• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:15
CEST 17:15
KST 00:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9916 users

[G] TvP Pure Air - Page 22

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 Next All
LeGeNDz
Profile Joined November 2010
60 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 01:56:21
March 23 2012 01:53 GMT
#421
Okay people say BC's suck but everyone needs to remember BC's are a tier3 unit and like other tier3 units such as colossus and ultras they need certain support units to survive. Collosus alone are completely weak and vulnerable to say a group of roach's running up and sniping them so protoss would needs their stalker/sentry army to force field the roachs back; everything has a synergistic effect in this game and ultras need zerglings for cannon fodder and fungal so units can't kite the ultras I hope this makes the picture more clear how BC's need the other units such as ravens and banshees to function properly in an army composition. So BC's alone need certain support units such as Ravens with their PDD's and banshees. I think PDD is VITAL for Sky Terran to work. PDD are the way terrans can set up a positional advantage similar in the way siege tanks set up positional advantages you don't want to engage a line of siege tanks just like protoss doesn't want to engage with their stalkers into a banshee/raven/viking ball when the terran can throw down 5-6 PDD's making stalkers/phoenix completely useless. Usually that will be the first engagement before Protoss begins to go toward HT tech. From there its about Terran spreading their units out to avoid storms and maybe getting ghosts like QXC did. Anyways I think Sky Terran is very STRONG but terrans need to figure out safe effective ways to transition into this style.
IntoTheBush
Profile Joined July 2010
United States552 Posts
March 23 2012 02:08 GMT
#422
On March 23 2012 10:53 LeGeNDz wrote:
Okay people say BC's suck but everyone needs to remember BC's are a tier3 unit and like other tier3 units such as colossus and ultras they need certain support units to survive. Collosus alone are completely weak and vulnerable to say a group of roach's running up and sniping them so protoss would needs their stalker/sentry army to force field the roachs back; everything has a synergistic effect in this game and ultras need zerglings for cannon fodder and fungal so units can't kite the ultras I hope this makes the picture more clear how BC's need the other units such as ravens and banshees to function properly in an army composition. So BC's alone need certain support units such as Ravens with their PDD's and banshees. I think PDD is VITAL for Sky Terran to work. PDD are the way terrans can set up a positional advantage similar in the way siege tanks set up positional advantages you don't want to engage a line of siege tanks just like protoss doesn't want to engage with their stalkers into a banshee/raven/viking ball when the terran can throw down 5-6 PDD's making stalkers/phoenix completely useless. Usually that will be the first engagement before Protoss begins to go toward HT tech. From there its about Terran spreading their units out to avoid storms and maybe getting ghosts like QXC did. Anyways I think Sky Terran is very STRONG but terrans need to figure out safe effective ways to transition into this style.

Why use storm when they could use feedback and do a lot more damage? Also Terran's air units are VERY gas heavy compared to Z/P. On top of that BCs are slow as hell so that leaves them vulnerable often. I could see a Terran switching the tech path in the late game to mass air if they are on the right amount of bases. There are just too many things that Z/P can produce that will give a pure Air Army a lot of trouble. PDD is good, but chances are by this time youre in the late game and your opponent will be able to just pull back when you put up your PDD. You can't just keep pushing and putting down PDDs unless u have a lot of Ravens, and then you have to worry about not letting them Feedback your Ravens. Also what is going to stop them from just abusing the speed of BCs? They could easily warp in units at a base and then u have to wait for ur clunky slow BCs to get there to save the day and most likely by the time they get there the damage has already been enough. Pure air just doesn't sound viable as an early-mid game strategy. I could see it maybe working in the late game when you have the bases to support it, but then again theyre already gonna have all the tech they need to stop it... my 2 cents
LeGeNDz
Profile Joined November 2010
60 Posts
March 23 2012 03:23 GMT
#423
On March 23 2012 11:08 IntoTheBush wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 23 2012 10:53 LeGeNDz wrote:
Okay people say BC's suck but everyone needs to remember BC's are a tier3 unit and like other tier3 units such as colossus and ultras they need certain support units to survive. Collosus alone are completely weak and vulnerable to say a group of roach's running up and sniping them so protoss would needs their stalker/sentry army to force field the roachs back; everything has a synergistic effect in this game and ultras need zerglings for cannon fodder and fungal so units can't kite the ultras I hope this makes the picture more clear how BC's need the other units such as ravens and banshees to function properly in an army composition. So BC's alone need certain support units such as Ravens with their PDD's and banshees. I think PDD is VITAL for Sky Terran to work. PDD are the way terrans can set up a positional advantage similar in the way siege tanks set up positional advantages you don't want to engage a line of siege tanks just like protoss doesn't want to engage with their stalkers into a banshee/raven/viking ball when the terran can throw down 5-6 PDD's making stalkers/phoenix completely useless. Usually that will be the first engagement before Protoss begins to go toward HT tech. From there its about Terran spreading their units out to avoid storms and maybe getting ghosts like QXC did. Anyways I think Sky Terran is very STRONG but terrans need to figure out safe effective ways to transition into this style.

