• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 03:29
CEST 09:29
KST 16:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8610 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 55

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 53 54 55 56 57 69 Next
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
July 20 2012 18:21 GMT
#1081
Like 100 other people have already made that suggestion in the past, don't worry about it.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
July 21 2012 02:44 GMT
#1082
I started this a couple of days ago. (ID: TL-Birdie)I'm currently learning Korean and Maori, and find it pretty useful for motivating me to learn languages that I've always wanted to learn but lack the drive to study in a book. I also started a little competition with some friends on another SC site to earn site currency for being the top of the mempal leaderboard each week :D

Nearly got the Korean alphabet memorized, although I already knew some of the alphabet so I had a headstart on that. The Korean audio for the alphabet sounds faked by a computer rather than having an actual person saying them, although maybe that's just me. I still don't know how to pronounce ㅓ correctly

Is there anyone running a TL mempal leaderboard by friending all the TLers and then, say screenshotting it each week to see who's doing the best?
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
July 21 2012 04:52 GMT
#1083
I think TL-TheUltimate tried to add every TL Memrise user awhile back. I'm not sure what his account name here is though.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
July 21 2012 10:53 GMT
#1084
Unfortunately I don't keep track of most TL users anymore, since a lot of them became inactive many months ago - I use my mempals leaderboard to track my RL friends nowadays, and I've kept a couple of the top TL users.

Oh, and my account name here is TheUltimate
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
July 21 2012 13:18 GMT
#1085
Quick question about Korean? Is there anyway to change the settings so the korea sounds and letters correspond with a standard QWERTY keyboards? For examble the sound ㅂ is b and on the standard keyboard is on the letter q.
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
Nevermind86
Profile Joined August 2009
Somalia429 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 14:28:17
July 21 2012 13:44 GMT
#1086
I have a question for you guys: I'm interested in using memrise for brasilian portuguese and mandarin international, the question is:

HOW GOOD IS THE PRONONCIATION of the words?, I've been using memrise for french for well over a year and the prononciation is pretty good, since it's done by native guys and all of that, is it as good for these 2 languages? and the mandarin in the webpage is it the one they speak in pekin and mainland china or the taiwan dialect?, and last how about the prononciation for russian and japanese? do all the languages sound like good native speakers?

EDIT: Portuguese brazilian sounds pretty good as far as I can tell, but the sound is so low that I have to put my headphones to 100% and still doesn't sound loud enough... because I live close to a highway, this is a problem because I'll have to use it at night only
Interviewer: Many people hate you and would like to see you dead. How does that make you feel? Trevor Goodchild: Those people should get to know me a little better. Then they'd know I don't indulge in feelings.
REDBLUEGREEN
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Germany1904 Posts
July 21 2012 13:46 GMT
#1087
On July 21 2012 22:18 Retgery wrote:
Quick question about Korean? Is there anyway to change the settings so the korea sounds and letters correspond with a standard QWERTY keyboards? For examble the sound ㅂ is b and on the standard keyboard is on the letter q.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=22339
I used it to make phonetic layouts for Russian and Mongolian because it was too fucking confusing...н corresponds to [n] but the position on keyboard is neither one -.-
I don't know how much sense it makes for Korean though. I think it is a very logical layout. Consonants on the left, vowels on the right, simple consonants in top row next to each other, aspirated consonants in bottom row next to each other and mostly compound vowels and iotized vowels in top row and simple vowels in middle row.
Also i don't know where you would put all the iotized vowels in qwerty
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-21 18:22:20
July 21 2012 18:20 GMT
#1088
On July 21 2012 22:44 Nevermind86 wrote:
HOW GOOD IS THE PRONONCIATION of the words?, I've been using memrise for french for well over a year and the prononciation is pretty good, since it's done by native guys and all of that, is it as good for these 2 languages? and the mandarin in the webpage is it the one they speak in pekin and mainland china or the taiwan dialect?, and last how about the prononciation for russian and japanese? do all the languages sound like good native speakers?


My native Chinese gf says the Mandarin recording sound authentic. They're all recorded in Standard Mandarin - the official lingua franca of the mainland that all learners aspire to - which is close to the Beijing accent (though it's actually closer to the accent spoken to the north of Beijing), and further from the Taiwanese dialect. The differences between the 3 are quite minor though, and native speakers find them easily mutually intelligible.

(Actually, on occasion the pronunciation isn't perfect, cause the speaker lets a bit of a Beijing accent creep in, but most of the time it's very neutral Standard.)
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-22 02:04:38
July 22 2012 02:03 GMT
#1089
Is it just me or does the Korean audio for the alphabet sound really fake and computergenerated?

I'll probably be buying a few packs of stickers for Korean letters and leaving the keyboard as the standard Korean layout, switch between English and Korean with Shift Alt or whatever it is.
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
Nevermind86
Profile Joined August 2009
Somalia429 Posts
July 27 2012 14:27 GMT
#1090
How do I delete a course anyway? I don't want to do my brasilian courses anymore but I don't want to see them either, is there no option to delete them or should I just do not do them anymore?
Interviewer: Many people hate you and would like to see you dead. How does that make you feel? Trevor Goodchild: Those people should get to know me a little better. Then they'd know I don't indulge in feelings.
ToT)OjKa(
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Korea (South)2437 Posts
July 27 2012 16:30 GMT
#1091
On your main page you should see an 'X' next to each of your gardens.
OjKa OjKa OjKa!
EtherealDeath
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States8366 Posts
July 27 2012 22:01 GMT
#1092
Anyone up for a friendly TL skritter group? If you don't know what it is, it's memrise for mandarin but much much better, albeit with a fee, although there is a 1 week trial. Really worth the money imo. I got a 6 month license for $40. Reviewing learned words is perpetually free as well.

