• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:23
CEST 06:23
KST 13:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War415.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams Bot on ladder Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9197 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 3119

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 3117 3118 3119 3120 3121 6005 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
March 11 2021 18:40 GMT
#62361
On March 11 2021 13:22 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
We'll always have poor people
Show nested quote +
or

lower end classes on earth.

Those are different things as I understand them. I'm an advocate of communism (so I reject both), but I'd hope we at least eliminate earthbound absolute poverty (this doesn't mean there is no economic inequality) before having people off earth living in absolute poverty (or struggling to simply live a dignified life imo).

It's a sad statement on our society that it's probably so much easier for us to imagine luxury space hotels staffed with people that can't afford to leave them than an earth where everyone has food, water, clothing, shelter, sanitation, education, and healthcare even if they can't find another job after being replaced by a robot.

I understand the idea that humanity spends a lot of time on luxury and non-critical advancements before all of the critical stuff is done. I used to think that most realms of science and engineering should just be abolished so that scientists could instead focus on more critical issues.

Previously, I believed these 3 things should be the only permissible scientific endeavors aside from critical stuff like medicine:

1. Carbon capture
2. Desalination
3. Cold fusion

Once I made it through grad school, I realized that a ton of work being done in the world is driven by passion and enthusiasm and that a lot of people do significantly worse work when it is something they aren't naturally driven by. Some people are truly obsessed with frogs. And after working in research for a while, I realized there are numerous times where someone's obsessive, seemingly unrelated work becomes critical for something I am working on. The amount of accidental collaboration is surprisingly high and I started to wonder if its possible we are still working well towards those 3 things. I would prefer a system significantly more structured and forceful, but I have realized our current system isn't *quite* as wasteful as I used to think.

That being said, almost all work done in the financial sector needs to be shot in the head. We simply should not have mathematicians working on computational finance and other similar "how can we invent weird things to trade" work. It absolutely is a complete waste of humanity and I do not believe people should have the right to pursue that kind of work. I think it is an abomination and a major point of shame for our species.
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12026 Posts
March 11 2021 19:53 GMT
#62362
If we are talking about stuff to cut, i can offer a bunch of additional things which don't really add anything to society. Top of the line are people whose only job it is to fight other people of the same profession. These can be soldiers or lawyers. You need them, because if you don't have them, you get fucked over by people who have them. But they don't actually add to the pie, they just change the distribution of it. Which i think is a huge waste of human effort. But a lot of the banking stuff is also up there.
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46508 Posts
March 11 2021 20:05 GMT
#62363
On March 12 2021 04:53 Simberto wrote:
If we are talking about stuff to cut, i can offer a bunch of additional things which don't really add anything to society. Top of the line are people whose only job it is to fight other people of the same profession. These can be soldiers or lawyers. You need them, because if you don't have them, you get fucked over by people who have them. But they don't actually add to the pie, they just change the distribution of it. Which i think is a huge waste of human effort. But a lot of the banking stuff is also up there.


Would the criminal justice system really be viable without any prosecutors or defense attorneys?
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
March 11 2021 20:21 GMT
#62364
--- Nuked ---
Lmui
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada6223 Posts
March 11 2021 20:26 GMT
#62365
Something I found interesting from work:

https://www.sap.com/integrated-reports/2020/en.html

Because of covid and all the related WFH, lack of travel etc, we've reduced carbon emissions from a projected 238kt to 135kt in 2020 (300kt in 2019). It's a pretty gigantic shift for a company our size. I'm presuming most other high-tech companies to see similar savings (Google, Apple etc), where most of the workforce can effectively work remotely.

We'll see if this continues into the future, but covid was probably the single biggest influencer in our carbon emissions in the last 20-30 years (I guess bitcoin might be close here)
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-11 21:03:35
March 11 2021 20:31 GMT
#62366
On March 12 2021 05:05 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 04:53 Simberto wrote:
If we are talking about stuff to cut, i can offer a bunch of additional things which don't really add anything to society. Top of the line are people whose only job it is to fight other people of the same profession. These can be soldiers or lawyers. You need them, because if you don't have them, you get fucked over by people who have them. But they don't actually add to the pie, they just change the distribution of it. Which i think is a huge waste of human effort. But a lot of the banking stuff is also up there.


Would the criminal justice system really be viable without any prosecutors or defense attorneys?

