• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:00
CEST 22:00
KST 05:00
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon110
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? BW General Discussion [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8204 users

[G] TvP Pure Air - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22 23 Next All
Dragt
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany73 Posts
November 09 2011 16:29 GMT
#61
Great build, but im sad that you revealed it xD.
I´m playing air vs protoss for a couple of month now (bit more marine and helion heavy then u do) and have to say its a lot of fun and successful (85-90% winrating).
Your build seems more elaborate then mine and i will definitly have a very close look at it.
*Thumps up*
HaXXspetten
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Sweden15718 Posts
November 09 2011 16:32 GMT
#62
Now that's detailed
Pulimuli
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Sweden2766 Posts
November 09 2011 16:34 GMT
#63
NTT used this in the beta and early in the game about a year ago. He pretty much went pure air and planetary fortresses every TvP and trashed players like White-Ra and Socke with it
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 16:40:05
November 09 2011 16:39 GMT
#64
On November 10 2011 01:34 Pulimuli wrote:
NTT used this in the beta and early in the game about a year ago. He pretty much went pure air and planetary fortresses every TvP and trashed players like White-Ra and Socke with it


Wow really? xD I just searched him up on liquipedia, it seems he's retired now?


On November 10 2011 01:29 Dragt wrote:
Great build, but im sad that you revealed it xD.
I´m playing air vs protoss for a couple of month now (bit more marine and helion heavy then u do) and have to say its a lot of fun and successful (85-90% winrating).
Your build seems more elaborate then mine and i will definitly have a very close look at it.
*Thumps up*


I'm a bit sad too. But the BO I use looks just like a 111 or 111 all-in or banshee opening or 2 port xD So they can't really tell what I'm up to anyways.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
zakmaa
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada525 Posts
November 09 2011 16:50 GMT
#65
Wow this is a super neat playstyle, kinda makes me wish I played Terran haha. I'd thought about this but never more than just a quick idle thought, so cool to see someone actually put together a really well-written detailed guide about it
CreativeAlias
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States49 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 16:57:01
November 09 2011 16:55 GMT
#66
This seems to rely heavily on Protoss not scouting you at all...for example, 1gate expo -> 3gate robo means I can poke early enough to see that you are teching (only a handful of marines at the ramp), make a few observers because I don't need immortals right away and it never hurts to spot potential drops/expansions/pokes/whatever, then expanding once I see your PF at your natural. I now have 3 bases, and I can go for a gateway-heavy all-in if you are greedy, and if you are as defensive as you have to be, I can expand yet again. What do you do against a passive/greedy style like this?

EDIT: not PF, CC. I can take my 3rd once I see the CC and my 4th once I see the PF. My bad.
"Once upon a time, 1-A. Good night little boy."--Day[9]
Eifer
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States138 Posts
November 09 2011 17:29 GMT
#67
Please read my PM. Thanks.
Perfect
Profile Joined August 2010
United States322 Posts
November 09 2011 18:08 GMT
#68
I have done some pure sky terrans just like this, its a really fun way to play the game.
jrdn
Profile Joined September 2010
United States132 Posts
November 09 2011 19:09 GMT
#69
2-0 so far with your build (high diamond). First game he must have had a real quick scout as he started going heavy phoenix off of 2 base. Was able to out expand and out produce vikings. Second game opponent went heavy robo into late-ish phoenix production. Was able to snipe off his third before it morphed in 3 times. PF at natural held the counter attack with ease. Was able to get up to 5 base to his 2.5 then I won the main engage...gg.


Couple notes from my experience:

I'm having trouble with the constant harass portion of the build. Usually I can do some damage with my first 2 banshees, but after that I get shut down pretty hard. Instead I've been forming little banshee squads (~5-7) to snipe off any attempts at expanding. Seems to be working so far.

Many toss are rage-a-holics.

Thanks for the awesome guide. Will keep you updated.
“The sole purpose of an opening is to achieve a playable midgame”
Xxazn4lyfe51xX
Profile Joined October 2010
United States976 Posts
November 09 2011 19:09 GMT
#70
This is an extraordinarily detailed guide o.O Thanks for the enlightenment, it was a great read! I'll have to give it a go sometime... and watch for it when I play toss =p
rsvp
Profile Blog Joined January 2006
United States2266 Posts
November 09 2011 19:17 GMT
#71
This is one of the best guides I've seen. Good job, and thanks! I've definitely lost to this before and it'll kill any protoss who doesn't expect it and/or tries to play standard.
itkovian
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States1763 Posts
November 09 2011 19:38 GMT
#72
Wow really detailed guide, quite a read. gj
I've been getting really frustrated with TvP. If it gets much worse I'll consider trying this out for a while, though it might take quite a while to learn since it seems like a completely different play style.
=)=
kusu
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden440 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 20:48:23
November 09 2011 20:47 GMT
#73
Wow thanks so much <3! definitely gonna try this out. I'll come back and report !

