• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:15
CEST 04:15
KST 11:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach0[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9607 users

[G] How to Improve Efficiently at SC2 1v1 - Page 17

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 30 Next All
eXalt
Profile Joined January 2011
United States71 Posts
April 09 2011 20:25 GMT
#321
http://twitter.com/callmetasteless

Just posted! Great job on the guide by the way ^^
Ignorance is Strength.
Goibon
Profile Joined May 2010
New Zealand8185 Posts
April 09 2011 22:32 GMT
#322
Ugh, kinda wish i didn't read this. Now i'm addicted to OSU!.

Oh well, at least my clicking will improve :D
Leenock =^_^= Ryung =^_^= Parting =^_^= herO =^_^= Guilty
fuzzy_panda
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
New Zealand1681 Posts
April 09 2011 22:36 GMT
#323
im speechless at the epicness of this guide...definitely gonna be reading through this in my downtime at work haha!
Razith
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada431 Posts
April 09 2011 23:59 GMT
#324
The only question I have is about tapping.

During the first few minutes of the game, when I have just 1 command center and 1 barracks on my hot keys, I'll often tap while scouting to make sure I don't forget to keep building marines and SCVs. A quick tap shows me where the progress bar is so I can stay on top of my macro.

However, when I get into mid-late game and have more than 1 CC bound to my hot key and multiple production facilities on a hot key, all I see is the white bars to show ques, but nothing about duration. I could tap, see all these white bars and think "Ok I'm producing", but in reality they could be 5 seconds away from completing.

Is there a trick to over come this?
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
April 10 2011 01:31 GMT
#325
On April 10 2011 08:59 Razith wrote:
The only question I have is about tapping.

During the first few minutes of the game, when I have just 1 command center and 1 barracks on my hot keys, I'll often tap while scouting to make sure I don't forget to keep building marines and SCVs. A quick tap shows me where the progress bar is so I can stay on top of my macro.

However, when I get into mid-late game and have more than 1 CC bound to my hot key and multiple production facilities on a hot key, all I see is the white bars to show ques, but nothing about duration. I could tap, see all these white bars and think "Ok I'm producing", but in reality they could be 5 seconds away from completing.

Is there a trick to over come this?

Just get in the habit of knowing when they are about done. If in doubt, just keep 2 SCVs in each queue -that's what I do.
Razith
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada431 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-10 01:37:37
April 10 2011 01:37 GMT
#326
On April 10 2011 10:31 CecilSunkure wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 08:59 Razith wrote:
The only question I have is about tapping.

During the first few minutes of the game, when I have just 1 command center and 1 barracks on my hot keys, I'll often tap while scouting to make sure I don't forget to keep building marines and SCVs. A quick tap shows me where the progress bar is so I can stay on top of my macro.

However, when I get into mid-late game and have more than 1 CC bound to my hot key and multiple production facilities on a hot key, all I see is the white bars to show ques, but nothing about duration. I could tap, see all these white bars and think "Ok I'm producing", but in reality they could be 5 seconds away from completing.

Is there a trick to over come this?

Just get in the habit of knowing when they are about done. If in doubt, just keep 2 SCVs in each queue -that's what I do.


That's what I've been doing as well. I check regularly and generally start queuing another cycle when there's only one white line / I feel like its been there a while, but it'd be nice to have a more accurate way to tell. Too bad there aren't mini production bars.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
April 10 2011 01:38 GMT
#327
On April 10 2011 10:37 Razith wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 10:31 CecilSunkure wrote:
On April 10 2011 08:59 Razith wrote:
The only question I have is about tapping.

During the first few minutes of the game, when I have just 1 command center and 1 barracks on my hot keys, I'll often tap while scouting to make sure I don't forget to keep building marines and SCVs. A quick tap shows me where the progress bar is so I can stay on top of my macro.

However, when I get into mid-late game and have more than 1 CC bound to my hot key and multiple production facilities on a hot key, all I see is the white bars to show ques, but nothing about duration. I could tap, see all these white bars and think "Ok I'm producing", but in reality they could be 5 seconds away from completing.

Is there a trick to over come this?

