• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:58
CEST 09:58
KST 16:58
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War435.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9083 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 139

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 137 138 139 140 141 432 Next
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
March 13 2013 22:00 GMT
#2761
Ranged units are all ground units with the exception of zealots, DTs, and Archons. (basically anything you would want in the front of an engagement)

For Protoss I suggest having the Ranged/Melee groups instead of 1 big group. I do put stalkers in both the ranged and the stalker only group.

Sentries go with the ranged units. You want them in the center of your army for protection and guardian shields. Since HTs are on their own CG the sentry will have casting priority for your ranged CG.

Immortals are ranged ground units and go in the ranged group.

Do not use a CG for a building probe. It is very inefficient. Use camera location keys to take you to your base and grab a worker that has just returned minerals.

there isn't a reference document for AZERTY keyboards, but if you look in the visual aides section you will be able to see the locations of the keys there.

Hope that helps. GL HF!
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
LessPewPewMoarQQ
Profile Joined May 2011
United States23 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-13 22:07:40
March 13 2013 22:05 GMT
#2762
On March 14 2013 04:28 Kiramind wrote:

* what are considered as ranged units ? (colossus, tempest,...)
* should I keep a CG containing my whole army as well a dedicated CG for each type of unit ? in which CG ?
* with which units should I put my sentries ?
* where should I put my immortals ?
* is it ok to keep a building probe in one CG ? (I have always played like this and I find hard to do otherwise). If yes, in which CG ?



You should really experiment with the control groups and find what feels most natural/intuitive to you. While doing this, if you have an extra CG to spare then you can use it for a building probe; however, I wouldn't suggest prioritizing that because just using the camera hotkeys to switch to a base and select a probe is a lot more efficient and flexible. Other than that you could listen to Coldlogic.

Edit: and listen to JaK too
I'm herpin' while I'm derpin' and I encourage you to try it.
AlbinouZe
Profile Joined March 2013
France3 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-13 23:13:20
March 13 2013 23:13 GMT
#2763
On March 14 2013 04:25 ShaolinZorg wrote:
done , nothing happened ... I have no kinetic entry in the hotkey file,
could you take a look in your hotkey file and tell me if you have any (and show me the exact key) ?


PsionicLift/K5Kerrigan=P
PsionicLift/K5KerriganBurrowed=P
(...)
MindBolt/K5Kerrigan=O
MindBolt/K5KerriganBurrowed=O

Obviously, the KerriganGhostLab refers to the first levels, that's maybe why it didn't work for you. It's also stored in alphabetical order, looks like it matters regarding other posts. But as I said, I set it up regularly in game, and the change worked a while after, maybe when I got up to the next mission when you get out of the labs...
Fiziks
Profile Joined December 2010
United States59 Posts
March 14 2013 00:11 GMT
#2764
On March 14 2013 00:51 JaKaTaK wrote:
@Fiziks

DO NOT USE YOUR PINKY FOR Y!!!

This is not ergonomic for your wrist. Instead use your ring finger, sliding your wrist to the side instead of twisting it.


Thanks for the response, JaK. I think the reason I started using my pinky in the first place was because my ring finger had to travel over U to get to Y and sometimes I wouldn't make it all the way to Y without looking at the keyboard and would end up lifting Rax's. This was insanely boner killing when I first started using core, so I just started using my pinky for Y, which helped from Rax's getting lifted, but it didn't help as much as just simply moving the techlab to a different row of keys than lifting.

I suppose it depends on which BO you're using, but I feel like I build add-ons more often than I lift and swap buildings around, so that's why I changed it. It's probably different from other players.

Thanks for putting so much work into this hotkey system. I absolutely love it so far.
Op
Profile Joined November 2012
73 Posts
March 14 2013 00:40 GMT
#2765

Hi,

How/where can I see what changed between the different versions ?

Thanks
Ejjman1
Profile Joined March 2013
United States1 Post
March 14 2013 05:03 GMT
#2766
Hey man, just stumbled across custom layouts now after playing for a couple years, I figured it was time to up the game a little. I am really liking the Core after a days usage, I'm very excited to see where it takes me.

Hope to see this supported continually with HotS and beyond!!
Kiramind
Profile Joined June 2012
France6 Posts
March 14 2013 06:33 GMT
#2767
Thank you for you answers. I think it will be a hard journey for me getting rid of the habit of having a probe in one CG :p. But I'm here to improve so I will do my best !!

