• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:11
CEST 01:11
KST 08:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)20Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10415 users

[G] Zerg vs Zerg ling/infestor into ultralisks - Page 12

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 17 Next All
gronnelg
Profile Joined December 2010
Norway354 Posts
August 12 2012 07:57 GMT
#221
My zvz is no longer an auto-loss thanks to this build. Yay! :D
Lulzez || My stream: http://www.twitch.tv/gronnelg
roym899
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany426 Posts
August 12 2012 09:23 GMT
#222
I wonder if there is any Roach based counter to this build? Just mass roach from 2 / 3 (unsaturated) base? Drops? Nydus?
It's so terriible to play against this style. It's like a time bomb and when Ultras are out or even when more then 2 infestors are out you have actually lost the game.
CoughingHydra
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
177 Posts
August 12 2012 10:57 GMT
#223
On August 12 2012 16:19 Belial88 wrote:
http://drop.sc/236914

Here's a game where we both went fast third, very passive at the start, and then he masses speedroaches after saturating his bases.

I tried to sort of follow what you sort of do, but I just die. I tyhink I should have massed way more spines, maybe I should have delayed my third gas and instead gotten more spines and stuff. I didn't get hive like you do, I couldnt imagine surviving if I had started hive.

I'm just going to stick with my style of maybe not droning up my third and massing spines and infestors and then going hive much later.

I'm guessing this style just isn't viable on maps like shakuras.. (this replay wasn't on shakuras, just an aside)


In that replay you just fell further and further behind in the drone count, I don't think there was a point where you were even at drones and that's the main reason you had almost nothing while he had an actual army in the end.

First, why such an early spine when you scouted he went for the ~14pool ~16hatch build and only at about 3:45 he started gas. Generally you can start your spine(s) 2 minutes after he takes his 1 gas. Second, why would you get such early gas yourself if you don't want to be aggressive yourself ( and you went baneling nest first?! ) and actually you could have just killed him with mass zerglings cause he had only 2 queens and no spines within a long period of time ( and he didn't scout at all and was playing very risky ) - and this weakness you could have scouted with a pair of lings.

Also, injects aren't as good as they should be - one of the reasons you fell behind in larva and thus fell behind in drones, and the second reason you fell behind in larva is you didn't/couldn't spend larva as soon as it pops (you get larva from hatcheries this way) because you invested so much money in early tech you didn't use ( speed, bling nest ).

If the reason you get early speed and bling nest is you're afraid of early ling bling all-ins, then i'll just say that the best defense is a good offense - but you don't need to commit if the other guy is well defended, just try to force some units, otherwise you'll fall behind vs greedy players like in this replay.

So, as you can see, you would have lost even if you went roaches yourself...
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-12 11:25:28
August 12 2012 11:25 GMT
#224
^ I went baneling first because I've been trying it out as a way to deal with pool first builds in general, but I'll go speed first against pool/hatch builds, for the future.

I don't think my spine and bane nest were unnecessarily early - most pros tend to get their spine/bane nest around 30-35 supply. But they end up banking about 100+ gas too, so I think just getting it on 26 is the better choice, since you don't bank gas and a ling/bane all-in can occur before a 30+ bane nest finishes. But I suppose against pool/hatch builds I'll remove 2 off gas or something from now on.

I suppose I could have killed him with ling/bane, but it's not like I was able to scout reliably that he was being that greedy. I think now on against pool/hatch builds though I'll scout with 2 lings right away for that though, i think that's an interesting idea.

I'll work on optimizing my build to be a bit greedier against pool/hatch builds. Maybe make the spine way later or something. I really feel a bane nest early on is important, 30+ puts you vulnerable to ling/bane all-ins and isn't honest enough imo, and you end up banking gas so might as well take it 2 supply earlier.

I'll look over the game, see where my macro failed though. thanks.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
b0ub0u
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada445 Posts
August 13 2012 03:01 GMT
#225
On August 12 2012 16:57 gronnelg wrote:
My zvz is no longer an auto-loss thanks to this build. Yay! :D


Exactly the same for me, high Platinum player here. I was winning about 10% of my ZvZs before. Now maybe 40-50% with this strat. I found that I get behind on macro sometime I might be missing some injects and all. But when I do get that composition going, it is almost unstoppable. Armies melt so fast it`s not even funny.


