• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:47
CEST 07:47
KST 14:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 5693 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 58

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 69 Next
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
August 20 2012 15:27 GMT
#1141
I'm TL-RobWalsh
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
Atlasy
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Hungary229 Posts
August 20 2012 15:31 GMT
#1142
Could you add me as well? I'm Atlasy
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 15:48:22
August 20 2012 15:46 GMT
#1143
On August 21 2012 00:27 robjapan wrote:
I'm TL-RobWalsh


Hehe, did you mean rank 17 all time of your cohort? I couldn't find you either looking on the leaderboard. Still way ahead of me
YouthSC
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom355 Posts
August 20 2012 15:55 GMT
#1144
YouthSC :/ no TL- tag
for korean, french, german and japanese

lets do this! it's fucking epic btw
The more I practice, the luckier I get!
ToT)OjKa(
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Korea (South)2437 Posts
August 20 2012 15:57 GMT
#1145
For Japanese, I recommend learning the hiragana and katakana, the 150 kanji radicals and then moving over to this site:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/
It's actually an amazing resource this guy has made and updates.

Check out the grammar guide. It's a good way to actually learn the language and you pick up kanji which are used in the sentences along the way.
OjKa OjKa OjKa!
TheRealPaciFist
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1049 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 16:18:33
August 20 2012 16:16 GMT
#1146
Is there a way to start off on a higher difficulty in memrise? I don't want to take forever grinding out words I already know (would be useful for English as well!)

edit: Oh I just found a list of Spanish courses... the website's kind of confusing, in that it has different behavior upon identical actions (I didn't see this list before, but I got to it just by pressing on "Spanish" like the fourth time, because I kept going in circles...)
Second favorite strategy game of all time: Starcraft. First: Go (aka Wei Qi, Paduk, or Igo)
Atom Cannister
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Germany380 Posts
August 20 2012 16:22 GMT
#1147
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S
...
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
August 20 2012 16:24 GMT
#1148
On August 21 2012 01:16 TheRealPaciFist wrote:
Is there a way to start off on a higher difficulty in memrise? I don't want to take forever grinding out words I already know (would be useful for English as well!)

edit: Oh I just found a list of Spanish courses... the website's kind of confusing, in that it has different behavior upon identical actions (I didn't see this list before, but I got to it just by pressing on "Spanish" like the fourth time, because I kept going in circles...)


If you're sure about that then put it on the memrise forums as a glitch. I can't say that's ever happened to me (though I'm not learning Spanish) but if you report it they usually do pay attention.

@YouthSC
Click on settings and you'll be able to add a TL- tag to your name
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
August 20 2012 16:31 GMT
#1149
On August 21 2012 01:16 TheRealPaciFist wrote:
Is there a way to start off on a higher difficulty in memrise? I don't want to take forever grinding out words I already know (would be useful for English as well!)

edit: Oh I just found a list of Spanish courses... the website's kind of confusing, in that it has different behavior upon identical actions (I didn't see this list before, but I got to it just by pressing on "Spanish" like the fourth time, because I kept going in circles...)


The memrise team have been looking at this problem for quite some time, but the only workaround right now is to choose the "ignore word" option for every word you already know when it comes up in a test (you can find this option during testing by hovering your mouse over the name of the language you're learning - a menu should appear with the ignore option in it). This can still be quite tedious if you already know 1000s of words in your target language.
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
August 20 2012 16:34 GMT
#1150
On August 21 2012 01:22 Atom Cannister wrote:
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S


I can't speak for anyone else, but I have scored well by dedicating on average 30 minutes a day since the beginning of November. There's no substitute for consistency when you're learning a language.

Also, once you get used to the tests it's possible to do even the most complicated typing tests in less than 5 seconds - that speeds things up a lot!
TheRealPaciFist
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States1049 Posts
August 20 2012 16:38 GMT
#1151
On August 21 2012 01:24 bardtown wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 01:16 TheRealPaciFist wrote:
Is there a way to start off on a higher difficulty in memrise? I don't want to take forever grinding out words I already know (would be useful for English as well!)

edit: Oh I just found a list of Spanish courses... the website's kind of confusing, in that it has different behavior upon identical actions (I didn't see this list before, but I got to it just by pressing on "Spanish" like the fourth time, because I kept going in circles...)


If you're sure about that then put it on the memrise forums as a glitch. I can't say that's ever happened to me (though I'm not learning Spanish) but if you report it they usually do pay attention.

