• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:02
CEST 09:02
KST 16:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon106
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] 2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7537 users

[Patch 1.0.0.136: Lulu] General Discussion - Page 182

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 180 181 182 183 184 339 Next
Remember guys, this is the general discussion thread. Keep whine/QQ posts in the appropriate QQ memorial thread! Thanks!
Sandster
Profile Joined November 2006
United States4054 Posts
April 03 2012 19:43 GMT
#3621
Have you ever taken a hammer to the face while at -15 armor??
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
April 03 2012 19:45 GMT
#3622
On April 04 2012 04:21 Two_DoWn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 04:18 Seuss wrote:
It's pretty clear from both that Flat Reduction is coming first. I'm wondering if/when this was changed, because months ago I would have sworn it was the other way around.

Are you sure it was changed at some point? I could have sworn that flat always came first for both penetration and reduction, going all the way back to when I first started playing and was learning about old last whisper.

The other way around would be kind of rediculous. It would be way to easy to cut through armor if you sliced off % first.

Now this actually is supposed to have happened before I started LoL, but I always heard that it once was:
%>flat>%>flat, then they changed it to %>flat>flat>% (exactly because APen runes + LW was so strong). I'm 99% certain that multiple sources (including that wiki) claimed the latter to be true a couple of months ago. If Riot changed it recently, it was not announced. If they didn't it's either still that way or the information has been wrong for a period of more than 1 year.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
overt
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States9006 Posts
April 03 2012 19:46 GMT
#3623
On April 04 2012 04:36 Ryuu314 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 03:27 Sandster wrote:
Hah that'd be op as hell, just stack penetration runes all day.

Flat reduction is calculated first and so you'll almost never hit anything below 0. The only time I can think of it really mattering is amumu's MR reduction letting you smite at bonus health. I'm sure there are others but it's such an afterthought.

A correction, smite does true damage so MR/Armor reduction does nothing to improve smite damage. The only way to increase smite damage afaik is via Shaco's passive.


Jungle Swain so you can E->smite things.
Juicyfruit
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada5484 Posts
April 03 2012 19:49 GMT
#3624
On April 04 2012 04:45 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 04:21 Two_DoWn wrote:
On April 04 2012 04:18 Seuss wrote:
It's pretty clear from both that Flat Reduction is coming first. I'm wondering if/when this was changed, because months ago I would have sworn it was the other way around.

Are you sure it was changed at some point? I could have sworn that flat always came first for both penetration and reduction, going all the way back to when I first started playing and was learning about old last whisper.

The other way around would be kind of rediculous. It would be way to easy to cut through armor if you sliced off % first.

Now this actually is supposed to have happened before I started LoL, but I always heard that it once was:
%>flat>%>flat, then they changed it to %>flat>flat>% (exactly because APen runes + LW was so strong). I'm 99% certain that multiple sources (including that wiki) claimed the latter to be true a couple of months ago. If Riot changed it recently, it was not announced. If they didn't it's either still that way or the information has been wrong for a period of more than 1 year.


Last time I claimed it was flat-%-flat-% and was corrected by the wiki, and now it's turned on me AGAIN. Screw this then.
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
April 03 2012 19:49 GMT
#3625
On April 04 2012 04:45 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 04:21 Two_DoWn wrote:
On April 04 2012 04:18 Seuss wrote:
It's pretty clear from both that Flat Reduction is coming first. I'm wondering if/when this was changed, because months ago I would have sworn it was the other way around.

Are you sure it was changed at some point? I could have sworn that flat always came first for both penetration and reduction, going all the way back to when I first started playing and was learning about old last whisper.

The other way around would be kind of rediculous. It would be way to easy to cut through armor if you sliced off % first.

Now this actually is supposed to have happened before I started LoL, but I always heard that it once was:
%>flat>%>flat, then they changed it to %>flat>flat>% (exactly because APen runes + LW was so strong). I'm 99% certain that multiple sources (including that wiki) claimed the latter to be true a couple of months ago. If Riot changed it recently, it was not announced. If they didn't it's either still that way or the information has been wrong for a period of more than 1 year.

So in other words: who the fuck knows?
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
Dandel Ion
Profile Joined November 2010
Austria17960 Posts
April 03 2012 19:51 GMT
#3626
On April 04 2012 04:46 overt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 04:36 Ryuu314 wrote:
On April 04 2012 03:27 Sandster wrote:
Hah that'd be op as hell, just stack penetration runes all day.

Flat reduction is calculated first and so you'll almost never hit anything below 0. The only time I can think of it really mattering is amumu's MR reduction letting you smite at bonus health. I'm sure there are others but it's such an afterthought.

A correction, smite does true damage so MR/Armor reduction does nothing to improve smite damage. The only way to increase smite damage afaik is via Shaco's passive.


Jungle Swain so you can E->smite things.

I thought true damage can't be altered at all?
Like Vayne's silver bolts go through alistars ult.
Afair it's been tested on dominion with the quest buff, and the result was that true damage doesn't increase either, at all.