I think there are times when law is used as a weapon and times when law is useful. Weaponized lawyers from dueling billion dollar companies is pure waste.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
March 11 2021 20:49 GMT
#62367
On March 12 2021 05:31 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 05:05 DarkPlasmaBall wrote:
On March 12 2021 04:53 Simberto wrote:
If we are talking about stuff to cut, i can offer a bunch of additional things which don't really add anything to society. Top of the line are people whose only job it is to fight other people of the same profession. These can be soldiers or lawyers. You need them, because if you don't have them, you get fucked over by people who have them. But they don't actually add to the pie, they just change the distribution of it. Which i think is a huge waste of human effort. But a lot of the banking stuff is also up there.


Would the criminal justice system really be viable without any prosecutors or defense attorneys?

I think there are times when law is weapon used and times when law is useful. Weaponized lawyers from dueling billion dollar companies is pure waste.

From the inside looking out, I agree with this.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-11 22:16:25
March 11 2021 20:51 GMT
#62368
On March 12 2021 03:40 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2021 13:22 GreenHorizons wrote:
We'll always have poor people
or

lower end classes on earth.

Those are different things as I understand them. I'm an advocate of communism (so I reject both), but I'd hope we at least eliminate earthbound absolute poverty (this doesn't mean there is no economic inequality) before having people off earth living in absolute poverty (or struggling to simply live a dignified life imo).

It's a sad statement on our society that it's probably so much easier for us to imagine luxury space hotels staffed with people that can't afford to leave them than an earth where everyone has food, water, clothing, shelter, sanitation, education, and healthcare even if they can't find another job after being replaced by a robot.

I understand the idea that humanity spends a lot of time on luxury and non-critical advancements before all of the critical stuff is done. I used to think that most realms of science and engineering should just be abolished so that scientists could instead focus on more critical issues.

Previously, I believed these 3 things should be the only permissible scientific endeavors aside from critical stuff like medicine:

1. Carbon capture
2. Desalination
3. Cold fusion

Once I made it through grad school, I realized that a ton of work being done in the world is driven by passion and enthusiasm and that a lot of people do significantly worse work when it is something they aren't naturally driven by. Some people are truly obsessed with frogs. And after working in research for a while, I realized there are numerous times where someone's obsessive, seemingly unrelated work becomes critical for something I am working on. The amount of accidental collaboration is surprisingly high and I started to wonder if its possible we are still working well towards those 3 things. I would prefer a system significantly more structured and forceful, but I have realized our current system isn't *quite* as wasteful as I used to think.

That being said, almost all work done in the financial sector needs to be shot in the head. We simply should not have mathematicians working on computational finance and other similar "how can we invent weird things to trade" work. It absolutely is a complete waste of humanity and I do not believe people should have the right to pursue that kind of work. I think it is an abomination and a major point of shame for our species.


I agree. Unfortunately the obsession with monetary wealth and power (extending beyond the financial sector) has driven us to unimaginably horrific ends. So much so, the grotesque reality that kids in the wealthiest country on the planet don't have reliably safe drinking water at school/home is treated as if it is unavoidable and something we'll eventually get to rather than consequences of our choices as a society/country and fundamentally unacceptable (as well as a crime against humanity, but hardly the worst from the US imo).

Edit: I'd add that my concern/argument extends beyond the very obviously necessary and achievable 21st century goal of the wealthiest country on the planet providing its children reliably safe drinking water, but I chose something so rudimentary and necessary to life as well as fully achievable now/in the past to make the point as clear as I could.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
March 11 2021 22:41 GMT
#62369
On March 12 2021 05:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 03:40 Mohdoo wrote:
On March 11 2021 13:22 GreenHorizons wrote:
We'll always have poor people
or

lower end classes on earth.

Those are different things as I understand them. I'm an advocate of communism (so I reject both), but I'd hope we at least eliminate earthbound absolute poverty (this doesn't mean there is no economic inequality) before having people off earth living in absolute poverty (or struggling to simply live a dignified life imo).

It's a sad statement on our society that it's probably so much easier for us to imagine luxury space hotels staffed with people that can't afford to leave them than an earth where everyone has food, water, clothing, shelter, sanitation, education, and healthcare even if they can't find another job after being replaced by a robot.

I understand the idea that humanity spends a lot of time on luxury and non-critical advancements before all of the critical stuff is done. I used to think that most realms of science and engineering should just be abolished so that scientists could instead focus on more critical issues.

