• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:29
CEST 12:29
KST 19:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8198 users

[Patch 1.0.0.136: Lulu] General Discussion - Page 181

Forum Index > LoL General
Post a Reply
Prev 1 179 180 181 182 183 339 Next
Remember guys, this is the general discussion thread. Keep whine/QQ posts in the appropriate QQ memorial thread! Thanks!
Sandster
Profile Joined November 2006
United States4054 Posts
April 03 2012 18:27 GMT
#3601
Hah that'd be op as hell, just stack penetration runes all day.

Flat reduction is calculated first and so you'll almost never hit anything below 0. The only time I can think of it really mattering is amumu's MR reduction letting you smite at bonus health. I'm sure there are others but it's such an afterthought.
TheYango
Profile Joined September 2008
United States47024 Posts
April 03 2012 18:31 GMT
#3602
On April 04 2012 03:27 Sandster wrote:
Hah that'd be op as hell, just stack penetration runes all day.

Flat reduction is calculated first and so you'll almost never hit anything below 0. The only time I can think of it really mattering is amumu's MR reduction letting you smite at bonus health. I'm sure there are others but it's such an afterthought.

There are plenty of situations where you'd have enough flat reduction effects in play to put people on -armor. Corki+Taric lanes, for example.
Moderator
Juicyfruit
Profile Joined May 2008
Canada5484 Posts
April 03 2012 18:34 GMT
#3603
Wukong + taric + corki + nasus + rammus = ???
JackDino
Profile Joined July 2010
Gabon6219 Posts
April 03 2012 18:34 GMT
#3604
Support pant is awesome with an agressive bot lane like graves, AD quints arp reds armour yellows/blues(if you feel you need the blues), spam spears all day, go for kill if enemy dumb enough.
This isnt Broodwar so I dont owe anyone respect for beating me. -arb
Sandster
Profile Joined November 2006
United States4054 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 18:37:59
April 03 2012 18:36 GMT
#3605
Unfortunately Wukong won't do anything because % reduction is calculated after flat reduction...but add Karthus or Kog and you've got it. Or Eve, lol.

You gotta be playing some seriously awful players though to reduce their armor below 0. They have to stand in the gatling gun and not run armor runes at all...which does happen at a certain level of play. And it's hilarious when it happens.

Although a Rammus ganking a Corki/Taric lane sounds brutal.
spinesheath
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Germany8679 Posts
April 03 2012 18:52 GMT
#3606
On April 04 2012 03:36 Sandster wrote:
Unfortunately Wukong won't do anything because % reduction is calculated after flat reduction...but add Karthus or Kog and you've got it. Or Eve, lol.

You gotta be playing some seriously awful players though to reduce their armor below 0. They have to stand in the gatling gun and not run armor runes at all...which does happen at a certain level of play. And it's hilarious when it happens.

Although a Rammus ganking a Corki/Taric lane sounds brutal.

% Reduc -> flat Reduc -> flat Pene -> % Pene

Also add Exhaust.
If you have a good reason to disagree with the above, please tell me. Thank you.
JackDino
Profile Joined July 2010
Gabon6219 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 18:57:31
April 03 2012 18:56 GMT
#3607
On April 04 2012 03:52 spinesheath wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 04 2012 03:36 Sandster wrote:
Unfortunately Wukong won't do anything because % reduction is calculated after flat reduction...but add Karthus or Kog and you've got it. Or Eve, lol.

You gotta be playing some seriously awful players though to reduce their armor below 0. They have to stand in the gatling gun and not run armor runes at all...which does happen at a certain level of play. And it's hilarious when it happens.

Although a Rammus ganking a Corki/Taric lane sounds brutal.