I'm not sure if they'd except Smite from the true damage mechanics, but supposedly neither Swain nor Shaco should be able to incrase damage on smite.
A backwards poet writes inverse.
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
April 03 2012 19:52 GMT
#3627
On April 04 2012 04:21 Two_DoWn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 04:18 Seuss wrote:
It's pretty clear from both that Flat Reduction is coming first. I'm wondering if/when this was changed, because months ago I would have sworn it was the other way around.

Are you sure it was changed at some point? I could have sworn that flat always came first for both penetration and reduction, going all the way back to when I first started playing and was learning about old last whisper.

The other way around would be kind of rediculous. It would be way to easy to cut through armor if you sliced off % first.


Dead sure. On page 243 of the @Ezreal thread a Riot post on the Runeterra forums is cited with %Reduction first. Ezreal confirms the explanation on page 258. This was all circa May of last year. The wiki didn't list %Reduction first for ages without reason.

If I had to guess I would assume Riot changed it when they fixed the bug where %Reduction effects only worked on base Armor/MR. Otherwise this is completely random and unprecedented/unexplained.
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
April 03 2012 19:53 GMT
#3628
On April 04 2012 04:51 Dandel Ion wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 04:46 overt wrote:
On April 04 2012 04:36 Ryuu314 wrote:
On April 04 2012 03:27 Sandster wrote:
Hah that'd be op as hell, just stack penetration runes all day.

Flat reduction is calculated first and so you'll almost never hit anything below 0. The only time I can think of it really mattering is amumu's MR reduction letting you smite at bonus health. I'm sure there are others but it's such an afterthought.

A correction, smite does true damage so MR/Armor reduction does nothing to improve smite damage. The only way to increase smite damage afaik is via Shaco's passive.


Jungle Swain so you can E->smite things.

I thought true damage can't be altered at all?
Like Vayne's silver bolts go through alistars ult.
Afair it's been tested on dominion with the quest buff, and the result was that true damage doesn't increase either, at all.

I'm not sure if they'd except Smite from the true damage mechanics, but supposedly neither Swain nor Shaco should be able to incrase damage on smite.

Another one of those odd things. I have always been under the impression that torment DID increase ignite damage, but then phreak came out and said that he didnt think it did. I cant remember what we ended up deciding in the GD thread at the time, other than I STILL am convinced that it does.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
overt
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States9006 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 20:02:27
April 03 2012 20:01 GMT
#3629
On April 04 2012 04:53 Two_DoWn wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 04:51 Dandel Ion wrote:
On April 04 2012 04:46 overt wrote:
On April 04 2012 04:36 Ryuu314 wrote:
On April 04 2012 03:27 Sandster wrote:
Hah that'd be op as hell, just stack penetration runes all day.

Flat reduction is calculated first and so you'll almost never hit anything below 0. The only time I can think of it really mattering is amumu's MR reduction letting you smite at bonus health. I'm sure there are others but it's such an afterthought.

A correction, smite does true damage so MR/Armor reduction does nothing to improve smite damage. The only way to increase smite damage afaik is via Shaco's passive.


Jungle Swain so you can E->smite things.

I thought true damage can't be altered at all?
Like Vayne's silver bolts go through alistars ult.
Afair it's been tested on dominion with the quest buff, and the result was that true damage doesn't increase either, at all.

I'm not sure if they'd except Smite from the true damage mechanics, but supposedly neither Swain nor Shaco should be able to incrase damage on smite.

Another one of those odd things. I have always been under the impression that torment DID increase ignite damage, but then phreak came out and said that he didnt think it did. I cant remember what we ended up deciding in the GD thread at the time, other than I STILL am convinced that it does.


Torment does affect Ignite. It's the reason you always run Ignite on Swain because Torment + Ignite is a huge DoT "burst" of sorts. I don't see why it wouldn't effect Smite, but no one is ever going to run jungle Swain so it shouldn't really matter even if it does.

All of Swain's damaging abilities can be amplified by Torment, including his autoattacks, champion abilities, summoner spells and items.

Torment's own damage is also amplified.


Source

This spell's damage can be increased through spells that increase damage from all sources such as Hemoplague, Diplomatic Immunity, Torment, and Cutthroat.


Ignite page too
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 20:03:11
April 03 2012 20:02 GMT
#3630
I'm fairly certain Kayle's Q increases Smite damage. If I wasn't at work I'd check for sure. Honestly I think Phreak was just wrong, or possibly working under the assumption that since Alistar/Maokai ult doesn't reduce True Damage neither could it be amplified.
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
April 03 2012 20:05 GMT
#3631
Well, you know me. I can ALWAYS get behind the idea that phreak is being terrible.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
overt
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States9006 Posts
April 03 2012 20:07 GMT
#3632
On April 04 2012 05:02 Seuss wrote:
I'm fairly certain Kayle's Q increases Smite damage. If I wasn't at work I'd check for sure. Honestly I think Phreak was just wrong, or possibly working under the assumption that since Alistar/Maokai ult doesn't reduce True Damage neither could it be amplified.


