• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:43
CEST 06:43
KST 13:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8122 users

[Champion] Skarner - Page 8

Forum Index > LoL Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 21 Next All
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 19:26:31
November 15 2011 19:25 GMT
#141
My first thought was 14/15/1 or 14/9/7. Double %-pen feels really strong for late-game when you do hybrid damage and never buy Void/LW, and both CDR and ASpd are good stats for you.
Moderator
Slayer91
Profile Joined February 2006
Ireland23442 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 19:30:57
November 15 2011 19:29 GMT
#142
I'm definitely going 0/21/9 on both udyr and skarner. The offensive things just aren't optimal on them because of the amount of magic damage they do. While tankiness and CC reduction and movement speed are all priority stats on them.

Double %pen seems a decent idea but you skip out on the highly efficient end tier masteries. Skarner wants the %pen a bit more because he tends to go for squishies less and tanks more than udyr.
gtrsrs
Profile Joined June 2010
United States9109 Posts
November 15 2011 20:13 GMT
#143
On November 16 2011 04:25 TheYango wrote:
My first thought was 14/15/1 or 14/9/7. Double %-pen feels really strong for late-game when you do hybrid damage and never buy Void/LW, and both CDR and ASpd are good stats for you.


see i just don't know if i agree with that though

like which is more important, getting out of that morgana binding 0.5 seconds faster, or shaving 10 armor and 4 MR off of the vayne you're trying to kill?

i dunno i'll be messing around with a bunch of stuff before eventually just copying stonewall or oddone lol
i play ... hearthstone =\^.^/= Winterfox
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 15 2011 20:25 GMT
#144
Eh, I'll probably go full Defensive. You're a tanky dps, you need to get up in their face for attacks, and for your ult you'll be diving into the enemy team to grab someone. I haven't really looked too hard at the mastery trees, but I agree that he probably doesn't get enough out of the offensive tree to justify missing out on defensiveness.
It's your boy Guzma!
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 20:28:10
November 15 2011 20:26 GMT
#145
After some testing, I think I'll be going 0/21/9 on Udyr and Skarner for one main reason: the extra defensive stats puts their already great sustain over the tipping point where they can start Boots+3pot, and still do a full clear with plenty of HP to gank (e.g. enough to proc Initiator).
Moderator
gtrsrs
Profile Joined June 2010
United States9109 Posts
November 15 2011 20:31 GMT
#146
On November 16 2011 05:26 TheYango wrote:
After some testing, I think I'll be going 0/21/9 on Udyr and Skarner for one main reason: the extra defensive stats puts their already great sustain over the tipping point where they can start Boots+3pot, and still do a full clear with plenty of HP to gank (e.g. enough to proc Initiator).


can you give me your exact specs on this? i'm really interested in trying it
i play ... hearthstone =\^.^/= Winterfox
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
November 15 2011 20:34 GMT
#147
That sounds so strong I'd be surprised if it wasn't nerfed. o.O
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 15 2011 20:40 GMT
#148
On November 16 2011 05:31 gtrsrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 05:26 TheYango wrote:
After some testing, I think I'll be going 0/21/9 on Udyr and Skarner for one main reason: the extra defensive stats puts their already great sustain over the tipping point where they can start Boots+3pot, and still do a full clear with plenty of HP to gank (e.g. enough to proc Initiator).


can you give me your exact specs on this? i'm really interested in trying it

Also interested. It seems... unlikely to have that much health after a full clear. What runes as well?
It's your boy Guzma!
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
November 15 2011 20:48 GMT
#149
On November 16 2011 05:31 gtrsrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 05:26 TheYango wrote:
After some testing, I think I'll be going 0/21/9 on Udyr and Skarner for one main reason: the extra defensive stats puts their already great sustain over the tipping point where they can start Boots+3pot, and still do a full clear with plenty of HP to gank (e.g. enough to proc Initiator).


can you give me your exact specs on this? i'm really interested in trying it

For runes I ran ASpd red/blue, Armor yellow, and ArPen quints.