Thanks,

Kiramind
ShaolinZorg
Profile Joined February 2013
Belgium47 Posts
March 14 2013 07:49 GMT
#2768
On March 14 2013 08:13 AlbinouZe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 14 2013 04:25 ShaolinZorg wrote:
done , nothing happened ... I have no kinetic entry in the hotkey file,
could you take a look in your hotkey file and tell me if you have any (and show me the exact key) ?


PsionicLift/K5Kerrigan=P
PsionicLift/K5KerriganBurrowed=P
(...)
MindBolt/K5Kerrigan=O
MindBolt/K5KerriganBurrowed=O

Obviously, the KerriganGhostLab refers to the first levels, that's maybe why it didn't work for you. It's also stored in alphabetical order, looks like it matters regarding other posts. But as I said, I set it up regularly in game, and the change worked a while after, maybe when I got up to the next mission when you get out of the labs...


okay, now these keys have suddently changed to my configuration. fixed.

but now, I just gained Leaping strike and there is not hotkey associated, no entry in the file and no icon in the menu to change it ..
and i have the same trouble with morphing in Zerglings
Qui veut voyager loin ménage sa monture
Ticcie
Profile Joined June 2010
Netherlands43 Posts
March 14 2013 11:42 GMT
#2769
Thanks Sixtus for the campaign work. Using your fixes made finishing the campaign on brutal possible, even though I still did a lot of clicking on the command card for non-targetted abilities.

I will probably only revisit the campaign once all the hotkeys are working, if that is even possible given how messed up the system currently is.
More lurking more better
JaKaTaKSc2
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States2787 Posts
March 14 2013 15:33 GMT
#2770
The first batch of Campaign hotkeys are ready for testing. Please use this version to run through the campaign and report any issues:

https://github.com/jonnyhweiss/TheCoreConverter
Commentatorhttps://www.youtube.com/JaKaTaKtv
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
March 14 2013 15:40 GMT
#2771
On March 15 2013 00:33 JaKaTaK wrote:
The first batch of Campaign hotkeys are ready for testing. Please use this version to run through the campaign and report any issues:

https://github.com/jonnyhweiss/TheCoreConverter

Note to everyone downloading straight from GitHub:

1) Versions for different keyboards are in separate sub-folders.
2) All 48 different layouts of TheCore are lumped together in the same folder.
3) To download one, click on it in GitHub and then press the "Raw" link above and to the right of the file contents. This will let you get just the text file, which can you save to your HotKeys folder.
EvilSource
Profile Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-14 16:40:31
March 14 2013 15:57 GMT
#2772
Just to mention one modification i made.... I switched the right windows and alt keys... so the alt key is now much more accessible.

I did this rather then removing the Windows key, as Its easier to reach the alt if its further over

But you have to use a key re mapper... working on making a keyboard layout that can be loaded in windows as normal

But TBH its easier to just remap it with http://sharpkeys.codeplex.com/ but im not sure this is tournament legal wheres if i can create a keyboard layout that switched them im pretty sure thats fine.
sil0r
Profile Joined March 2013
Germany43 Posts
March 14 2013 18:28 GMT
#2773
RRM German Layout; Mission: The Enemy Within
Morph Baneling is on "E"

You guys are doing such an amazing work. Keep it up. You just made the game more fun for me. With these hotkeys it's easier for me to play the game i love. So love to you guys and heaps of appreciation.
The early third hatches the drone
fengshaun
Profile Joined April 2012
149 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-14 18:49:06
March 14 2013 18:46 GMT
#2774
@EvilSource: hmmm the idea seems intriguing. So, as I understand, you just swapped Alt and Win key because Win key is, for right handed layouts, easier to reach?

I just tested whether Win key can be used as a modifier in SC2 directly...it can't, and I don't think a modification like that would be tournament-acceptable. I might be mistaken, though.

EDIT: also, is it safe to replace stable 0.6.2 with the github version?
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
March 14 2013 18:51 GMT
#2775
I just made the switch yesterday and I've been practicing against AI's to familiarize myself with this new set up. My APM (expectantly) dropped to an average of around 100 since changing but I'm not too worried about that for now since I'm still learning. I have a couple of questions about the recommended control groups and location hot keys though (PRM 0.6.2).

1) Why are the main/nexus and production building/rally point hot keys switched around? "P" CG selects my nexus but "P" camera brings me to my rally point/warp in pylon while "O" CG selects my production buildings but "O" camera brings me to my main. I know this is just the recommended system and I'm free to make whatever changes I want but I'm trying to understand the logic. Is it set up this way because it's faster to use two different fingers for two different keys rather than selecting the same key twice with one finger? It seems a little convoluted and counter intuitive to do it that way.

