• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:20
CEST 11:20
KST 18:20
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9457 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 53

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 51 52 53 54 55 69 Next
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
February 27 2012 19:35 GMT
#1041
@SyDe Yea, memrise happens to be slow at times
HotShizz
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
France710 Posts
February 27 2012 19:43 GMT
#1042
On February 28 2012 04:07 SCPhineas wrote:
omg, it started questioning me spanish-english instead of the usual english-spanish, didn't see that coming. Thanks memrise!:D


Me too, but only in spanish, oddly enough, none of the other languages...

On February 28 2012 04:29 SyDe wrote:
TL-SyDe (Korean and English)
I just made my account but it took me like 5 mins to load the page and create my account >.<

anyway, sounds fun! thanks for sharing .


I think they are having server issues, like overloading. I just clicked on one of the new learners on the community page and they were listed at something like 159,000th place. So, needless to say they probably weren't ready for such an increase. It's been slow and sometimes completely down for me throughout the day. That said, welcome!

unrelated, we need more TLers on leaderboard!!
SCPhineas
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands119 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-27 20:02:28
February 27 2012 20:02 GMT
#1043
@HotShizz Haha, indeed, it's down for me as well. Wonderful word of welcome there ("They have server issues [...] it's been slow and completely down for me throughout the day. Welcome!")
Kralle333
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Denmark301 Posts
February 28 2012 13:57 GMT
#1044
你好 大家

Just finished HSK2 :D But only the signs, i don't know how to pronounce them.
Anyone have an idea how to learn that now?
Nukanite - www.last.fm/user/Kraller
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
February 28 2012 15:35 GMT
#1045
On February 28 2012 22:57 Kralle333 wrote:
你好 大家

Just finished HSK2 :D But only the signs, i don't know how to pronounce them.
Anyone have an idea how to learn that now?


If you didn't know already, the primary method for spelling/learning chinese pronunciation is called pinyin. Pinyin is relatively easy to learn, but you do need to make an effort to learn how it's pronounced in the beginning. I used ChinesePod's lessons for this:
http://chinesepod.com/tools/pronunciation

Memrise prioritises the meaning of words, but automatically starts to test you on the pinyin pronunciation for the word after the system is reasonably confident that you know the meaning.

Anyway, if you really want to learn Chinese, don't just rely on memrise - it's a great tool for acquiring vocabulary, but vocabulary acquisition is only one fraction of what it takes to learn a language. Go get a beginners' book or find some introductory course online.
Kralle333
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Denmark301 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-28 15:45:52
February 28 2012 15:39 GMT
#1046
On February 29 2012 00:35 TheUltimate wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 28 2012 22:57 Kralle333 wrote:
你好 大家

Just finished HSK2 :D But only the signs, i don't know how to pronounce them.
Anyone have an idea how to learn that now?


If you didn't know already, the primary method for spelling/learning chinese pronunciation is called pinyin. Pinyin is relatively easy to learn, but you do need to make an effort to learn how it's pronounced in the beginning. I used ChinesePod's lessons for this:
http://chinesepod.com/tools/pronunciation

Memrise prioritises the meaning of words, but automatically starts to test you on the pinyin pronunciation for the word after the system is reasonably confident that you know the meaning.

Anyway, if you really want to learn Chinese, don't just rely on memrise - it's a great tool for acquiring vocabulary, but vocabulary acquisition is only one fraction of what it takes to learn a language. Go get a beginners' book or find some introductory course online.

Yea i know pinyin, its just that i disabled it so i could become faster at learning the signs. thanks for the site. 谢谢 朋友

Have tried rosetta stone, but i feel it goes way too slow
Nukanite - www.last.fm/user/Kraller
s.a.y
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
Croatia3840 Posts
April 09 2012 16:04 GMT
#1047
I do not know this TL user, but thanks a bunch!

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
I am not good with quotes
Xiphos
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Canada7507 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-09 16:19:04
April 09 2012 16:13 GMT
#1048
This site have been truly helpful in augmenting my SAT vocabulary.

Btw, how does site not have gotten in contact with Ads is a quesition that I have been pondering. Seriously every single vocabulary page for "plant watering" should contain at least some advertisement in order to get a sufficient income to keep the site running.
2014 - ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ Raise your bows brood warriors! ᕙ( •̀ل͜•́) ϡ
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
April 09 2012 16:45 GMT
#1049
They're currently funding themselves with rounds of venture capital - they're pretty good at PR, I think! I believe their main long-term goal is to keep the main functionality free but generate income through added extras such as an integrated mobile app when it's ready.