Previously, I believed these 3 things should be the only permissible scientific endeavors aside from critical stuff like medicine:

1. Carbon capture
2. Desalination
3. Cold fusion

Once I made it through grad school, I realized that a ton of work being done in the world is driven by passion and enthusiasm and that a lot of people do significantly worse work when it is something they aren't naturally driven by. Some people are truly obsessed with frogs. And after working in research for a while, I realized there are numerous times where someone's obsessive, seemingly unrelated work becomes critical for something I am working on. The amount of accidental collaboration is surprisingly high and I started to wonder if its possible we are still working well towards those 3 things. I would prefer a system significantly more structured and forceful, but I have realized our current system isn't *quite* as wasteful as I used to think.

That being said, almost all work done in the financial sector needs to be shot in the head. We simply should not have mathematicians working on computational finance and other similar "how can we invent weird things to trade" work. It absolutely is a complete waste of humanity and I do not believe people should have the right to pursue that kind of work. I think it is an abomination and a major point of shame for our species.


I agree. Unfortunately the obsession with monetary wealth and power (extending beyond the financial sector) has driven us to unimaginably horrific ends. So much so, the grotesque reality that kids in the wealthiest country on the planet don't have reliably safe drinking water at school/home is treated as if it is unavoidable and something we'll eventually get to rather than consequences of our choices as a society/country and fundamentally unacceptable (as well as a crime against humanity, but hardly the worst from the US imo).

Edit: I'd add that my concern/argument extends beyond the very obviously necessary and achievable 21st century goal of the wealthiest country on the planet providing its children reliably safe drinking water, but I chose something so rudimentary and necessary to life as well as fully achievable now/in the past to make the point as clear as I could.

The strange disconnect to me being if you ask most people what they value and want out of life there’s usually rather a lot of desire for social interactions, novel experiences, time to pursue one’s passions etc.

Wanting to have more money to buy more things, beyond a certain level of base comfort doesn’t feature too heavily, but suggesting a level of retooling things to facilitate the former and you get a kind of defeatist ‘it can’t be done’, or more bizarrely that greed is human nature from the very folk who’ve just said accumulation of wealth isn’t one of their main drivers.

While I’m not exactly a massive fan of capitalism to put it lightly, even within that framework there’s still considerable room to make things appreciably better for a good many people.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
ZerOCoolSC2
Profile Blog Joined February 2015
9069 Posts
March 12 2021 02:26 GMT
#62370
Sister who works at the Fed Res says to be on the lookout for Biden Bucks to hit this weekend.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24385 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-03-12 03:23:03
March 12 2021 03:06 GMT
#62371
On March 12 2021 07:41 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 05:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
On March 12 2021 03:40 Mohdoo wrote:
On March 11 2021 13:22 GreenHorizons wrote:
We'll always have poor people
or

lower end classes on earth.

Those are different things as I understand them. I'm an advocate of communism (so I reject both), but I'd hope we at least eliminate earthbound absolute poverty (this doesn't mean there is no economic inequality) before having people off earth living in absolute poverty (or struggling to simply live a dignified life imo).

It's a sad statement on our society that it's probably so much easier for us to imagine luxury space hotels staffed with people that can't afford to leave them than an earth where everyone has food, water, clothing, shelter, sanitation, education, and healthcare even if they can't find another job after being replaced by a robot.

I understand the idea that humanity spends a lot of time on luxury and non-critical advancements before all of the critical stuff is done. I used to think that most realms of science and engineering should just be abolished so that scientists could instead focus on more critical issues.

Previously, I believed these 3 things should be the only permissible scientific endeavors aside from critical stuff like medicine:

1. Carbon capture
2. Desalination
3. Cold fusion

Once I made it through grad school, I realized that a ton of work being done in the world is driven by passion and enthusiasm and that a lot of people do significantly worse work when it is something they aren't naturally driven by. Some people are truly obsessed with frogs. And after working in research for a while, I realized there are numerous times where someone's obsessive, seemingly unrelated work becomes critical for something I am working on. The amount of accidental collaboration is surprisingly high and I started to wonder if its possible we are still working well towards those 3 things. I would prefer a system significantly more structured and forceful, but I have realized our current system isn't *quite* as wasteful as I used to think.

That being said, almost all work done in the financial sector needs to be shot in the head. We simply should not have mathematicians working on computational finance and other similar "how can we invent weird things to trade" work. It absolutely is a complete waste of humanity and I do not believe people should have the right to pursue that kind of work. I think it is an abomination and a major point of shame for our species.


