• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:56
CEST 18:56
KST 01:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
Updated Continental Flags System & New Global Flag StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8250 users

[SC2B] Battle.net - 1 Step Forward, 2.0 Steps Back - Page 4

Forum Index > News
204 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 Next All
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
February 24 2010 18:58 GMT
#61
On February 25 2010 03:51 RANDOMCL wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 25 2010 02:16 FrozenArbiter wrote:
On February 25 2010 01:53 RANDOMCL wrote:
Uh, yeah, I think it is common sense that chat channels will be implemented. I'm confused as to why this is such a big issue at the moment. Obviously, they aren't going to release a game without them.

You realize, of course, that they said at Blizzcon that there would be no chat channels for the game at launch? Like, they said literally just that. I even linked to a post about it.

.


You make it sound like you're the only one following the game. Your post links to information saying that the traditional chat channels won't be there, but:

"Because we have something much bigger planned, chat channels are messy".

It is common sense that there is going to a way to mass communicate with people. Maybe it won't be called a "channel", but it is ridiculous to think they won't allow players to communicate with ease.

You are going off what Blizzard says as fact, right? "You realize, of course, that they said at Blizzcon that there would be no chat channels for the game at launch?" So, you managed to take half of what they said, and misconstrue it. You are part of the reason people are getting so much false information. If such an article, loaded with misinformation, is allowed to be posted on the front page of the premier foreign SC site, what does that say?

Just stop, breathe, and think. Blizzard has already promised an alternative. It is confirmed in your own post.
I'm sorry but FA is voicing some pretty serious concerns. I don't care what blizzard has planned, I'm only concerned with what they are showing us at the moment. Look at WC3 for instance, they still don't have communal replays - despite it being planned! I don't see any misinformation in FA's post, he's simply pointing out the flaws of what has been presented with us. With the vast number of users on this forum agreeing with the concerns raised, I would wager that these concerns are definitely valid and important.

Basically, until I see this "better than chat channels" alternative there is no reason for me to beleive that we are going to see anything.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Synwave
Profile Joined July 2009
United States2803 Posts
February 24 2010 19:00 GMT
#62
No chat channels makes me a sad panda.
I actually formed a years long friendship from a sc1 chat channel. Considering none of my friends are into rts's anymore I would look forward to finding a few cool people into the same thing by hanging in a channel.
To be honest if they don't implement a chat channel I can't see playing this game more than 6 months to a year. Playing random people and laddering is all well and good but its very hard to casually stick to a game much longer when the social aspect of it is so entirely lacking.
Honestly I can't understand why blizz would not want chat channels in b.net it makes no sense. People that want to randomly socialize will use them, people that don't wont. Does excluding a chat aspect have an upside worth alienating the nerds that like to chat and set up fun observer games between each other while taking a break from the ladder?
I can't think of any "upside" to this decision.

Also not having basic commands like /r+tab to quickly cycle through the last few whisper recipients just seems like so much fail. The company wants to make b.net a huge social networking thing with an easy lead in to e-sports and they forget to put in some fundamental chat commands? hah Im sure it will be fixed but its humorous seeing such basic things missing at this point. Maybe they should pull in a few wow programmers to implement what is basically a requirement for any social gaming environment ie smooth social interaction tools.

Your article hits the nail on the head imo.
♞Nerdrage is the cause of global warming♞
XsebT
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Denmark2980 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 19:07:38
February 24 2010 19:07 GMT
#63
I totally agree on all aspects of this article. The social part of battle.net 1 was amazing, where battle.net 2 sounds like... almost isolation... and that's no good for me.
화이팅
djWHEAT
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States925 Posts
February 24 2010 19:10 GMT
#64
*CLAP* Not much that can be added. I really hope many of the missing features are due to this being a BETA. One of my biggest complaints is when I goto my friends list (under ladders) and say I want more information on "Player X"... when I click his/her name there's no logical way to go back. Which means you have to repeat the process all over again (similar to what you mentioned about a lack of whisper).

And what's with the gimped Friends List? How can it be that when I add someone it doesn't notify them that I'd like to add them.
OneMoreGame.tv // Weapon Of Choice // Kings Of Tin // Inside The Game // Live On Three
Sansucal
Profile Joined October 2007
Germany259 Posts
February 24 2010 19:15 GMT
#65
No chat lobby?
No collective replay watching?

wtf?











srsly wtf?
diehilde
Profile Joined September 2008
Germany1596 Posts
February 24 2010 19:17 GMT
#66
what also bothers me it that there hasnt even been a SINGLE blue post in neither the Bug report, nor the Suggestions/Balance forum. They could at least post their plans on how to communicate with the testers.
Savior: "I will cheat everyone again in SC2!" - SCII Beta Tester
edahl
Profile Joined February 2008
Norway483 Posts
February 24 2010 19:19 GMT
#67
Man, Blizzard should be ADDING features, like streaming games like reps like they do on iCCup, not removing them.
Volshok
Profile Joined August 2008
United States349 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 19:25:03
February 24 2010 19:20 GMT
#68
I didn't realize these huge faults.

