• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:30
CEST 08:30
KST 15:30
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9459 users

[G] Gnial's PvT Stalker-Void Ray Strategy - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12 Next All
iSTime
Profile Joined November 2006
1579 Posts
August 04 2010 00:35 GMT
#81
On August 04 2010 09:01 BrTarolg wrote:
Btw just so you know

1/1/1 (done properly) absolutely trashes this build
if he holds the marines at the top of the ramp (as opposed to behind the wall) to damage the initial stalkers and then keeps pumping marines and then get shis first tank out by the time you get your 4th stalker (with the 2 gate variant) void rays are much too late

Otherwise if you go 1 gate fast ray then he will have 6-7 marines by the time your first voidray arrives. When tank comes out your harass is over and he can almost a-move you if you didnt add on gates

All micro dependent ofc, but its the same way that seige expand or FD in SC1 > 2gate goon if played properly (enough to defend and push out to expand)

Still you can hold enough to transition out (if you do the 2 gate variant) into an expansion or more 1 base play (if you are afraid of 1 base t)

---

for those of you who dont think that 1/1/1 beats this (esp the 1 gate variant) then just try the BO a few times or check out my youtube video and the timings are pretty obvious


I don't do the exact build that OP does, but I really haven't had problems against 1/1/1. If they skimp on marines they lose to the stalkers, and if they have a lot of marines and your stalkers haven't picked off a lot of them you can just go robotics facility rather than stargate.
www.infinityseven.net
sYz-Adrenaline
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States1850 Posts
August 04 2010 00:53 GMT
#82
I also might add i did do your build but its a variation as well
Can you feel the rush?
Chronopolis
Profile Joined April 2009
Canada1484 Posts
August 04 2010 02:06 GMT
#83
Question: Is it better to target maruaders or marines with your void rays fighting with a stalker (zealot) void ray army.
RandomBS
Profile Joined July 2010
United States130 Posts
August 04 2010 02:08 GMT
#84
You always want to kill the marines first as they are the only early game unit that can damage your voids.. once the marines are dead you can have a field day with the marauders and buildings.
"an intelligent zerg will go 2 hatch, my build was designed to take advantage of that and so lost because he went 3 hatch. going 3 hatch is utterly retarded for the reasons i just explained so yes i did lose because he did something dumb." -idra
aintz
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada5624 Posts
August 04 2010 02:36 GMT
#85
did more pvt in plat 4th place in league now. most people will mass mauarders at the sight of initial stalkers. i lost one because i build 3 voidrays and only 4 stalkers and the terran massed marines and pushed out with siege/marine

shoot marines unless theres a big ball of it. and if there is you probably cant push anyways.
Yokoblue
Profile Joined March 2010
Canada594 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-04 03:10:27
August 04 2010 03:10 GMT
#86
I do your build a lot with little variations too.

What i really like is faking an early expend... Building the gate at the ramp of the natural (like in steppes). That way, they usually get marine faster in case of a rush or think i'm going for a quick expend and dont do a lot of unit to defend...

+

That way I can get my stalker in his base 20-30 sec earlier.
Master League playing Protoss and Zerg
Reborn8u
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1761 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-04 03:34:30
August 04 2010 03:32 GMT
#87
It's similar to what I do only replace the void rays with phoenix. You can get the 1st one out to scout very quickly with chrono, it's better for worker harass (I always go after their gas miners first) and if the terran gets tanks you can get a nice timing push by lifting them during your 1st attack.

The stat comparison

2 voidrays = $500 300gas 2minutes 6 supply
3 phoenix = $450 300gas 2min15sec 6 supply

The fact that phoenix are much faster than voidrays, and can move while shooting, makes their abilities to scout, harass, snipe medevacs or ravens, deal with vikings and most importantly STAY ALIVE better than void rays IMO.
When I get that 1st scout in I basically decide to either go more chargelot vs bio or add immortal vs mech and I decide whether or not to expo or wait.

I've Been rolling Terrans with phoenix, whenever I go void rays I get smoked by marine/FE or maurader all in's. Because the extra build time on void rays, the fact that it takes twice as long to move across the map means you get a much earlier scout with phoenix at a more crucial timing (because you'll have time to react). At this point in the game the terran will most likely be walled and you wont have obs yet if you went stargate 1st.

I think this would work very well with the stalker harass and recharge idea because you can keep them running back and forth from their choke to their minerals and keep doing damage to their income or force them to turtle. Also, when they try to repair a structure you grab the scv and snipe him before he does any repairing. Sniping his 1st medevac will be way easier (and devastating). When the first siege tank arrives you can instantly take it out of the fight.

The OP is obviously better than me from the information he gave about his league and rank. I bet you'd have Terrans crying IMBA if you started using phoenix's instead of voidrays.
:)
Gnial
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada907 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-04 07:46:16
August 04 2010 06:33 GMT
#88
Hey everyone, sYz-Adrenaline has been kind enough to give me a couple of replays.

In his replays he does a slight variation on the dual-stalker rush, opting to get 2 zealots out before the 2 stalkers. It does delay his attack time considerably - so much so that the early harass doesn't work in either replay, but it has some immediate advantages: With the zealots there to tank it becomes less micro-intensive, and it also has more balance against early marauders.

