• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:50
CEST 15:50
KST 22:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8074 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 57

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 55 56 57 58 59 69 Next
TheKwas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Iceland372 Posts
August 16 2012 11:25 GMT
#1121
Start with one of the beginner lists if you want the important words first.

A good beginner list is the TOPIK list (levels 1-2)
http://www.memrise.com/set/10001438/topik-korean-vocabulary-list/
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
August 16 2012 14:43 GMT
#1122
On August 16 2012 19:32 Tobberoth wrote:
Sort of annoyed with memrise right now. I have two Korean "lists", comprehensive korean and korean master list. Problem is, I have the same damn words in both, which is bad because I overexpose (basically, you need to space repetitions out properly or it won't get stuck in long term memory). Question is, which list do I stick with?

Another problem is that the order of the words you get is downright stupid. Why is one of my first 10 words "speed limit" and "to conceal"? How about IMPORTANT words like "to sleep", "important" and such?

Does anyone know which korean list is the best?


That's supposed to be avoided in memrise - duplicate words should be merged into one entry, so even if your lists overlap a great deal, you don't get the same word multiple times. In more active and heavily moderated topics (such as Mandarin) this isn't a problem, but maybe the Korean topic still needs to be cleared up a bit.

If you leave a comment on each of the duplicate words you're coming across, however, the moderators will notice and take action to clean up the database - they're quite good at responding to user feedback.

As for getting stupid words first, I agree this is a problem. (And it's a very common problem in language learning. For instance, I learned how to say "cyanide" in Chinese from a beginner book before I even knew 500 characters.) Ultimately this just requires more database cleanup, which will take time and user participation - memrise is basically a wiki after all.
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
August 19 2012 20:48 GMT
#1123
Scores for this week:

+ Show Spoiler +
1stTL-SweetFaceCake111,318
2ndTL-Voidphase95,047
3rdTL-Rimstalker88,558
4thTL-ShadowDrgn68,134
5ththomas080658,552
6thTL_RedStar54,999
7thTL_FluXxxx38,232
8thTL-aQuaSC37,412
9thjaehong30,742
10thTL-StillRooney30,157
11thTL-Ios29,864
12thTL-AtomCannister23,203
13thTL-RobWalsh22,335
14thSteven7721,655
15thTL-TheUltimate21,344
16thTL-njoobee21,069
17thTL-solidbebe20,986
18thTL-AntiPlaster15,631
19thTL-legofranak12,152
20thTL-Quails11,720
21stTL-NotDeadJustSlob10,946
22ndTL-rarkon9,932
23rdTL-yenticha7,669
24thTL-Traceback7,351
25thTL-Toad6,533
26thThatHorse5,948
27thTL-Luddff3,658
28thTL_Jragon2,988
29thTL-x2mirko1,643
30thTL-CraZyWayne1,362
31stbenwhately1,281
32ndTL-Tanner1,112
33rdTL-Fusil685
34thTL-Kralle618
35thTL-Cephiro100
36thTL-drunkenJedi100


all time scores (note that there are three non-TLers on my mempal list)