I'd also like to note that if you're gonna do gas first and you see him Fast Expanding, you can probably do Debo's marine-hellion shit!

Expa bör man annars dör man! A game withouth me, is a game not worth winning!
freetgy
Profile Joined November 2010
1720 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 21:01:08
November 09 2011 20:57 GMT
#74
well Sky Terran is viable since ages and the most scary composition of T imho, because there isn't much you can do against it as P since it pins you down in your bases and observer are so fragile.

despite many saying that bio is the only option in PvT; it is not !!!. every tech path of terran is viable if executed well enough to cover some early game weaknesses.
.
you can even transition into full mech play of a Sky opening on certain maps.
rebuffering
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2436 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-09 21:04:42
November 09 2011 21:03 GMT
#75
On November 09 2011 23:31 Reason.SC2 wrote:
Another Terran gimmick to deal with on the ladder.. thanks.

Why is it that so many T's enjoy doing strats that get roflstomped if scouted and lead to a high percentage of auto-wins if not scouted? So not the right approach....


How bout this, Marauders. nuff said, do you really think going maraduer only is fun? its not, not at all, and it can die just easily as this strat, timing pushes, forcefields, storms/colossus, im just tired of going marauders, and only marauders, while mixing in viking and/or ghosts. Yes, its the norm to go for marauders, but christ it is not fullfilling in any way, this style requires way more micro and thought to pull of properly. And as i mentioned before, mech is damn awful vs toss, so frankly, its either marauders, or something like this strat. ofc, this is all my opinion, but seriously, ive been trying mech vs toss for awhile, and it just doesnt work well.
http://www.twitch.tv/rebufferingg
flyguy
Profile Joined October 2010
United States45 Posts
November 09 2011 21:09 GMT
#76
My terran friend has done this to me very often. If you go ground as toss vs. this you're dead. It's so easy for vikings to snipe the obs. and have the banshees clear everything up. The only real option is to go pure air as well. Start with pheonix, transition to some carriers and then void rays for the BC's. Expand quick and use a lot of cannons. Still very difficult to deal with even using pure air though.
BushidoSnipr
Profile Joined November 2010
United States910 Posts
November 10 2011 01:11 GMT
#77
Amazing and detailed guide, I hope more people utilize this
RoboBob
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States798 Posts
November 10 2011 01:11 GMT
#78
Very interesting guide. Funnily enough, when I started playing SC2 I did something very similar all the time vs Protoss. But I stopped because although I was winning alot, the games took FOREVER to finish because they always went 3+ bases. Also because it required much more multitasking than a-moving bio balls. =)

My build wasn't nearly as refined as yours. I never transitioned to BC or built up a Raven ball. Instead I went double armory air ups. But all the core elements were there. 1-1-1 cloak opening into PF natural into PF hidden third into mass starlabs. Pure Viking/Banshee/Raven force, no Rax units, just 1 or 2 Hellion scouts.

From what I remember, the most deadly counter to this build is an early Immortal push. If you look at the replay titled "TvP Air - 3 Hidden Bases HSM", you can definitely see the weakness of this build. The platinum player could've roflstomped the natural+main with the 2 base Immortal+Gateway army easily, if he decided to engage. Instead he just turned around and went home for some unknown reason. I dunno, maybe he didn't consider that there could be a hidden third.

My biggest concern about this build is that because it opens 1-1-1 chances are pretty good the P is going to make Immortals, expecting the 1-1-1 allin. Which kinda hard counters the PF natural. But the build is still worth looking at, especially on big maps where Immortals have a long way to waddle.

Thumbs up!
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 01:25:59
November 10 2011 01:14 GMT
#79
On November 10 2011 01:55 CreativeAlias wrote:
This seems to rely heavily on Protoss not scouting you at all...for example, 1gate expo -> 3gate robo means I can poke early enough to see that you are teching (only a handful of marines at the ramp), make a few observers because I don't need immortals right away and it never hurts to spot potential drops/expansions/pokes/whatever, then expanding once I see your PF at your natural. I now have 3 bases, and I can go for a gateway-heavy all-in if you are greedy, and if you are as defensive as you have to be, I can expand yet again. What do you do against a passive/greedy style like this?

EDIT: not PF, CC. I can take my 3rd once I see the CC and my 4th once I see the PF. My bad.


I'm not quite sure, but can you really be sure I'm not just 1-1-1 all-ining and take a third like that? Maybe I'll find someone test this out cus I haven't fought anyone who took a fast third in response.


