• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:10
CEST 17:10
KST 00:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9473 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 59

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 57 58 59 60 61 69 Next
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
August 20 2012 19:24 GMT
#1161
one lady in the top 10 global, all-time list has like 800 words learned.
Here be Dragons
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 19:46:33
August 20 2012 19:26 GMT
#1162
On August 21 2012 03:46 bardtown wrote:
How comfortably can you communicate in Chinese now? My ultimate aim with mandarin on memrise is to learn the entire 'Comprehensive' course (so 3000 words or so, just a bit less than you). With that done I'll focus on reading actual books/conversing in Chinese if that's feasible.


That's a very tricky question to answer, especially considering memrise only teaches vocabulary (you need to use other learning tools too) and I'm unsure precisely what you intend when you say "communicate". Other than memrise, which has comprised the vast majority of my learning, I've learned through graded readers (+ audio), the occasional consultation of a grammar book, and brief utterances with my girlfriend.

This has given me a rather skewed skillset: I can understand a surprisingly large amount of written Chinese (I can totally understand QQ conversations between native Chinese but can't read novels), can get the gist of Chinese tv shows when accompanied with subtitles, but have only extremely basic conversational abilities and am never sure if my sentences are grammatically correct.

Anyway, I'll give you some more useful advice, as your goals sound quite similar to mine.

1. Don't learn the "comprehensive course" as towards the end it's full of ridiculously uncommon words that you won't need for a long time. Ben Whately (the course creator) has stated it's only there for organisational purposes and that you should be relying on other graded courses (such as the HSK series) to learn. In fact, the best way to learn vocabulary is not to learn pre-existing lists at all, but to make your own lists of words that you have encountered in your studies. After getting halfway through the HSK5 word list, I made this realisation, and now I'm focusing on learning a custom-made word list full of words that are much more useful to me in daily life.

2. Get a textbook!

3. If your focus is on reading books, get some graded readers as soon as you know 300 words or more. They're invaluable in teaching grammar concepts and learning how to read/listen at full speed. I recommend Chinese Breeze to begin with (when you have less than 1000 words), then the Graded Chinese Reader series (Books 1-3) and the special Chinese learner edition of Ba Jin's trilogy (Family, Spring and Autumn).

4. If you want to be able to have fluent conversations, the best thing you can do is organise either a language exchange (if you're poor) or a 1-1 tutor (if you're rich). Find tutors/language partners to skype with if you have to. Skip group classes or non-individual tutors. They're not an efficient use of your time/money and you can pick up bad habits from other learners. If you're not willing to have a back-and-forth conversation, Chinese TV shows can be a good substitute. Go to chinese-forums.com, where they have a whole host of resources on chinese tv shows to learn with.

5. Keep using memrise. A large vocabulary does not give you any language ability just by itself, but it helps speed up the learning process.

6. Keep it slow and steady. No one ever learns Chinese as quickly as they think they will, and if you try to learn too quickly you'll burnout. (See Benny Lewis of FluentIn3Months.com fame.)

Edit: Oh, and if you are at all confused about the effort it takes to learn Chinese to complete comprehension, consider this: most native Chinese speakers will know somewhere in the region of 20000 words and university graduates can know upwards of 40000. This doesn't include idioms or regionalisms. In terms of characters, basic literacy is defined as knowing 3000 characters, and graduates can know more than 5000. To reach total fluency in Chinese is generally considered to take more than 4 times as long as a language close to English, such as French - approx 6000 hours total study time. In short, Chinese is the Mount Everest of languages.
VictorJones
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States235 Posts
August 20 2012 19:50 GMT
#1163
This is fantastic. Thanks for this
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
August 20 2012 19:57 GMT
#1164
Thanks for the in depth answer. I've already got a 'text book' (Teach Yourself series, seems to be good enough) mostly for the grammar. Where do you find these books? I can't remember the last time I bought a (first-hand) book anywhere except amazon, but I can't see the Ba Jin book there at least.
I will skip group classes. I had considered taking a module or two as I have some free choices at university, but it's not worth it especially as I'm very reliant on my own pace to learn well. Cramming suits me very well, and I have a good memory for the characters using my own weird assosciations. It's a shame the comprehensive list has a lot of obscure words, I'd love to have in one place all the characters needed for basic fluency.
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
August 20 2012 20:07 GMT
#1165
I am currently brainstorming some ideas for memrise, and one of them was a 'obscurity' rating that would be applied by native speakers, and you would be able to filter by it.

- common
- good to know
- obscure

(or something similar)
Here be Dragons
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
August 20 2012 20:30 GMT
#1166
On August 21 2012 05:07 Rimstalker wrote:
I am currently brainstorming some ideas for memrise, and one of them was a 'obscurity' rating that would be applied by native speakers, and you would be able to filter by it.

