• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:06
CEST 11:06
KST 18:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5983 users

[SC2B] Battle.net - 1 Step Forward, 2.0 Steps Back - Page 2

Forum Index > News
204 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Spook
Profile Joined May 2005
Romania72 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 16:49:13
February 24 2010 16:48 GMT
#21
Blizzard should really learn from S2 Games and the improvements they came up with for their online interface in HoN, which included an excellent chatting system, possibility of reconnection after dropping and even more options when viewing replays
zeox
Profile Joined November 2007
Norway314 Posts
February 24 2010 16:50 GMT
#22
Keep in mind that we have no idea what the currently greyed-out Social button might contain. Wouldn't be surprised if there was a chat-channel system in there.

Good read though, I agree with most of it. Hoping that blizzard will see this and atleast take it into consideration
themineralpatch.com -- twitter.com/inged
FreshNoThyme
Profile Joined March 2008
United States356 Posts
February 24 2010 16:53 GMT
#23
Uh, yeah, I think it is common sense that chat channels will be implemented. I'm confused as to why this is such a big issue at the moment. Obviously, they aren't going to release a game without them.
Mr.Pyro
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Denmark959 Posts
February 24 2010 16:55 GMT
#24
No worries, i'm sure that greyed out social tab is there for a reason!
P⊧[1]<a>[2]<a>[3]<a>tt | P ≝ 1.a.2.a.3.a.P
bmml
Profile Joined December 2009
United Kingdom962 Posts
February 24 2010 16:56 GMT
#25
I only agree with the chatrooms and replays and afaik due to all the complaints on their forums chatrooms will probably be in on release, I actually prefer the division based ranking - as someone who isn't anywhere near the top of the SC crème de la crème I couldn't care less that im 1 millionth in the world, being xth of the y division gives me something close and achievable rather than some high up distant and the idea that there will be automated tournaments with other people from my rank level is great. However I hope that the post release "pro" division championships will be more transparent and hopefully they will enable some sort of observing for the top division's championship games.

Maybe thats just because I'm used to finding scrims etc on IRC as I wasn't that active in broodwar rather than the channels on bnet / the abyss.
carwashguy
Profile Joined June 2009
United States175 Posts
February 24 2010 16:59 GMT
#26
"Implementing a basic chat lobby to fill the gap until whatever it is you have planned is ready, would make everyone happier." They know that as soon as they do that, even if it's temporary, there's going to be huge backlash when they swap it out for something different. And it does take man hours to implement that: hours that they could invest into more enduring features. So the fact is that what they said at Blizzcon about something better than chat channels is indeed relevant.

On wanting to know where you stand sever wide, assuming you're assigned divisions at random, your rank in your division should tell you more or less where you stand server wide. If you're ranked 50th, that should mean you're better than about 50% of all players on, say, Gold. Although, knowing my "true rank" out of millions of players would be interesting. A compromise could be implementing the same thing that Tetrisfriends.com does. They tell you your percentile straight up (comparing your high score to others). That info would be even more interesting. (Ranking out of millions doesn't tell me much, but knowing I'm in the 75th percentile tells me a great deal.)
frequency
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Australia1901 Posts
February 24 2010 17:03 GMT
#27
Agreed with lots of that, I played WC3 for years before ever playing Starcraft, and when I saw you were able to watch replays with other people I thought "Why the hell isnt this in WC3?!?!"

But remember, its only been out for a week - if its all the same in 3 months time, then I'm sure everyone will start to get pissed off.
www.twitter.com/marconofrio | marconofrio.tumblr.com
Scourge
Profile Joined December 2009
Romania14 Posts
February 24 2010 17:16 GMT
#28
On February 25 2010 01:19 Kaniol wrote:
I absolutely agree, no chat channels (as well as online replays) is just such a nonsense, i just don't see a reason why did they take step back, if they implemented these features in SC1/Bnet1.0 then why can't they do the same now? :|

cause a change dosent mean all stuffs+new one means new thinks wich can have no relate to the original ones
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 17:19:15
February 24 2010 17:16 GMT
#29
On February 25 2010 01:18 damenmofa wrote:
agree with you completely, although the inactivated "channels" tab seems to be what ur looking for when it comes to chatting. I dont see anything hinting at online replays being implemented though and that really sucks huge monkey balls. Its really shitty to be like "omg I just beat XYZ in this epic game, you gotta watch this... oh nvm 8[". Sending the replay via email or icq and then timing the replay start together to be able to have a somewhat similar experience is obviously a crappy solution.
One more thing Id like to add that you didnt mention: Why on earth is voice chat deactivated in custom games? Its totally bollocks if you play a casual 1on1 just to test things out or smth against a friend whom youve invited to your party and then when ur ingame playing against each other, voice chat is automatically deactivated.

Ahhh, where's that channels tab? I haven't seen it. If they do have that, it would take care of my biggest criticism.

