• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:30
CEST 08:30
KST 15:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9433 users

[G] Gnial's PvT Stalker-Void Ray Strategy - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 12 Next All
Ndugu
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1078 Posts
August 03 2010 18:23 GMT
#61
I transitioed into carriers from this once because the Terran went marine/tank and turtled really hard (beat off a mid-game push with phoenixes to lift his siege-tanks just barely). Carrier + blink stalker worked well. I avoided engaging his ground army with my stalkers and just kept my carriers out of range. Used the stalkers to mop up vikings.
Coil
Profile Joined May 2010
Argentina119 Posts
August 03 2010 18:34 GMT
#62
Sounds cool, i will watch the replays when i get home.
Have you ever encountered the terran thor+ghost into fast expo? I'm getting it from low-med diamond players often which just destroy me, my 2 stalkers get to their base when a marauder is already out, so the pressure i can do is minimal.

I'm not sure i can contain for long against this and i'm thinking about VRs vs Thors... Doesnt sound very happy. Any advice on using this strategy against that?

Awesome writeup, thanks!
<@Failure> I GOT RIZZIED <@Failure> NO ORDINARY GURL KAE <@Failure> SHE RIZZIE
aintz
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada5624 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-03 18:37:00
August 03 2010 18:35 GMT
#63
awesome strat, got me into platnium league lol. and ive played about 15 matches only haha.

once they see your stalkers they mass marauder and the first/2nd void ray just wins the game if they dont go 3 rax or starport.
Pii
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany11 Posts
August 03 2010 18:42 GMT
#64
i tried your tactic, very very nice.... But when the opponent builds up a bunker beforce ur stalker arrive u loss almost 100%... i have 100 apm and my opponent 30... still he wins.

With the voidray u can buy some time, but as soon as he build air u loss.
Crosswind
Profile Joined May 2010
United States279 Posts
August 03 2010 18:43 GMT
#65
VRs versus Thors isn't actually as one-sided as one might think.

In particular, I'm pretty sure that a single charged VR will beat a Thor, 1v1. Seeing as Thors are incredibly slow, you should be able to get up to full charge before fighting it.

There's nothing that comes out of a factory that is particularly scary to a VR. The scary bits are vikings and marines.

-Cross
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
August 03 2010 18:52 GMT
#66
Oh hmm, this strat would probably beat really hard against the rax-fact-rax opening, due to the number of stalkers. Perhaps I need to look up some other TvP strats.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
Bibdy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3481 Posts
August 03 2010 18:55 GMT
#67
On August 04 2010 03:43 Crosswind wrote:
VRs versus Thors isn't actually as one-sided as one might think.

In particular, I'm pretty sure that a single charged VR will beat a Thor, 1v1. Seeing as Thors are incredibly slow, you should be able to get up to full charge before fighting it.

There's nothing that comes out of a factory that is particularly scary to a VR. The scary bits are vikings and marines.

-Cross


The only time a Thor wins one-on-one is if its getting repaired.
check mate
Profile Joined June 2010
Germany39 Posts
August 03 2010 19:29 GMT
#68
I played a game a few minutes ago on steppes of war against a protoss player who tried this build.

I just went on with my game strategy vs protoss, which is to build a rax with tech lab and one with reactor aiming for a quick star port with reactor pumping medevacs.
I built my first rax + tech lab at the ramp + supply depot and then finish the wall off with a bunker, that way the bunker is pretty forward and prevents stalkers from shooting at the other buildings without taking damage.
Around this time the stalkers started to show up.
By that time I get the 2nd rax, that i equip it with reactor.
After the reactor finishes I start to pump rines while training rauders from the other rax.
(in the meantime i get upgrades such as concusive shells and shields).

Then I build a factory + reactor which i lift and then place my star port on the reactor.
While doing that i move my forces to the opponent, and manage to kill some of his troops, while spotting his void ray/starport.
After seeing his void ray, i started training 2 viks.
I then killed his void ray with my viks and went on to win the game pretty easy.

I have to admit, that my opponent didn't play nearly as good as you, but I also kinda lack some serious skills...

I think that the strategy I used, could give protoss some problems if he would go for your strategy, due to the fact, that terran has a decent bio army, by the time you get void rays, and he also should have his starport + reactor, making it quite easy to pump viks instead of the medevacs.

Looking forward to hear your opinion on this :D
Lunit
Profile Joined July 2010
United States183 Posts
August 03 2010 19:42 GMT
#69
Great Post.
askke
Profile Joined August 2010
United States5 Posts
August 03 2010 20:08 GMT
#70
This sounds very interesting. I usually do some stalker harass and contain against terran but usaully get steamrolled when they push out. Void rays may be the answer. Thanks!
link0
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1071 Posts
August 03 2010 20:56 GMT
#71
Very very strong build. VRs punish Marauder heavy armies while harassing and containing. Stalkers punish marine heavy armies.
http://www.justin.tv/link0 - Gosu.Linko - http://www.facebook.com/link0
aintz
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada5624 Posts
August 03 2010 21:00 GMT
#72
early void rays vs a terran that thinks ur going to mass stalkers is pure win. unless they already have viking up or alot of marines by the time you get your first void ray, you should win.

used this strat 4x so far in platnium league and no losses except for the one where thunderstorm cut my power lol.
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-03 21:08:41
August 03 2010 21:05 GMT
#73
Hey everyone, thanks a bunch for all the great comments and ideas.

