• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:12
CEST 10:12
KST 17:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War605.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7621 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 141

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 139 140 141 142 143 432 Next
Phrostbite
Profile Joined March 2013
United States6 Posts
March 15 2013 20:50 GMT
#2801
I use a laptop to play sc2 so the left handed option would most likely work best for me, my question is though, has anybody had issues with there pinky hitting certain keys as a zerg? Obviously I see that it is designed for people to use their right hand but since I cannot detach my keyboard it would have to be the option I would have to use. I am still extremely new and figured I may as well learn a good hotkey system than learn standard then have to adapt to a new layout.
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
March 15 2013 20:53 GMT
#2802
On March 16 2013 05:50 Phrostbite wrote:
I use a laptop to play sc2 so the left handed option would most likely work best for me, my question is though, has anybody had issues with there pinky hitting certain keys as a zerg? Obviously I see that it is designed for people to use their right hand but since I cannot detach my keyboard it would have to be the option I would have to use. I am still extremely new and figured I may as well learn a good hotkey system than learn standard then have to adapt to a new layout.

If you're using a laptop, then you should try out Chameleon or DarkGrid for optimized layouts. TheCore really does not work on laptops.
Phrostbite
Profile Joined March 2013
United States6 Posts
March 15 2013 21:04 GMT
#2803
What about something like This, fleetkeys?

Can you link chameleon or dark grid? I think I heard of dark grid, are those updated for hots?
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
March 15 2013 21:53 GMT
#2804
Jak recently updated Chameleon for HotS I believe, you can find it here: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=333891

DarkGrid (http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=257590) is no longer being supported, so it isn't fully compatible with HotS (you'd need to make some adjustments to it).

I can't really comment on fleetkeys, since I don't know too much about it, but I'd guess that any custom set-up is probably going to be superior to standard.
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
March 16 2013 00:33 GMT
#2805
I recommend Chameleon Layout for laptop users. Darkgrid is no longer being supported and doesn't have all the benefits that Chameleon has (since I revamped it very recently using what I learned from TheCore). Fleetkeys is a lightly modified layout based on grid and is easy to switch over to, but again, doesn't offer the same speed and efficiency as Chameleon does. If you are new and looking for a layout built from the ground up, Chameleon is as close to TheCore as you can get for a laptop.

@JDub

Abso-fucking-lutely do that change for chat. (If you wouldn't mind updating the version to 0.6.3 that would be excellent as well)
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Slayer_Chessi
Profile Joined January 2013
Czech Republic30 Posts
March 16 2013 00:39 GMT
#2806
all i can say is: those layouts are useless, u will hit with another fingers when u 1a2a3a4a5a6a7a then when u ctrl+1++2+3+4
Whirligig
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom77 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-16 08:04:13
March 16 2013 08:03 GMT
#2807
On March 16 2013 09:39 Slayer_Chessi wrote:
all i can say is: those layouts are useless, u will hit with another fingers when u 1a2a3a4a5a6a7a then when u ctrl+1++2+3+4

You've clearly never used the layout, as the attack move command is at least 3 keys away from every other hotkey, I can 1a2a3a etc, without crashing any of my fingers into each other.
Ticcie
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands43 Posts
March 16 2013 08:48 GMT
#2808
Wow... using tab for chat is actually really nice for other right handed layouts as well. It prevents accidental opening of the chat bar, and frees up a very reachable key.

Moved everything that's currently on G to Enter, since that is a pain to reach on a ergo keyboard (other side of the split).
More lurking more better
umavfx
Profile Joined September 2012
Sweden11 Posts
March 16 2013 12:51 GMT
#2809
Hey Core crew! I might have a stupid question that you could help me with.
I am a PRM. When I play the HOTS campaign, should I download ZRM or will PRM support the campaign?!

Hints or tips would be appreciated.

Best
Niklas
Morsk
Profile Joined January 2013
United States16 Posts
March 16 2013 16:18 GMT
#2810
I also think Tab for chat is a huge improvement for all right-hand layouts. I'd already done some shuffling so all chat was Alt-Enter, Ctrl-Enter, etc., and plain Enter was unused. It reduced errors. But moving it to Tab is even better.

Opening chat accidentally is hugely annoying, and may contribute to bad first impressions of the layout. On the other hand, new users not knowing how to open chat without Enter could overtake Ctrl-Shift-0 as the #1 FAQ...
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-16 16:22:33
March 16 2013 16:22 GMT
#2811
@umavfx

You can play any campaign with any version of TheCore. So, use PRM (also you can offrace without changing layouts). Each file is designed to make offracing as similar as possible to main racing. So if your Probes are on I, your SCVs will be on I. Your Forge/Evo/EBay will be on the same key, etc etc

I think we should consider moving chat to Tab for all xRxx layouts. What do you all think?
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-16 20:20:55
March 16 2013 16:29 GMT
#2812
EDIT: removed by the author.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-17 17:00:36
March 16 2013 17:17 GMT
#2813
1) Yes, I think moving chat to tab is a brilliant move. Does enter still need to be pressed to send chat, or can tab be used both to input and send? EDIT: I see that it can be both. I think this is good.

