• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:09
CEST 15:09
KST 22:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War625.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8256 users

[G] TheCore - Advanced Keyboard Layout - Page 142

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 140 141 142 143 144 432 Next
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
March 17 2013 03:08 GMT
#2821
I don't really like moving chat to tab for all right-handed layouts. I'm not going to use Enter for anything else, and Enter feels pretty natural, and it also lets me press Chat before shifting my hands. Unless someone has a specific use for Enter, I don't see what the point of the change is, except to make TheCore more confusing for first time users.
Wildcard185
Profile Joined January 2013
2 Posts
March 17 2013 03:18 GMT
#2822
I just came back to playing SC2 after a hiatus of about a month or so (gasp). I was still using TheCore 3.3 - or something around there - on the HotS beta (so yes, there were a lot of unassigned hotkeys). After picking up my copy of HotS, I was pretty pissed with the changes to TheCore. I thought it was perfect the way it was. I was getting angry that I had to change anything about my playing. I thought the new hotkey assignments didn't make any sense. But after playing with it for a while, I can say that it is MUCH better.

You've successfully designed a system of hotkeys that's a million times better than the default.

Thank you guys for never letting me down.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-17 04:23:22
March 17 2013 04:19 GMT
#2823
@ JDub

I agree. I think it's great only if we can find a good use for it. The only cool thing I can think of is making anything on = become on enter, although I do not know the value of enter since its not on the doc. Other than that, it's probably better than some of the far away buttons like G and Y, and if nothing else it can be used for something like ally resources or menu.

Without a use I agree it's confusing and unnecessary. I think we can find something though. I want to say that I think the argument "it gets it out of the way so you don't press it by accident" is a bad one, though. This is because making chat different neither changes the probability of pressing the enter button by mistake, nor does it change the fact that any button can be pressed accidenty anyways.

What races/layouts do you play? Did you make any personal modifications?
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
March 17 2013 06:33 GMT
#2824
I play all races (main Zerg) using RRM, with no personal modifications (I don't use the suggested CGs, but I don't modify any hotkeys). Personally I don't think Enter is an easy to press key from the medium resting position, I think it's harder than G, Y, and =. At least for me, it requires a lot more hand movement than pressing any of those keys. As in, if I bring my index finger to Enter, I have to rotate my hand awkwardly and it's a major major stretch to keep my other 3 fingers on J,I,O. Pressing G,Y, or = it's very easy for me to keep my other 3 fingers on their respective home keys.
phos4
Profile Joined October 2009
Germany226 Posts
March 17 2013 10:28 GMT
#2825
how about using the thumb?
Cantankerous
Profile Joined May 2010
114 Posts
March 17 2013 12:25 GMT
#2826
Skydrive seems to be acting up - does anyone have a mirror for the download link?
UnseenAlchemist
Profile Joined March 2013
8 Posts
March 17 2013 13:29 GMT
#2827
When I download the layout, it just appears as a .txt file rather than a .SC2Hotkeys file. Am I doing something wrong? Or is anyone else having this problem.
I have no idea what is going on
Hancho
Profile Joined July 2012
Germany89 Posts
March 17 2013 14:06 GMT
#2828
On March 17 2013 22:29 UnseenAlchemist wrote:
When I download the layout, it just appears as a .txt file rather than a .SC2Hotkeys file. Am I doing something wrong? Or is anyone else having this problem.

yes if i download from github
you can simple change .txt in .SC2Hotkeys
UnseenAlchemist
Profile Joined March 2013
8 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-17 14:56:59
March 17 2013 14:39 GMT
#2829
On March 17 2013 23:06 Hancho wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 17 2013 22:29 UnseenAlchemist wrote:
When I download the layout, it just appears as a .txt file rather than a .SC2Hotkeys file. Am I doing something wrong? Or is anyone else having this problem.

yes if i download from github
you can simple change .txt in .SC2Hotkeys


Sorry I don't quite get you. Should I download from github then? If not how do I change from .txt to .SC2Hotkeys. SOrry if this is a dumb question.