Why use storm when they could use feedback and do a lot more damage? Also Terran's air units are VERY gas heavy compared to Z/P. On top of that BCs are slow as hell so that leaves them vulnerable often. I could see a Terran switching the tech path in the late game to mass air if they are on the right amount of bases. There are just too many things that Z/P can produce that will give a pure Air Army a lot of trouble. PDD is good, but chances are by this time youre in the late game and your opponent will be able to just pull back when you put up your PDD. You can't just keep pushing and putting down PDDs unless u have a lot of Ravens, and then you have to worry about not letting them Feedback your Ravens. Also what is going to stop them from just abusing the speed of BCs? They could easily warp in units at a base and then u have to wait for ur clunky slow BCs to get there to save the day and most likely by the time they get there the damage has already been enough. Pure air just doesn't sound viable as an early-mid game strategy. I could see it maybe working in the late game when you have the bases to support it, but then again theyre already gonna have all the tech they need to stop it... my 2 cents


Well the thing is you have to engage in the right spots with PDD. You're either using your PDD's at your base to defend or you need to use the mobility of your air (excluding BC's) to surprise attack the protoss base and set up your PDD's at their base. I'm not saying I know the Ins and Outs of all of the micro and tactics of this style as noone really does or has worked out these air builds but I can say that you definitely have to use your PDD's wisely. I mean Ofcourse Feedback can counter ravens etc but every build has something that counters it as it should but it doesn't mean there aren't ways around this. If you catch a protoss off guard and hit his base, then throw down a bunch of PDD's before he moves over move your ravens back to safety far away and let the cloaked bashees do damage is probably one possible way to deal with feedback.
nyccine
Profile Joined March 2012
United States12 Posts
March 23 2012 04:59 GMT
#424
On March 02 2012 02:01 Quotidian wrote:
Yeah, I found that phoenixes wrecks pretty much all mass air tvp builds. Anybody been trying air vs protoss post phoenix buff?


I don't really see Phoenix as the answer, for a few reasons:

One, I generally don't care. As much fun as Ravens are, their principle purpose - aside from spamming Seeker Missles at Stalkers - is to find Observers for the the Vikings/BCs to take down. If I have to, I'll gladly let the rest of my air get taken out if it means I get free shots with Banshees - if you've got enough Phoenixes to own Ravens + Vikings, I should have at least 6-8 Banshees on the field, minimum, and that's just going to shred your base with no detection up. How often does a Protoss player go straight for Phoenix anyway? It's amost always a tech switch, and unless you've already kept me on the ropes and on a low food count, you simply aren't going to outproduce my air in any event - and if you did, then I lost long before Phoenix hit the field.

Two, you generally can't force an air fight. This build already gets EBays and Turrets, and usually you want to squeeze in a bunker or two for good measure, so you're not going to get a lot of free shots at my workers to force me to defend.

Three, if we do have to duke it out in the air, I don't see how it's a flat-out win. This version of air typically has a healthy number of Ravens, which makes way too many PDD's for you to simply brush away. That, plus BC's supplementing Vikings, with the option of pulling SCV's to repair, means the field's a lot more level than you think.

I really find that the biggest problems with this build are a) very early aggression before the PF at nat can come online, b) mass Stalkers + good enough micro to keep the Observers up, and c) deathballs that focus on keeping the expo count low enough so that I choke. This build takes a lot of gas - and more importantly, time - to work, and I've lost a few where I just didn't have enough units in the early stages to do a lot of damage, which soon turned into me losing expos to mass Stalkers with enough left behind to keep me from reliably base trading.