I'm not going to provide the classic ultimatum of; 'I refuse to buy the game if chat rooms and online replays aren't in the retail release!!!!!". However, I view this decision by Blizzard as gross negligence. How can they build requirements for Bnet 2.0 and NOT include chat rooms? Did the people building Bnet 2.0 even use the original? Did they talk to their user base? I guess operating assumptions are that brand loyalty overpowers usability testing. Fucking cute, you going to give us some Ubisoft DRM with SC2 as well? Oh wait...

Perhaps I'm blowing everything out of proportion, but this is absurd to me. New Bnet 2.0 is so shiny and pretty, hurray! Broodwar's user base has continuously played the game for over a decade, do you honestly think we give a fuck about graphics? Functionality should have been concern #1.

With the exception of Steam I have yet to find a gaming network (Games for Windows Life, Rockstar Social Network, etc) that trumps Bnet 1.0. If this keeps up looks like I can add Bnet 2.0 to the Games for Windows Live group; bloated, worthless, obnoxious pieces of trash that a 14 year old gamer (quite literally) could have done a better job writing product requirements for.

Wow, didn't realize how angry I was about this until I started typing. I really hope I have to eat my words.
TLDR: Dear Blizzard please don't remove existing functionality while updating battle.net.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=123657
RippingFlesh
Profile Joined April 2006
Canada22 Posts
February 24 2010 19:32 GMT
#69
Blizzard has taken a Google approach. The difference is that they failed at it. To me, it's just web cloud bullshit.
"The things you own, end up owning you." — Tyler Durden
TeabagInsurance
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada320 Posts
February 24 2010 19:40 GMT
#70
Thanks for the update. Really disappointed about no chat rooms, but I really like the accurate matchmaking though.
Tired of getting teabagged? Get your teabag insurance today!
rugmonkey
Profile Joined August 2009
United Kingdom126 Posts
February 24 2010 19:49 GMT
#71
No chat rooms?!?!
funkiwi
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany4 Posts
February 24 2010 20:13 GMT
#72
Read is ok ...

But all the features are in the first beta version not implemented ... Chatrooms are comming and I think the customt games will be better in the future ...

imo an useless news
We will generate a password and send it to this email address, we will NOT spam or sell it.
teapot
Profile Joined October 2007
United Kingdom266 Posts
February 24 2010 20:17 GMT
#73
It also needs an inbuilt WaaaaaghTV.

Why can we chat over encoded video streams, but not have it in the actual game itself???

This was something I was really hoping for.

I suppose this could hit 2 birds with one stone as you could also use it for online replays.
Ota Solgryn
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Denmark2011 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 20:25:14
February 24 2010 20:24 GMT
#74
Wow, the OP is so negative towards blizzards ability, or will, to fix these issues, that it is ridiculous. They have pulled through on so many issues, why would they not do this on e.g. the missing global chat.

I mean, do you really, really believe there won't be a global chat thing? Do you really believe blizzard are not currently working on it and that it has therefore not been released yet. Like they want you to be lonely.

It is fine to discuss things that are missing and there are good points, but the OP is just so negative it takes away all focus from the issues at hand.

This, basically:
On February 25 2010 05:13 funkiwi wrote:
Read is ok ...

But all the features are in the first beta version not implemented ... Chatrooms are comming and I think the customt games will be better in the future ...

imo an useless news

ihasaKAROT: "Wish people would stop wasting their lives on finding flaws in others"
starcraft911
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Korea (South)1263 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-02-24 20:27:12
February 24 2010 20:25 GMT
#75
I highly doubt they will add a race picking feature, but if they did I would probably play all of the mirrors. I've always been very good at mirrors and slightly less so at TvP and ZvT.

As far as "rankings" go I think it's worth pointing out that the ladders hosted by a game company have NEVER been an accurate reading of skill in the community. I finished 7th in season 2 of vanilla ladder and if you were around back then you know how tough it was to sit in the top 10 because probably 80 of the top 100 were win swapping or padding their stats by playing only noobs. Sure they banned 'some' of them, but lots of names that should have been banned weren't. I think we will still need some form of private ladder to be honest because there's no way blizzard will maintain it as well as the community will.