Just get in the habit of knowing when they are about done. If in doubt, just keep 2 SCVs in each queue -that's what I do.


That's what I've been doing as well. I check regularly and generally start queuing another cycle when there's only one white line / I feel like its been there a while, but it'd be nice to have a more accurate way to tell. Too bad there aren't mini production bars.

Well I actually don't mind. Don't want the game playing everything for the player -you need some sort of way for higher skilled players to separate themselves from the lower-tier players... Just a thought.
Razith
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada431 Posts
April 10 2011 01:49 GMT
#328
On April 10 2011 10:38 CecilSunkure wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 10:37 Razith wrote:
On April 10 2011 10:31 CecilSunkure wrote:
On April 10 2011 08:59 Razith wrote:
The only question I have is about tapping.

During the first few minutes of the game, when I have just 1 command center and 1 barracks on my hot keys, I'll often tap while scouting to make sure I don't forget to keep building marines and SCVs. A quick tap shows me where the progress bar is so I can stay on top of my macro.

However, when I get into mid-late game and have more than 1 CC bound to my hot key and multiple production facilities on a hot key, all I see is the white bars to show ques, but nothing about duration. I could tap, see all these white bars and think "Ok I'm producing", but in reality they could be 5 seconds away from completing.

Is there a trick to over come this?

Just get in the habit of knowing when they are about done. If in doubt, just keep 2 SCVs in each queue -that's what I do.


That's what I've been doing as well. I check regularly and generally start queuing another cycle when there's only one white line / I feel like its been there a while, but it'd be nice to have a more accurate way to tell. Too bad there aren't mini production bars.

Well I actually don't mind. Don't want the game playing everything for the player -you need some sort of way for higher skilled players to separate themselves from the lower-tier players... Just a thought.


Would it really be that big of a change? Zerg can see the number of larva on each hatchery (but not larva inject) when bound to a hot key, Protoss can see the warp-gate cool down ticking away when bound to one key. All races suffer from the lack of a production bar with multiple buildings bound, but Terran suffers the most as this is all our production facilities.

It would also require the the same amount of actions. Regardless, I'm going to have to tap through my keys to see if my building is producing or not. This doesn't remove the amount of actions, but rather feeds in more accurate information.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
April 10 2011 01:56 GMT
#329
On April 10 2011 10:49 Razith wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 10:38 CecilSunkure wrote:
On April 10 2011 10:37 Razith wrote:
On April 10 2011 10:31 CecilSunkure wrote:
On April 10 2011 08:59 Razith wrote:
The only question I have is about tapping.

During the first few minutes of the game, when I have just 1 command center and 1 barracks on my hot keys, I'll often tap while scouting to make sure I don't forget to keep building marines and SCVs. A quick tap shows me where the progress bar is so I can stay on top of my macro.

However, when I get into mid-late game and have more than 1 CC bound to my hot key and multiple production facilities on a hot key, all I see is the white bars to show ques, but nothing about duration. I could tap, see all these white bars and think "Ok I'm producing", but in reality they could be 5 seconds away from completing.

Is there a trick to over come this?

Just get in the habit of knowing when they are about done. If in doubt, just keep 2 SCVs in each queue -that's what I do.


That's what I've been doing as well. I check regularly and generally start queuing another cycle when there's only one white line / I feel like its been there a while, but it'd be nice to have a more accurate way to tell. Too bad there aren't mini production bars.

Well I actually don't mind. Don't want the game playing everything for the player -you need some sort of way for higher skilled players to separate themselves from the lower-tier players... Just a thought.


Would it really be that big of a change? Zerg can see the number of larva on each hatchery (but not larva inject) when bound to a hot key, Protoss can see the warp-gate cool down ticking away when bound to one key. All races suffer from the lack of a production bar with multiple buildings bound, but Terran suffers the most as this is all our production facilities.

It would also require the the same amount of actions. Regardless, I'm going to have to tap through my keys to see if my building is producing or not. This doesn't remove the amount of actions, but rather feeds in more accurate information.