Mass Phoenix really just tries to "win" a battle SkyTerran will do everything it can to avoid fighting, and if the Terran is good enough, can actually win.
SOB_Maj_Brian
Profile Blog Joined September 2008
United States522 Posts
March 23 2012 05:16 GMT
#425
I know this build would probably work against DTs, but I don't think it was mentioned in this guide (b/c proxy dt is my build of choice v T). I've noticed it does not usually work well versus 1-1-1 though, which this is very similar to. Also I think bunker at ramp is a tell, from my experience and it actually induces me to put a cannon in my mineral line b/c it is either hellion drop or banshee 90% of the time. Still this build sounds like a pain to play against, as I rather be the harrasser than the harassee (hence proxy dt is my build of choice).
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
March 23 2012 05:23 GMT
#426
I agree with nyccine and LeGeNDz

You need to think more about the strategic use of the units rather than just putting them into an imaginary sandbox of high templar vs ravens

You'll have ghosts to deal with the High Templar (I think i'm gonna request a name change of this thread to just "Air" since previously I thought with good splitting you could deal with HT but I think getting ghosts is definitely worth it, and it makes getting BCs more viable)

@IntoTheBush

You forget that you can stack all your air units, EMP once or twice, and you're good to go. Then suddenly all his HTs are quite useless, especially if you EMP his HTs. All that gas is wasted instead of being spent on stalker.

@nyccine

I've been trying something else now; the PF is unnecessary. What I do now is just get an OC and keep the protoss at bay and send out 1 SCV into a remote area where I can build another base. If I see he tries to counterattack on 2 base like 6 gate or such, I won't have a PF at home to defend, BUT with the third CC elsewhere (thanks to extra mules from OC at natural), in which I don't upgrade until the midgame, I can turn that into a PF. If he stays home and defends and doesn't do anything, then once I get 3 base running and such then I can turn that third into an OC as well. This way you have 3 base vs 2 base and will win a base trade, while not dying to a 2 base all-in from protoss.

With an OC at the natural, it looks less weird as well, and can look like a 2-2-2 push or such. Choosing an OC instead of a PF on maps with good nat chokes like Shakuras (probably the best map for air TvP) works really really well.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
Fencar
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States2694 Posts
March 23 2012 05:33 GMT
#427
On March 23 2012 14:23 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
I agree with nyccine and LeGeNDz

You need to think more about the strategic use of the units rather than just putting them into an imaginary sandbox of high templar vs ravens

You'll have ghosts to deal with the High Templar (I think i'm gonna request a name change of this thread to just "Air" since previously I thought with good splitting you could deal with HT but I think getting ghosts is definitely worth it, and it makes getting BCs more viable)

@IntoTheBush

You forget that you can stack all your air units, EMP once or twice, and you're good to go. Then suddenly all his HTs are quite useless, especially if you EMP his HTs. All that gas is wasted instead of being spent on stalker.

@nyccine

I've been trying something else now; the PF is unnecessary. What I do now is just get an OC and keep the protoss at bay and send out 1 SCV into a remote area where I can build another base. If I see he tries to counterattack on 2 base like 6 gate or such, I won't have a PF at home to defend, BUT with the third CC elsewhere (thanks to extra mules from OC at natural), in which I don't upgrade until the midgame, I can turn that into a PF. If he stays home and defends and doesn't do anything, then once I get 3 base running and such then I can turn that third into an OC as well. This way you have 3 base vs 2 base and will win a base trade, while not dying to a 2 base all-in from protoss.

With an OC at the natural, it looks less weird as well, and can look like a 2-2-2 push or such. Choosing an OC instead of a PF on maps with good nat chokes like Shakuras (probably the best map for air TvP) works really really well.

Yeah, you can just build an extra rax with the minerals and a couple more bunkers for defense. Reactor FE also works okay, too.

By the way, when are you going to update the OP?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 05:44:40
March 23 2012 05:43 GMT
#428
Hm I'm really busy for a couple more days, but I might update it soon with new build orders and such I've found that 1 rax gasless FE into double gas 1-1-1 (expand into cloak banshee, just like mech opener) works well.

On maps where the natural is wider or if you want to be more safe, you could get reactor barracks + CC in base while getting 1-1-1. That will hold off any kind of rush or 1 base all-in. Perhaps for this gas-heavy air build, in which you don't really need a reactor later, a 2 rax expand might work better. They can help make tech labs later on and wall off the nat. I think a 2 rax is better actually. You can get marines out faster and punish Protoss immediately if he goes Nexus first and if he goes 1 Gate Expand and is too greedy, you can still pressure him and possibly cancel his Nexus (Thanks Nada for his recent TvP tutorial video). You can also float the 2nd rax (proxied) to scout him out since SCV scouts aren't 100% reliable and scans can miss tech.