Masteries were: http://thefwcentral.com/lol/#&trees=0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-2-2-4-1-2-1-0-1-0-3-0-3-0-1-1-0-3-1-0-3-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0

I can't remember right now if I tested it using QWQE or QEQW. I do remember that I got a pretty good AoE pull on wolves, and a decent pull on blue, so if your team isn't looking like they're going to help that much, then stick to normal stuff. Otherwise it's Wolves->Blue->Wraiths->Minis->Red->gank.
Moderator
gtrsrs
Profile Joined June 2010
United States9109 Posts
November 15 2011 21:10 GMT
#150
your utility side looks like garbage
if you're doing a boots open, why not take the movespeed, and why are you taking mana regen? totally not an issue for skarner

2/3 points in hardiness for a point in smite mastery/vigor also seems suboptimal, what's your reasoning?

i also think siege commander and enlightenment might be good on skarner, as does niton. why u no take ??
i play ... hearthstone =\^.^/= Winterfox
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
November 15 2011 21:17 GMT
#151
On November 16 2011 06:10 gtrsrs wrote:
your utility side looks like garbage
if you're doing a boots open, why not take the movespeed, and why are you taking mana regen? totally not an issue for skarner

2/3 points in hardiness for a point in smite mastery/vigor also seems suboptimal, what's your reasoning?

i also think siege commander and enlightenment might be good on skarner, as does niton. why u no take ??

Mana regen because I'm dumb and autopiloted into it for some reason. MSpd is probably better.

The gold value on Summoner's Resolve for Smite is decent. You match the old Greed if you're smiting once like every 1:45, which is pretty reasonable as an average (sometimes you smite almost on CD, and sometimes you save it for a long time).

Vigor I took because I wasn't sure if I needed a little extra hp5 to clear with boots, though in retrospect, the armor is probably still better anyway. Same with Siege Commander--wasn't sure if I could get away with taking it.
Moderator
Requizen
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States33802 Posts
November 15 2011 22:52 GMT
#152
On November 16 2011 05:48 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 05:31 gtrsrs wrote:
On November 16 2011 05:26 TheYango wrote:
After some testing, I think I'll be going 0/21/9 on Udyr and Skarner for one main reason: the extra defensive stats puts their already great sustain over the tipping point where they can start Boots+3pot, and still do a full clear with plenty of HP to gank (e.g. enough to proc Initiator).


can you give me your exact specs on this? i'm really interested in trying it

For runes I ran ASpd red/blue, Armor yellow, and ArPen quints.

Masteries were: http://thefwcentral.com/lol/#&trees=0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-2-2-4-1-2-1-0-1-0-3-0-3-0-1-1-0-3-1-0-3-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0

I can't remember right now if I tested it using QWQE or QEQW. I do remember that I got a pretty good AoE pull on wolves, and a decent pull on blue, so if your team isn't looking like they're going to help that much, then stick to normal stuff. Otherwise it's Wolves->Blue->Wraiths->Minis->Red->gank.

Wait, that plus Boots 3Pot can get you a full clear with enough health to have Initiator up? That seems really stretched. So is that all 3 potions chugged by the end and not missing a single Q or Smite? I'd imagine you'd go QEQW for the heal and quicker nuking as well.
It's your boy Guzma!
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 01:52:13
November 16 2011 00:38 GMT
#153
Ugh...deleted. Gonna try this again with a real leash.