Edit: Nevermind, I fixed it. If anyone else has this problem, you need to make the file extension visible under folder options. Then just delete the .txt after the hotkey file and type.SC2Hotkeys, if it's not already at the end of the name.
I have no idea what is going on
Rankith
Profile Joined August 2010
United States78 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-17 18:24:05
March 17 2013 18:22 GMT
#2830
How come period (.) isn't used? (at least in RRMM). It seems easier to hit the N to me.

Also, any data on mouse button uses (4 and 5) over more keyboards. Ive always used m5 for nexus/hatch/command and m4 for production. But it seems like it might actually be harder to be microing, hit m4 and queue and get back to microing for example.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
March 17 2013 18:45 GMT
#2831
@ Rankith. Thanks for the questions. N is a "4" and . is a "7" according to the development document. It is therefore "objectively" better. As for how it feels for yourself, perhaps your hand is smaller than "medium" or you aren't tilting your keyboard enough. For me, N is very comfortable after getting used to the difference between M and N.

As for the mouse, foxy and Jak are in dispute on it. Foxy swears by it and Jak prefers no mouse buttons. Personally I feel that the keyboard is more precise and easier. That being said, for Zerg, having upgrades on the mouse is great for me, and I recently changed to ZRMM. We have no data really, so it's up to you. Hope this helps a bit.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
madnessman
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States1581 Posts
March 17 2013 19:14 GMT
#2832
If anybody is thinking about making the jump, do it. It's been a couple of days since I first changed and I've mainly been practicing against AIs. My APM pre-switch was around 250ish but is now 140 and climbing with every game. I feel like I'm much more efficient than before and I'm using camera hot keys much more effectively now. Learning a new hot key set up felt terrible and I would actually be struggling against hard AIs when I first started because I was so slow but I'm really improving every game and I think that I'll be up to pre-switch levels by the end of the week. A big thanks to everyone who worked on this.
Rankith
Profile Joined August 2010
United States78 Posts
March 17 2013 19:15 GMT
#2833
Ok thanks, Ill try tilting my keyboard more for the N thing. The problem I run into is that I cant hit N or M accurately and end up with wrong building at times ><.

How were the "difficulty" statistics made?

For the mouse, I definately then no mouse buttons is better, or at least if you do, not high priority things.
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
March 17 2013 19:17 GMT
#2834
Check the OP and the development doc. I don't remember where the info is ATM but I know Jak has it somewhere.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Zebansis
Profile Joined March 2013
United States6 Posts
March 17 2013 19:46 GMT
#2835
Hi all!

Just started playing SC2 again, bought it when it first came out but didnt really get into it.... I had fond memories of the campaigns back in the SC era of the late 90's, but it didnt stick 2 years ago.

Fast forward to HoTS, its been fun! Played through most of the campaign, 20/24 or something like that, I could be wrong, but I was looking for ways to improve and came across Team Liquid and a few other resources on YouTube.

In trying to get better, I also came across this and the staircase. Had to get rid of a keyboard to start using this, but its been great! I am using the core in conjunction with going through the staircase now. Though I made a concerned look and said WTF at first, using the pinky has been both interesting and Great!

Prior to finding this, I would play the AI, but was getting my but kicked by the Hard AI. Now exclusively playing Terran, and only doing Marines, allowed me to finally beat the Hard AI easily, and even the Harder a few times. I found myself needing to create different units to be able to win, which coincidentally, was just about the time that I needed to move up to Level 3 of the Staircase! Marines and Marauders were enough, then I needed to upgrade to lvl 1 weapons and armor, and so on. Always keeping to a minimalist build.

On Ladder play, I am still bronze, but have moved up to 6th position in my bronze league after one full day using the core and the Staircase principles. I am finding that I need to protect my workers and base with a missile Turret or two depending on the player. That kind of harassment has been coming more and more. According to GGtracker, my avg. SQ is that of a high silver now, though I have had some moments of brilliance and hit Master on a few games!

I have not done anything with Camera views yet... Its a project i want to work on later today, I notice that I really need it now and mousing around doesn't work as well... Just some growing pains

Onward and upward!


So a <<<<< HUGE Thank You >>>>> to JakAtak and the rest of the contributors!
Your hard work is allowing me to see success in the game.


The Main thing that's been hard to keep track of is where my hands are on the keyboard. I was looking for something that I could use to let my fingers know where they were on the keyboard, without looking.