No I don't think it would be a very big change, but this change along with a lot of other similar changes can be a big change in all. I'm just being overly idealistic
Razith
Profile Joined February 2011
Canada431 Posts
April 10 2011 02:08 GMT
#330
On April 10 2011 10:56 CecilSunkure wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 10 2011 10:49 Razith wrote:
On April 10 2011 10:38 CecilSunkure wrote:
On April 10 2011 10:37 Razith wrote:
On April 10 2011 10:31 CecilSunkure wrote:
On April 10 2011 08:59 Razith wrote:
The only question I have is about tapping.

During the first few minutes of the game, when I have just 1 command center and 1 barracks on my hot keys, I'll often tap while scouting to make sure I don't forget to keep building marines and SCVs. A quick tap shows me where the progress bar is so I can stay on top of my macro.

However, when I get into mid-late game and have more than 1 CC bound to my hot key and multiple production facilities on a hot key, all I see is the white bars to show ques, but nothing about duration. I could tap, see all these white bars and think "Ok I'm producing", but in reality they could be 5 seconds away from completing.

Is there a trick to over come this?

Just get in the habit of knowing when they are about done. If in doubt, just keep 2 SCVs in each queue -that's what I do.


That's what I've been doing as well. I check regularly and generally start queuing another cycle when there's only one white line / I feel like its been there a while, but it'd be nice to have a more accurate way to tell. Too bad there aren't mini production bars.

Well I actually don't mind. Don't want the game playing everything for the player -you need some sort of way for higher skilled players to separate themselves from the lower-tier players... Just a thought.


Would it really be that big of a change? Zerg can see the number of larva on each hatchery (but not larva inject) when bound to a hot key, Protoss can see the warp-gate cool down ticking away when bound to one key. All races suffer from the lack of a production bar with multiple buildings bound, but Terran suffers the most as this is all our production facilities.

It would also require the the same amount of actions. Regardless, I'm going to have to tap through my keys to see if my building is producing or not. This doesn't remove the amount of actions, but rather feeds in more accurate information.

No I don't think it would be a very big change, but this change along with a lot of other similar changes can be a big change in all. I'm just being overly idealistic


Haha well I do agree with you about not making this game over simplistic. I love games with high skill caps that make for amazing play; if anything that is what makes them so interesting to watch (got my fingers crossed for Tribes Ascend ). I would be against things like auto cast injects for zerg, but I think this would be a harmless change.

Heck look at the ability to select 255 units at once now. I bet in BW days they would say it would make the game too easy. Now you're punished for leaving your units in a ball due to aoe.
poboxy
Profile Joined October 2009
Canada48 Posts
April 10 2011 06:04 GMT
#331
I made a pdf for myself of the 4/04/2011 update, maybe someone will want it.
uGoatt
Profile Joined November 2010
United States85 Posts
April 10 2011 06:38 GMT
#332
This guide covers so many things that people tend to overlook. Thankyou very much for all your effort.
LucienL
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands8 Posts
April 10 2011 10:46 GMT
#333
There are also a variety of different palm grips you should familiarize yourself with. You should familiarize yourself with the three types of grips. The palm grip usually is a result of a player using their shoulder as their pivot. This is (I'd assume) good for FPS playing. I know though that the palm grip is terrible for RTS play. RTS play benefits from being have to have precise movements, and if your pivot is all the way in your shoulder you will have a pretty hard time making precise movements.


I have to disagree with this. Just like how writing is done best from the shoulder, it's a very strong way to control your mouse. Using a low sensitivity was very common in Quake 3 because, amongst many other things, it let you control your lightning gun way better. To kill someone with a lightning gun you had to keep your aim on them constantly, which was hard when they were making small, quick movements constantly, trying to dodge your aim. It was easier to pull off that kind of precise aim with a low sensitivity - so low that you HAD to use your entire arm to control your mouse. defensive players who needed supreme accuracy would often use a very low sensitivity in that game.

Another thing is that mouse acceleration is hugely misunderstood. Variable mouse acceleration is bad, sure, but real mouse acceleration is that you basically have two sensitivities. One default sensitivity, and a second sensitivity setting which kicks in if you move your mouse beyond a certain speed. This let Quake 3 players have extremely low sensitivities which were good for accuracy and precise movements, without restricting their freedom. It's ashame this kind of acceleration has basically vanished.