EDIT: ALRIGHT.
So.....yeah....I'm not really seeing how you did this. I ran 0/21/9 taking full Hardiness instead of +hp5 and Swiftness instead of mp regen. Went QEQW. Spammed all my skills. Started wolves, got a decent leash at blue, chained pots from that point on and still died to Red with one hit left to kill it. (Did Red after golems). Not seeing how the hell you could finish with Initiator up. You could clearly finish this and survive with extra attack speed (I don't have AS blue so I ran +MR instead) and a mega strong leash (really pushing it at low elo). But finishing with above 70%? Don't see it.
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
November 16 2011 02:34 GMT
#154
I did AS Quints/Marks/Glyphs and Armor Yellows. I was able to do everything but red with a boots start and no leashes whatsoever, killing wolves before blue. Since blue is really where Skarner takes most of his damage I imagine with a decent leash he could do what TheYango claims.
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
Morphx2
Profile Joined March 2011
147 Posts
November 16 2011 03:38 GMT
#155
i went 9/21/0 with stonewalls new masteries/runes and stuff.

I tore through the whole jungle and out-leveled the solo lanes. I started with my wolves, got a leash on blue, finished blue, then it was just tearing everything up

I was amazed as heck. I hit 6 before the top solos too.

Was great!

armor + 5 hp. Always had full hp
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 03:45:26
November 16 2011 03:41 GMT
#156
On November 16 2011 09:38 WaveofShadow wrote:
Ugh...deleted. Gonna try this again with a real leash.

EDIT: ALRIGHT.
So.....yeah....I'm not really seeing how you did this. I ran 0/21/9 taking full Hardiness instead of +hp5 and Swiftness instead of mp regen. Went QEQW. Spammed all my skills. Started wolves, got a decent leash at blue, chained pots from that point on and still died to Red with one hit left to kill it. (Did Red after golems). Not seeing how the hell you could finish with Initiator up. You could clearly finish this and survive with extra attack speed (I don't have AS blue so I ran +MR instead) and a mega strong leash (really pushing it at low elo). But finishing with above 70%? Don't see it.

How much damage did you take on wolves/blue?

As Seuss said, most of your damage is taken on blue (and because of how healing on level-ups work, you get healed less on your level-ups to 2, 3, and 4 if you take too much damage on blue). If you finish blue at like 60-70% health (if both mid and the corresponding sidelane help, this should not be a problem) without using a pot, then your 3 pots should basically keep your HP pretty much level throughout the rest of your clear.

If you got slightly lower than expected, your wolves should spawn right after you clear minigolems, and you can get quite a bit of healing from doing them.
Moderator
WaveofShadow
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada31495 Posts
November 16 2011 03:50 GMT
#157
On November 16 2011 12:41 TheYango wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 09:38 WaveofShadow wrote:
Ugh...deleted. Gonna try this again with a real leash.

EDIT: ALRIGHT.
So.....yeah....I'm not really seeing how you did this. I ran 0/21/9 taking full Hardiness instead of +hp5 and Swiftness instead of mp regen. Went QEQW. Spammed all my skills. Started wolves, got a decent leash at blue, chained pots from that point on and still died to Red with one hit left to kill it. (Did Red after golems). Not seeing how the hell you could finish with Initiator up. You could clearly finish this and survive with extra attack speed (I don't have AS blue so I ran +MR instead) and a mega strong leash (really pushing it at low elo). But finishing with above 70%? Don't see it.

How much damage did you take on wolves/blue?

As Seuss said, most of your damage is taken on blue (and because of how healing on level-ups work, you get healed less on your level-ups to 2, 3, and 4 if you take too much damage on blue). If you finish blue at like 60-70% health (if both mid and the corresponding sidelane help, this should not be a problem) without using a pot, then your 3 pots should basically keep your HP pretty much level throughout the rest of your clear.

If you got slightly lower than expected, your wolves should spawn right after you clear minigolems, and you can get quite a bit of healing from doing them.

I tried what Seuss said and jungled without a leash (that was my deleted post). I was able to do everything but red as well.
For my leashed run, I did not get a leash at wolves though the blue leash was pretty good so if somehow not getting a leash at wolves equates to 70% hp at level 3 then I guess I'm wrong.