You can't reduce true damage but it can be amplified by a number of things. Vlad's Hemoplague for example increases the true damage that champions like Vayne, Corki, or Cho'gath deal.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 20:09:28
April 03 2012 20:08 GMT
#3633
I would not be opposed to them removing the amplification on ignite.

Wickd had to blow flash at 1 min because he was too busy trying to do a '/kneel' emote...
twitch.tv/cratonz
Dandel Ion
Profile Joined November 2010
Austria17960 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 20:33:59
April 03 2012 20:23 GMT
#3634
I just tested Ignite and both the quest buff, and Poppy's Ult increase damage.

Smite up next for testing, jungle Vlad yo.
(Smite page on the wiki suggests:
[...]can not be amplified through the use of damage-magnifiers.
we'll see about that)


€: SCIENCE!
Vlad's Ult does not increase Smite damage! But it increases Ingite damage! True damage is not necessarily as true as other true damages!


€²:
On April 04 2012 05:28 overt wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 05:23 Dandel Ion wrote:
I just tested Ignite and both the quest buff, and Poppy's Ult increase damage.

Smite up next for testing, jungle Vlad yo.
(Smite page on the wiki suggests:
[...]can not be amplified through the use of damage-magnifiers.
we'll see about that)


It's definitely possible that Smite doesn't get amplifiers but it would be really weird considering virtually every other form of true damage in the game is effected by damage amplifiers. Riot does weird stuff like that though.

CONCLUSIO: Riot does weird shit that makes no sense, now scientifically proven.
A backwards poet writes inverse.
overt
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States9006 Posts
April 03 2012 20:28 GMT
#3635
On April 04 2012 05:23 Dandel Ion wrote:
I just tested Ignite and both the quest buff, and Poppy's Ult increase damage.

Smite up next for testing, jungle Vlad yo.
(Smite page on the wiki suggests:
[...]can not be amplified through the use of damage-magnifiers.
we'll see about that)


It's definitely possible that Smite doesn't get amplifiers but it would be really weird considering virtually every other form of true damage in the game is effected by damage amplifiers. Riot does weird stuff like that though.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
April 03 2012 20:30 GMT
#3636
Penetration has been % flat flat % for at least 9 months, probably much longer.
twitch.tv/cratonz
wussleeQ
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States3130 Posts
April 03 2012 20:52 GMT
#3637
so i pretty much copied nhat nguyen's "movespeed janna" and i ended up just running faster than their entire team and they ended up letting me run past them and ult them back towards my team rofl. running really fast is fun
BW -> League -> CSGO
snow2.0
Profile Joined September 2010
Germany2073 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 21:31:47
April 03 2012 21:30 GMT
#3638
Dragon and Baron are immune to shredding, did you test smite with junglecreeps?

Not sure why you'd ever want to do that..
also, can you tell me if an enemy vlads ult will increase the other teams damage on affected neutral monsters?
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
April 03 2012 21:44 GMT
#3639
Well it kinda makes sense how % flat flat % -armor works.

Reductions generally last for much less time than penetrations do or not permanent effects like they are. Especially now that they reworked the lifesteal aura item. Because they last less, I think they wanted them to be stronger.

And with penetrations the other way around.

But now that I think about it, I have no idea what happens when the opponent has negative armor values and you still have your Last Whisper to calculate. I guess probably nothing, because it would be strange.
If it reduced the negative armor by 40%--> that'd be good for the opponent.
And all is illuminated.
JackDino
Profile Joined July 2010
Gabon6219 Posts
April 03 2012 21:48 GMT
#3640
On April 04 2012 06:44 freelander wrote:
Well it kinda makes sense how % flat flat % -armor works.

Reductions generally last for much less time than penetrations do or not permanent effects like they are. Especially now that they reworked the lifesteal aura item. Because they last less, I think they wanted them to be stronger.

And with penetrations the other way around.

But now that I think about it, I have no idea what happens when the opponent has negative armor values and you still have your Last Whisper to calculate. I guess probably nothing, because it would be strange.
If it reduced the negative armor by 40%--> that'd be good for the opponent.

According to the wiki pen does nothing if the target has below 0 armour.
This isnt Broodwar so I dont owe anyone respect for beating me. -arb
Prev 1 180 181 182 183 184 339 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 58m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SortOf 158
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 334
actioN 91
Mong 76
Shine 72
NotJumperer 38
Bale 29
Noble 11
Icarus 9
Light 0
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm205
League of Legends
JimRising 602
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 821
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft779
Other Games
summit1g8405
ceh9356
Happy266
PiGStarcraft226
Livibee112
ArmadaUGS38
RuFF_SC226
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick553
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream509
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH40
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2368
League of Legends
• Lourlo1434
• Rush1392
• Stunt464
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2h 58m
Afreeca Starleague
2h 58m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
16h 58m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 3h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.