- common
- good to know
- obscure

(or something similar)


Please give some support to my idea for comprehensive language lists. That is to say, a list for each language that has every unique word with at least one mem. In combination with an obscurity rating system you could learn, for example, every single word from a language that was 'good to know' or 'common'. I think that would be ideal!
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
August 20 2012 20:31 GMT
#1167
On August 21 2012 05:30 bardtown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 05:07 Rimstalker wrote:
I am currently brainstorming some ideas for memrise, and one of them was a 'obscurity' rating that would be applied by native speakers, and you would be able to filter by it.

- common
- good to know
- obscure

(or something similar)


Please give some support to my idea for comprehensive language lists. That is to say, a list for each language that has every unique word with at least one mem. In combination with an obscurity rating system you could learn, for example, every single word from a language that was 'good to know' or 'common'. I think that would be ideal!

Where are you gonna get that from though? Someone needs to put in all the work to make those lists, which is a full time job easily.
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
August 20 2012 20:33 GMT
#1168
On August 21 2012 04:57 bardtown wrote:
Thanks for the in depth answer. I've already got a 'text book' (Teach Yourself series, seems to be good enough) mostly for the grammar. Where do you find these books? I can't remember the last time I bought a (first-hand) book anywhere except amazon, but I can't see the Ba Jin book there at least.
I will skip group classes. I had considered taking a module or two as I have some free choices at university, but it's not worth it especially as I'm very reliant on my own pace to learn well. Cramming suits me very well, and I have a good memory for the characters using my own weird assosciations. It's a shame the comprehensive list has a lot of obscure words, I'd love to have in one place all the characters needed for basic fluency.


For the UK, chinesebookshop.com. It's not cheap (be careful about delivery charges) but I haven't found many other places that sell everything in one place. I'd offer you my own books but they're already promised to someone else.

Cramming languages is inefficient. Cramming's great for exams and short-term memory tasks, but languages require you to create long-term memories. This is what memrise excels at.

If you really want pre-made lists use the HSK1-5 lists that are featured on memrise. This'll get you around 2500 words that are useful to all speakers. After a certain point you need to start making your own vocab lists though, because so much vocabulary is highly context specific.
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
August 20 2012 20:45 GMT
#1169
On August 21 2012 05:33 TheUltimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 04:57 bardtown wrote:
Thanks for the in depth answer. I've already got a 'text book' (Teach Yourself series, seems to be good enough) mostly for the grammar. Where do you find these books? I can't remember the last time I bought a (first-hand) book anywhere except amazon, but I can't see the Ba Jin book there at least.
I will skip group classes. I had considered taking a module or two as I have some free choices at university, but it's not worth it especially as I'm very reliant on my own pace to learn well. Cramming suits me very well, and I have a good memory for the characters using my own weird assosciations. It's a shame the comprehensive list has a lot of obscure words, I'd love to have in one place all the characters needed for basic fluency.


For the UK, chinesebookshop.com. It's not cheap (be careful about delivery charges) but I haven't found many other places that sell everything in one place. I'd offer you my own books but they're already promised to someone else.

Cramming languages is inefficient. Cramming's great for exams and short-term memory tasks, but languages require you to create long-term memories. This is what memrise excels at.

If you really want pre-made lists use the HSK1-5 lists that are featured on memrise. This'll get you around 2500 words that are useful to all speakers. After a certain point you need to start making your own vocab lists though, because so much vocabulary is highly context specific.


I cram at intervals though, so I still get the refreshing that makes memrise so effective. It might not be the most effective way, but I can't defy my inclinations on this :p. I've just finished the introduction course, so I'll do the 'first 500 characters' and then work through the HSK courses. After that I'll decide if it's worth doing the rest of the comprehensive course (I'm inclined to, having added it haha). Looking at that website now, looks like it will be useful. Thanks.

@Solidbebe It's not a full time job because it's reeelatively easy to code a comprehensive word list. And as it's a community-fed project (and 'a wiki' to quote someone else on here) the community could be mostly responsible (for rankings words obscurity level), with moderators just keeping on eye on things.
Seiferz
Profile Joined May 2011
United States640 Posts
August 20 2012 20:50 GMT
#1170
Add me to your TL list please~! My name is seifer on memrise.

I've slacked off lately because of class but I'll get back to it as soon as I can!
mierin
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4943 Posts
August 21 2012 00:12 GMT
#1171
Just thought I'd share this funny fact...I saw "o genro" as a word in portuguese, and added this mem!

Like the starcraft player, Jinro (kind of)

^.^
JD, Stork, Calm, Hyuk Fighting!
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
August 21 2012 02:51 GMT
#1172
On August 21 2012 00:46 bardtown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 00:27 robjapan wrote:
I'm TL-RobWalsh


Hehe, did you mean rank 17 all time of your cohort? I couldn't find you either looking on the leaderboard. Still way ahead of me


I meant the list of TL'ers
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
Phenny
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia1435 Posts
August 21 2012 03:33 GMT
#1173
OMG I completely forgot about this and now I remember like maybe 10% of my words (((
I better fix that hey.
CatNzHat
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
United States1599 Posts
August 21 2012 03:49 GMT
#1174
I'm not sure if this concept has been posted before, but I'd really like to see this feature implemented:
For languages like Korean, have the english key stroke equivalent under a "how to type" category. I've been doing this myself for my own sake, for example 국사 (Korean History) = rnrtk
I'm able to associate the string of English characters with the meaning in Korean, which helps me remember the word.
It also is quite convenient when learning new words to immediately be able to type them out a few times without having to pull up a hangul keyboard image and hunt and peck the keys out.

