• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:45
CEST 11:45
KST 18:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)34Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8736 users

Secret to stopping Mutas is the Sentry... - Page 5

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
NET
Profile Blog Joined February 2009
United States703 Posts
February 27 2010 10:19 GMT
#81
Quick question, I'm guessing not, but do the sentry force field's stack up?
What about High Templar and/or Archon versus muta? Is it just not cost effective? Is storm now stack-able as well?
"Dark Templar are the saviors of the Protoss Race." -Artosis
StorrZerg
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States13922 Posts
February 27 2010 11:12 GMT
#82
K sentries are great yes, but they aren't that spambable. not to mention if you have 2 bases, mutas can dance back and forth between your bases with ease. You need to get phoenix imo in combination with stalkers and sentries. Phoenix help to engage the mutas to relieve your probe line while your ground army comes.

Hydra into mutas makes going mass sentries very unfavorable since hydras eat sentries alive so fast.
Hwaseung Oz fan for life. Swing out, always swing out.
ComradeDover
Profile Joined November 2009
Bulgaria758 Posts
February 27 2010 12:36 GMT
#83
In spite of all the theorycrafting here, OP has a point. Sentrys are totally underused. There's no excuse for not getting one for after your first 6-8 lots, not matter the matchup.
Bring back 2v2s!
sob3k
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States7572 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-27 13:22:45
February 27 2010 13:21 GMT
#84
On February 27 2010 19:19 NET wrote:
Quick question, I'm guessing not, but do the sentry force field's stack up?
What about High Templar and/or Archon versus muta? Is it just not cost effective? Is storm now stack-able as well?


Spells in sc never ever ever ever stack.

just think how retarded it would be if they did

"oh, I attack you with 100 roaches."
"I activate guardian shield on TEN sentries, giving me TWENTY RANGED ARMOR!"


"oh, I attack you with 10 ultralisks"
"I activate storm on TEN high templar, doing EIGHT HUNDRED DAMAGE!"

think, man
In Hungry Hungry Hippos there are no such constraints—one can constantly attempt to collect marbles with one’s hippo, limited only by one’s hippo-levering capabilities.
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
February 27 2010 13:37 GMT
#85
On February 27 2010 22:21 sob3k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2010 19:19 NET wrote:
Quick question, I'm guessing not, but do the sentry force field's stack up?
What about High Templar and/or Archon versus muta? Is it just not cost effective? Is storm now stack-able as well?


Spells in sc never ever ever ever stack.

just think how retarded it would be if they did

"oh, I attack you with 100 roaches."
"I activate guardian shield on TEN sentries, giving me TWENTY RANGED ARMOR!"


"oh, I attack you with 10 ultralisks"
"I activate storm on TEN high templar, doing EIGHT HUNDRED DAMAGE!"

think, man


"I send down TEN nukes, doing THREE THOUSAND DAMAGE!"

Oh wait that actually works
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
DeCoup
Profile Joined September 2006
Australia1933 Posts
February 27 2010 14:36 GMT
#86
This cuts down the initial blow of the muta from 9 to 7, then the second shot from 3 to 1 and the last shot still doing 1 damage.

This is the only important part of the whole debate.
Forget mass sentry or the cost associated with it. A single sentry protecting a group of stalkers will hold off the mutas just fine. You will probably need closer to 3 tho because they would likely be target attacked by the mutas.
"Poor guy. I really did not deserve that win. So this is what it's like to play Protoss..." - IdrA
SCnai
Profile Joined February 2010
322 Posts
February 27 2010 16:22 GMT
#87
On February 27 2010 07:58 Izzachar wrote:
There is 8 hours of footage on his site.
If you could give date and preferably time I would be very grateful =)


I wrote the comment minutes after the match, so it ends around February 27 2010 04:29 TL time. Translating TL time to Livestream time should not be difficult. Match is worth seeing.
The legend of the fall, which everyone thought was only a dream, is being revived! Carriers, the symbol of Protoss, the hope of a million Protoss fans, are reviving the legend!
getSome[703]
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States753 Posts
February 27 2010 16:36 GMT
#88
On February 27 2010 22:21 sob3k wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2010 19:19 NET wrote:
Quick question, I'm guessing not, but do the sentry force field's stack up?
What about High Templar and/or Archon versus muta? Is it just not cost effective? Is storm now stack-able as well?


Spells in sc never ever ever ever stack.

just think how retarded it would be if they did

"oh, I attack you with 100 roaches."
"I activate guardian shield on TEN sentries, giving me TWENTY RANGED ARMOR!"


