• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:59
CEST 02:59
KST 09:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2317
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8844 users

LGBT Rights and Gender Equality Thread - Page 114

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 112 113 114 115 116 149 Next
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 18:12:02
August 03 2013 18:10 GMT
#2261

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Shiori
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
3815 Posts
August 03 2013 18:22 GMT
#2262
Kwark is basically a logical positivist and those who disagree are wittgensteinians ^^

Of course one can make a category that would exclude transwomen. It would be considered arbitrary by those who already consider transwomen "real women" and it would likely be considered correct by those who dont do so.

Some people (including women) dont consider a woman who cant have children a "real woman" either. This was especially the case in the past. There is no clearcut universal definition of what constitutes being a "real woman", no more than there is one for what a "real man" is.


It has nothing to do with being a "real" versus a "fake" woman. People want to sleep with cis or trans women or both. That's all it is. Since we can have meaningful conversations about what a cis woman is and what a trans woman is, there's no point coming up with exact definitions, given that both categories (along with the term "woman") are arbitrary to start with and only exist because humans are sexually dimorphous and evolved as such. We needed words to refer to both different sorts of human beings, so we made 'em from the start.

Snusmumriken
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden1717 Posts
August 03 2013 19:01 GMT
#2263
On August 04 2013 03:22 Shiori wrote:
Show nested quote +
Kwark is basically a logical positivist and those who disagree are wittgensteinians ^^

Of course one can make a category that would exclude transwomen. It would be considered arbitrary by those who already consider transwomen "real women" and it would likely be considered correct by those who dont do so.

Some people (including women) dont consider a woman who cant have children a "real woman" either. This was especially the case in the past. There is no clearcut universal definition of what constitutes being a "real woman", no more than there is one for what a "real man" is.


It has nothing to do with being a "real" versus a "fake" woman. People want to sleep with cis or trans women or both. That's all it is. Since we can have meaningful conversations about what a cis woman is and what a trans woman is, there's no point coming up with exact definitions, given that both categories (along with the term "woman") are arbitrary to start with and only exist because humans are sexually dimorphous and evolved as such. We needed words to refer to both different sorts of human beings, so we made 'em from the start.



Sure. Ive never argued anything differently. In fact I was called a bigot or transphobe or whatever 10-15 pages back for pointing this out. What I do get slightly annoyed by however is how some people argue over whether a transwoman is a "real woman" or not by trying to use a scientific definition, when there is absolutely nothing scientific about the phrase "real woman" to begin with.

so a) I agree with you: assuming we cant use words that lack a clearcut definition is denying how language works. Most words dont have one single meaning, their meaning changes depending on circumstance (hence my reference to logical positivism vs the later wittgenstein) etc.

b) trying to prove that a transwoman is or isnt "real" is ridiculous. Its a category-mistake. It depends who you ask and no one is right or wrong, its more a question of decent or douche in my opinion.

c) Admitting that transwomen are "real women" doesnt mean you have to want to sleep with them. I strongly disagree that anyone would be a bigot or a ---phobe or whatever because of that.
Amove for Aiur
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:21:14
August 03 2013 19:18 GMT
#2264
I agree then 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
August 03 2013 19:22 GMT
#2265
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:29:33
August 03 2013 19:24 GMT
#2266
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


I think there are far more differences between the sexes than there are differences between "races".

The differences between man and woman, be it cis or trans, is far more significant than the differences between black and white.

I suppose it might be somewhat racist because I can't really think of any other reason someone would be upset over that for the reasons mentioned above
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:25:37
August 03 2013 19:25 GMT
#2267
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


What's the context though? Certainly in this day, feeling some discomfort about someone who has gone through a whole set of experiences that you simply cannot relate to is understandable.

Can you draw that parallel with your analogy?
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Darkwhite
Profile Joined June 2007
Norway355 Posts
August 03 2013 19:26 GMT
#2268
On August 04 2013 03:10 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.


You have to be careful here, philosophy isn't straightforward.

If I change my name to Brad Pitt, shave my head like Brad Pitt, surgically alter my facial characteristics to look like Brad Pitt, do I eventually become Brad Pitt?

Do you think the Sorietes paradox shows there is no difference between Brad Pitt and a Brad Pitt impersonator?
Darker than the sun's light; much stiller than the storm - slower than the lightning; just like the winter warm.
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:30:53
August 03 2013 19:28 GMT
#2269
On August 04 2013 04:26 Darkwhite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 03:10 shinosai wrote:

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.


You have to be careful here, philosophy isn't straightforward.

If I change my name to Brad Pitt, shave my head like Brad Pitt, surgically alter my facial characteristics to look like Brad Pitt, do I eventually become Brad Pitt?