On February 25 2010 01:53 RANDOMCL wrote:
Uh, yeah, I think it is common sense that chat channels will be implemented. I'm confused as to why this is such a big issue at the moment. Obviously, they aren't going to release a game without them.

You realize, of course, that they said at Blizzcon that there would be no chat channels for the game at launch? Like, they said literally just that. I even linked to a post about it.

On February 25 2010 01:56 bmml wrote:
I only agree with the chatrooms and replays and afaik due to all the complaints on their forums chatrooms will probably be in on release, I actually prefer the division based ranking - as someone who isn't anywhere near the top of the SC crème de la crème I couldn't care less that im 1 millionth in the world, being xth of the y division gives me something close and achievable rather than some high up distant and the idea that there will be automated tournaments with other people from my rank level is great. However I hope that the post release "pro" division championships will be more transparent and hopefully they will enable some sort of observing for the top division's championship games.

Maybe thats just because I'm used to finding scrims etc on IRC as I wasn't that active in broodwar rather than the channels on bnet / the abyss.

But you can still have division rankings, you just have to have an overall ranking as well.

For instance, let's say I'm #10 in divsion 3, then if I click "Overall rankings" I'd see that hey - I'm #80 ovrerall. Or whatever.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
SoleSteeler
Profile Joined April 2003
Canada5472 Posts
February 24 2010 17:16 GMT
#30
Keep in mind that Blizzard specifically said at Blizzcon there wouldn't be chat channels at release. That was a while ago at least, but let's hope they change their minds now. I really do feel alone on Bnet as it is. :/
crate
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States2474 Posts
February 24 2010 17:19 GMT
#31
On February 25 2010 01:20 oberon wrote:
Umm...race-picking wouldn't work. Let's say you pick ZvP, ZvT, TvZ. Your opponent picks ZvZ, PvT, PvP.

Now what?

--oberon

You need to specify a race vs. random too. I think that in the absence of otherwise agreeable matchups it just sticks both players with their vs. random race.

This seems fine to me.
We did. You did. Yes we can. No. || http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/crate.html || twitch.tv/crate3333
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 17:20:58
February 24 2010 17:20 GMT
#32
On February 25 2010 01:20 oberon wrote:
Umm...race-picking wouldn't work. Let's say you pick ZvP, ZvT, TvZ. Your opponent picks ZvZ, PvT, PvP.

Now what?

--oberon

You both default to your vs Random choice.

So the ZvP ZvT TvZ guy probably is ZvP ZvT TvZ ZvR, the ZvZ, PvT, PvP guy probably is PvR.
EDIT: What crate said, at the same time as me

On February 25 2010 01:40 MrMoose wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2010 01:05 FrozenArbiter wrote:
But - and this is a big but -


I like big buts.

I'm glad someone noticed
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
Islandsnake
Profile Joined April 2009
United States679 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 17:34:03
February 24 2010 17:24 GMT
#33
I think this shoulda came out after all the battle.net features were unlocked in the beta -- but I guess its good to make it clear we want channels...

And I don't see why in a ladder situation you should be able to pick and choose your matchups... if you play zerg you shouldn't get a scape goat on your worst matchup its a random ladder with random maps and players...not iccup. I didn't get this option in war3 and I wouldn't want it.

I wish I could watch replays with friends >< I really do hope they figure that out.

Bang!
diehilde
Profile Joined September 2008
Germany1596 Posts
February 24 2010 17:25 GMT
#34
On February 25 2010 02:16 FrozenArbiter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2010 01:18 damenmofa wrote:
agree with you completely, although the inactivated "channels" tab seems to be what ur looking for when it comes to chatting. I dont see anything hinting at online replays being implemented though and that really sucks huge monkey balls. Its really shitty to be like "omg I just beat XYZ in this epic game, you gotta watch this... oh nvm 8[". Sending the replay via email or icq and then timing the replay start together to be able to have a somewhat similar experience is obviously a crappy solution.
One more thing Id like to add that you didnt mention: Why on earth is voice chat deactivated in custom games? Its totally bollocks if you play a casual 1on1 just to test things out or smth against a friend whom youve invited to your party and then when ur ingame playing against each other, voice chat is automatically deactivated.

Ahhh, where's that channels tab? I haven't seen it. If they do have that, it would take care of my biggest criticism.

Show nested quote +
On February 25 2010 01:53 RANDOMCL wrote:
Uh, yeah, I think it is common sense that chat channels will be implemented. I'm confused as to why this is such a big issue at the moment. Obviously, they aren't going to release a game without them.

You realize, of course, that they said at Blizzcon that there would be no chat channels for the game at launch? Like, they said literally just that. I even linked to a post about it.