In the swarm we trust
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
August 14 2012 19:48 GMT
#226
I asked Stephano why he changed up his style:

[image loading]

I'm still having much success myself and don't quite know what blind counters he means, but I thought this might help you guys.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
M4nkind
Profile Joined December 2011
Lithuania178 Posts
August 14 2012 22:53 GMT
#227
this build has one problem - its so damn hard hard to get 3rd vs some aware roach player. I often get 4 spines on the ramp to natural and go huge ling offensive to run and wreck his 3rd/natural. If I see his roaches moving to deny my 3rd. And I rally lings to my spines, that way I can defend/wreck his base and often get a slight edge. (lings vs roaches directly can fail sometimes)

I think before going to lair its better to do this - get 1 gas - get speed and start evolution chambers + 2nd gas. Get macro hatch to be able to produce more lings. When you start lair produce mass lings and start your 3rd. Then add aditional gasses when you start infestor tech. Dont rush too fast to get all gas since you will reduce your mineral income which can help a lot when you want to kill roaches with lings + spines.

This build is much more fun then roach wars, but I can tell that it is much much harder to understand. And opponent can much easier secure /make fast 3rd by defending it with baneling/roach then you with lings/banelings only.

I heard some people do get 1 evolution and +1 roach attack then add additional evolution chamber and start dual upgrades meele/carapace. that way they can get 3rd more safe and get to ling/ultra/infestor eventually.
Read my epic book, people: http://www.wattpad.com/story/23976849-the-business-of-time-travel
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 15 2012 00:43 GMT
#228
On August 15 2012 04:48 oOOoOphidian wrote:
I asked Stephano why he changed up his style:

[image loading]

I'm still having much success myself and don't quite know what blind counters he means, but I thought this might help you guys.


well like everything else there are little exploits. If you know for a fact your opponent is doing this style you can be greedy and take a faster fourth knowing that he can't kill or abuse it since he is going ultralisks.

I mean that's the only thing I can really think of as a blind counter and being super defensive maybe with many spines?

Not sure but I can agree with him if you are a big time player and only do one build, expect it to get blind countered eventually xD
When I think of something else, something will go here
M4nkind
Profile Joined December 2011
Lithuania178 Posts
August 15 2012 10:54 GMT
#229
On August 15 2012 09:43 blade55555 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 04:48 oOOoOphidian wrote:
I asked Stephano why he changed up his style:

[image loading]

I'm still having much success myself and don't quite know what blind counters he means, but I thought this might help you guys.


well like everything else there are little exploits. If you know for a fact your opponent is doing this style you can be greedy and take a faster fourth knowing that he can't kill or abuse it since he is going ultralisks.

I mean that's the only thing I can really think of as a blind counter and being super defensive maybe with many spines?

Not sure but I can agree with him if you are a big time player and only do one build, expect it to get blind countered eventually xD



I would say that blind counter is roach + baneling + ling attack when opponent has ~50 drones on 2 bases
Read my epic book, people: http://www.wattpad.com/story/23976849-the-business-of-time-travel
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 16 2012 02:50 GMT
#230
i cant find any pro VODS of anyone doing this.

wtf.

How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
August 16 2012 03:58 GMT
#231
On August 16 2012 11:50 Belial88 wrote:
i cant find any pro VODS of anyone doing this.

wtf.


stephano turned all his vods off, but they'll be back after MLG.

check out symbol vs nestea and drg vs symbol for some examples in GSL
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
blade55555
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States17423 Posts
August 16 2012 04:09 GMT
#232
On August 16 2012 12:58 oOOoOphidian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 16 2012 11:50 Belial88 wrote:
i cant find any pro VODS of anyone doing this.

wtf.


stephano turned all his vods off, but they'll be back after MLG.

check out symbol vs nestea and drg vs symbol for some examples in GSL


stephano vs some korean zerg in a tournament to.
When I think of something else, something will go here
kawaiiryuko
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States368 Posts
August 16 2012 04:48 GMT
#233
On August 15 2012 19:54 M4nkind wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 15 2012 09:43 blade55555 wrote:
On August 15 2012 04:48 oOOoOphidian wrote:
I asked Stephano why he changed up his style:

[image loading]

I'm still having much success myself and don't quite know what blind counters he means, but I thought this might help you guys.


well like everything else there are little exploits. If you know for a fact your opponent is doing this style you can be greedy and take a faster fourth knowing that he can't kill or abuse it since he is going ultralisks.

I mean that's the only thing I can really think of as a blind counter and being super defensive maybe with many spines?