Seeing as there are libraries out there capable of doing the conversion I don't see implementing this to be too difficult. It would only be applicable to people fluent in some languages trying to learn another language with a different keyset (e.g. Koreans learning English, Americans learning Korean)

If there are others interested in this idea, or if it's been brought up before then please chime in. I'd love to hear other peoples thoughts and tricks for learning to type hangul.
TheKwas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Iceland372 Posts
August 21 2012 04:48 GMT
#1175
If you're serious about learning and communicating in Korea, I would suggest actually just ordering a Korean keyboard online, or just making small notes on each key. I think remembering the string of english letters is counter-productive to actually learning the word and the Korean alphabet.

At any rate, around 1000 words you should have a mental map of the koeran keyboard ingrained anyways.

Relevant: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=korean keyboard
tRavE
Profile Joined April 2012
United States23 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-21 05:27:50
August 21 2012 05:26 GMT
#1176
I'm on there as t-RavE, just started but I have a leg up in Korean because I've been learning it intensively for the past year now. Good luck to everyone! If anyone wants help, lemme know, I'm pretty far into Sino and other high level vocabulary as well(real life, not the site =P). Even conversationl and grammar topics, writing, speaking, listening, news, etc etc.
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
August 21 2012 05:46 GMT
#1177
Can someone explain to me why the Korean keyboard layout is so... funky?

The Japanese is pretty simple, if the word is 野菜 やさい yasai for example... you type in... yasai... so then why in gods name is Korean not made to match a standard English keyboard... ;-/

seriously, not trolling, I actually want to know!
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
Quesadilla
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States1814 Posts
August 21 2012 05:53 GMT
#1178
On August 21 2012 13:48 TheKwas wrote:
If you're serious about learning and communicating in Korea, I would suggest actually just ordering a Korean keyboard online, or just making small notes on each key. I think remembering the string of english letters is counter-productive to actually learning the word and the Korean alphabet.

At any rate, around 1000 words you should have a mental map of the koeran keyboard ingrained anyways.

Relevant: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=korean keyboard


I know less than 1,000 words, never took Korean classes and learned the entire keyboard in about a month of fooling around upon learning the alphabet. It's way easier than you'd think just finding each character until you get it right.
Make a lot of friends. Wear good clothes. Drink good beer. Love a nice girl.
CobaltBlu
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States919 Posts
August 21 2012 05:57 GMT
#1179
I'm not sure what your problem with the Korean keyboard layout is. All the consonants are on the left and the vowels on the right. I think that is pretty cool and it doesn't take to long to learn a new layout. Besides, a lot of the symbols change sound based upon where they are placed in a syllable block or what precedes or follows them or they don't match up with English letters in the first place.
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
August 21 2012 06:02 GMT
#1180
I dunno, it confuses the hell outta me, in Japanese you can just write words using the roman alphabet and it matches perfectly with the Japanese sound.

じゃ ー ja
しゃ ー sha
よ  ー yo

etc etc etc, when I tried hangul it asked me to input the "d" sound, I hit d and some other symbol came up! so, I'm guessing that Hangul is a bit too complex for a English keyboard?
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
Prev 1 57 58 59 60 61 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 50m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech137
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 5210
Bisu 2988
Soulkey 1614
Jaedong 727
EffOrt 612
Horang2 587
Mini 557
Larva 384
ZerO 296
actioN 256
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 242
Mind 108
Dewaltoss 96
sorry 92
Sea.KH 88
Sharp 83
hero 73
Barracks 73
Shinee 73
Pusan 57
Snow 54
Hyun 42
Bale 41
ToSsGirL 28
Trap 20
scan(afreeca) 19
Sacsri 15
Terrorterran 15
Rock 14
NaDa 13
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
zelot 8
Noble 7
Dota 2
Gorgc5294
qojqva2522
Dendi1353
420jenkins192
Counter-Strike
fl0m2565
x6flipin1293
Fnx 640
Other Games
hiko1090
Liquid`RaSZi775
B2W.Neo512
Lowko378
crisheroes296
DeMusliM264
Liquid`VortiX192
Livibee192
XBOCT189
QueenE103
Mew2King46
ZerO(Twitch)20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream30
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 69
• mYiSmile132
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 46
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV634
League of Legends
• Nemesis3301
• TFBlade530
• Noizen125
Other Games
• Shiphtur295
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
8h 50m
Patches Events
1d
The PondCast
1d 18h
INu's Battles
1d 19h
Percival vs TBD
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.