2) in XRM, enter can take the place of whatever = is set to (notably, build advanced). I can't find enter in the dev doc, but I assume its better than = since it is a curl as opposed to a reach of somewhat equal length. I could be mistaken though.

3) in ZRMM, ' is the suggested cg for viper, and [ is consume. This is a double press. Should we change it to M? M is the better key anyways.

4) in ZRXM, what control group do you suggest putting all overlords on? M5 with evo/spire? What control groups do you suggest for lings and banes?

EDIT:

5) For ZRMM, what do you think about putting creep on [? Since creep queens are unhotkeyed, an ability is ok on the index finger, and [ is better than H.

6) N(4) is better than 8(5) and U(5) yet those gets priority for larva and zerg buildings as well as for Protoss and Terran abilities/cams if I am reading correctly. Why?

EDIT : Actually, according to the dev doc, the order for the keys with scores of 4 and 5 should be H N 8 U. Zerg's order is 8 H U N. Terran's is 8 U H N, and Protoss I am not sure, but it seems to be 8 H N U or 8 H U N. Is it possible that you never modified these things after you found out the pinkie was great? The only strange thing I can see is the prevalence of 8 over H and N, which use the pinkie. Other than that, I'm not sure what's going on. Am I missing something obvious? We both know I tend to :p.

Further, M is better than K yet K gets priority. I understand why that needs to be the case for units because of stop and base cams, but it need not be true for larva and buildings.

7) I changed the abilities of the SH in the data doc since we didn't do it when we reverted burrow. I highlighted the whole thing in yellow so you can double check. Is that ok?
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
umavfx
Profile Joined September 2012
Sweden11 Posts
March 16 2013 21:49 GMT
#2814
Ok thx Jak!
Excellent work with the core btw, has made Starcraft much more fun for me, I went from hi-plat to hi-diamond in one season, after 8 seasons stagnate plat....

Cheers
fengshaun
Profile Joined April 2012
149 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-16 22:59:34
March 16 2013 22:42 GMT
#2815
The latest core 0.6.2 (git version) seems to have a problem with burrow/unburrow keybinds. Both are mapped to M for roaches but are mapped to O for spines/spores. I remember reading here that burrow was going to be mapped to M and unburrow to O for everything. What happened? Right now, this setup is really inconsistent!

EDIT: also, is it safe to just clone the git repo and use that in the game, or am I gonna be surprised a lot?

EDIT2: I might be missing something, but since third ability is now on H, why is viper's consume and ovie's poop creep on M? Wouldn't it make sense for them to be on H too? Although I guess M is easier to hit than H.
Prologuetheory
Profile Joined March 2013
United States1 Post
March 16 2013 23:10 GMT
#2816
On March 15 2013 11:18 EvilSource wrote:
I need a new keyboard with NKRO... CANT SELECT CRTL + SHIT + 0 , Is Really Irritiating



I was having the same issue as you, but then I did some googling and was able to resolve it. Hopefully it works for you as well. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967893

Basically windows has that keybind reserved for some language/keyboard command which most people do not use, and causes a conflict when that same command is used in another application.
Hope it helps. Cheers!
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
March 16 2013 23:33 GMT
#2817
@Feng. Sorry for the confusion. The data doc is updated for .6.3 which isn't released yet. What is in the data doc is likely to be the way it will be unless Jak and I/others revise. Burrow will be on M and Unburrow on O for all units. Spine and spore will retain O because it has a totally different function than burrow for units. As for third ability, we gave each unit the best possible key that it could have, instead of opting for uniformity.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
fengshaun
Profile Joined April 2012
149 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-17 00:16:33
March 17 2013 00:14 GMT
#2818
ok, that makes sense for roaches and hydras, but what happens to burrow for infestors, drones, and queens (which can also be time-sensitive)?

EDIT: nevermind, it seems the keybinds won't overlap with M/O burrow/unburrow. Thanks for the clarification!
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
March 17 2013 00:30 GMT
#2819
Exactly
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Rainling
Profile Joined June 2011
United States456 Posts
March 17 2013 02:08 GMT
#2820
On March 17 2013 01:22 JaKaTaK wrote:
@umavfx

You can play any campaign with any version of TheCore. So, use PRM (also you can offrace without changing layouts). Each file is designed to make offracing as similar as possible to main racing. So if your Probes are on I, your SCVs will be on I. Your Forge/Evo/EBay will be on the same key, etc etc

I think we should consider moving chat to Tab for all xRxx layouts. What do you all think?

I think moving chat to Tab for right handed layouts is a great idea. Enter is a potentially useful hotkey, and l often accidentally press it when using the ' control group. Tab isn't useful in right handed layouts, but it's easy to press, and when typing it's necessary to move your hand to the left side of the keyboard regardless.
Prev 1 139 140 141 142 143 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 48m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4541
Leta 2288
BeSt 502
Soulkey 395
Soma 183
Rush 65
ZergMaN 30
Shine 30
Dota 2
XcaliburYe115
League of Legends
JimRising 547
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King55
Other Games
summit1g9329
WinterStarcraft714
Sick248
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV198
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Sammyuel 35
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2311
League of Legends
• Jankos763
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1h 48m
Patches Events
6h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
BSL Open Qualifier
10h 48m
OSC
14h 48m
OSC
1d 3h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.