+ Show Spoiler +
1stTL-TheUltimate3,463,072
2ndTL-Traceback2,502,124
3rdbenwhately2,367,919
4thTL-ShadowDrgn2,207,474
5thTL-njoobee2,115,175
6thTL-Talafar2,073,462
7thTL_FluXxxx1,762,199
8thTL-HotShizz1,568,405
9thTL-SweetFaceCake1,512,154
10thTL-Ios1,238,960
11thThatHorse1,219,316
12thTL-Rimstalker1,146,200
13thTL-AntiPlaster1,025,296
14thTL-Pandaz1,023,298
15thTL-legofranak928,069
16thTL-ZergZoul857,996
17thTL_RedStar786,378
18thTL-RobWalsh776,514
19thTL-drunkenJedi759,986
20thTL-Axieoqu677,531
21stTL-Kralle659,201
22ndTL-Phineas642,076
23rdjaehong622,906
24thtl-moon777605,769
25ththomas0806567,715
26thTL-Luddff542,930
27thTL-NotDeadJustSlob530,768
28thTL-Chili527,310
29thTL-SSH525,528
30thTL-Quails510,207
31stTL-Babyfactory496,097
32ndmoni_tarc492,114
33rdTL-Kjellstroem475,980
34thTL-StillRooney433,839
35thTL-sword423,042
36th_deleted_120224_0959_55414,841
37thTL-Canus401,358
38thTL-Atlan400,843
39thTL-Pandaling394,915
40thTL-Emergency385,709
41stTL-snpnx379,865
42ndTL-wollhandkrabbe368,878
43rdTL-djinftw356,248
44thTL-SwAMi352,773
45thTL-yenticha342,738
46thTL-iplayBANJO319,306
47thTL-Tribu312,365
48thTL-Venom-BRA304,299
49thTL-Tanner298,249
50thTL-Ximeng282,201
51stTL-aQuaSC261,096
52ndTL-mordek257,863
53rdTL-terranluser247,461
54thTL-Phyren221,350
55thTL-Acechi219,115
56thTL-Ni7E213,823
57thTL-Skygrinder207,719
58thTL-Kaiwa202,655
59thTL-x2mirko200,805
60thTL-rarkon196,035
61stTL-pRo9aMeR187,630
62ndTL-Superiorwolf184,137
63rdTL-DrTjEckleburg182,260
64thST-TL_BOMBER181,315
65thTL-Killbydeath178,772
66thTL-Freedom164,174
67thTL-Mercadia159,101
68thTL-jesushooves157,587
69thTL_Jragon155,301
70thTL-Mowgli154,623
71stTL-mstarz154,074
72ndTL-scintilliaSD151,089
73rdSteven77148,138
74thTL-Vforce147,218
75thTL-LaDilettante146,403
76thTL-Otter145,929
77thTL-PikaChu142,594
78thTL-Void136,934
79thTL-IU133,564
80thTL-JmCw129,593
81stTLconTAgi0n126,754
82ndTL-NDDseer124,989
83rdTL-Vandroy124,965
84thTL-Toad123,167
85thTL-EunWoo122,150
86thTL-Latedi112,257
87thTL-mewvolk111,388
88thTL-antiRW111,080
89thphacebook108,273
90thTL-AtomCannister106,445
91stTL-Clow103,389
92ndTL-Colour99,885
93rdTL-Voidphase95,047
94thTL-Iyerbeth90,533
95thTL-cantdance81,912
96thTL-InDaHouse75,546
97thTL-FILM74,632
98thTL-Ironchef73,882
99thTL-Suc73,370
100thTL-hedges72,483
Here be Dragons
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
August 20 2012 04:41 GMT
#1124
add me to the list!
i'm tldead9
mierin
Profile Joined August 2010
United States4943 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 04:47:00
August 20 2012 04:45 GMT
#1125
I'm learning português right now...what an AWESOME freaking site!! Even though I'm not learning Korean, I still feel like this deserves a bump. I'm also mierin on memrise, just like I'm mierin on TL.
JD, Stork, Calm, Hyuk Fighting!
Chuggles
Profile Joined November 2011
United Kingdom16 Posts
August 20 2012 05:04 GMT
#1126
This looks amazing! I'm TL-Chuggles and I'm learning korean and japaneese
oops
bardtown
Profile Joined June 2011
England2313 Posts
August 20 2012 11:35 GMT
#1127
I'm glad to see this thread is still here and that people are still joining up I miss the days when more than 50% of the top 100 was TL :p.

I'm using a new account so if anybody wants to add me to lists/mempals my name now is TL-Whynot, and I'm learning French, Mandarin and Norwegian.
Catbus
Profile Joined June 2011
80 Posts
August 20 2012 11:55 GMT
#1128
Does anyone have good tips of japanese courses? I tried a few but they had really few words in them or were described as advanced. I want to learn alot of basic words, prefferably with pronounciation and written i western alphabet.

Or should just learn katakana first and then try words?
Any suggestions?

Cheers!
solidbebe
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4921 Posts
August 20 2012 12:03 GMT
#1129
On August 20 2012 20:55 Catbus wrote:
Does anyone have good tips of japanese courses? I tried a few but they had really few words in them or were described as advanced. I want to learn alot of basic words, prefferably with pronounciation and written i western alphabet.

Or should just learn katakana first and then try words?
Any suggestions?

Cheers!

I doubt you can learn katakana/hiragana/kanji using memrise, I think it assumes you already how it works for the courses. Try the japanese- romaji and just click on a few. One course I have now is simply called 'japanese' and has 123 standard words. The list of courses isnt optimal though I wish they'd give some more information on each course.
That's the 2nd time in a week I've seen someone sig a quote from this GD and I have never witnessed a sig quote happen in my TL history ever before. -Najda
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
August 20 2012 12:08 GMT
#1130
The JLPT N5-N4-N3-N2 and N1 lists are pretty good and are constantly being fixed or changed where bits are a bit weird.

and woo... 13th for the week and 17th all time!
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
MasterOfChaos
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
Germany2896 Posts
August 20 2012 12:08 GMT
#1131
On August 20 2012 20:55 Catbus wrote:
Does anyone have good tips of japanese courses? I tried a few but they had really few words in them or were described as advanced. I want to learn alot of basic words, prefferably with pronounciation and written i western alphabet.

Or should just learn katakana first and then try words?
Any suggestions?

Cheers!

I'd learn hiragana first, and then JLPT courses, starting with N5.
LiquipediaOne eye to kill. Two eyes to live.
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
August 20 2012 12:40 GMT
#1132
Oh wow, it truly has been a long time since I've used memrise :p Moved on to a normal textbook for grammar and stuff (Spanish).
I'm going back to train my vocabulary again, but I've got a pile of wilting plants to water now (appr. 1.4k) :p
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
August 20 2012 12:41 GMT
#1133
On August 20 2012 21:08 robjapan wrote:
The JLPT N5-N4-N3-N2 and N1 lists are pretty good and are constantly being fixed or changed where bits are a bit weird.

and woo... 13th for the week and 17th all time!