Do you think the Sorietes paradox shows there is no difference between Brad Pitt and a Brad Pitt impersonator?


That's not a proper representation of the paradox. The paradox is about vague predicates not reality vs perception.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
August 03 2013 19:31 GMT
#2270
On August 04 2013 04:26 Darkwhite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 03:10 shinosai wrote:

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.


You have to be careful here, philosophy isn't straightforward.

If I change my name to Brad Pitt, shave my head like Brad Pitt, surgically alter my facial characteristics to look like Brad Pitt, do I eventually become Brad Pitt?

Do you think the Sorietes paradox shows there is no difference between Brad Pitt and a Brad Pitt impersonator?


If we did something like the teleporter experiment, where all your atoms are reassembled to be exactly like Brad Pitt's, then yes, you are Brad Pitt, although the other Brad Pitt and you would diverge due to different locations in space, you would still be equally real Brad Pitt's.

I have a degree in philosophy, so I think I'll be alright.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
August 03 2013 19:35 GMT
#2271
On August 04 2013 04:24 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


I think there are far more differences between the sexes than there are differences between "races".

The differences between man and woman, be it cis or trans, is far more significant than the differences between black and white.

I suppose it might be somewhat racist because I can't really think of any other reason someone would be upset over that for the reasons mentioned above


If you can agree that it's somewhat racist, then you should agree that you're a bit transphobic. Which is okay - you have a hangup that a lot of other people do, which is probably related to cultural upbringing.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
August 03 2013 19:37 GMT
#2272
On August 04 2013 04:25 marvellosity wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


What's the context though? Certainly in this day, feeling some discomfort about someone who has gone through a whole set of experiences that you simply cannot relate to is understandable.

Can you draw that parallel with your analogy?


There's totally valid reasons that someone might feel discomfort about sleeping with a black woman or a trans woman. It doesn't automatically make you a bad person, but it also doesn't change the fact that you're a little bit racist/transphobic if you're selecting your sexual partners exclusively on these traits.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:39:05
August 03 2013 19:38 GMT
#2273
On August 04 2013 04:35 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:24 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


I think there are far more differences between the sexes than there are differences between "races".

The differences between man and woman, be it cis or trans, is far more significant than the differences between black and white.

I suppose it might be somewhat racist because I can't really think of any other reason someone would be upset over that for the reasons mentioned above


If you can agree that it's somewhat racist, then you should agree that you're a bit transphobic. Which is okay - you have a hangup that a lot of other people do, which is probably related to cultural upbringing.


I don't think it's a good analogy though, unless you're willing to admit the difference between a black man and a white man is as great as the difference between a white man and a white woman.

And I don't think you'd be willing to concede that. Correct me if I'm wrong.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:41:30
August 03 2013 19:41 GMT
#2274
On August 04 2013 04:38 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:35 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:24 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


I think there are far more differences between the sexes than there are differences between "races".

The differences between man and woman, be it cis or trans, is far more significant than the differences between black and white.

I suppose it might be somewhat racist because I can't really think of any other reason someone would be upset over that for the reasons mentioned above


If you can agree that it's somewhat racist, then you should agree that you're a bit transphobic. Which is okay - you have a hangup that a lot of other people do, which is probably related to cultural upbringing.


I don't think it's a good analogy though, unless you're willing to admit the difference between a black man and a white man is as great as the difference between a white man and a white woman.

And I don't think you'd be willing to concede that. Correct me if I'm wrong.


I concede that the difference between a white woman and a biracial woman who appears white is less than or equal to the difference between a trans woman and a cis woman. It's a rather easy concession to make, since I don't think that there's a meaningful difference between trans women and cis women.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
Darkwhite
Profile Joined June 2007
Norway355 Posts
August 03 2013 19:41 GMT
#2275
On August 04 2013 04:31 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:26 Darkwhite wrote:
On August 04 2013 03:10 shinosai wrote:

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.


You have to be careful here, philosophy isn't straightforward.

If I change my name to Brad Pitt, shave my head like Brad Pitt, surgically alter my facial characteristics to look like Brad Pitt, do I eventually become Brad Pitt?

Do you think the Sorietes paradox shows there is no difference between Brad Pitt and a Brad Pitt impersonator?


If we did something like the teleporter experiment, where all your atoms are reassembled to be exactly like Brad Pitt's, then yes, you are Brad Pitt, although the other Brad Pitt and you would diverge due to different locations in space, you would still be equally real Brad Pitt's.

I have a degree in philosophy, so I think I'll be alright.


