This is the safest opening in the PvT world currently. The idea behind this opening is to quickly get out an observer while laying a nexus down. Once your observer figures out what the Terran is doing you can react appropriately, even cancelling your Nexus if need be.
Overall you make a Gateway, Robo, Gateway, Nexus, Observer --> React. Pretty simple.
I advise most of my students to use this build when they are looking to improve quickly (see signature). This is because I believe the best builds to use are ones that get you as a player the most information about the game, thus allowing the potential for learning moments to occur vastly frequent, compared to defensive or blind styles and openings.
The Opening Build
- 9 Pylon
- 13 Gateway
- 14 Assimilator
- 16 Pylon
- @100% Gateway: Cybernetics Core
- While Cybernetics is constructing: Zealot; 2nd Assimilator
- 21-22 Pylon
- @100% Cybernetics Core: Warpgate Research (Chrono'd); Sentry (Chrono'd)
- @100% Sentry; Stalker
- Robo @ 200 Minerals
- Gateway @ 150 Minerals
- @100% Robo; Observer (Chrono'd)
- Pylon at Ramp
- Warp in Sentries*
- *You'll need a good amount of Sentries to: allow you spend heavy minerals on your Nexus; protect you from early aggression; accumulate energy over time.
- **You could also opt for a second Observer if you wish; it sucks when your observer is in the middle of the map and a cloaked banshee wanders behind your minerals!
Note: This build order is intentionally left rather open-ended, as some people prefer a 9 pylon scout 12 gate, and some people prefer a 13 gate scout; this list caters to both in the later half.
Your Observer should reach the enemy base before your Nexus finishes. If you see no sign of an Expansion, go ahead and cancel your Nexus and add on a 3rd Gateway (note it is also possible to keep your expo and prepare for the aggression accordingly in many circumstances, depending on the type of aggression). If you do see an Expansion being planned you can continue on with whatever path you desire. I suggest going for a setup of 5 Gateways, a Robo and one forge while on two bases (only 3 assimilators need to be taken until you tech farther).
Followup is going to be very dependent on what the Terran does, as Protoss usually plays the reactionary in PvT.
If you see a lots of Banshees, phoenix are probably going to be needed. If they are going for some sort of allin with a ton of marines, a Colossus should be rushed out to deal with that.
If you see a marine//tank push you're going to need Immortals, Zealots and Sentries. A warp prism with an immortal drop can also help tremendously.
The only drawback I know of this opening, is that you won't have as good of an economic advantage as a 1 Gate FE if the Terran opts for a fast expand build. I suppose I should also mention that this is a passive reactionary opening and not meant to be aggressive early on.
- Those early Sentries I mentioned earlier are critical. You absolutely should be warping in Sentries if you want this opening to be safe; the force fields along with the early Immortal should make you un-breakable early game.
- I'm popularly dropped with blue flame hellions, so I suggest that two observers be bought unless you scout early Barracks aggression and need a fast Immortal. The two observers is also great, because it sucks when cloaked Banshees are in your base and an observer halfway across the map (or all the way across).
Replays and VODs