That said, high sensitivity is still viable, and especially so in RTS games. It's just that low isn't bad either.

Akta
Profile Joined February 2011
447 Posts
April 10 2011 13:36 GMT
#334
I don't play much but looked like an interesting article and I'm having a hard time understanding the 2.02 goal section.

I like clear logical structures. What are opinions built on, how does your brain analyze the thousands of questions you ask yourself every day and so on. We take finished usually vague conclusions from previous experiences and use them when we think about something. Sometimes it can be very complicated but every single opinion and choice can be broken down and analyzed. For example political preferences tend to be built on somewhat simple blocks of base opinions. Example:

How do I approach X?
1, 2, 3 and 4 tells me to approach X the Y way.
1 was based on 101, 102, 103 and 104.
101 was based on 1001, 1002, 1003 and 1004.
And so on.

Perhaps we go 1 or 2 depths down for an average quick though, it probably needs to work like this to be efficient. But of course the system leads to an extreme amount of errors in our thought processes.
So how should we learn things etc? Well crystal clear logical structures are proven to be efficient and perhaps that is all there is to it.

Most people don't have structured thought processes and goals for anything. Take a random computer game someone plays and the person likely just wants something. Someone wants to have the best gear in WoW and someone else wants to beat everyone else in sc2.

The way I see things, if you want to become good at something the logical goal should be to get better. If someone asked me how to become the word champion in sc2 I would answer "by getting better at sc2".

Mental structure:

1
Problem: Want to win GSL.
Solution: Get better at playing starcraft 2. <--- Main goal.

2
1 sub problem: Want to get better at starcraft 2.
Solution:


3
2 sub problem:
Solution:

3.1
3 sub problem:
Solution:


3.11
3.1 sub problem:
Solution

3.12
3.1 sub problem:
Solution:


3.121
3.11 sub problem:
Solution:


4
2 sub problem:
Solution:

4.1
4 sub problem:
Solution:


I love stuff like this and I don't question the goal section, I just don't quite understand it.
SushilS
Profile Joined November 2010
2115 Posts
April 10 2011 14:15 GMT
#335
OMGDFGHJKL;'
*Cancels all appointments for the rest of the day!lol.*
iceiceice: I’m going to make this short; I am the one true tinker player.
Braag
Profile Joined August 2010
United States15 Posts
April 10 2011 16:37 GMT
#336
I need some help with the mouse acceleration, I have messed around with it for a couple of hours now and I haven't been able to change anything, I have deleted the regedit files, did the markc fix, and did everything multiple times to make sure I did it right, however I see NO difference.
Could anyone help?
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
April 10 2011 17:02 GMT
#337
On April 11 2011 01:37 Braag wrote:
I need some help with the mouse acceleration, I have messed around with it for a couple of hours now and I haven't been able to change anything, I have deleted the regedit files, did the markc fix, and did everything multiple times to make sure I did it right, however I see NO difference.
Could anyone help?

Download the registry tools, find which one to run, then run it. Then log off, and back on. That's it.
spinal2k
Profile Joined June 2010
Portugal148 Posts
April 10 2011 17:30 GMT
#338
lovely reading...

thank you for this. Tastless brought me here!
Wanna turn up the heat?
Fuze
Profile Joined August 2010
Belgium6 Posts
April 10 2011 21:05 GMT
#339
Really good guide after reading it a 10 winstreak , guess this helped me!
BearSandwich
Profile Joined April 2010
United States44 Posts
April 10 2011 21:27 GMT
#340
Great job and thank you for writing this guide. It's helping me leaps and bounds just by focusing on learning individual builds. Going for 1 build per match-up has turned my focus around and instead of getting lost, I can keep the momentum in a given match.
Prev 1 15 16 17 18 19 30 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings94
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
davetesta26
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 262
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 10719
Dota 2
monkeys_forever959
NeuroSwarm170
febbydoto44
League of Legends
Doublelift6016
JimRising 669
Counter-Strike
minikerr22
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox855
Mew2King35
Other Games
summit1g8594
Maynarde218
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick392
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 200
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo286
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
7h 45m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
8h 45m
Monday Night Weeklies
13h 45m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 7h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 7h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 21h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.