Should I add you to the TL-list?
Here be Dragons
DueleR
Profile Joined May 2010
United States207 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-20 12:55:33
August 20 2012 12:53 GMT
#1134
TL-DueleR here, it's been a while since I've seen this thread! I found out about memrise from this thread and used it pretty intensely when I first started learning french, i think I was the 2nd person (after TL-pandaz) to make the all time top 100 under a TL name. I haven't used it since January or so, just logged in and I'm down all the way to rank 866 now, haha

I've studied French for almost 9 months now, and even though I only used memrise the first month, I think it was incredibly helpful in giving me a solid base of vocabulary to work with. I used a couple different course-type sources after memrise (Assimiml's new french with ease, mainly) and then moved on to watching French starcraft 2 casts because I figured what better way to merge my two big hobbies in life, starcraft and learning french. It was a bit frustrating for a few months since some days I would feel like I could understand a lot, but many days I couldn't understand anything. Luckily there are some great French casters (Pomf and Thud come to mind) who are exciting and speak very clear French :p I also watched a ton of French movies.

After about 4-5 months of watching native french material, I'm finally able to watch something and get most of the sentences, even if there are gaps here and there, but I can almost always get the gist anyway. it's really a great feeling. And I think memrise was a big part of getting me started on the right foot
robjapan
Profile Joined April 2011
Japan104 Posts
August 20 2012 14:25 GMT
#1135
On August 20 2012 21:41 Rimstalker wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2012 21:08 robjapan wrote:
The JLPT N5-N4-N3-N2 and N1 lists are pretty good and are constantly being fixed or changed where bits are a bit weird.

and woo... 13th for the week and 17th all time!


Should I add you to the TL-list?


Please!
Cheese is only cheese when you lose, when you win it's a valid tactic
Tobberoth
Profile Joined August 2010
Sweden6375 Posts
August 20 2012 14:33 GMT
#1136
On August 20 2012 20:55 Catbus wrote:
Does anyone have good tips of japanese courses? I tried a few but they had really few words in them or were described as advanced. I want to learn alot of basic words, prefferably with pronounciation and written i western alphabet.

Or should just learn katakana first and then try words?
Any suggestions?

Cheers!

Learn to read and write kana first. It literally won't even take you a week if you work at it, it's decently logical and not too much content. You can't even start to learn japanese properly without kana, it makes way too much of an impact, so get it overwith first.

Then, as has been stated above, use JLPT lists. Not only will it help you pass the tests which is a nice bonus, but it will give you a nice progression since JLPT is THE standard for japanese learning, and there's pretty much not a single word on those vocabulary lists which you won't find useful if you mean to get really good at Japanese.
Cook
Profile Joined May 2011
France130 Posts
August 20 2012 14:35 GMT
#1137
Just noticed there was a list...

You can add me there: TL-Cook

seenster
Profile Joined December 2010
Germany385 Posts
August 20 2012 14:54 GMT
#1138
for the list: TL-seenster
language: ukrainian
ahswtini
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Northern Ireland22213 Posts
August 20 2012 15:03 GMT
#1139
Swiss-German section doesn't look too developed, but I'll give it a go anyway!
"As I've said, balance isn't about strategies or counters, it's about probability and statistics." - paralleluniverse
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
August 20 2012 15:14 GMT
#1140
added you guys. Well apart from robjapan, whom I can't find.

Made my first attempt at recording audio for some German, let's see what Ben has to say to that.
Here be Dragons
Prev 1 55 56 57 58 59 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1070
RotterdaM575
SteadfastSC290
TKL 215
Rex120
CosmosSc2 35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 535
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 215
Rex 120
CosmosSc2 35
Codebar 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45081
Shuttle 2519
Jaedong 1117
Calm 1044
Horang2 810
Mini 624
actioN 544
EffOrt 530
Soulkey 479
Soma 360
[ Show more ]
Stork 301
Rush 294
Larva 282
BeSt 221
Snow 192
ZerO 171
firebathero 133
Mong 119
Zeus 106
Last 91
910 74
Mind 68
hero 67
Free 66
Hyun 58
Sharp 56
PianO 39
Pusan 34
sorry 34
Shinee 32
JYJ 26
Bale 25
Shine 25
Hm[arnc] 24
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 22
Aegong 21
HiyA 21
Terrorterran 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Rock 10
Sacsri 10
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4998
Dendi1276
Counter-Strike
fl0m1842
Fnx 575
edward49
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King170
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes585
Lowko371
Other Games
gofns24318
singsing2178
olofmeister1284
hiko588
B2W.Neo337
DeMusliM228
Livibee188
Pyrionflax166
Liquid`VortiX119
Khaldor76
QueenE73
Trikslyr60
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1455
Other Games
BasetradeTV172
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH175
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2035
• Jankos1437
• TFBlade463
Other Games
• Shiphtur663
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 10m
The PondCast
20h 10m
INu's Battles
21h 10m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.