% Reduc -> flat Reduc -> flat Pene -> % Pene

Also add Exhaust.

no flat reduc>%reduc lol.
When attacking, armor penetration and armor reduction are considered on the target champion in the following order:
Flat armor reduction
Percentage armor reduction
Flat armor penetration
Percentage armor penetration
This isnt Broodwar so I dont owe anyone respect for beating me. -arb
Mogwai
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States13274 Posts
April 03 2012 19:03 GMT
#3608
Just test it out. I was actually fairly sure that reductions where simply applied chronologically, which is to say that someone who got hit by Dragon Strike -> Gatling Gun had lower armor than if they got hit by Gatling Gun -> Dragon Strike. But I haven't tested it ever, so someone should just go into a custom game with J4 + Corki and do it.
mogwaismusings.wordpress.com
JonnyLaw
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States3482 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 19:24:03
April 03 2012 19:13 GMT
#3609
Listening to CLG eu scrim (might be some tourney) vs MTW gives me more faith in the LoL community. Previously, I watched CLG NA and TSM a few times. The coordination, patience and communication taking advantage of the fact that this is in fact a team game.

Watching five players on ts/vent/skype playing individually and communicating only to bitch at teammates disappointed me.

Now a question. I'm new to LoL and about to hit level 30. I played mostly blind pick with friends leveling up the account.

At 30, I would like to start playing ranked games eventually. I do not have AP runes, nor any specialized runes for support.

Do I need to know how to play every role?
Should I play more normal draft?
With only two rune pages, would I run an ad page for support?

Being a noob in team games so sad

*edit - Oh yeah, major props to the TL LoL community. I've lurked this subforum for a month and TL continues to impress with reasonable discussion.
Seuss
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States10536 Posts
April 03 2012 19:18 GMT
#3610
Looking at the wiki's edit history it looks like there was a back and forth edit war last month as to which came first. The argument for Flat Reduction coming first cited these two videos:




It's pretty clear from both that Flat Reduction is coming first. I'm wondering if/when this was changed, because months ago I would have sworn it was the other way around.
"I am not able to carry all this people alone, for they are too heavy for me." -Moses (Numbers 11:14)
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
April 03 2012 19:19 GMT
#3611
Realistically run whatever you want for runes on support. It really doesnt matter.

Ap runes dont really matter either. Its actually fairly common for mids to run mr blues instead of ap. Hell, some people even avoid running mr reds in favor of more mr. Quints again are flexible. Pretty much whatever you have works. That being said, you probably should work towards mpen reds and ap quints just to complete up a standard page.

Ideally you should be able to run at least one character for each role, and be comfortable enough with that character to carry.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
barbsq
Profile Joined November 2009
United States5348 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 19:22:00
April 03 2012 19:21 GMT
#3612
AD runepages/masteries are pretty entertaining on some supports, I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Look at this guy, constantly diluting himself! (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ ( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 19:23:44
April 03 2012 19:21 GMT
#3613
On April 04 2012 04:18 Seuss wrote:
It's pretty clear from both that Flat Reduction is coming first. I'm wondering if/when this was changed, because months ago I would have sworn it was the other way around.

Are you sure it was changed at some point? I could have sworn that flat always came first for both penetration and reduction, going all the way back to when I first started playing and was learning about old last whisper.

The other way around would be kind of rediculous. It would be way to easy to cut through armor if you sliced off % first.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
arb
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Noobville17922 Posts
April 03 2012 19:32 GMT
#3614
real men run gp10 runes on their supports.
Artillery spawned from the forges of Hell
Two_DoWn
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States13684 Posts
April 03 2012 19:33 GMT
#3615
On April 04 2012 04:32 arb wrote:
real men run gp10 runes on their supports.

false. real men pick zilean and run full ap. I was playing with shake and beat our solo mid ap carry to deathcap and had more ap at all points in the game.
"What is the air speed velocity of an unladen courier?" "Dire or Radiant?"
Ryuu314
Profile Joined October 2009
United States12679 Posts
April 03 2012 19:36 GMT
#3616
On April 04 2012 03:27 Sandster wrote:
Hah that'd be op as hell, just stack penetration runes all day.

Flat reduction is calculated first and so you'll almost never hit anything below 0. The only time I can think of it really mattering is amumu's MR reduction letting you smite at bonus health. I'm sure there are others but it's such an afterthought.

A correction, smite does true damage so MR/Armor reduction does nothing to improve smite damage. The only way to increase smite damage afaik is via Shaco's passive.
barbsq
Profile Joined November 2009
United States5348 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 19:40:45
April 03 2012 19:38 GMT
#3617
nvm wiki says otherwise
Look at this guy, constantly diluting himself! (╮°-°)╮┳━┳ ( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻
Sandster
Profile Joined November 2006
United States4054 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-03 19:42:06
April 03 2012 19:41 GMT
#3618
Smite

V1.0.0.111:
Now deals True Damage instead of magic damage.


