• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:21
CEST 12:21
KST 19:21
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach3[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double0Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9002 users

[G] TvZ Only marines - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Fyro
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada123 Posts
September 23 2011 04:25 GMT
#21
As a zerg player i don't have much to add on to this thread other than if your having trouble pulling this style off you should try this UMS out that called Marine split challenge by Griffith were all you have to do is kill an increasing number of banelings with only marines and micro

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=206136



Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-23 04:47:51
September 23 2011 04:43 GMT
#22
On September 23 2011 12:30 vVvPastry wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2011 12:27 Seeker wrote:
I'm confused. You mention that, "tank's only role is killing banelings so that your marines live longer, I thought it was logical to just make more marines and get more bases than making expensive tanks."

Okay, so then how are we supposed to fight against MASS blings? Do u just want us to micro the crap out of our marines? Or do we have so many that it doesn't matter how many blings the zerg has?


If you see the replays the zerg throws away all his banelings on my marines and I have a whole new batch of marines by then. So yes micro as best as you can but you can you will be trading cost effectively


Pretty much. The actual solution to early game stuff is mass speedlings. Banelings as strange as it sounds trades poorly with straight mass marine since you throw away so much gas that you can never really tech up effectively and then you die. They are only really really good on creep in mediumish numbers to force the marines to run so your speedlings can get a surround.

Straight marine mass drop has actually become very hard style to play due to the buffed Fungal. Its very hard to win medium/late game without getting off a good bunker rush or killing drones and ovies early on or something like that.

Additionally there are large maps that favor hellion map control plays over this stuff. That being said, its probably the best style to play to get your mechanics better. Also fun.

EDIT:
I seem to recall that skipping siege opens you up for a 2 base econ bust.
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Kajarn
Profile Joined September 2010
United States126 Posts
September 23 2011 04:44 GMT
#23
I recommend getting tanks as you take your 3rd. You can easily switch to add tanks quickly with the 5th 6th gas.

However, this style usually wins/losses before Terran even trys a 3rd.
vVvPastry
Profile Joined September 2011
United States244 Posts
September 23 2011 04:48 GMT
#24
On September 23 2011 13:43 Antisocialmunky wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2011 12:30 vVvPastry wrote:
On September 23 2011 12:27 Seeker wrote:
I'm confused. You mention that, "tank's only role is killing banelings so that your marines live longer, I thought it was logical to just make more marines and get more bases than making expensive tanks."

Okay, so then how are we supposed to fight against MASS blings? Do u just want us to micro the crap out of our marines? Or do we have so many that it doesn't matter how many blings the zerg has?


If you see the replays the zerg throws away all his banelings on my marines and I have a whole new batch of marines by then. So yes micro as best as you can but you can you will be trading cost effectively


Pretty much. The actual solution to early game stuff is mass speedlings. Banelings as strange as it sounds trades poorly with straight mass marine since you throw away so much gas that you can never really tech up effectively and then you die. They are only really really good on creep in mediumish numbers to force the marines to run so your speedlings can get a surround.

Straight marine mass drop has actually become very hard style to play due to the buffed Fungal. Its very hard to win medium/late game without getting off a good bunker rush or killing drones and ovies early on or something like that.

Additionally there are large maps that favor hellion map control plays over this stuff. That being said, its probably the best style to play to get your mechanics better. Also fun.

EDIT:
I seem to recall that skipping siege opens you up for a 2 base econ bust.


I can stop 2 base bust EZ
vvv-gaming.com Favorite for Each Race Boxer/ Alicia/ Losira Supporting MMA/Teaja/sC/Marineking/Idra/White Ra/Ryung/BitByBit/MC/Team SlayerS
Conquerer67
Profile Joined May 2011
United States605 Posts
September 23 2011 04:49 GMT
#25
If a zerg goes muta/ling/bling, you're kinda f'd in the ass, assuming he has good macro/micro.

As for micro...


Not my words, Destiny's.

And even if you have tanks, it is easy as breathing for a flock of mutalisks to take out a tank line while your marines are busy not doing to a baneling group (see above).
I hate when people compare SC2 and rochambeu. One race isn't fucking supposed to counter another one. | Protoss isn't OP. Their units on the other hand....
Alpino
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil4390 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-23 04:52:50
September 23 2011 04:51 GMT
#26
If zerg is good and manage to get to hive you're dead. Just saying it. Dunno I just hate sub-optimal styles of play.
20/11/2015 - never forget EE's Ember
vVvPastry
Profile Joined September 2011
United States244 Posts
September 23 2011 04:52 GMT
#27
On September 23 2011 13:51 Alpino wrote:
If zerg is good and manage to get to hive you're dead. Just saying it.