I agree. Unfortunately the obsession with monetary wealth and power (extending beyond the financial sector) has driven us to unimaginably horrific ends. So much so, the grotesque reality that kids in the wealthiest country on the planet don't have reliably safe drinking water at school/home is treated as if it is unavoidable and something we'll eventually get to rather than consequences of our choices as a society/country and fundamentally unacceptable (as well as a crime against humanity, but hardly the worst from the US imo).

Edit: I'd add that my concern/argument extends beyond the very obviously necessary and achievable 21st century goal of the wealthiest country on the planet providing its children reliably safe drinking water, but I chose something so rudimentary and necessary to life as well as fully achievable now/in the past to make the point as clear as I could.

The strange disconnect to me being if you ask most people what they value and want out of life there’s usually rather a lot of desire for social interactions, novel experiences, time to pursue one’s passions etc.

Wanting to have more money to buy more things, beyond a certain level of base comfort doesn’t feature too heavily, but suggesting a level of retooling things to facilitate the former and you get a kind of defeatist ‘it can’t be done’, or more bizarrely that greed is human nature from the very folk who’ve just said accumulation of wealth isn’t one of their main drivers.

While I’m not exactly a massive fan of capitalism to put it lightly, even within that framework there’s still considerable room to make things appreciably better for a good many people.


The early science also supports the idea that increased wealth beyond having your material needs met (perhaps a bit fancier than people would accept those who don't/are unable to work having) doesn't make you happier (and probably makes you less satisfied.

+ Show Spoiler +
That's the conclusion of a recent study that found $105,000 to be the ideal income for life satisfaction in Northern America. Earnings past that point tended to coincide with a lower levels of happiness and well-being, researchers found.

...exact satiation points would vary depending on just where a person resides within a Northern America, the authors said.

The research follows a much-discussed 2010 study from Princeton University that found emotional well-being only rises with income to a point of about $75,000 for Americans (or $86,000 in today's dollars).

But the Purdue study goes further, its authors said, using more precise income figures from around the world and accounting for household size.

www.usatoday.com

I think Kwark nailed it a while ago.

Consider the practice of decimation of the Roman Legion. Divide it into groups of ten, have them draw lots, and then the nine lucky members beat the unlucky tenth to death with clubs. It might have been rational for the group to collectively refuse, after all, it's five thousand heavily armed soldiers, it's pretty hard to make them do anything they don't want to do. But they're all hoping that they won't be the unlucky one, the only ones arguing for solidarity and resistance are the ones who have already drawn short straws, and their luckier comrades gain nothing from listening to them. They've already survived the decimation, the last thing they need is another display of insubordination.


If we mostly have our material needs met and/or feel they are in reach, we feel we have little-nothing to gain (and a lot to lose) from really reconciling our ostensible worldview with realities like children not having reliably safe water drinking water in the wealthiest country ever.

So we come up with endless (and often contradictory as you point out) rationalizations (which is one reason why I picked such a naked example) for why our role in the perpetuation of these vicious cycles of exploitation and terror (eventually we recognize neutrality/empty hope it'll get better over time is a cruel illusion in the face of oppression) doesn't implicate our morality, dignity, and/or socioeconomic position.

Given a choice between confronting a lifetime (whatever length that's been/will be for us) of helping (however unwittingly) to perpetuate such a system/society that still fails to meet such basic human needs as ensuring their children have reliably safe drinking water (while one person has more personal wealth than cost-estimates to get the kids the water) while risking whatever comfort we've found in it

OR

Enjoying/securing/celebrating that comfort (or increasingly just basic relief) and dignity even if that means some 'decimation', I think it helps to understand why people turn on each other (especially anyone trying to rally them) rather than the tool pressuring us to kill each other.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
March 12 2021 03:56 GMT
#62372
This idea of having more people give out vaccines is genius. I totally love this.

Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
March 12 2021 06:18 GMT
#62373
After Biden’s speech today, I’d like to once again rub people’s face in the fact that they were saying he was not mentally fit for office
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2014 Posts
March 12 2021 07:58 GMT
#62374
On March 12 2021 12:56 Mohdoo wrote:
This idea of having more people give out vaccines is genius. I totally love this.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1370167655710162948


Hmm... There is a very final balance act between giving the vaccine to as many as possible and feeding the far too many anti-vaxxers.