My only gripe is that i can't watch reps with friends... This was a huge part of SC1 for me. Any time someone would have a realyl good game or had a problem we would pile into a game and watch the rep and have fun or give advice... huge part of my SC1 experience right there and that sucks I can't do that in SC2 (yet)
lololol
Profile Joined February 2006
5198 Posts
February 24 2010 20:28 GMT
#76
On February 25 2010 03:07 beetlelisk wrote:
[image loading]

Don't dissapoint us...


Oh my god, his eye is possessed.
I'll call Nada.
Rabbet
Profile Joined December 2009
Canada404 Posts
February 24 2010 20:29 GMT
#77
I think the reason Blizzard did not release their new chat/social features is because these types of places are a breeding ground for unconstructive criticism. Imagine a central channel like WoW's general chat in the SC2 beta, everyone would be YELLING this is OP and that build is OP etc. Places like Team Liquid, the beta's feedback and forum are much better for collecting well constructed feedback and do not create the unmoderated atomosphere for negetivity that chat rooms and global chats do.

I also believe the communal replay watching feature will be in the game at release. Perhaps they have included a host of new features in the program that will easily enable replay sharing/casting etc and just being able to watch the replays with others is a small part of the overall picture.

Right now they are working on server stability, balance issues etc, the core of the game. You have to remember the game has been live a week now and as far as Blizzard is concerned they only need certain data right now.

Also, I seem to remember a certain MMO that had all their communitcation functions disabled for beta except guild chat.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24800 Posts
February 24 2010 20:31 GMT
#78
In addition to what FA said, and it might have already been pointed out previously, the map opt-out feature seems to not work... someone else and I both opted out of desert oasis because it sucks and it gave it to us anyway!?

Also, one slight bug/error/whatever is that the stats sometimes take like 20 seconds to update and it says you have no 1v1 history after you are in a division already :p
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Green-Man
Profile Joined February 2010
United States13 Posts
February 24 2010 20:31 GMT
#79
IMO, maybe they are kept out because it is a testing phase and blizz doesn't want us to sit around in chat and not testing , just like most people do in SC and WC3
Tom Phoenix
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
1114 Posts
February 24 2010 20:41 GMT
#80
I absolutely agree with everything that was said. Out of everything I experienced in the beta so far, the new Battle.net is by far the most dissapointing thing. It is just such a cold and isolated experience. Even though people hardly spoke in the old Battle.net and ICCup, at least it gave you a feeling that you were online with thousands of other players. That said, while I do want chat channels to return, I do agree with Blizzard that they could be improved upon.

I am also incredibly saddened by the fact that the ability to watch replays online is currently not planned for ship. Half of the enjoyment of Brood War for me was watching replays with other people. I just hope they plan to put them in as soon as possible.

Also, while the AMM is good, I was hoping for an ability to limit my opponents to a specific race so that I can practice a specific matchup. Unfortunately, though, that is unlikely to happen.
You and your "5 years of competitive RTS experience" can take a hike. - FrozenArbiter
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 126
UpATreeSC 35
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1357
EffOrt 1118
Mini 730
Soma 618
actioN 473
Rush 435
Larva 312
Light 302
BeSt 217
Snow 145
[ Show more ]
hero 114
firebathero 112
Dewaltoss 111
Liquid`Ret 58
Zeus 58
sorry 56
Barracks 55
Sexy 26
Shine 26
ToSsGirL 25
JYJ 24
Bale 23
soO 22
Trap 19
zelot 15
Rock 12
Sacsri 8
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
Gorgc8273
qojqva2150
Dendi895
420jenkins176
Counter-Strike
Fnx 797
pashabiceps705
x6flipin587
ceh9384
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes6385
Grubby3969
Liquid`Hasu353
Other Games
Beastyqt504
byalli442
B2W.Neo422
Khaldor194
DeMusliM170
ArmadaUGS152
Liquid`VortiX146
KnowMe137
C9.Mang090
BRAT_OK 84
TKL 61
Trikslyr59
Railgan8
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV268
BasetradeTV203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream150
[ Show 20 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH246
• StrangeGG 70
• mYiSmile125
• Reevou 4
• intothetv
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 14
• FirePhoenix11
• 80smullet 6
• Azhi_Dahaki5
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV416
League of Legends
• Nemesis3533
• TFBlade851
Other Games
• Shiphtur285
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
7h 4m
Kung Fu Cup
18h 4m
The PondCast
1d 17h
OSC
1d 20h
OSC
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Replay Cast
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Replay Cast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.