Anyway, with reactor barracks expand or 2 rax expand or even 1-1-1 cloak banshee opening, you can transition very well into all three terran styles; bio, mech, air.
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
MockHamill
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden1798 Posts
March 23 2012 07:20 GMT
#429
I think air is the future of TvP since it solves late game TvP without having the mobility problems of ground mech. That said have you tried to combine your airfleet with mass marauders? In my experience mass air is vunerable to mass stalkers untill you can get your banshe and bc count up. By going mass maruder while building up your airfleet you are less vunerable in the midgame. Plus marauder works great against stalkers even with a slight upgrade disadvantage due to to bonus damage and stim.
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 08:23:08
March 23 2012 08:20 GMT
#430
I will try that out I was thinking that too, just a few marauders can work really well since they have such high DPS vs Stalkers and don't die too easily to storm. I think the problem though is zealots. Perhaps marauder drops would be really effective though, like to take out cannons instead of spending more gas on Ravens for more PDD to take out cannons with banshees. Warping in zealots would mean a waste of warp time for stalkers.

I was also thinking about Hellions -- they are less food efficient by a small bit, but they don't do well when there are mass cannons defending probes. Marauders are good at taking out canons but aren't very good at killing probes. However, Hellions are very good vs Zealots and HTs and also, in large numbers, good vs Stalkers, unless if he blinks them apart to avoid splash. However, doing so would mean that you can abuse your air fleet's ability to stack up, making the stalkers unable to attack at once. Maybe with Hellions forcing many cannons, it would be worth it to make more Ravens for PDD just to take out the cannons and keep forcing protoss to remake them. Not sure.

I think both units have potential to be great support. Perhaps even both can be utilized often in the same game. I'll try them out more
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 08:37:25
March 23 2012 08:36 GMT
#431
On March 23 2012 17:20 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
I was also thinking about Hellions -- they are less food efficient by a small bit, but they don't do well when there are mass cannons defending probes. Marauders are good at taking out canons but aren't very good at killing probes. However, Hellions are very good vs Zealots and HTs and also, in large numbers, good vs Stalkers, unless if he blinks them apart to avoid splash. However, doing so would mean that you can abuse your air fleet's ability to stack up, making the stalkers unable to attack at once. Maybe with Hellions forcing many cannons, it would be worth it to make more Ravens for PDD just to take out the cannons and keep forcing protoss to remake them. Not sure.

maybe sometime in mid-game get a reactor or get blue flame eventually on the hellion, and then force more cannons, and then nuke it when they overmake cannons at a place while sending in hellions (or marauders) into another base and just generally be all over the place with hellions and banshees? :S

(idk I'm theorycrafting T_T)
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 09:07:52
March 23 2012 08:56 GMT
#432
I think it can definitely work, but will require lots of APM xD (or at least, has higher potential with higher APM)

Nukes sound really fun. I hope the next 2 days are over quickly for me. Then I can start experimenting more. I still haven't tried ghosts much at all yet, let alone nukes ;_;.

Actually I think with just ghosts + medivac + nukes, hellions and marauders may be unnecessary. Not useless, but unnecessary (and probably not the best way to spend apm).

Also Nada stressed that Protoss relies on upgrades a lot. I will try to get double armory up much faster and focus on sniping forges early on with 1-2 PDD. I'll try to find some timings or general things to look for. In the guide I think I was saying it might be better sometimes to go for other tech, but I think sniping Forges is best cus it's the most guaranteed damage, and it doesn't take too long to kill. Good thing forges got nerfed way back then in beta If you can keep denying upgrades, even if you sac a lot of units, you can eventually be 3-3 vs 0-0-0. Since Banshees do so much DPS, I think it's quite possible, especially on Shakuras. Pretty much all angles leading into their bases are open to air paths.

Edit: Oops, I mean if they put the cannons around the nexus, probably don't need Hellions. And they would have to put them around their nexus or else you could kill the probes :D. So nuke would stop mining + kill cannons, possibly kill some pylons/probes too.

It's fine if you're on a lower level. Not everyone is masters so it is still helpful to get feedback from lower leagues to know what parts work well and what parts don't
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-03-23 09:13:03
March 23 2012 09:04 GMT
#433
On March 23 2012 17:56 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
I think it can definitely work, but will require lots of APM xD (or at least, has higher potential with higher APM)

Nukes sound really fun. I hope the next 2 days are over quickly for me. Then I can start experimenting more. I still haven't tried ghosts much at all yet, let alone nukes ;_;.

