• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:08
CEST 03:08
KST 10:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8692 users

[M] (4) Khalani Sanctuary

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 3 Next All
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-15 20:30:25
October 16 2012 05:16 GMT
#1
[image loading]

Khalani Sanctuary
(by Travis "Caustic" Willis)

Tileset: Aiur
Map Size: 148x148
Published on: [NA] [EU] [SEA] [KR]
+ Show Spoiler [Publishing Legend] +
Green means the map is live and up-to-date in the region.
Blue means the map is live in the region but on an outdated version.
Red means the map is not published to the region.


(click on images to view larger version)
[image loading]

[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [Version 1.2] +
[image loading]

[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [Version 1.0] +
[image loading]

[image loading]



Changelog:
+ Show Spoiler +

v1.5

Lighting
  • Increased the default Aiur bloom threshold to fix a visual issue with Protoss UI.



v1.4

General
  • Cleaned up imported image to avoid excessive file size
  • Added a new Galaxy eSports loading screen



v1.3

Terrain
  • Increased width of natural ramps
  • Updated cliffs and assets to use Heart of the Swarm aesthetics
General
  • Updated map to use Heart of the Swarm dependencies



v1.2

Balance
  • Increased width of ramps to high-ground middle bases in response to immortal/sentry all-ins
  • Altered destructible rocks near low-ground middle bases to allow better army movement and harassment opportunity
  • Added line of sight blockers to key positions on the map
Terrain
  • Adjusted low-ground middle bases to be more aesthetically pleasing
  • Adjusted main base cliffs to look more natural
  • Map has undergone a complete aesthetic overhaul, with improved texturing, completely-redone doodads and altered lighting
General
  • Added new Battle.net map info features, including patch notes and screenshots
  • Replaced neutral lowered supply depots with new neutral unit: unbuildable bricks (destructible)
  • Updated map name from "Khalani Sanctuary" to "Galaxy - Khalani Sanctuary" to make it easier to search for Galaxy eSports maps on Battle.net



v1.1

Balance
  • Added neutral supply depots at the bottom of main base ramps, per tournament standard



v1.0

General
  • Initial release





Introduction / Map Concept:

I wanted to make a 4 player rotational map that allowed all spawns, wasn't as overly large as current 4p rotational maps like Whirlwind, and still allowed varied strategies in all spawns (e.g. no "oop, horizontal spawns, I guess I have to 2-base all-in" shenanigans -- though you're free to do so if you wish).

Nothing mind-blowingly innovative, just a good, solid 4p map with all spawns enabled and reasonable rush distances. Surprisingly rare to find, so I figured I'd make one.

+ Show Spoiler [Obsolete as of v1.2] +
Probably the one neat little feature I like is the destructible rocks at the low-ground thirds. These both serve to help protect that base from/delay early pushes, as well as segregate the map into quadrants, connected by the centre portion of the map. To access additional resources (likely to be 4th base in close position, 5th base in cross), you'll have to break these rocks down yourself to open up the map.




Community Response Highlights:

+ Show Spoiler [Plexa, admin staff for teamliquid.net] +
On October 16 2012 19:36 Plexa wrote:
I like this map. I think you've done a really good job at creating a very playable map. I will try and get some games in on it over the next few days.
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2012 15:14 a176 wrote:
i would have liked to see some bases scattered more inwards of the map rather than everything on the perimeter, to create a sense of increasing map control for the player. im assuming that youre assuming that people will expand past the rocks to get their fourth, but because the 2 bases after the nat are so close, theres really very little risk in taking all 4 bases in the corner.

I disagree. This map isn't about interesting expansion dynamics, it's just about solid strong standard play. This is more like an Ohana rather than a Cloud Kingdom, if you catch my drift. Not every map needs to have interesting expansion layouts, and this is one case where it isn't necessary for good and interesting gameplay. With that said, if every map was safe and boring then the map scene would be very very stale but there is a place for well made 'boring' maps.


+ Show Spoiler [FlaShFTW, King of Third Bases on TL] +
On October 19 2012 07:17 FlaShFTW wrote:
this map is solid and very nice. these kinds of 4p rotational are what really make me smile. because they have that optional 3rd that really works.

+ Show Spoiler [Gfire, mapmaker for ESV] +
On November 06 2012 06:43 Gfire wrote:
Seems pretty good. The proportions and ramp sizes in the middle sections might be a bit constricting. Here and there maybe a minor adjustment in proportioning would be good, but the map's pretty nice. It's got an interesting structure but it's pretty solid.

+ Show Spoiler [IronManSC, creator of Ohana] +
On February 21 2013 16:10 IronManSC wrote:
It's like a mixture of Sanctuarium and Whirlwind.. good alterations, and a nice clean map!