@YouthSC
Click on settings and you'll be able to add a TL- tag to your name


Ah, not a glitch, just me being dumb. One of the buttons acts differently if you're signed in, and another button I was treating the same way was actually labeled as "intro."

On August 21 2012 01:31 TheUltimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 01:16 TheRealPaciFist wrote:
Is there a way to start off on a higher difficulty in memrise? I don't want to take forever grinding out words I already know (would be useful for English as well!)

edit: Oh I just found a list of Spanish courses... the website's kind of confusing, in that it has different behavior upon identical actions (I didn't see this list before, but I got to it just by pressing on "Spanish" like the fourth time, because I kept going in circles...)


The memrise team have been looking at this problem for quite some time, but the only workaround right now is to choose the "ignore word" option for every word you already know when it comes up in a test (you can find this option during testing by hovering your mouse over the name of the language you're learning - a menu should appear with the ignore option in it). This can still be quite tedious if you already know 1000s of words in your target language.


Well, should work well enough I hope

Site looks pretty cool overall, I'll definitely be playing with it. And also

On August 21 2012 00:57 ToT)OjKa( wrote:
For Japanese, I recommend learning the hiragana and katakana, the 150 kanji radicals and then moving over to this site:

http://www.guidetojapanese.org/learn/
It's actually an amazing resource this guy has made and updates.

Check out the grammar guide. It's a good way to actually learn the language and you pick up kanji which are used in the sentences along the way.


Thanks, I've been thinking about learning Japanese or Korean, and that looks like a good place to start =)
Second favorite strategy game of all time: Starcraft. First: Go (aka Wei Qi, Paduk, or Igo)
Atom Cannister
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
Germany380 Posts
August 20 2012 16:58 GMT
#1152
On August 21 2012 01:34 TheUltimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 01:22 Atom Cannister wrote:
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S


I can't speak for anyone else, but I have scored well by dedicating on average 30 minutes a day since the beginning of November. There's no substitute for consistency when you're learning a language.

Also, once you get used to the tests it's possible to do even the most complicated typing tests in less than 5 seconds - that speeds things up a lot!

Thanks for the answer.
How many course are you taking at once?
...
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
August 20 2012 17:17 GMT
#1153
On August 21 2012 01:58 Atom Cannister wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 01:34 TheUltimate wrote:
On August 21 2012 01:22 Atom Cannister wrote:
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S


I can't speak for anyone else, but I have scored well by dedicating on average 30 minutes a day since the beginning of November. There's no substitute for consistency when you're learning a language.

Also, once you get used to the tests it's possible to do even the most complicated typing tests in less than 5 seconds - that speeds things up a lot!

Thanks for the answer.
How many course are you taking at once?


You can see that for yourself (for any user)

http://www.memrise.com/user/TL-TheUltimate/ - in the lower right corner
Here be Dragons
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
August 20 2012 17:25 GMT
#1154
On August 21 2012 01:58 Atom Cannister wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 01:34 TheUltimate wrote:
On August 21 2012 01:22 Atom Cannister wrote:
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S


I can't speak for anyone else, but I have scored well by dedicating on average 30 minutes a day since the beginning of November. There's no substitute for consistency when you're learning a language.

Also, once you get used to the tests it's possible to do even the most complicated typing tests in less than 5 seconds - that speeds things up a lot!

Thanks for the answer.
How many course are you taking at once?


If you're just beginning by the way, you start to earn a lot more points when you have quite a few words in long term memory.
Wunder
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2950 Posts
August 20 2012 17:39 GMT
#1155
Oops, didn't put in a TL tag - but I'm Wunder, learning Malay, Chinese and Korean!
Writer@joonjoewong
TheAura
Profile Joined November 2010
96 Posts
August 20 2012 17:40 GMT
#1156
Hows the ihpone app for this? I used it when it first came out but found it was very poor at the time. Anybody know if it has improved since its release?
Wunder
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United Kingdom2950 Posts
August 20 2012 17:48 GMT
#1157
Are Mempals mutual, or is the only point of adding someone as a Mempal so that you have someone else on the leaderboard to chase?
Writer@joonjoewong
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
August 20 2012 18:32 GMT
#1158
On August 21 2012 01:58 Atom Cannister wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 01:34 TheUltimate wrote:
On August 21 2012 01:22 Atom Cannister wrote:
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S


I can't speak for anyone else, but I have scored well by dedicating on average 30 minutes a day since the beginning of November. There's no substitute for consistency when you're learning a language.