I don't know how hard it is to get the right dosis in the right place, but I know getting the maximum amount of dosis out of each vial can be pretty complicated.
Buff the siegetank
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8198 Posts
March 12 2021 08:08 GMT
#62375
On March 12 2021 15:18 Mohdoo wrote:
After Biden’s speech today, I’d like to once again rub people’s face in the fact that they were saying he was not mentally fit for office

Well it was always cheap republican propaganda, but lots of people are not too regarding when it's about attacking someone they don't like.

On a related note, the amount of narratives that simply don't hold water anymore but that people cling on to because they have invested too much into it is also quite impressive.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
March 12 2021 08:29 GMT
#62376
On March 12 2021 15:18 Mohdoo wrote:
After Biden’s speech today, I’d like to once again rub people’s face in the fact that they were saying he was not mentally fit for office

Still not morally fit though :p
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
March 12 2021 08:51 GMT
#62377
On March 12 2021 17:08 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 15:18 Mohdoo wrote:
After Biden’s speech today, I’d like to once again rub people’s face in the fact that they were saying he was not mentally fit for office

Well it was always cheap republican propaganda, but lots of people are not too regarding when it's about attacking someone they don't like.

On a related note, the amount of narratives that simply don't hold water anymore but that people cling on to because they have invested too much into it is also quite impressive.

And that’s why it’s so important we don’t let people get away with it. It’s easy to spew bullshit when it’s easy for their narrative. Then once it’s debunked they try to pretend it never happened. Nope. All the far left shit bags who would say anything to get Bernie in office deserve to be shamed for their nonsense. I would have preferred Bernie too but there are right and wrong ways to behave during an election. People need to not feel like it’s totally free to shit out of their mouths
Doublemint
Profile Joined July 2011
Austria8760 Posts
March 12 2021 09:38 GMT
#62378
On March 12 2021 17:29 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 15:18 Mohdoo wrote:
After Biden’s speech today, I’d like to once again rub people’s face in the fact that they were saying he was not mentally fit for office

Still not morally fit though :p


exactly. anyone sleepy and woke at the same time is morally suspect.
Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before the fall.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
March 12 2021 10:35 GMT
#62379
On March 12 2021 18:38 Doublemint wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 17:29 WombaT wrote:
On March 12 2021 15:18 Mohdoo wrote:
After Biden’s speech today, I’d like to once again rub people’s face in the fact that they were saying he was not mentally fit for office

Still not morally fit though :p


exactly. anyone sleepy and woke at the same time is morally suspect.

Oh god, it was bad enough hearing he was senile, now I’m hearing he’s some sort of 4th dimensional Eldritch horror beyond our puny mortal conceptions of time?

Still preferable to Trump mind.

But yeah Mohdoo the senility stuff was a huge stretch and something I just generally dislike, along with amateur diagnoses of public figures with mental illness/personality disorders etc. Certainly not a train I was on anyway.

The only caveat to that is if Biden was going senile or what have you that IMO plenty of the DNC establishment would still have pushed him forward as a candidate anyway.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2014 Posts
March 12 2021 10:37 GMT
#62380
On March 12 2021 17:08 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2021 15:18 Mohdoo wrote:
After Biden’s speech today, I’d like to once again rub people’s face in the fact that they were saying he was not mentally fit for office

Well it was always cheap republican propaganda, but lots of people are not too regarding when it's about attacking someone they don't like.

On a related note, the amount of narratives that simply don't hold water anymore but that people cling on to because they have invested too much into it is also quite impressive.


If anyone is heavily invested in any narrative, it takes a lot of courage to give it up, the easy ways out are often to ignore it or resort to whataboutism. I can easily see a scenario where Bernie were elected president, but ended up splintering the democratic block and causing a decadelong red wave, undoing everything he somehow achieved. Would you still think Bernie was a good choice?

I dont' see a big difference between how democrats united to elect Biden and how republicans united to elect Trump. It is the nature of the system, and nothing to be upset about.
Buff the siegetank
Prev 1 3117 3118 3119 3120 3121 6005 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
08:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
CranKy Ducklings49
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 202
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 187
Bale 28
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm196
League of Legends
JimRising 666
Other Games
summit1g7393
Coldzera 670
WinterStarcraft529
C9.Mang0271
ViBE123
Sick113
febbydoto11
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1011
BasetradeTV167
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP122
• practicex 53
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota248
League of Legends
• Rush405
Other Games
• Shiphtur497
Upcoming Events
Big Brain Bouts
5h 37m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
Online Event
7h 37m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 37m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 37m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 10h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.