The first replay is posted in the replays section.

In the second replay he doesn't follow up his rush with stargate tech, so it doesn't really fit into this strategy thread...but it is one of the coolest replays I have seen in a long time. I won't give too much away, but note that a) it is high level play, b) I have never seen so many gateways from one person before, and c) can you say carriers?

Because he went carriers I have put a link to the replay in the 3. Mid-game Transition Carriers section.


And before I go...

On August 04 2010 12:32 Reborn8u wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
t's similar to what I do only replace the void rays with phoenix. You can get the 1st one out to scout very quickly with chrono, it's better for worker harass (I always go after their gas miners first) and if the terran gets tanks you can get a nice timing push by lifting them during your 1st attack.

The stat comparison

2 voidrays = $500 300gas 2minutes 6 supply
3 phoenix = $450 300gas 2min15sec 6 supply

The fact that phoenix are much faster than voidrays, and can move while shooting, makes their abilities to scout, harass, snipe medevacs or ravens, deal with vikings and most importantly STAY ALIVE better than void rays IMO.
When I get that 1st scout in I basically decide to either go more chargelot vs bio or add immortal vs mech and I decide whether or not to expo or wait.

I've Been rolling Terrans with phoenix, whenever I go void rays I get smoked by marine/FE or maurader all in's. Because the extra build time on void rays, the fact that it takes twice as long to move across the map means you get a much earlier scout with phoenix at a more crucial timing (because you'll have time to react). At this point in the game the terran will most likely be walled and you wont have obs yet if you went stargate 1st.

I think this would work very well with the stalker harass and recharge idea because you can keep them running back and forth from their choke to their minerals and keep doing damage to their income or force them to turtle. Also, when they try to repair a structure you grab the scv and snipe him before he does any repairing. Sniping his 1st medevac will be way easier (and devastating). When the first siege tank arrives you can instantly take it out of the fight.

The OP is obviously better than me from the information he gave about his league and rank. I bet you'd have Terrans crying IMBA if you started using phoenix's instead of voidrays.


You are not the first one to try to convince me about the awesomeness of phoenixes - I will have to give it a try. Phoenixes can't provide that devastating punch that a void ray can - but forcing them to throw down some turrets and move away from their front could be useful indeed, and being able to win the air vs air battle could be nice. I may have to bump them up on my high-ground scouting unit spectrum if things go well. At the very least we may be able to identify maps and scenarios where they do have a distinct advantage over void rays, such as maps/positions where the terran is likely to go for drops or some sort of earlier air composition.

Edit: I also added a new replay - Plexa vs Figgy.

Thanks sYz-Adrenaline and Plexa for taking the time to send me some replays
1, eh? 2, eh? 3, eh?
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
August 04 2010 07:02 GMT
#89
A quick note on teching to carriers

Ive done the 1 gateway version into 2 base carriers twice, and won once and lost once with it

Carriers are incredibly cost effective vs most terran armies, as terrans rarely get enough vikings to counter it
The main problem is that during your switch to carriers they take a LONG time to tech and leave a big window of oppourtunity to push against you

The way i did this was going 1 gate 1 stargate and then expanding after my second voidray, then dropping an additional 2 gates to start pumping mass stalker/sentry whilst adding probes
You pretty much are forced to drop the additional 2 gates if you want to defend any kind of terran push once he gets a viking (as then your harass ends) - however the stronger his push NOW, the weaker his later timing attack is
Then you need to drop a robo, and your fleet beacon and start pumping carriers from 2 stargates
THIS is when you are really weakest ihmo because you are living off 3 gate stalker sentry all game and a big marauder push right now spells big trouble for you if he pushes halfway when your carriers are done

Once you got 4 carriers its easygame though, just add additional gates whilst your 4th's are building and then when you push out warp a bunch of stalkers, the terran rarely has 12 vikings to deal with it and also carriers have a biig range so you can focus vikings if you are lucky

Still a rickety transition though

Oh, and never play on lost temple or any droppable natural because you wont be able to defend it (just in standard PVT anyway its an autoloss vs a decent player)
Coil
Profile Joined May 2010
Argentina119 Posts
August 04 2010 15:51 GMT
#90
Yeah, we've trying this with a terran friend, he went thor+ghost vs my stalker contain + vr.

It's tricky, i cannot really harras the ramp against this, because he gets a marauder when my stalker gets there. And later on it will depend on my VR against his thor, 1v1 with SCVs repairing is a no-go, so i have to go into a more harras mode and try to break the front, when i get 2 VRs if i charge both i can burn the thor even with all the scvs repairing... Still tricky, but not particulary as hard as i thought.

We are gonna try practicing against 1-1-1 that doesnt sound a lot more scarier...

On August 04 2010 03:55 Bibdy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2010 03:43 Crosswind wrote:
VRs versus Thors isn't actually as one-sided as one might think.

In particular, I'm pretty sure that a single charged VR will beat a Thor, 1v1. Seeing as Thors are incredibly slow, you should be able to get up to full charge before fighting it.