If you watched replays you will see plenty of games where zerg gets to hive and is winning where I still manage to win
vvv-gaming.com Favorite for Each Race Boxer/ Alicia/ Losira Supporting MMA/Teaja/sC/Marineking/Idra/White Ra/Ryung/BitByBit/MC/Team SlayerS
Alpino
Profile Joined June 2011
Brazil4390 Posts
September 23 2011 04:54 GMT
#28
On September 23 2011 13:52 vVvPastry wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 23 2011 13:51 Alpino wrote:
If zerg is good and manage to get to hive you're dead. Just saying it.

If you watched replays you will see plenty of games where zerg gets to hive and is winning where I still manage to win


You outmaneuvered him, then. Gratz on that. His comp was better than yours if he had Infestors, Ling, Ultras and Brood Lords.
20/11/2015 - never forget EE's Ember
citizenleaf
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States14 Posts
September 23 2011 05:00 GMT
#29
I like these styles of play =D. Even thou tank/marine is a very powerful combo just pure marines with micro and multi pronged attacks can be very annoying to deal with (I played zerg and actually had more issues with these pressure builds then tank marine which is so immobile.) Now playing terran i attempt to bio every game even i TvT which nets me some brutal loses >.< but I feel like im having far more fun and giving myself more counter/harass options. Good first guide mate I hope to start seeing more of you. Keep with it =D
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
vVvPastry
Profile Joined September 2011
United States244 Posts
September 23 2011 05:02 GMT
#30
On September 23 2011 14:00 citizenleaf wrote:
I like these styles of play =D. Even thou tank/marine is a very powerful combo just pure marines with micro and multi pronged attacks can be very annoying to deal with (I played zerg and actually had more issues with these pressure builds then tank marine which is so immobile.) Now playing terran i attempt to bio every game even i TvT which nets me some brutal loses >.< but I feel like im having far more fun and giving myself more counter/harass options. Good first guide mate I hope to start seeing more of you. Keep with it =D

Thanks I am committed to going only Bio in every match up after playing boring mech for the longest time. I will try to get some bio TvT guides up in the future =D
vvv-gaming.com Favorite for Each Race Boxer/ Alicia/ Losira Supporting MMA/Teaja/sC/Marineking/Idra/White Ra/Ryung/BitByBit/MC/Team SlayerS
Antimatterz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States1010 Posts
September 23 2011 05:07 GMT
#31
Do you happen to be Zarahtra? I just lost this week to someone who went mass marine because I thought I could kill his marine ball moving around the map with speedlings/slowbanes and got RAPED because he just split and then killed everything, remade his 20 marines and stimmed into my bases.
"HotBid [11:45 AM]: i dunno i kinda like the big muta shooting smaller mutas out"
LionsFist
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia164 Posts
September 23 2011 05:30 GMT
#32
I used to use this strategy a lot. Unfortunately I suck at macroing while microing. So I transitioned to something less micro intensive while I focused on learning that.

I used a different variation though that you may want to include in your guide. It hits a very nice timing with 1/1/stim/CS.
I'll see if I can remember the timings...

Here we go.
http://drop.sc/36969

I was a little slow on getting up the factory/armory combo here, but allowed me to fit in range on turrets nicely. If you use the first 100 gas after the 4 upgrades for a factory, it times nicely with the finish of 1/1 and your armory coming up.

Push timings come out at ~9:00 for 1/1/CS/stim, ~11 minutes for your medivacs, ~12 minutes for your 2/2 (if you get the armory timing right ), ~16 minutes for your 3/3. Usually see a large window for constant aggression between 11 and 17 minutes.

Don't focus too hard on my bad macro, just the timings involved.
DustyShelf
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom111 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-23 05:34:51
September 23 2011 05:33 GMT
#33
Thanks for putting the reps up! Enjoyed watching them.

As a zergie I am kind of scared of this kind of build because well controlled and medivacced 3-3 marines are god like. The only way the zerg has a chance to kill this is by spending gas and as you showed in your replays it doesn't matter because a new wave of marines will appear immediately after the current wave is killed.

I'd figure even if the zergie goes hive you can outmanoeuvre broodlords quite easily (just ignore them and base race) and micro away from ultras. The theory is that it barely matters if the marines die as more are always coming and the zerg keeps spending his gas. I guess the only cost efficient approach to deal with it would be well controlled infestors (that don't die) or transfused ultras.