Actually I think with just ghosts + medivac + nukes, hellions and marauders may be unnecessary. Not useless, but unnecessary (and probably not the best way to spend apm).

Also Nada stressed that Protoss relies on upgrades a lot. I will try to get double armory up much faster and focus on sniping forges early on with 1-2 PDD. I'll try to find some timings or general things to look for. In the guide I think I was saying it might be better sometimes to go for other tech, but I think sniping Forges is best cus it's the most guaranteed damage, and it doesn't take too long to kill. Good thing forges got nerfed way back then in beta If you can keep denying upgrades, even if you sac a lot of units, you can eventually be 3-3 vs 0-0-0. Since Banshees do so much DPS, I think it's quite possible, especially on Shakuras. Pretty much all angles leading into their bases are open to air paths.

I'm also starting to get into the game again too, even though I'm low level ;;

I'll be trying to test with your/this style though, so hopefully through my gameplay I'll think of more interesting stuff ^^'

also I just think hellions just so you keep the protoss on their toes, but idk /shrug

as for your edits...

Edit: Oops, I mean if they put the cannons around the nexus, probably don't need Hellions. And they would have to put them around their nexus or else you could kill the probes :D. So nuke would stop mining + kill cannons, possibly kill some pylons/probes too.

It's fine if you're on a lower level. Not everyone is masters so it is still helpful to get feedback from lower leagues to know what parts work well and what parts don't


Ah, I see.
Oh iirc if you do 3 nukes at one time at least on a CC and hatchery, it dies from the 3rd nuke (idk I was bored)
idk about nexus, but probably same *shrug*

as for lower level - I guess, I'm working up ^_~ training with my clan/community members that I helped create, which has some masters+ (and lower too, but yeah)

although I need to play through the opener a couple of times before I want to actually use it anywhere.. hmm..
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
Treehead
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
999 Posts
March 23 2012 15:55 GMT
#434
On March 23 2012 14:43 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
Hm I'm really busy for a couple more days, but I might update it soon with new build orders and such I've found that 1 rax gasless FE into double gas 1-1-1 (expand into cloak banshee, just like mech opener) works well.

On maps where the natural is wider or if you want to be more safe, you could get reactor barracks + CC in base while getting 1-1-1. That will hold off any kind of rush or 1 base all-in. Perhaps for this gas-heavy air build, in which you don't really need a reactor later, a 2 rax expand might work better. They can help make tech labs later on and wall off the nat. I think a 2 rax is better actually. You can get marines out faster and punish Protoss immediately if he goes Nexus first and if he goes 1 Gate Expand and is too greedy, you can still pressure him and possibly cancel his Nexus (Thanks Nada for his recent TvP tutorial video). You can also float the 2nd rax (proxied) to scout him out since SCV scouts aren't 100% reliable and scans can miss tech.

Anyway, with reactor barracks expand or 2 rax expand or even 1-1-1 cloak banshee opening, you can transition very well into all three terran styles; bio, mech, air.


Can't wait to see what you're doing with this. I was a big fan of Synystr's banshee build way back when, and it'll be fun if there's an even better way of doing it.
zhurai
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States5660 Posts
March 25 2012 20:06 GMT
#435
On March 23 2012 14:43 Yoshi Kirishima wrote:
Hm I'm really busy for a couple more days, but I might update it soon with new build orders and such I've found that 1 rax gasless FE into double gas 1-1-1 (expand into cloak banshee, just like mech opener) works well.

On maps where the natural is wider or if you want to be more safe, you could get reactor barracks + CC in base while getting 1-1-1. That will hold off any kind of rush or 1 base all-in. Perhaps for this gas-heavy air build, in which you don't really need a reactor later, a 2 rax expand might work better. They can help make tech labs later on and wall off the nat. I think a 2 rax is better actually. You can get marines out faster and punish Protoss immediately if he goes Nexus first and if he goes 1 Gate Expand and is too greedy, you can still pressure him and possibly cancel his Nexus (Thanks Nada for his recent TvP tutorial video). You can also float the 2nd rax (proxied) to scout him out since SCV scouts aren't 100% reliable and scans can miss tech.