There's nothing that comes out of a factory that is particularly scary to a VR. The scary bits are vikings and marines.

-Cross


The only time a Thor wins one-on-one is if its getting repaired.

<@Failure> I GOT RIZZIED <@Failure> NO ORDINARY GURL KAE <@Failure> SHE RIZZIE
Jaeger
Profile Joined December 2009
United States1150 Posts
August 04 2010 17:17 GMT
#91
I think it's important, when doing the 2 stalk opening to send a probe up the ramp first, it can either be your 12 scouting probe if you kept it alive or an additional probe you send out before your stalkers finish. Helps deal with early concussive shell, and lets your stalkers abuse their range advantage to get first hits on marines.

For anyone doing the 12gate15gate15core opening, if there is a scv scout in your main do you prefer to kill it before sending your first 2 stalkers to the enemy ramp, wait for your 3rd stalker to clean it up, or just ignore it for long periods of time and what is your reasoning?
https://www.dotabuff.com/players/8137911
RandomBS
Profile Joined July 2010
United States130 Posts
August 04 2010 17:27 GMT
#92
On August 05 2010 02:17 Jaeger wrote:
I think it's important, when doing the 2 stalk opening to send a probe up the ramp first, it can either be your 12 scouting probe if you kept it alive or an additional probe you send out before your stalkers finish. Helps deal with early concussive shell, and lets your stalkers abuse their range advantage to get first hits on marines.

For anyone doing the 12gate15gate15core opening, if there is a scv scout in your main do you prefer to kill it before sending your first 2 stalkers to the enemy ramp, wait for your 3rd stalker to clean it up, or just ignore it for long periods of time and what is your reasoning?


I leave it until I want to throw down the stargate, this way he'll see the constant stalkers and hopefully make more marauders. When I kill the SCV I'll build the stargate and start sending voids to catch him unprepared.
"an intelligent zerg will go 2 hatch, my build was designed to take advantage of that and so lost because he went 3 hatch. going 3 hatch is utterly retarded for the reasons i just explained so yes i did lose because he did something dumb." -idra
StarBrift
Profile Joined January 2008
Sweden1761 Posts
August 04 2010 17:50 GMT
#93
I feel like trying this bu I'm kinda weary as atm most terrans open marauder rush with concussive shells to pressure my ramp. Going only stalker would be insta lose to that as far as I can tell.
quillian
Profile Joined April 2010
United States318 Posts
August 04 2010 20:37 GMT
#94
I will definitely try this out.
How does it play against the increasingly popular mass marine/tank?
bjornkavist
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada1235 Posts
August 04 2010 23:16 GMT
#95
God I love this build Using it in Plat and I haven't lost to Terran yet. I love how flexible it is for such an all in build
https://soundcloud.com/bbols
HeyJude
Profile Joined July 2010
United States157 Posts
August 05 2010 05:36 GMT
#96
What about tanks? My main problem vs Terrans in general is tanks Seems like once he gets even one out I can no longer touch his main.
MangoTango
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States3670 Posts
August 05 2010 06:24 GMT
#97
I came across something like this in my laddering earlier today, and let me say, it's annoying as hell to deal with. I just always seem to have the wrong unit. Grr.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, BLUE TANK!" - Artosis
aintz
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada5624 Posts
August 05 2010 13:22 GMT
#98
On August 05 2010 14:36 HeyJude wrote:
What about tanks? My main problem vs Terrans in general is tanks Seems like once he gets even one out I can no longer touch his main.


void rays will handle that, so will immortals
MasterZilla
Profile Blog Joined November 2003
Sweden234 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-05 19:15:16
August 05 2010 19:14 GMT
#99
I must say that it is impressive how effective the stalker harass is on its own. I started doing this build today (more or less, I do some "gut feeling" adjustments), and I have managed to win to games with the first 4 stalkers alone.

Seems like people are not quite as used to early stalker harass as they were the similar goon harass at the wall in BW.
For Aiur! - If you reach for the stars and miss, you still might end up walking among the clouds.
Snowbear
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)1925 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-05 19:27:01
August 05 2010 19:25 GMT
#100
As a terran doing the 1-1-1 build I would like to ask for some advice. I always lose to some stalkerblinkintoyourbase (like this strat) strat and I am wondering how I can hold it. Stalkers are so fast that they can seriously screw your mineral line very fast. Some protosses add phoenixes and then it's completely over (they lift your tanks).
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11 12 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 30m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 145
-ZergGirl 79
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1637
Hyuk 254
910 73
Yoon 46
Bale 33
ZergMaN 20
NotJumperer 18
yabsab 16
Icarus 11
League of Legends
JimRising 611
Reynor54
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox576
Mew2King68
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor256
Other Games
summit1g7470
WinterStarcraft412
C9.Mang0260
PiGStarcraft236
Sick212
Livibee164
ArmadaUGS47
Happy1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick627
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream222
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2353
League of Legends
• Stunt538
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 30m
Stellar Fest
6h 30m
The PondCast
1d 3h
OSC
1d 6h
Stellar Fest
1d 6h
OSC
1d 17h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
[ Show More ]
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
6 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.