Not sure but I can agree with him if you are a big time player and only do one build, expect it to get blind countered eventually xD



I would say that blind counter is roach + baneling + ling attack when opponent has ~50 drones on 2 bases


Couldn't you blind counter by getting fast BLs?
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 16 2012 06:13 GMT
#234
^ You'd be stuck on 3 bases, while the ultra player takes the map. If it's a map like cloud or or something where you are spread out, you can't defend all your bases from the super mobile ultras either. Not to mention, the ultra player will just see your broodlords, get a spire, and then make a handful of corruptors and roll you, since ultra/infestor is just sooooooo cost efficient against any ground based army zerg can make, they'll have the 'bigger' army in the sense that they'll crush your air army with their corruptor/infestors, and crush your ground army with the ultra/infestor, and then you die. Only possible way I see broods working is if the supply cap didn't exist.

If you mass spines, the ultra player will then simply transition into broodlords himself, except he's been on 5+ bases while you were only on 3 this whole time, so he'll definitely win that battle. He really doesn't need to make broodlords anytime sono since ultra/infestor/ling doesn't care about spines, so he'll kill your entire army, and then finish you up as you are starved on 3 base.

Broodlords are the endgame goal for zerg, but there's just no feasible way to get there. Roach/hydra/infestor armies just counterattack broodlords like crazy (nydus, etc even), while ultras will have too much map control against someone who goes broodlords before ultras.

I don't really know how you blind counter this build, except maybe on certain maps. i dont think you can do this ling/infestor build on maps like shakuras where the third is so far.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Oboeman
Profile Joined January 2011
Canada3980 Posts
August 16 2012 06:27 GMT
#235
What about that old hatch tech 2-base roach-baneling all-in? it used to be a common build for trying to kill a muta player before the mutalisks are out. When you were going 2 base muta you had to build like 11 spine crawlers, spread out, and try to take out as many of his banes as possible with your own banes. Muta players could win by just barely holding and then using the map control to get way ahead again.
You'd defend in the same way, but I don't know if someone going infestor would get as far ahead after making (and losing) that many spinecrawlers, although I suppose you'd have the opportunity to play aggressively instead of defensively.
oOOoOphidian
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1402 Posts
August 16 2012 15:19 GMT
#236
Nestea just used this strategy in game 3 at IEM against Violet. The replay should be up soon. He had a very aggressive style, starting with 10 pool, then denying the 3rd, and constantly counter attacking.
Creator of sc2unmasked.com
Moosegills
Profile Joined March 2011
United States558 Posts
August 16 2012 15:23 GMT
#237
(insert a complication of Artosis quotes about Nestea and how he rules the universe)

While Nestea did some nice counter attacking and burrowed infestor stuff that game, Violet played it out quite horribly imo.
#1 HuK fan, zerg player playing for http://www.complexitygaming.com - @coL_Moosegills
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 16 2012 20:30 GMT
#238
check out symbol vs nestea and drg vs symbol for some examples in GSL


that was a long time ago though by now. ill recheck them out though.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
August 17 2012 23:44 GMT
#239
Okay, I need a little help with this style. I died to a roach/infestor timing that hit right when ultras popped. He made a 3-man-thick wall of infested terrans at my natural on cloud, my lings died to his roaches. My ultras were in my natural, infestors in my third, and the IT/roach just melted down my 5 ultralisks losing only a few units, if any.
I know it was a razer-thin, really lucky timing; my ultras literally popped 10 seconds after he attacked.
Was this bad luck, or are people figuring out this style? Full energy infestors can make walls like it's easy, and my ultras derp around and die.

Has anyone else had troubles with this, or is it just my bad macro and timings?
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Psychlone
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada90 Posts
August 17 2012 23:55 GMT
#240
I had trouble against this build until I found out the solution:

Completely passive Roach-Hydra-Infestor expending style with lots of spines everywhere.

I would fungal his zerglings and spam infested terrans at his face. His army became so cost inefficient and just crashed harmlessly on my defenses. I just kept a good overlord spread and kept a few infestors to fungal ling runbys.

He eventually tried to counter my ITs with ITs of his own, but I had a big upgrade advantage. He quickly ran out of steam and collapsed soon thereafter.
Prev 1 10 11 12 13 14 17 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE169
Nina 114
Nathanias 60
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13698
Artosis 558
White-Ra 218
ToSsGirL 31
Dota 2
monkeys_forever428
NeuroSwarm153
League of Legends
Doublelift4465
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1215
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1917
Other Games
summit1g7794
Grubby3503
ArmadaUGS693
shahzam627
JimRising 381
C9.Mang0299
Trikslyr50
ZombieGrub42
Mew2King42
Maynarde29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick537
BasetradeTV189
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream104
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 68
• davetesta37
• musti20045 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 32
• Azhi_Dahaki25
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1089
• Scarra825
• Shiphtur261
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
10h 49m
OSC
13h 49m
Stellar Fest
13h 49m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.