If you overstep with roaches and you don't get speed you are losing those roaches. If you want to be aggressive as you see you have a window (lets say you just crushed his army) you don't want slow roaches.

It's worth it trust me :D
When I think of something else, something will go here
Host-
Profile Joined December 2010
New Zealand459 Posts
August 18 2012 05:00 GMT
#255
On August 18 2012 13:59 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 13:58 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.

But isn't it kind of a waste of gas if you're only using them defensively, the 100 gas saved could get you to Hive that little bit faster, and sometimes thats the difference between winning and losing.


Yes but in zvz roach speed is very crucial. If you overstep with roaches and you don't get speed you are losing those roaches. If you want to be aggressive as you see you have a window (lets say you just crushed his army) you don't want slow roaches.

It's worth it trust me :D

Ok fair enough
M4nkind
Profile Joined December 2011
Lithuania178 Posts
August 18 2012 13:41 GMT
#256
On August 18 2012 14:00 Host- wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 13:59 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:58 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.

But isn't it kind of a waste of gas if you're only using them defensively, the 100 gas saved could get you to Hive that little bit faster, and sometimes thats the difference between winning and losing.


Yes but in zvz roach speed is very crucial. If you overstep with roaches and you don't get speed you are losing those roaches. If you want to be aggressive as you see you have a window (lets say you just crushed his army) you don't want slow roaches.

It's worth it trust me :D

Ok fair enough



I would think that we are stepping to some other build if we start using roaches. Isn't the big idea of this thread to go ling infestor into ultra? You are discussing about roach infestor into ultra now which is a bit different.

I try this build in almost each zvz game and I feel that its semi viable. I feel that heavy roach push can be hard to hold with lings + spines only. Against passive zerg player this build is great. How do you people feel when using this buid? Do you feel always in control or you got a feeling that you can slip and loose? Often I feel I can slip to some weird roach + baneling bust.
Read my epic book, people: http://www.wattpad.com/story/23976849-the-business-of-time-travel
Catatafish
Profile Joined April 2012
75 Posts
August 18 2012 15:57 GMT
#257
On August 18 2012 22:41 M4nkind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 14:00 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:59 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:58 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.

But isn't it kind of a waste of gas if you're only using them defensively, the 100 gas saved could get you to Hive that little bit faster, and sometimes thats the difference between winning and losing.


Yes but in zvz roach speed is very crucial. If you overstep with roaches and you don't get speed you are losing those roaches. If you want to be aggressive as you see you have a window (lets say you just crushed his army) you don't want slow roaches.

It's worth it trust me :D

Ok fair enough



I would think that we are stepping to some other build if we start using roaches. Isn't the big idea of this thread to go ling infestor into ultra? You are discussing about roach infestor into ultra now which is a bit different.

I try this build in almost each zvz game and I feel that its semi viable. I feel that heavy roach push can be hard to hold with lings + spines only. Against passive zerg player this build is great. How do you people feel when using this buid? Do you feel always in control or you got a feeling that you can slip and loose? Often I feel I can slip to some weird roach + baneling bust.


Look at the replays he posted. The basic strategy is exactly the same. If adding in roaches when needed turns out to be superior, he shouldn't recommend that because that would be 'a different build'? The strategy boils down to safely getting 3/5 ultras, and there shouldn't be anything wrong with playing flexibly until that point.
NeonFox
Profile Joined January 2011
2373 Posts
August 18 2012 16:15 GMT
#258
On August 18 2012 13:59 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 13:58 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.

But isn't it kind of a waste of gas if you're only using them defensively, the 100 gas saved could get you to Hive that little bit faster, and sometimes thats the difference between winning and losing.


Yes but in zvz roach speed is very crucial. If you overstep with roaches and you don't get speed you are losing those roaches. If you want to be aggressive as you see you have a window (lets say you just crushed his army) you don't want slow roaches.

It's worth it trust me :D


Stephano does this exact opening in ZvZ nowadays, double evo with +1 melee and +1 carapace, get roach warren super late (after the third is down). But he stays on roaches after that. I think it is superior in the early game, 1/1 on lings will crush early roach pushes, big mobility allows him to jump between his third and the opponent's third to constantly threaten it and still defend.

Sadly he doesn't have the vods up for KR ladder but if you can catch his stream after MLG maybe he'll show it again.
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 18 2012 17:47 GMT
#259
On August 18 2012 22:41 M4nkind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2012 14:00 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:59 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:58 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:52 Host- wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:49 blade55555 wrote:
On August 18 2012 13:47 Oboeman wrote:
Would you get roach speed? or does it depend on how many roaches you're forced into making?

Kind of like in zvt...

and zvp now that I think of it.


I always get roach speed in zvt, kind of a must imo xD

I think what he means is that because your roaches are defensive, are you still getting roach speed.


I meant zvz also. Yes zvz I always do. Didn't mean to say zvt woops.

But isn't it kind of a waste of gas if you're only using them defensively, the 100 gas saved could get you to Hive that little bit faster, and sometimes thats the difference between winning and losing.


Yes but in zvz roach speed is very crucial. If you overstep with roaches and you don't get speed you are losing those roaches. If you want to be aggressive as you see you have a window (lets say you just crushed his army) you don't want slow roaches.

It's worth it trust me :D

Ok fair enough



I would think that we are stepping to some other build if we start using roaches. Isn't the big idea of this thread to go ling infestor into ultra? You are discussing about roach infestor into ultra now which is a bit different.

I try this build in almost each zvz game and I feel that its semi viable. I feel that heavy roach push can be hard to hold with lings + spines only. Against passive zerg player this build is great. How do you people feel when using this buid? Do you feel always in control or you got a feeling that you can slip and loose? Often I feel I can slip to some weird roach + baneling bust.


It's really not that different. The end result is the same and you still get ultralisks at about the same time (I start hive at 12 minutes).

You can hold roach/baneling bust but you need to have at least 5 spines I think it is and banelings of your own so that you can kill his banes with yours.

Also guys here's a video show casing my slight modification to this build!

When I think of something else, something will go here
AmbitioNsc2
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada5 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 07:10:49
August 20 2012 06:51 GMT
#260
Just faced a guy who went roach aggression into roach turtling with mass spine into mass mass brood lord. He skipped infestors. This is probably fairly limited information but what is the best way to react to this?

It was also on Shakuras so defensive spines and brood lord push was really strong and made it impossible to counter.
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 15 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 34m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE149
Nina 118
Nathanias 48
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15947
Artosis 335
White-Ra 284
ToSsGirL 23
Dota 2
monkeys_forever343
NeuroSwarm108
League of Legends
Doublelift3980
Counter-Strike
fl0m1382
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox646
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1937
Liquid`Hasu1521
Trikslyr56
Other Games
summit1g7507
Grubby3353
ArmadaUGS1312
shahzam558
JimRising 244
C9.Mang0208
ZombieGrub62
Mew2King43
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV222
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream125
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• musti20045 35
• davetesta27
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 40
• Azhi_Dahaki19
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1129
• Scarra1031
• Shiphtur278
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
11h 34m
OSC
14h 34m
Stellar Fest
14h 34m
OSC
1d 1h
Stellar Fest
1d 14h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.