New Section
I have put a part into the 3. Midgame Transition section about carriers in response to some of the comments I've seen. However, I really have no experience with carriers in 1v1 PvT so if anyone has some replays of trying to transition into carriers from stalker-void ray - win or lose - I'd love to put them into the replays section.

New Replay
I have uploaded a new replay, against Stalk, that is quite a bit different from the other replays.
a) Different map - Desert Oasis.
b) I did a 1-gate cyber build instead of the dual cyber build.
c) I get warp gate faster.
d) The game actually goes into the mid game! Yay!
e) And my apm doesn't stay below 50 the entire time like in the other games. See, I'm not always lazy.


I would also like to respond to several comments suggesting that this build will have a short life-span and will become obsolete. Guess what? At the top levels I 100% agree. It would be ridiculous if people could keep doing this build exactly as written, indefinitely, and keep their PvT winning % above 50% for two reasons:

1. Terran players can adapt and learn.
2. If Terran players can't adapt - then the build is over-powered and blizzard will patch it.

However, I do truly believe that parts of this build are here to stay. In Starcraft BroodWar, early dragoon aggression is standard for PvT - and so far I have seen absolutely nothing that makes early stalker aggression seem like a bad idea in SC2 PvT. And perhaps the early-game void-ray may become obsolete on some maps as terrans start actively skewing their composition towards anti-air and anti-armored early. However, I cannot imagine stalker-void ray will ever be 'bad' or 'obsolete' for some maps - in particular maps like desert oasis that allow you to abuse cliffs. (See replay vsStalk)

It could be that this strategy fades into one of several feasible strategies that can be whipped out on certain maps, or that only certain parts of the builds stand the test of time. But I do know that this build is working now, and it couldn't possibly hurt to have this build in your back pocket in the future.

P.S. My "Real Men Proxygate" T-shirt just arrived in the mail. I'm totally gonna proxy my 2-gate stalker harass for the rest of the day.

1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
August 03 2010 21:59 GMT
#74
[image loading]

Seriously man, lot's of good stuff in here. Would love it if you'd add this to the pedia. Let me know if you need any help.
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
thezergk
Profile Joined October 2009
United States492 Posts
August 03 2010 23:41 GMT
#75
U r a god! I've been getting raped in every single PvT and have been looking for the right kind of harass to get terran on their back foot (since bio ball rapes toss until templar or colossi). I will use this a lot and I love you!
Nada vs. TLO Results: "Nada 1 TLO 1 Bnet 2 KESPA 1"
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
August 04 2010 00:01 GMT
#76
Btw just so you know

1/1/1 (done properly) absolutely trashes this build
if he holds the marines at the top of the ramp (as opposed to behind the wall) to damage the initial stalkers and then keeps pumping marines and then get shis first tank out by the time you get your 4th stalker (with the 2 gate variant) void rays are much too late

Otherwise if you go 1 gate fast ray then he will have 6-7 marines by the time your first voidray arrives. When tank comes out your harass is over and he can almost a-move you if you didnt add on gates

All micro dependent ofc, but its the same way that seige expand or FD in SC1 > 2gate goon if played properly (enough to defend and push out to expand)

Still you can hold enough to transition out (if you do the 2 gate variant) into an expansion or more 1 base play (if you are afraid of 1 base t)

---

for those of you who dont think that 1/1/1 beats this (esp the 1 gate variant) then just try the BO a few times or check out my youtube video and the timings are pretty obvious
sYz-Adrenaline
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States1850 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-04 00:06:44
August 04 2010 00:06 GMT
#77
Gave this build a try and I haven't lost with it yet really uhhh to lazy to upload reps but if you really want me to i will

500 diamond protoss~
Can you feel the rush?
7mk
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Germany10157 Posts
August 04 2010 00:26 GMT
#78
nice guide.
I also just recently realised how strong early chrono boosted stalkers are, although I usually dont go for void rays (I just find them a bit boring)
Then again I havent really worked out smooth transitions yet cause I killed my opponents too fast (still in platinum league)
beep boop
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
August 04 2010 00:31 GMT
#79
Having said what ive said previously, the 2 gate stalker opening is really nice though

Terrans seem to be really greedy atm and thus fail to counter it properly so its definately worth it even though all it takes is a bunker to pretty much kill your harass (and then they can expand)

Does anyone know how safe it is to expand after your 4th or 6th stalker with the 2 gate variant?
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
August 04 2010 00:33 GMT
#80
On August 04 2010 09:31 BrTarolg wrote:
Having said what ive said previously, the 2 gate stalker opening is really nice though

Terrans seem to be really greedy atm and thus fail to counter it properly so its definately worth it even though all it takes is a bunker to pretty much kill your harass (and then they can expand)

Does anyone know how safe it is to expand after your 4th or 6th stalker with the 2 gate variant?


The toss can expand as long as he can keep the terran penned up in his base. Poking the terran with stalkers and void rays, especially from multiple angles, can do wonders towards accomplishing ihis.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 145
-ZergGirl 79
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1637
Hyuk 254
910 73
Yoon 46
Bale 33
ZergMaN 20
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 16
Icarus 11
League of Legends
JimRising 611
Reynor54
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox576
Mew2King68
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor256
Other Games
summit1g7470
WinterStarcraft412
C9.Mang0260
PiGStarcraft236
Sick212
Livibee164
ArmadaUGS47
Happy1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream222
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2353
League of Legends
• Stunt538
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 30m
Stellar Fest
6h 30m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.