Also, once you get used to the tests it's possible to do even the most complicated typing tests in less than 5 seconds - that speeds things up a lot!

Thanks for the answer.
How many course are you taking at once?


I've done 15 courses, as you can see on the page Rimstalker pointed out. They all have significant overlap though, so my total words learned is around 3400 (bear in mind that Mandarin words, comprising both character and pronunciation aspects give twice as many tests as, say, German words).

It only works out to less than 15 words a day since I started memrise, which is a very reasonable goal for a serious language learner to shoot for - especially if it's an "easy" language.

In any case, don't worry about the points - just focus on the learning you're doing. Ultimately chasing a larger "epeen" is a gigantic waste of time. No one cares.

On August 21 2012 02:40 TheAura wrote:
Hows the ihpone app for this? I used it when it first came out but found it was very poor at the time. Anybody know if it has improved since its release?


It's much better than it was, but I still think memrise is meant to be used with a keyboard. Multiple choice questions can't take your learning past a certain point.


On August 21 2012 02:48 Wunder wrote:
Are Mempals mutual, or is the only point of adding someone as a Mempal so that you have someone else on the leaderboard to chase?


Just for the leaderboard. (Or to give someone a warm fuzzy feeling from the knowledge that someone out there likes them.;P)
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
August 20 2012 18:46 GMT
#1159
On August 21 2012 03:32 TheUltimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 01:58 Atom Cannister wrote:
On August 21 2012 01:34 TheUltimate wrote:
On August 21 2012 01:22 Atom Cannister wrote:
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S


I can't speak for anyone else, but I have scored well by dedicating on average 30 minutes a day since the beginning of November. There's no substitute for consistency when you're learning a language.

Also, once you get used to the tests it's possible to do even the most complicated typing tests in less than 5 seconds - that speeds things up a lot!

Thanks for the answer.
How many course are you taking at once?


I've done 15 courses, as you can see on the page Rimstalker pointed out. They all have significant overlap though, so my total words learned is around 3400 (bear in mind that Mandarin words, comprising both character and pronunciation aspects give twice as many tests as, say, German words).

It only works out to less than 15 words a day since I started memrise, which is a very reasonable goal for a serious language learner to shoot for - especially if it's an "easy" language.

In any case, don't worry about the points - just focus on the learning you're doing. Ultimately chasing a larger "epeen" is a gigantic waste of time. No one cares.

Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 02:40 TheAura wrote:
Hows the ihpone app for this? I used it when it first came out but found it was very poor at the time. Anybody know if it has improved since its release?


It's much better than it was, but I still think memrise is meant to be used with a keyboard. Multiple choice questions can't take your learning past a certain point.


Show nested quote +
On August 21 2012 02:48 Wunder wrote:
Are Mempals mutual, or is the only point of adding someone as a Mempal so that you have someone else on the leaderboard to chase?


Just for the leaderboard. (Or to give someone a warm fuzzy feeling from the knowledge that someone out there likes them.;P)


How comfortably can you communicate in Chinese now? My ultimate aim with mandarin on memrise is to learn the entire 'Comprehensive' course (so 3000 words or so, just a bit less than you). With that done I'll focus on reading actual books/conversing in Chinese if that's feasible.
ZeroChrome
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada1001 Posts
August 20 2012 18:53 GMT
#1160
On August 21 2012 01:22 Atom Cannister wrote:
Anyone recommend any German course there?

Also, how do people score so highly? Is it from learning multiple languages or maybe just having a lot of gardens? I only have 3... :S


Well, you score 3 times as many points for watering wilting words than you do for practicing healthy ones, so once you get a ton of words you'll have to water a lot of them each day and this will get you a lot of points. Around the time that this thread was first posted you got the same amount of points for practicing words you already knew so some people racked up a huge amount of points just by doing the same words over and over again.

Rimstalker, please also add my to your list; TL-ZeroChrome
Forward
Prev 1 56 57 58 59 60 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 119
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2234
GuemChi 637
Snow 170
Leta 130
Bale 30
Noble 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 11
Icarus 8
Dota 2
febbydoto12
League of Legends
JimRising 629
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King140
Other Games
summit1g7116
WinterStarcraft353
C9.Mang0259
Sick153
ViBE81
Trikslyr36
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick492
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 110
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2177
League of Legends
• Lourlo1390
• Stunt488
Other Games
• Shiphtur543
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
5h 14m
Patches Events
10h 14m
The PondCast
1d 4h
INu's Battles
1d 5h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 16h
Replay Cast
1d 17h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.