Anyway, with reactor barracks expand or 2 rax expand or even 1-1-1 cloak banshee opening, you can transition very well into all three terran styles; bio, mech, air.

hmm, question about this

if you do this, and since you also said about the OC vs PF in the natural..
when do you exactly take the natural? around when you get your first raven+viking out, then you take the natural?
Twitter: @zhurai | Site: http://zhurai.com
NerfrA
Profile Joined March 2012
Thailand46 Posts
March 26 2012 02:25 GMT
#436
Ahh, This is cool stuff.
very good guide to kickass protoss.
The way to change the world, is change you life better.
badname
Profile Joined March 2012
Australia25 Posts
March 29 2012 15:36 GMT
#437
what are your thoughts on banshee vs stalkers in relation to surface area because banshee are air units and therefore unaffected by constriction of space but stalkers are pretty fat and so when fighting over a cliff or in a tight space often half the stalker are not in attack range meaning you can take them out a little at a time.

example 10 banshee will lose to 20 stalkers over open ground but if you can find a space where only five stalkers can attack at once you could potentially win with your stacked banshee.
the best in the world are still terrible at this game they are simply less terrible than most
Yoshi Kirishima
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States10382 Posts
April 02 2012 02:56 GMT
#438
I seemed to have not mentioned it here, but yes definitely!

If I can get this kind of style working with support hellions (ideally for the maps where it's harder to take bases far away from each other like on cloud kingdom and dual site so that air "can work" on "all" maps) then the banshee stacking will be even more powerful. Reason being that hellions rape stalkers if they're clumped up in large numbers. But if he spreads them apart, it'll be harder to attack the banshees. So either he can kill banshees but lose all his stalkers or he can lose stalkers but kill the hellions.

Banshee harass is also really powerful when they have a lot of clutter around their mineral line; stalkers stream in 1 at a time and it takes forever to defend. In that kind of situation sometimes you can pick the stalkers off one by one as they stream in (like behind the mineral line).
Mid-master streaming MECH ONLY + commentary www.twitch.tv/yoshikirishima +++ "If all-in fails, all-in again."
tdt.Baki
Profile Joined December 2011
18 Posts
April 20 2012 14:19 GMT
#439
I wanted to post a longer post on my experience about this style (playing it like 3-4 months already with 70% winrate on ~25 masters) but I'll just post a replay of a game I just played.
Since the problem with this style is the beginning I started to play 2rax 1/1/1 drop into expo (as default) but it all depends on what the enemy plays, if I see a fast expo i go 1/1/1.

To the point: The replay shows how easily one can defend a b-stalker rush with 2 rax:
http://drop.sc/164069

btw. I still mess up this style
jeeeeohn
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
United States1343 Posts
April 25 2012 00:59 GMT
#440
This is such a sick guide. I started practicing sky Terran just for fun. Once you reach that critical mass of banshees / ravens / vikings / BCs you can't be killed save for high templar. But since you have a ton of minerals all the time you can mass ghosts pretty easily. It's funny that the guide mentions PFs when I used several just as a reactionary defense in my first sky terran game. :D It was against a bronzie but it worked very well. I swear, some bronze players have better macro than gold.
If you can't jam with the best, then you have to slam with the rest.
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 46m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech166
Codebar 42
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1057
Mini 918
Soma 761
actioN 462
Rush 384
Light 332
Horang2 316
Stork 276
BeSt 266
Larva 266
[ Show more ]
Snow 236
ggaemo 236
hero 226
Killer 111
firebathero 111
Barracks 110
Aegong 102
Sea.KH 85
Zeus 79
Dewaltoss 68
Shine 61
JYJ 48
soO 43
Sexy 37
Sharp 34
Shinee 32
ToSsGirL 28
Bale 24
zelot 17
Rock 17
sorry 13
Trap 13
Sacsri 11
Terrorterran 10
Dota 2
Gorgc7258
qojqva1794
Dendi674
420jenkins156
Counter-Strike
Fnx 793
x6flipin439
fl0m69
edward42
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes4962
Khaldor578
Other Games
gofns46850
singsing1585
B2W.Neo886
byalli502
Lowko369
Mlord264
DeMusliM211
Livibee189
KnowMe180
Liquid`VortiX160
ArmadaUGS96
Trikslyr32
Chillindude16
Railgan15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV231
WardiTV228
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream195
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH134
• StrangeGG 68
• mYiSmile118
• Kozan
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• intothetv
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 29
• FirePhoenix9
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV386
League of Legends
• Nemesis2229
• Jankos1805
• TFBlade571
Other Games
• Shiphtur75
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 46m
Kung Fu Cup
19h 46m
The PondCast
1d 18h
OSC
1d 21h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.