So, the original Brad Pitt is living his life. He drops by the lab to have his body scanned with extreme precision (though not destroyed, reassembled or teleported), and walks out again. While he is scanned, we assemble an atom-perfect copy of Brad Pitt - for convenience, we will refer to him as Brad Pitt*.

You suggest that both of these are the real Brad Pitt, and that people would be wrong if they said that Brad Pitt starred in Fight Club, whereas Brad Pitt* did not?
Darker than the sun's light; much stiller than the storm - slower than the lightning; just like the winter warm.
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
August 03 2013 19:43 GMT
#2276
On August 04 2013 04:41 Darkwhite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:31 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:26 Darkwhite wrote:
On August 04 2013 03:10 shinosai wrote:

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.


You have to be careful here, philosophy isn't straightforward.

If I change my name to Brad Pitt, shave my head like Brad Pitt, surgically alter my facial characteristics to look like Brad Pitt, do I eventually become Brad Pitt?

Do you think the Sorietes paradox shows there is no difference between Brad Pitt and a Brad Pitt impersonator?


If we did something like the teleporter experiment, where all your atoms are reassembled to be exactly like Brad Pitt's, then yes, you are Brad Pitt, although the other Brad Pitt and you would diverge due to different locations in space, you would still be equally real Brad Pitt's.

I have a degree in philosophy, so I think I'll be alright.


So, the original Brad Pitt is living his life. He drops by the lab to have his body scanned with extreme precision (though not destroyed, reassembled or teleported), and walks out again. While he is scanned, we assemble an atom-perfect copy of Brad Pitt - for convenience, we will refer to him as Brad Pitt*.

You suggest that both of these are the real Brad Pitt, and that people would be wrong if they said that Brad Pitt starred in Fight Club, whereas Brad Pitt* did not?


This is getting deep into philosophy (a very popular philosophy discussion, I might add), and while I do enjoy a philosophical discussion, it's frankly veering into deep off topic territory.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
marvellosity
Profile Joined January 2011
United Kingdom36161 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:44:13
August 03 2013 19:43 GMT
#2277
On August 04 2013 04:37 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:25 marvellosity wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


What's the context though? Certainly in this day, feeling some discomfort about someone who has gone through a whole set of experiences that you simply cannot relate to is understandable.

Can you draw that parallel with your analogy?


There's totally valid reasons that someone might feel discomfort about sleeping with a black woman or a trans woman. It doesn't automatically make you a bad person, but it also doesn't change the fact that you're a little bit racist/transphobic if you're selecting your sexual partners exclusively on these traits.


Just so you know, I'm just trying to flesh this out rather than antagonise

What are the valid reasons someone might feel discomfort with sleeping with a black person? I ask because each and every single trans person goes through an intensely personal and, I guess, difficult experience, unlike a black person.

Further, I'm not entirely sure why the totally inability to relate to this and therefore distance created or lack of understanding or whatever translates to transphobia. Explain?
[15:15] <Palmar> and yes marv, you're a total hottie
Darkwhite
Profile Joined June 2007
Norway355 Posts
August 03 2013 19:44 GMT
#2278
On August 04 2013 04:43 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:41 Darkwhite wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:31 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:26 Darkwhite wrote:
On August 04 2013 03:10 shinosai wrote:

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.


You have to be careful here, philosophy isn't straightforward.

If I change my name to Brad Pitt, shave my head like Brad Pitt, surgically alter my facial characteristics to look like Brad Pitt, do I eventually become Brad Pitt?

Do you think the Sorietes paradox shows there is no difference between Brad Pitt and a Brad Pitt impersonator?


If we did something like the teleporter experiment, where all your atoms are reassembled to be exactly like Brad Pitt's, then yes, you are Brad Pitt, although the other Brad Pitt and you would diverge due to different locations in space, you would still be equally real Brad Pitt's.

I have a degree in philosophy, so I think I'll be alright.


So, the original Brad Pitt is living his life. He drops by the lab to have his body scanned with extreme precision (though not destroyed, reassembled or teleported), and walks out again. While he is scanned, we assemble an atom-perfect copy of Brad Pitt - for convenience, we will refer to him as Brad Pitt*.

You suggest that both of these are the real Brad Pitt, and that people would be wrong if they said that Brad Pitt starred in Fight Club, whereas Brad Pitt* did not?


This is getting deep into philosophy (a very popular philosophy discussion, I might add), and while I do enjoy a philosophical discussion, it's frankly veering into deep off topic territory.


Thanks for giving a straight answer.
Darker than the sun's light; much stiller than the storm - slower than the lightning; just like the winter warm.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44355 Posts
August 03 2013 19:46 GMT
#2279
On August 04 2013 04:41 Darkwhite wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:31 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:26 Darkwhite wrote:
On August 04 2013 03:10 shinosai wrote:

This is a Sorites paradox: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sorites_paradox
It is not solved by letting everybody self-identify however they want.