"oh, I attack you with 10 ultralisks"
"I activate storm on TEN high templar, doing EIGHT HUNDRED DAMAGE!"

think, man


Well it depends what he means by stacking. Forcefields can overlap and do not have to be placed next to each other perfectly.

Massing sentries is all good, but if your opponent comes at you with unit combinations other than mass muta, you're basically going to have to use force fields to stall for a while in order to buy time to get more units.
Running Log! http://www.runningahead.com/logs/5081b4d7a4a94c5e8fa20b01e668dfb6/calendar
CagedMind
Profile Joined February 2010
United States506 Posts
February 27 2010 17:20 GMT
#89
Seems like only matches I lose are vs muta now =/ just lost a pvz where I killed his expansion. He made some mutas and proceeded to rape. Stalkers + sentry or 2 + cannons = fail. My current theory to pvz is just rush zlots everytime .
your micro has been depleted
Xaanix
Profile Joined October 2009
United States109 Posts
February 27 2010 19:53 GMT
#90
some guy tried to do this to me today (mass sentries vs my mass muta) and (thanks to this thread) i blew up his sentries with banelings. GG
our deeds have traveled far what we have been is what we are - Dream Theater - SFAM
Rothbardian
Profile Joined January 2010
United States497 Posts
February 27 2010 20:17 GMT
#91
On February 27 2010 04:29 SCnai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 26 2010 03:56 Response wrote:
please see my stream before you say phoenix are useless, I guarantee you're just not using them properly or to their full effectiveness, they are great at so many things its ridiculous.


If someone does not believe this, just wait for the replay of Response P vs dayvie Z. Amazing.


Where can I get this? I'd love to watch it.
"A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state." - Isabel Paterson <3
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
February 27 2010 21:08 GMT
#92
What about mass muta/ling ? Sentries won't do well against that
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
SCnai
Profile Joined February 2010
322 Posts
February 27 2010 21:25 GMT
#93
On February 28 2010 05:17 Rothbardian wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2010 04:29 SCnai wrote:
On February 26 2010 03:56 Response wrote:
please see my stream before you say phoenix are useless, I guarantee you're just not using them properly or to their full effectiveness, they are great at so many things its ridiculous.


If someone does not believe this, just wait for the replay of Response P vs dayvie Z. Amazing.


Where can I get this? I'd love to watch it.


I sifted through Response's video archive and found it for ya. Begins around 2:06. Enjoy the pimp play.

http://www.livestream.com/neoresponse/video?clipId=pla_535b5961-1a8b-417a-811a-62dc8d2b1d58
The legend of the fall, which everyone thought was only a dream, is being revived! Carriers, the symbol of Protoss, the hope of a million Protoss fans, are reviving the legend!
SpiritoftheTunA
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States20903 Posts
February 27 2010 21:43 GMT
#94
On February 28 2010 01:36 getSome[703] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 27 2010 22:21 sob3k wrote:
On February 27 2010 19:19 NET wrote:
Quick question, I'm guessing not, but do the sentry force field's stack up?
What about High Templar and/or Archon versus muta? Is it just not cost effective? Is storm now stack-able as well?


Spells in sc never ever ever ever stack.

just think how retarded it would be if they did

"oh, I attack you with 100 roaches."
"I activate guardian shield on TEN sentries, giving me TWENTY RANGED ARMOR!"


"oh, I attack you with 10 ultralisks"
"I activate storm on TEN high templar, doing EIGHT HUNDRED DAMAGE!"

think, man


Well it depends what he means by stacking. Forcefields can overlap and do not have to be placed next to each other perfectly.

Massing sentries is all good, but if your opponent comes at you with unit combinations other than mass muta, you're basically going to have to use force fields to stall for a while in order to buy time to get more units.

yeah its not as if sentries cost more gas than minerals so that minerals would probably be spent on mineral heavy units like zealots or something
posting on liquid sites in current year
Rothbardian
Profile Joined January 2010
United States497 Posts
February 27 2010 21:46 GMT
#95
On February 28 2010 06:25 SCnai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2010 05:17 Rothbardian wrote:
On February 27 2010 04:29 SCnai wrote:
On February 26 2010 03:56 Response wrote:
please see my stream before you say phoenix are useless, I guarantee you're just not using them properly or to their full effectiveness, they are great at so many things its ridiculous.