Show nested quote +
On February 25 2010 01:56 bmml wrote:
I only agree with the chatrooms and replays and afaik due to all the complaints on their forums chatrooms will probably be in on release, I actually prefer the division based ranking - as someone who isn't anywhere near the top of the SC crème de la crème I couldn't care less that im 1 millionth in the world, being xth of the y division gives me something close and achievable rather than some high up distant and the idea that there will be automated tournaments with other people from my rank level is great. However I hope that the post release "pro" division championships will be more transparent and hopefully they will enable some sort of observing for the top division's championship games.

Maybe thats just because I'm used to finding scrims etc on IRC as I wasn't that active in broodwar rather than the channels on bnet / the abyss.

But you can still have division rankings, you just have to have an overall ranking as well.

For instance, let's say I'm #10 in divsion 3, then if I click "Overall rankings" I'd see that hey - I'm #80 ovrerall. Or whatever.

oopsie, meant the social tab. I just naturely assumed it would have channels and it was such a given to have channels for me that I apparently renamed it to "channels" in my mind. Now that Ive followed your link and read they said they wouldnt implement it for retail im pretty much blown away by their idiocy. I cant understand how you can come up with an awesome game like SC2, where you put ages of development time into and then totally fail at basic Interface shit that has been standard since a long time. So far that makes the following features not being available _at shipping date_ (from various interviews):

Customizable Hotkeys
Online Replays
Chat Channels

Honestly, even one of these features not being in a RTS retailing 2010 would be a huge WTF for me, but if they really go through and implement none of these.... No, I cant put into words how that would make me feel t.t
Savior: "I will cheat everyone again in SC2!" - SCII Beta Tester
MannerMan
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
371 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 17:29:34
February 24 2010 17:29 GMT
#35
I'd be incredibly amazed if you couldn't watch replays with friends in SC2.

I really hope they fix that.
Nytefish
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United Kingdom4282 Posts
February 24 2010 17:29 GMT
#36
Blizzard don't even understand in the slightest what made their own games so enjoyable/successful, this is so stupid.
No I'm never serious.
Liquid`Jinro
Profile Blog Joined September 2002
Sweden33719 Posts
February 24 2010 17:29 GMT
#37
They know that as soon as they do that, even if it's temporary, there's going to be huge backlash when they swap it out for something different. And it does take man hours to implement that: hours that they could invest into more enduring features. So the fact is that what they said at Blizzcon about something better than chat channels is indeed relevant.

As opposed to the huge backlash they are going to get at release when there's no chat channels and no substitute? I mean, if what they have planned is so great, then I'd much rather take the backlash when they replace channels, rather than suffer the negativity of saying "oh, well, we have nothing but just you wait! In a few months..."

At least when they come out with something better to replace channels, they can call it an upgrade.
Moderatortell the guy that interplanatar interaction is pivotal to terrans variety of optionitudals in the pre-midgame preperatories as well as the protosstinal deterriggation of elite zergling strikes - Stimey n | Formerly FrozenArbiter
bmml
Profile Joined December 2009
United Kingdom962 Posts
February 24 2010 17:37 GMT
#38
On February 25 2010 02:16 FrozenArbiter wrote:
For instance, let's say I'm #10 in divsion 3, then if I click "Overall rankings" I'd see that hey - I'm #80 ovrerall. Or whatever.



Well I imagine that is the kinda small easily fixed change they can make in the beta

at least I hope it is ;p.
zeppelin
Profile Joined December 2007
United States565 Posts
February 24 2010 17:39 GMT
#39
good writeup FA - one more thing about replays that I would add (which I would assume or at least hope is coming) is a bwchart-like view of the game before you even select the replay. Right now all you see is the players and the map. Why not show before you even loaded the game all the unit/building/resource/economy/apm stats like bwchart? Why not show you your overall player stats like average apm, # of games against each matchup, your most common builds, etc. like bwchart?
valleyatsc
Profile Joined September 2009
4 Posts
February 24 2010 17:44 GMT
#40
lol! go play the game! go play for free man! YOU PLAY FOR FREE and i cant play at all! so wait for fucking release with social complain
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 55m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 202
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1142
Bisu 747
Soma 172
hero 168
HiyA 104
EffOrt 65
sorry 36
ZerO 32
Mong 31
Killer 28
[ Show more ]
Bale 22
Pusan 20
Sharp 17
Noble 11
Terrorterran 11
JulyZerg 9
League of Legends
JimRising 465
Counter-Strike
edward18
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft822
crisheroes354
Other Games
gofns22426
olofmeister1040
singsing918
ceh9542
Livibee242
Pyrionflax97
ArmadaUGS42
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream544
Other Games
gamesdonequick535
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 16
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH349
• StrangeGG 29
• LUISG 13
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2408
League of Legends
• Jankos1636
• Rush1117
• Lourlo942
• Stunt440
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
55m
Afreeca Starleague
55m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
14h 55m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 1h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.