Sorites paradox, if we actually make the comparison valid, would go something like this: We have a somewhat vague idea of what a man is, and a somewhat vague idea of what a woman is. In the analogy, we have a vague idea of the difference between grains of sand and a heap of sand.

Now, you argue that no matter how much of a transformation we make from a man to a woman, that person can never become a woman, because that person started out as a man. Even if the trans woman is identical to the cis woman, in the same way that the many, many grains of sand are identical to the heap, the transformation can never actually occur. In much the way the paradox argues that a grain of sand can never become a heap of sand.

I think you're right. Sorites paradox totally can apply to this.


You have to be careful here, philosophy isn't straightforward.

If I change my name to Brad Pitt, shave my head like Brad Pitt, surgically alter my facial characteristics to look like Brad Pitt, do I eventually become Brad Pitt?

Do you think the Sorietes paradox shows there is no difference between Brad Pitt and a Brad Pitt impersonator?


If we did something like the teleporter experiment, where all your atoms are reassembled to be exactly like Brad Pitt's, then yes, you are Brad Pitt, although the other Brad Pitt and you would diverge due to different locations in space, you would still be equally real Brad Pitt's.

I have a degree in philosophy, so I think I'll be alright.


So, the original Brad Pitt is living his life. He drops by the lab to have his body scanned with extreme precision (though not destroyed, reassembled or teleported), and walks out again. While he is scanned, we assemble an atom-perfect copy of Brad Pitt - for convenience, we will refer to him as Brad Pitt*.

You suggest that both of these are the real Brad Pitt, and that people would be wrong if they said that Brad Pitt starred in Fight Club, whereas Brad Pitt* did not?

You are not the atoms, you are the pattern in which they are organised. If that were not the case then you'd have bits of you everywhere from shed skin cells and the like.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
GGTeMpLaR
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United States7226 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-08-03 19:50:14
August 03 2013 19:48 GMT
#2280
On August 04 2013 04:41 shinosai wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 04 2013 04:38 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:35 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:24 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:22 shinosai wrote:
On August 04 2013 04:18 GGTeMpLaR wrote:
I agree 100% that the term "real" man or woman should be avoided entirely for those reasons.

I definitely wouldn't consider myself transphobic for not wanting to sleep with a trans though.


Would you not consider yourself a racist if you wanted to sleep with a biracial woman who you thought was white, but upon finding out she wasn't, decided you no longer wanted to sleep with her? If the answer is yes, then at least you're consistent, but I doubt the woman in question would feel the same way you do. If no, then you should reconsider your answer.


I think there are far more differences between the sexes than there are differences between "races".

The differences between man and woman, be it cis or trans, is far more significant than the differences between black and white.

I suppose it might be somewhat racist because I can't really think of any other reason someone would be upset over that for the reasons mentioned above


If you can agree that it's somewhat racist, then you should agree that you're a bit transphobic. Which is okay - you have a hangup that a lot of other people do, which is probably related to cultural upbringing.


I don't think it's a good analogy though, unless you're willing to admit the difference between a black man and a white man is as great as the difference between a white man and a white woman.

And I don't think you'd be willing to concede that. Correct me if I'm wrong.


I concede that the difference between a white woman and a biracial woman who appears white is less than or equal to the difference between a trans woman and a cis woman. It's a rather easy concession to make, since I don't think that there's a meaningful difference between trans women and cis women.


I think ideally in a future where the actual scientific transformation process is much more refined and thorough, you might be right. Currently though, I see a significant enough difference between cis and trans women to warrant not wanting to sleep with a trans woman. Going into where the line is drawn is where the paradox arises.

I definitely don't see how that makes me a transphobe. Further, I don't see how I am being inconsistent for thinking that in the situation regarding race, one actually might be somewhat racist for not wanting to sleep with someone who appears white but is actually biracial purely for the reason that they are biracial.
Prev 1 112 113 114 115 116 149 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
CranKy Ducklings79
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 1843
GuemChi 1607
Artosis 645
910 56
Bale 19
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm148
League of Legends
Doublelift3443
Counter-Strike
taco 57
minikerr4
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox218
Other Games
summit1g8874
shahzam611
JimRising 517
C9.Mang0350
PiGStarcraft280
Maynarde145
CosmosSc2 42
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick905
BasetradeTV203
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream18
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 113
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP74
• davetesta20
• Letter144
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
9h 1m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
10h 1m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
23h 1m
Patches Events
1d 15h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.