The only hope that zerg has at this point is to attack your production and economy and we all know how base races end vT :D

peppilepew
Profile Joined May 2011
93 Posts
September 23 2011 05:58 GMT
#34
there are players doing this in gsl aswell so dont say "if the zerg is good he wont have a problem" there obviosuly good-_-

i cant remember which terran it was doin this, i know marine king does this style but this week there has bein two other terrans using this style v zerg and they destroyed Z everytime
ManiacTheZealot
Profile Joined December 2009
United States490 Posts
September 23 2011 07:23 GMT
#35
Marines are pretty ridiculous. But if the zerg stays on creep he's fine. I think that's why people are saying if the zerg is good he won't have a problem. If he recognizes he doesn't need to invest gas in mutas then you're basically screwed unless you build tanks. A zerg with all that gas is dangerous. My guess is it would be pretty much impossible to set foot on creep without tanks.
jeb3
Profile Joined September 2010
United States27 Posts
September 23 2011 07:52 GMT
#36
I ran into this style just the other day [~1000 pt masters]. It was really tough but I pulled off a win. As the zerg u HAVE to be on top op unit control/positioning and minimap awareness. If u focus too much on defending your third, lets say, and 24 2/2 marines chew through your tech in your main it's GG. I went mass upgraded lings, mutas, and a few infestors at bases to lock down marine groups. The only time I made banelings was when I felt the need to say "Tah Tah" to uncomfortably quick planetary fortress expos that my oppenent snuck up, and for the final push into his main.

I don't know if this strategy is really viable at the top level of play tho. It may be easy to wear out some random Z on ladder, but top zergs should have no trouble keeping up with the micro/macro involved to defend this.
Midoof
Profile Joined July 2011
2 Posts
September 23 2011 08:38 GMT
#37
HalbyStarcraft is a masters player who regularly posts videos of this style on youtube. Calling it uber-ups, his preference is early 2rax pressure into expo followed by turtling to 2-2 with stim/CC and medivacs by 15min when he pushes out to take his 3rd. Typical muta/ling/bling is crushed by the constant stream of marines, especially if the zerg is too muta heavy.
VincendioS
Profile Joined March 2011
Belgium107 Posts
September 23 2011 09:08 GMT
#38
Here is my guide for drops play: (inspired by MMA):

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=251486

Here you can see I switch to tanks while building 3rd OC because I think that with mass rines you can't win if your early double drop fail.
Zarahtra
Profile Joined May 2010
Iceland4053 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-23 11:50:10
September 23 2011 11:49 GMT
#39
On September 23 2011 14:07 Antimatterz wrote:
Do you happen to be Zarahtra? I just lost this week to someone who went mass marine because I thought I could kill his marine ball moving around the map with speedlings/slowbanes and got RAPED because he just split and then killed everything, remade his 20 marines and stimmed into my bases.

Haha

Edit; Will check this out, need more ways to get into mass rine. Rine aggression is just so redicilous, though one misclick and you can be boned
Evangelist
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
1246 Posts
September 23 2011 13:35 GMT
#40
I've done this a few times are low level but I usually mix in a really small number of marauders (8:1 ratio or so) just for the slow combined with relentless attacking.

It's like playing a zerg. Very fun.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 3
Soma vs JaedongLIVE!
Afreeca ASL 11651
StarCastTV_EN238
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 291
Lowko198
ProTech88
Rex 24
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 8404
EffOrt 3872
BeSt 1260
Larva 1035
Hyuk 689
Horang2 675
ZerO 669
Zeus 208
Hyun 195
Killer 135
[ Show more ]
Light 133
Stork 133
Barracks 111
Rush 71
Shinee 44
Yoon 40
ToSsGirL 33
Bale 30
Terrorterran 24
Mong 23
PianO 21
Sacsri 17
HiyA 8
Noble 8
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
sorry 6
Dota 2
XaKoH 655
XcaliburYe344
League of Legends
KnowMe36
Counter-Strike
byalli751
Other Games
singsing2001
olofmeister1450
crisheroes234
Livibee185
Sick147
ArmadaUGS56
Mew2King53
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 167
lovetv 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH305
• StrangeGG 19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1979
• Stunt426
Other Games
• WagamamaTV156
Upcoming Events
WardiTV Weekly
39m
Rex24
Monday Night Weeklies
5h 39m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 39m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 39m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 13h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.