On November 10 2011 04:09 jrdn wrote:
2-0 so far with your build (high diamond). First game he must have had a real quick scout as he started going heavy phoenix off of 2 base. Was able to out expand and out produce vikings. Second game opponent went heavy robo into late-ish phoenix production. Was able to snipe off his third before it morphed in 3 times. PF at natural held the counter attack with ease. Was able to get up to 5 base to his 2.5 then I won the main engage...gg.


Couple notes from my experience:

I'm having trouble with the constant harass portion of the build. Usually I can do some damage with my first 2 banshees, but after that I get shut down pretty hard. Instead I've been forming little banshee squads (~5-7) to snipe off any attempts at expanding. Seems to be working so far.

Many toss are rage-a-holics.

Thanks for the awesome guide. Will keep you updated.


I'll expand on the harassing part. But there are times (like in all my replays) where I do feel "shut down" just for a bit, where he has a lot of stalkers and it is hard to harass. Even though I could be active with my units, instead I just prefer to stay passive and get a slightly larger force (To make sure I can snipe Obs without losing too much, etc.). So don't be afraid to just sit in your base a while and resume harassing later. If you stop for a while he might get confused and think you're not doing pure air or something.

And yeah a lot of them rage One of them raged and said he was tired of 1-1-1 all-in shit, and I responded "lol, this isn't 1-1-1 all-in it's pure air style)"

On November 10 2011 05:47 kusu wrote:
Wow thanks so much <3! definitely gonna try this out. I'll come back and report !

I'd also like to note that if you're gonna do gas first and you see him Fast Expanding, you can probably do Debo's marine-hellion shit!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ZWg-9gsnA


I've heard about Debo and thought he was a really cool player. Now I see this video and I'm like, haha so this is Debo? That is an awesome opening lol! Thanks for sharing.

On November 10 2011 10:11 RoboBob wrote:
Very interesting guide. Funnily enough, when I started playing SC2 I did something very similar all the time vs Protoss. But I stopped because although I was winning alot, the games took FOREVER to finish because they always went 3+ bases. Also because it required much more multitasking than a-moving bio balls. =)

My build wasn't nearly as refined as yours. I never transitioned to BC or built up a Raven ball. Instead I went double armory air ups. But all the core elements were there. 1-1-1 cloak opening into PF natural into PF hidden third into mass starlabs. Pure Viking/Banshee/Raven force, no Rax units, just 1 or 2 Hellion scouts.

From what I remember, the most deadly counter to this build is an early Immortal push. If you look at the replay titled "TvP Air - 3 Hidden Bases HSM", you can definitely see the weakness of this build. The platinum player could've roflstomped the natural+main with the 2 base Immortal+Gateway army easily, if he decided to engage. Instead he just turned around and went home for some unknown reason. I dunno, maybe he didn't consider that there could be a hidden third.

My biggest concern about this build is that because it opens 1-1-1 chances are pretty good the P is going to make Immortals, expecting the 1-1-1 allin. Which kinda hard counters the PF natural. But the build is still worth looking at, especially on big maps where Immortals have a long way to waddle.

Thumbs up!


Thanks for sharing! Well first I want to clarify, it was unclear but the player was mid masters, but my platinum friend player was watching the Protoss' stream, not playing as the Protoss.

I don't think an early Immortal push will do the trick. If you have enough I don't think you possibly can have enough stalkers to deal with the banshees I have. But I'll take a look at it sometime.

Also yeah from his vision it definitely looked like he didn't know or consider I had a third since he pulled back without even poking at the normal third position (which I took as my fourth IIRC). He sees it later and then gets a fourth, but really i already have went up to 6 base xD
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Douillos
Profile Joined May 2010
France3195 Posts
November 10 2011 01:36 GMT
#80
It is such a pleasure to see such a great write up. Man, mass kudos for you <3
Look a giraffe! Look a fist!!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 21 22 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 557
UpATreeSC 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 869
Dewaltoss 123
firebathero 82
Zeus 65
910 40
Trap 38
Bale 25
NaDa 24
ToSsGirL 20
Shine 15
Dota 2
Gorgc6653
420jenkins268
monkeys_forever72
Counter-Strike
edward281
Super Smash Bros
ArmadaUGS148
Heroes of the Storm
Liquid`Hasu2199
Other Games
summit1g5603
Grubby2796
Beastyqt652
B2W.Neo642
shahzam442
byalli417
C9.Mang0161
TKL 150
KnowMe141
ToD94
Railgan17
Chillindude13
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV254
BasetradeTV238
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 14
• Adnapsc2 14
• Reevou 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki30
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Shiphtur302
• WagamamaTV268
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
4h
Kung Fu Cup
15h
Stellar Fest
17h
The PondCast
1d 14h
OSC
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.