Ah just read you said finish 1st 2 camps and be at 60-70% without using a pot. Now I understand how it's doable, but again I state, I have almost NEVER seen a leash that strong at my elo, and I jungle all the time.
One of two things happen if people try. Either:
a) they stay too long and leech xp,
b) I don't get a strong leash, or
c) They somehow manage to fuck up so wolves/golem reset.

I dunno the fast boots don't really seem worth it to me, especially since a cloth armor doesn't exactly hurt Skarner's tankiness. I'm guessing the omission is for faster core/switch to Wit's end instead of Wriggle's?
twitch.tv/waveofshadow ||| Winner of AHGL's So You Think You Can Cast! ||| Juicy Dad for lyfe ||| 'idk i get a kick out of stupid things' - Jarms Yarng
zodde
Profile Joined October 2010
Sweden1908 Posts
November 16 2011 05:43 GMT
#158
On November 16 2011 12:50 WaveofShadow wrote:

I dunno the fast boots don't really seem worth it to me, especially since a cloth armor doesn't exactly hurt Skarner's tankiness. I'm guessing the omission is for faster core/switch to Wit's end instead of Wriggle's?


If nothing else, the boots would add a lot of power to your early ganks, as you would be considerably faster than most of the laners. It also gives you more freedom to not build wriggles as your first item (you don't feel you have a "wasted" cloth armor lying around). If you want to pick up wriggles as your first item, it shouldn't be later than normally, as you would have t1 boots anyways by then.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
November 16 2011 07:55 GMT
#159
On November 16 2011 09:38 WaveofShadow wrote:
Ugh...deleted. Gonna try this again with a real leash.

EDIT: ALRIGHT.
So.....yeah....I'm not really seeing how you did this. I ran 0/21/9 taking full Hardiness instead of +hp5 and Swiftness instead of mp regen. Went QEQW. Spammed all my skills. Started wolves, got a decent leash at blue, chained pots from that point on and still died to Red with one hit left to kill it. (Did Red after golems). Not seeing how the hell you could finish with Initiator up. You could clearly finish this and survive with extra attack speed (I don't have AS blue so I ran +MR instead) and a mega strong leash (really pushing it at low elo). But finishing with above 70%? Don't see it.


I run 0/21/9, with flat APen reds, flat armor yellows, flat MR blues, and MSpd quints, QEQWQR, cloth+5pot, and I can still do a full clear from level 1 with no leash and still survive with 45-50% health.

With Initiator and Swiftness and the quints, I have 360 MSpd at level 1, which is better than some champions get with boots 1 lol. I haven't tried the boots opening in jungle, but that would put you over 400 MSpd at level 1, which is pretty lulzy.
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Haasts
Profile Joined October 2011
New Zealand4445 Posts
November 30 2011 16:00 GMT
#160
Much of a muchness with some changes to the new jungle already on the way, but what are people's experiences w/Skarner in this brave new world? I've been mucking around with dropping Wriggle's Lantern for a Regrowth Pendant + health pot opening and building Philo+HoG into Rageblade before tanking out; with the sustain from his E and the way his Q melts camps, I'm wondering if he's followed in Phoenix Udyr's footsteps re: lantern obsolescence.
Also, anyone tried a boots+3 pots opening combined with movespeed quints? Might be easier to finish with Initiator up these days.
PaniaoftheReef in Path of Exile TotA SSF SC // Lovelin fanclub // GreenTea #1
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 21 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
GuemChi 1417
910 86
NotJumperer 67
Bale 42
Hyun 19
Noble 10
Britney 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm175
febbydoto8
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King88
Other Games
summit1g7794
Coldzera 740
JimRising 636
hungrybox528
WinterStarcraft366
C9.Mang0331
PiGStarcraft273
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick777
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream27
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 29
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota288
League of Legends
• Lourlo1070
• Rush961
• Stunt253
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 17m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
6h 17m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
19h 17m
Patches Events
1d 11h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.