2) In JaKaTa's game start sequence video, he sets up his location hot keys for his main, nat, third, and fourth right away but isn't that impossible with layered hot keys? I need to have selected a building at my targeted location to use alt+key or I'll just end up at my main nexus right? Was this something that was changed after the video? Do I just wait until I expand there and build my Nexus before setting a location hot key?

I was going to ask about the army control groups but Jak just clarified that a few posts up so thanks, Jak (and the rest of the team), for all the work you've put into this.
fengshaun
Profile Joined April 2012
149 Posts
March 14 2013 19:30 GMT
#2776
@madnessman: I have no experience with PRM, but I can answer your second question.

When you have clicked on your main Nexus at the beginning, press Alt+main CG (whatever key it may be), then while you are still holding Alt, click on the minimap to go to your nat and press your natural CG (remember, you don't lift your finger from Alt yet). Continue to set your third and forth while holding down Alt.

so, your key sequence will be Alt + main CG > click on minimap > nat CG > click > third CG > click > forth CG (all while holding down Alt).
EvilSource
Profile Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10 Posts
March 14 2013 20:48 GMT
#2777
@fengshaun

Yes right handed the Right WIN key is easier to reach then ALT... I'm working on a driver that switches them however there are paid tools that do it easily but don't want to spend so have to write it from scratch.

I know the win key cant be accessed from SCII however you can make a new keymap (select able in windows language) which has the ALT and WIN keys switched. And threes nothing stopping any manufacturer from making a keyboard that has the keys switched and the driver that came with it would do exactly what I'm suggesting.
Tezkat
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada72 Posts
March 14 2013 22:30 GMT
#2778
Ah... Thank you so much for tracking down those HotS hotkey entries, Sixtus. I wish I'd had those on my first Brutal runthrough. (I don't actually use TheCore, as it's very incompatible with my ergo keyboard, but my custom setup is heavily based on TheCore's design principles.)

Out of curiosity, how did you find those? I scoured the campaign data files for hints on what the hokeys might use, but I must have been looking in the wrong places. I had few correct guesses (like AutomatedExtractor/Drone, which mirrored the AutomatedRefinery/SCV entry from WoL) and many, many failed tries. (Seriously... why do they use "HotSRaptor" for ling abilities and AI but "MorphToRaptor" for larva?)
EvilSource
Profile Joined March 2013
United Kingdom10 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-15 00:24:19
March 14 2013 23:45 GMT
#2779
I managed it , I now have a keyboard layout called UK - RALT, switch to it and my right alt and windows keys are switched arround used http://www.kbdedit.com/ to create the layout and works just like selecting any other language
SixtusTheFifth
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
New Zealand170 Posts
March 15 2013 00:32 GMT
#2780
On March 15 2013 07:30 Tezkat wrote:
Ah... Thank you so much for tracking down those HotS hotkey entries, Sixtus. I wish I'd had those on my first Brutal runthrough. (I don't actually use TheCore, as it's very incompatible with my ergo keyboard, but my custom setup is heavily based on TheCore's design principles.)

Out of curiosity, how did you find those? I scoured the campaign data files for hints on what the hokeys might use, but I must have been looking in the wrong places. I had few correct guesses (like AutomatedExtractor/Drone, which mirrored the AutomatedRefinery/SCV entry from WoL) and many, many failed tries. (Seriously... why do they use "HotSRaptor" for ling abilities and AI but "MorphToRaptor" for larva?)


Go to the Data Module and start with the unit ID and the button ID (not the ability ID, although sometimes they are the same). So for the first ones I did I searched for Kerrigan, found 8 different versions of her, went through all the buttons attached to each, found their IDs, and entered them in the form
buttonID/unitID=

There are some nasty ones where the button isn't attached to the unit, but as long as you can find the IDs of each then it works, it just takes longer to find.
Prev 1 137 138 139 140 141 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Free 1336
BeSt 312
Soulkey 217
Soma 194
sorry 128
Mind 73
Bale 26
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
soO 15
ZergMaN 14
[ Show more ]
ZerO 1
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm198
League of Legends
JimRising 604
Counter-Strike
edward185
Other Games
summit1g9039
Coldzera 687
WinterStarcraft681
C9.Mang0259
Sick219
ZerO(Twitch)0
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick699
BasetradeTV228
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2200
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
2h 2m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
4h 2m
AI Arena Tournament
9h 2m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
11h 2m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 2h
Patches Events
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 11h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.