If someone does not believe this, just wait for the replay of Response P vs dayvie Z. Amazing.


Where can I get this? I'd love to watch it.


I sifted through Response's video archive and found it for ya. Begins around 2:06. Enjoy the pimp play.

http://www.livestream.com/neoresponse/video?clipId=pla_535b5961-1a8b-417a-811a-62dc8d2b1d58


David Kim never had a chance lmao.
"A tax-supported, compulsory educational system is the complete model of the totalitarian state." - Isabel Paterson <3
SpiritoftheTunA
Profile Blog Joined August 2006
United States20903 Posts
February 27 2010 21:48 GMT
#96
On February 28 2010 06:25 SCnai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2010 05:17 Rothbardian wrote:
On February 27 2010 04:29 SCnai wrote:
On February 26 2010 03:56 Response wrote:
please see my stream before you say phoenix are useless, I guarantee you're just not using them properly or to their full effectiveness, they are great at so many things its ridiculous.


If someone does not believe this, just wait for the replay of Response P vs dayvie Z. Amazing.


Where can I get this? I'd love to watch it.


I sifted through Response's video archive and found it for ya. Begins around 2:06. Enjoy the pimp play.

http://www.livestream.com/neoresponse/video?clipId=pla_535b5961-1a8b-417a-811a-62dc8d2b1d58

ohhh 2 hours 6 minutes i kept wondering if the link was wrong
posting on liquid sites in current year
revoN
Profile Joined February 2010
Japan804 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-27 22:23:22
February 27 2010 21:54 GMT
#97
On February 28 2010 06:25 SCnai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2010 05:17 Rothbardian wrote:
On February 27 2010 04:29 SCnai wrote:
On February 26 2010 03:56 Response wrote:
please see my stream before you say phoenix are useless, I guarantee you're just not using them properly or to their full effectiveness, they are great at so many things its ridiculous.


If someone does not believe this, just wait for the replay of Response P vs dayvie Z. Amazing.


Where can I get this? I'd love to watch it.


I sifted through Response's video archive and found it for ya. Begins around 2:06. Enjoy the pimp play.

http://www.livestream.com/neoresponse/video?clipId=pla_535b5961-1a8b-417a-811a-62dc8d2b1d58


Nvm works now.

Really nice use of the Phoenixes.
StarCraft도 Quake도 좋아해요.
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
February 27 2010 22:00 GMT
#98
blargh goddamn stargate builds are so annoying as zerg
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
SCnai
Profile Joined February 2010
322 Posts
February 27 2010 22:04 GMT
#99
On February 28 2010 07:00 Zelniq wrote:
blargh goddamn stargate builds are so annoying as zerg


During the match people were saying on the chat that Phoenix is gonna get nerfed the next day. Funny thing is, they were almost right. Chrono Boost got nerfed, and this build used it heavily to pump Phoenixes quickly from one Stargate.
The legend of the fall, which everyone thought was only a dream, is being revived! Carriers, the symbol of Protoss, the hope of a million Protoss fans, are reviving the legend!
Zelniq
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
United States7166 Posts
February 27 2010 22:09 GMT
#100
uh ..yeah.. as long as you're not implying that they actually implemented a balance change based off of 1 game, especially in 1 day's notice (they dont just go 'lets nerf this' and patch it..obv got to playtest/Q&A test among other things)

unless youre saying it's only a funny coincidence..
ModeratorBlame yourself or God
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 15m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech136
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1172
Bisu 598
BeSt 376
Hyuk 306
actioN 172
Leta 140
EffOrt 131
Zeus 121
ZerO 84
Light 79
[ Show more ]
Soma 76
Horang2 74
Mind 46
Shinee 46
Mong 41
Killer 35
soO 32
Aegong 31
sorry 28
ToSsGirL 26
Bale 22
PianO 19
Terrorterran 13
Sharp 11
ZergMaN 9
HiyA 8
JulyZerg 8
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe161
League of Legends
JimRising 368
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1250
shoxiejesuss683
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King181
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1749
Other Games
gofns29295
summit1g8365
singsing1453
ceh9612
crisheroes296
XBOCT167
DeMusliM141
ArmadaUGS109
Livibee94
ZerO(Twitch)16
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick518
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream237
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH266
• LUISG 13
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2276
League of Legends
• Jankos1873
• Rush1307
• Stunt426
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
15m
OSC
3h 15m
Stellar Fest
3h 15m
OSC
14h 15m
Stellar Fest
1d 3h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.