A friendly group to egg each other on in progress would be fun!
Toadesstern
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Germany16350 Posts
July 27 2012 22:26 GMT
#1093
On July 21 2012 22:44 Nevermind86 wrote:
I have a question for you guys: I'm interested in using memrise for brasilian portuguese and mandarin international, the question is:

HOW GOOD IS THE PRONONCIATION of the words?, I've been using memrise for french for well over a year and the prononciation is pretty good, since it's done by native guys and all of that, is it as good for these 2 languages? and the mandarin in the webpage is it the one they speak in pekin and mainland china or the taiwan dialect?, and last how about the prononciation for russian and japanese? do all the languages sound like good native speakers?

EDIT: Portuguese brazilian sounds pretty good as far as I can tell, but the sound is so low that I have to put my headphones to 100% and still doesn't sound loud enough... because I live close to a highway, this is a problem because I'll have to use it at night only


as far as I know they're only allowing native speakers to record pronunciation files in general.
I'm like 99% sure I read that 2 days ago when checking something out but I didn't check the timestamp so it might be outdated?

<Elem> >toad in charge of judging lewdness <Elem> how bad can it be <Elem> also wew, that is actually p lewd.
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-28 02:42:38
July 28 2012 02:40 GMT
#1094
Improving on my mandarin pronouncation, speaking cantonese and comprehending half-assed mandarin doesn't cut it anymore.

edit: I noticed the male pronouncation is a bit hard to pick-up. And the others seem over-emphasised.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
SHOOG
Profile Blog Joined December 2011
United States1639 Posts
July 29 2012 19:11 GMT
#1095
I'm on memrise! TLshoog is my username.
I'm enjoying it so far. It makes it quite easy to pick things up.
Isken
Profile Joined November 2010
Korea (South)1131 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-14 09:52:49
August 14 2012 09:50 GMT
#1096
Damn I noticed only today by looking on the leaderboards that there were TL people on memrise, duh I guess I can't change my username :p (edit : oh it appears I can)
I like memrise so far but for korean I don't know the keyboard well so I keep running out of time, I guess I'll continue learning words from my book with a piece of paper :p
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-14 10:02:46
August 14 2012 09:59 GMT
#1097
On July 21 2012 11:44 Birdie wrote:
I started this a couple of days ago. (ID: TL-Birdie)I'm currently learning Korean and Maori, and find it pretty useful for motivating me to learn languages that I've always wanted to learn but lack the drive to study in a book. I also started a little competition with some friends on another SC site to earn site currency for being the top of the mempal leaderboard each week :D

Nearly got the Korean alphabet memorized, although I already knew some of the alphabet so I had a headstart on that. The Korean audio for the alphabet sounds faked by a computer rather than having an actual person saying them, although maybe that's just me. I still don't know how to pronounce ㅓ correctly

Is there anyone running a TL mempal leaderboard by friending all the TLers and then, say screenshotting it each week to see who's doing the best?


I was doing that a while back

edit: this is from about 20 minutes ago

[image loading]
Here be Dragons
Birdie
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
New Zealand4438 Posts
August 14 2012 10:09 GMT
#1098
On August 14 2012 18:50 Isken wrote:
Damn I noticed only today by looking on the leaderboards that there were TL people on memrise, duh I guess I can't change my username :p (edit : oh it appears I can)
I like memrise so far but for korean I don't know the keyboard well so I keep running out of time, I guess I'll continue learning words from my book with a piece of paper :p

Yeah I've got the same problem, it's actually better on my ipod because the entire keyboard changes to a korean one at the tap of a button. I'm planning on buying a few packs of transparent korean keyboard stickers though, which should make it easier
Red classic | A butterfly dreamed he was Zhuangzi | 4.5k, heading to 5k as support!
TheKwas
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Iceland372 Posts
August 14 2012 10:23 GMT
#1099
Add me Rimstalker: TL-DanielKwasnicki
Rimstalker
Profile Joined May 2011
Germany734 Posts
August 14 2012 10:50 GMT
#1100
On August 14 2012 19:23 TheKwas wrote:
Add me Rimstalker: TL-DanielKwasnicki


did that - now that I have noticed that I can just clobber together a link to peoples' profiles when I know their exact login, it's a lot more comfortable
Here be Dragons
Prev 1 53 54 55 56 57 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 31m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 563
GuemChi 439
Leta 354
sSak 42
sorry 33
Bale 31
Soma 31
910 21
BeSt 21
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
[ Show more ]
Noble 12
Dota 2
febbydoto12
League of Legends
JimRising 542
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss446
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King117
Other Games
summit1g8386
ceh9469
olofmeister458
Happy345
Trikslyr22
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick473
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• killerbeecast36
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2230
League of Legends
• Stunt449
Other Games
• Shiphtur492
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
3h 31m
Patches Events
8h 31m
The PondCast
1d 2h
INu's Battles
1d 3h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 15h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.