+ Show Spoiler [lorestarcraft, fellow Galaxy mapper] +
On February 24 2013 03:21 lorestarcraft wrote:
Well, I just want to say that as I play this map more, the thing that strikes me is that I can play almost any style in any position, which really gives me the ability to play re-actively and pro-actively. This is the strength of a good, standard map. To have this feature in an all spawns 4 player map, is just great.

This map does what it wants to do!




About Galaxy eSports:
We're an organization focused on helping build the SC2 mapmaking and North American competitive scenes. Follow us and keep up with our progress!

Twitter: @galaxyesports
Facebook: http://facebook.com/galaxyesports
Website: http://galaxyesports.com

Contact the mapmaker by email at caustic [at] galaxyesports [dot] com
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Qwyn
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States2781 Posts
October 16 2012 05:25 GMT
#2
I like the choice of thirds. The layout seems to work pretty well for horizontal spawns. As a Zerg I'd be pretty pizzazzed if I got cross-spawns .
"Think of the hysteria following the realization that they consciously consume babies and raise the dead people from their graves" - N0
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
October 16 2012 05:30 GMT
#3
On October 16 2012 14:25 Qwyn wrote:
I like the choice of thirds. The layout seems to work pretty well for horizontal spawns. As a Zerg I'd be pretty pizzazzed if I got cross-spawns .

There's only a difference of 5 seconds as the drone flies between close position and cross position nat-to-nat distance. I think it'll good no matter where you spawn -- I made it to be so, so it better be!
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Coppermantis
Profile Joined June 2012
United States845 Posts
October 16 2012 05:43 GMT
#4
Looks like a good map. The thirds are as Qwyn said pretty nice in how I can choose which one I want to take, and each option seems tactically sound.

Aesthetics are nice.
-NegativeZero-
Profile Joined August 2011
United States2142 Posts
October 16 2012 06:02 GMT
#5
Basically a cross between Whirlwind (outer part) and Tal'Darim Altar (center)?
vibeo gane,
lorestarcraft
Profile Joined April 2011
United States1049 Posts
October 16 2012 06:03 GMT
#6
This map is the best 4 player map I have seen in a loong time.
SC2 Mapmaker
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
October 16 2012 06:06 GMT
#7
On October 16 2012 15:02 -NegativeZero- wrote:
Basically a cross between Whirlwind (outer part) and Tal'Darim Altar (center)?

The centre is definitely Tal'Darim Altar-inspired, but the outer part just sort of worked out that way. I guess you could say it's similar to Whirlwind.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
October 16 2012 06:14 GMT
#8
i would have liked to see some bases scattered more inwards of the map rather than everything on the perimeter, to create a sense of increasing map control for the player. im assuming that youre assuming that people will expand past the rocks to get their fourth, but because the 2 bases after the nat are so close, theres really very little risk in taking all 4 bases in the corner.
starleague forever
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
October 16 2012 06:26 GMT
#9
On October 16 2012 15:14 a176 wrote:
i would have liked to see some bases scattered more inwards of the map rather than everything on the perimeter, to create a sense of increasing map control for the player. im assuming that youre assuming that people will expand past the rocks to get their fourth, but because the 2 bases after the nat are so close, theres really very little risk in taking all 4 bases in the corner.

In cross position there is little risk, I agree, but I don't see that as being a flaw; cross position tends to be more macro-oriented on any 4p map. However, in close positions that will likely be a poor idea just due to the increasingly shorter reinforcement distance for your opponent.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-16 07:55:49
October 16 2012 07:49 GMT
#10
Nice work. I am stupefied this fits inside 148x148. I guess I am seeing the proportions a little wrong (it is cozier than it appears). All the same, this map should replace Antiga straight away. As you say, surprisingly rare to find a solid 4p rotational that isn't essentially XY mirror with curvy main/nat.

edit: but I want a better name, too sing-songy. pick something else from here: protoss words. don't mind me.

edit #2: btw I'm serious about that Antiga comment. Does anyone else want to email some tournament organizers exhorting them to swap out and announce it? If a body of us speak united it will send a message, even if it doesn't work the first time. If there are serious concerns that this map shouldn't be played on let's discuss it.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-16 08:19:41
October 16 2012 08:17 GMT
#11
Map is pretty great. I agree w/ the best 4p-map-in-a-while comment.

I hear where you're coming from a176 @ more bases in the middle (I am a huge supporter of this for 2p maps, as almost everyone seems to shy away from it and just puts their bases on the edges) but for 4p maps I think it's really hard to balance. Either the base is impossible to take/a winner's base, or you have 2 bases that are practically right next to each other, or some other problem. I'm trying to think of 4p maps that successfully do it, the only map I can think of that sooort of does it is Entombed, but that's even a stretch.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
October 16 2012 09:04 GMT
#12
On October 16 2012 16:49 EatThePath wrote:
Nice work. I am stupefied this fits inside 148x148. I guess I am seeing the proportions a little wrong (it is cozier than it appears). All the same, this map should replace Antiga straight away. As you say, surprisingly rare to find a solid 4p rotational that isn't essentially XY mirror with curvy main/nat.

edit: but I want a better name, too sing-songy. pick something else from here: protoss words. don't mind me.

edit #2: btw I'm serious about that Antiga comment. Does anyone else want to email some tournament organizers exhorting them to swap out and announce it? If a body of us speak united it will send a message, even if it doesn't work the first time. If there are serious concerns that this map shouldn't be played on let's discuss it.