Wow they changed that a while ago (Feb 2011). I quit for almost a year around that period so that explains why I never heard about this.
Dandel Ion
Profile Joined November 2010
Austria17960 Posts
April 03 2012 19:41 GMT
#3619
On April 04 2012 04:13 JonnyLaw wrote:
Listening to CLG eu scrim (might be some tourney) vs MTW gives me more faith in the LoL community. Previously, I watched CLG NA and TSM a few times. The coordination, patience and communication taking advantage of the fact that this is in fact a team game.

Watching five players on ts/vent/skype playing individually and communicating only to bitch at teammates disappointed me.

Now a question. I'm new to LoL and about to hit level 30. I played mostly blind pick with friends leveling up the account.

At 30, I would like to start playing ranked games eventually. I do not have AP runes, nor any specialized runes for support.

Do I need to know how to play every role?
Should I play more normal draft?
With only two rune pages, would I run an ad page for support?

Being a noob in team games so sad

The "right" runes are not actually all that important, if you have a generic defensive runepage, you can just substitute that for any role where no other page you have makes sense.
For example, I have no special page for top, because I rarely play top. I just pick some page with a bunch of armor (maybe MR, depends) and MS quints.

For support, I'd presonally say defensive runes are generally better than AD carry runes, but of course it depends on the support, the enemy lane, and how your runepages actually look like, which I don't know, obviously.

Knowing every role is a different story though.
You'll definetly need to play support when you start ranked. I promise. Whenever you're last pick you'll be support (until waaaay later up the ELO brackets). And there's no way around being lastpick if you just started ranked.
Jungling is also a role that you might get stuck with if you're in the last 2 in pickorder, but it's far less common you really have to jungle if you just write "I can't jungle" (actually write it like that if you don't want to, if you just say you don't WANT to jungle, noody cares...)

The "big 3" of solo-queue - Top, Mid and AD carry - you usually don't need to know all of those roles. As I already said, I don't play top much personally. And in all the games so far, I never really needed to go top. If you're on the top in the picks, you can just call your position, and if your at the bottom, you're gonna mostly be support and jungler.

So support, jungler and at least one of those three you should be able to play for ranked, I'd say.
A backwards poet writes inverse.
turdburgler
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
England6749 Posts
April 03 2012 19:42 GMT
#3620
On April 04 2012 03:36 Sandster wrote:
Unfortunately Wukong won't do anything because % reduction is calculated after flat reduction...but add Karthus or Kog and you've got it. Or Eve, lol.

You gotta be playing some seriously awful players though to reduce their armor below 0. They have to stand in the gatling gun and not run armor runes at all...which does happen at a certain level of play. And it's hilarious when it happens.

Although a Rammus ganking a Corki/Taric lane sounds brutal.



except a corki taric rammus gank is like 50% magic dmg so its not even that big a deal ;p
Prev 1 179 180 181 182 183 339 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 13138
StarCastTV_EN318
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
Krystianer vs MilkiCowLIVE!
CranKy Ducklings57
CranKy Ducklings SOOP14
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 8247
Jaedong 3881
EffOrt 2333
BeSt 942
actioN 915
Soma 535
Killer 527
Horang2 459
ZerO 382
Pusan 380
[ Show more ]
Zeus 191
Stork 190
Rush 120
JYJ 99
soO 71
HiyA 60
Barracks 59
Mong 42
ToSsGirL 34
Bale 30
Shinee 30
Sharp 26
Sexy 22
sorry 20
NaDa 20
Terrorterran 19
Sacsri 12
JulyZerg 10
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc3761
XaKoH 337
Counter-Strike
edward73
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1059
WinterStarcraft828
Other Games
gofns52211
singsing1354
olofmeister1259
ceh9557
byalli420
Livibee206
Pyrionflax169
ArmadaUGS39
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick538
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream408
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 196
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH352
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1965
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
13h 31m
Kung Fu Cup
1d
The PondCast
1d 23h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.