The best solution i found, and I have yet to test it, is some Clear Nail Polish. Its actually drying right now, so I have yet to play a game, but supposedly it works really well and its only downfall is that you have to replace it every month or two depending on use. For something that will be a temporary mod to a keyboard thats fine with me!

Again, Thank You!
Ninjury_J
Profile Joined August 2012
Canada408 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-17 19:59:03
March 17 2013 19:54 GMT
#2836
Hi Zebansis, glad you are enjoying TheCore. Jak and I both use textured keycaps from WASD. They fit on mechanical keyboards. Otherwise, there are raised stickers that you can buy that accomplish the same goal. Also, you can use the F, J, or numpad 5 key to get some other "raised" buttons.
“The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting."- Sun Tzu
Zebansis
Profile Joined March 2013
United States6 Posts
March 17 2013 21:26 GMT
#2837
The clear nail polish worked pretty well, though I did need to make a small scratch in it to get it to raise up enough.
Will see how it goes, its a little rough of an edge, though I doubt I am going to get blisters on my finger tips

I looked into doing the mods you talked about where you swap out the other keys.... I don't want to change the visual layout, though I can type fairly well, I like to able to look down and readjust my hands at times. Fairly well certainly isnt perfect, and the drill of getting back into proper typing position is not something I have ever really stressed.

I looked to see if you could just buy the keys, but they are mechanical in nature and dont seem to be available anyway.
I did break out my old gaming keyboard, which i initially put away, and it seem to work well with TheCore, its backlite too soo.... My only consideration is that its a Merc Stealth. Seemed like a good idea at the time. The keys off to the left, well, they just kinda sit there with the core.

Morsk
Profile Joined January 2013
United States16 Posts
March 18 2013 00:08 GMT
#2838
There are tactile stickers you can put on keyboards, as an alternative to nail polish. I got some called "loc dots" on Amazon. Several companies sell them. They're made to help blind people operate appliances, but they're great on keyboards too. They seem to run $6 for a pack of 6, but different sellers break down the product & shipping costs differently.
Tzuborg
Profile Joined April 2011
Norway171 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-18 00:41:52
March 18 2013 00:22 GMT
#2839
Just started playing again after like 6 months and haven't been following this thread since around August. Is there any significant changes I should know about?

Edit: I see you've set recall location to "shift+key"; won't that take you back to base when e.g. queuing up siege mode?
JDub
Profile Joined December 2010
United States976 Posts
March 18 2013 00:57 GMT
#2840
On March 18 2013 09:22 Tzuborg wrote:
Just started playing again after like 6 months and haven't been following this thread since around August. Is there any significant changes I should know about?

Edit: I see you've set recall location to "shift+key"; won't that take you back to base when e.g. queuing up siege mode?

The camera locations no longer share keys with ability hotkeys, only control group hotkeys. So there is no conflict between shift-queuing abilities and going to camera locations.
Prev 1 140 141 142 143 144 432 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 601
Railgan 60
MindelVK 24
Codebar 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 68375
Calm 10808
Rain 2418
Bisu 2226
FanTaSy 800
Stork 671
Rush 506
soO 481
Soma 247
Snow 218
[ Show more ]
firebathero 213
Last 177
Light 109
Mind 95
hero 88
Pusan 86
Sea.KH 71
Sharp 56
Free 42
ToSsGirL 41
Trap 39
Bale 36
Mong 31
Hm[arnc] 29
Aegong 22
zelot 19
Sexy 16
HiyA 15
yabsab 15
Noble 14
Sacsri 12
Shine 12
IntoTheRainbow 9
scan(afreeca) 7
Rock 5
Terrorterran 5
Icarus 4
Dota 2
Gorgc8449
Dendi889
Counter-Strike
fl0m2969
byalli807
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King76
Other Games
gofns38078
singsing2300
B2W.Neo635
Liquid`RaSZi338
Pyrionflax241
Beastyqt135
Hui .113
Happy57
Trikslyr45
Chillindude17
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 104
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP39
• Response 7
• Dystopia_ 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV493
League of Legends
• Jankos2960
• Nemesis2920
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1355
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
1h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 51m
BSL Open Qualifier
5h 51m
OSC
9h 51m
Replay Cast
9h 51m
OSC
22h 51m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 21h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
4 days
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.