It's amazing what you can fit in a 148x148 map as long as you're efficient enough with the space. If anyone remembers Crevasse, that map was also 148x148. I apologize for any blown minds.

Anywho, I have to admit I'd be pretty ecstatic if people took the time to contact tournament organizers to get this map into their pools. Would also help if people upvoted the Reddit thread in order to get some additional exposure.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-16 10:41:59
October 16 2012 10:36 GMT
#13
I like this map. I think you've done a really good job at creating a very playable map. I will try and get some games in on it over the next few days.
On October 16 2012 15:14 a176 wrote:
i would have liked to see some bases scattered more inwards of the map rather than everything on the perimeter, to create a sense of increasing map control for the player. im assuming that youre assuming that people will expand past the rocks to get their fourth, but because the 2 bases after the nat are so close, theres really very little risk in taking all 4 bases in the corner.

I disagree. This map isn't about interesting expansion dynamics, it's just about solid strong standard play. This is more like an Ohana rather than a Cloud Kingdom, if you catch my drift. Not every map needs to have interesting expansion layouts, and this is one case where it isn't necessary for good and interesting gameplay. With that said, if every map was safe and boring then the map scene would be very very stale but there is a place for well made 'boring' maps.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Shkudde
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands709 Posts
October 16 2012 10:39 GMT
#14
Upvoted on Reddit as per your request
Can someone upload this on EU?
I normally never play customs but this map looks like too much fun not to.
$O$ | herO[jOin] | Zest hwaiting!
Greenhit
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States200 Posts
October 16 2012 10:57 GMT
#15
This map looks great! Awesome work
"And where do you live Simon?" "In the weak and the wounded, Doc."
Brainiac_Br
Profile Joined December 2011
Brazil14 Posts
October 16 2012 13:41 GMT
#16
Awesome map, pretty much macro oriented, remembers Tal'Darim, but more enjoyable (TDA is a vetoe for me).

But what i liked most is the strange feeling that i'm looking a old style BW map :3
=D
Archvil3
Profile Joined September 2010
Denmark989 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-16 16:27:15
October 16 2012 16:26 GMT
#17
You didnt happen to browse old map threads for inspiration? I mean, if not, this is quite the funny coinsidence!
Let thy speech be better than silence, or be silent.
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-16 17:31:48
October 16 2012 17:26 GMT
#18
On October 17 2012 01:26 Archvil3 wrote:
You didnt happen to browse old map threads for inspiration? I mean, if not, this is quite the funny coinsidence!

Ahaha that is quite a coincidence! I actually got name inspiration by browsing random lore and wiki sites to get some words from Protoss-related lore. Ended up landing on the word "Khalani", and the rest is history.

On October 16 2012 22:41 Brainiac_Br wrote:
Awesome map, pretty much macro oriented, remembers Tal'Darim, but more enjoyable (TDA is a vetoe for me).

But what i liked most is the strange feeling that i'm looking a old style BW map :3

I wanted the map to have a similar feeling to the old BW Aiur maps, so I'm glad you got this feeling.

On October 16 2012 19:39 Shkudde wrote:
Upvoted on Reddit as per your request
Can someone upload this on EU?
I normally never play customs but this map looks like too much fun not to.

I really need to get at least an EU account, if not an EU and KR... If someone reputable would like to volunteer to host this map on EU, feel free to send me a PM! I'm happy that there's interest in playing this map outside of NA.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-18 04:21:11
October 18 2012 04:20 GMT
#19
Update bump! I've made a small update to the map to include the tournament-standard neutral supply depots. With comments about people wanting this to replace maps like Antiga Shipyard in tournaments, I may as well have it ready to do so.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Zerg.Zilla
Profile Joined February 2012
Hungary5029 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-10-18 06:42:16
October 18 2012 05:06 GMT
#20
Someone should upload this map on EU server...it looks awesome.Wanna give it a try.
(•_•) ( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■) ~Keep calm and inject Larva~
1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings84
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1847
GuemChi 1601
Artosis 672
910 58
Bale 19
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm155
League of Legends
Doublelift3550
Counter-Strike
taco 132
minikerr3
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox307
Other Games
summit1g7578
shahzam619
JimRising 535
C9.Mang0343
PiGStarcraft277
Maynarde140
CosmosSc2 37
Day[9].tv7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick918
BasetradeTV193
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream15
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 117
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP80
• davetesta24
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Day9tv7
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
8h 53m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
9h 53m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
22h 53m
Patches Events
1d 14h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.