It's good to see so many TL users are still plugging away on memrise!
MarthVader
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States63 Posts
April 09 2012 16:52 GMT
#1050
TL-MarthVader (korean)
Hopefully I'll be able to learn enough before my 4 week trip to Korea this summer ^.^
day[9] moderator and esports advocate. twitter: @MarthaVader
crappen
Profile Joined April 2010
Norway1546 Posts
April 18 2012 10:10 GMT
#1051
Chinese mandarin is my course, and Im curious when I met two words have the same pinyin.

zhi3 (pinyin) is in both the word toe and to follow

Anyone know why this is? Just a different meaning in the right context I guess, but I need to have it assured
JieXian
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Malaysia4677 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-04-18 16:32:39
April 18 2012 16:18 GMT
#1052
On April 18 2012 19:10 crappen wrote:
Chinese mandarin is my course, and Im curious when I met two words have the same pinyin.

zhi3 (pinyin) is in both the word toe and to follow

Anyone know why this is? Just a different meaning in the right context I guess, but I need to have it assured


It's just like how in English you have many homonyms, except a lot more hahaha. Besides, there's no bullshit in pinyin where there are many ways to write the same sound, though it isn't perfect.

This is the reason why getting the intonations right is so important. There are enough homonyms as it is. I know it's very hard for foreigners but you have to keep practicing!

Some extra information, the Chinese themselves get confused and they have to ask for confirmations. For example if I say "to", it can mean "to" or "too". So if I don't know which "to" he's referring to he'll reply something like: the "to of to do", not "the too of too good".



On February 29 2012 00:39 Kralle333 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 29 2012 00:35 TheUltimate wrote:
On February 28 2012 22:57 Kralle333 wrote:
你好 大家

Just finished HSK2 :D But only the signs, i don't know how to pronounce them.
Anyone have an idea how to learn that now?


If you didn't know already, the primary method for spelling/learning chinese pronunciation is called pinyin. Pinyin is relatively easy to learn, but you do need to make an effort to learn how it's pronounced in the beginning. I used ChinesePod's lessons for this:
http://chinesepod.com/tools/pronunciation

Memrise prioritises the meaning of words, but automatically starts to test you on the pinyin pronunciation for the word after the system is reasonably confident that you know the meaning.

Anyway, if you really want to learn Chinese, don't just rely on memrise - it's a great tool for acquiring vocabulary, but vocabulary acquisition is only one fraction of what it takes to learn a language. Go get a beginners' book or find some introductory course online.

Yea i know pinyin, its just that i disabled it so i could become faster at learning the signs. thanks for the site. 谢谢 朋友

Have tried rosetta stone, but i feel it goes way too slow


Don't disable it. Foreigners have a tough time learning intonations as it is. I highly recommend Pimsleur Mandarin - works on speaking and some vocab but lacks in grammar and explainations of rules. Get a book to complement that.

For looking up words, try http://dict.baidu.com/. They have good english translations and pinyin.

If you want to know how a word is pronounced, paste it in google translate and press listen. Be aware that you may get different pronounciations due to accents.

Next, use http://www.wordreference.com, great site with dictionary and a forum so you can ask away to chinese speakers.

Now I'm thinking about writing a short guide to learning languages online :D
Please send me a PM of any song you like that I most probably never heard of! I am looking for people to chat about writing and producing music | https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noD-bsOcxuU |
Heweree
Profile Joined July 2011
United Kingdom497 Posts
May 10 2012 16:20 GMT
#1053
Looking at the leaderboard this week, people aren't using it anymore (I'm TL-Tantzor)?
I still find it great, you put your music on and just answer. You don't even have to focus, your memory unconsciously works for you.
LoKi-
Profile Joined May 2011
United States121 Posts
May 10 2012 16:22 GMT
#1054
I'm still there!! TL-mewvolk. I have less time for it lately though :\ but I'm still ranked 19th for the all time leaderboard.
TheUltimate
Profile Joined August 2011
82 Posts
May 10 2012 17:09 GMT
#1055
There are still at least a few TL users regularly on memrise, but getting into the global leaderboard for the shorter time periods (daily, weekly, monthly) is quite difficult nowadays - from my experience, you generally need to be learning at least 40 words a day for this (Or, just spamming tests on the same words over and over for points, but really, what is the point of doing that?) There are just a lot more enthusiastic non-TL users than there used to be.

@LoKi- you might be 19th on your cohort's all-time leaderboard, but you're 7271th globally - like I said, there are lots of users!
Traceback
Profile Joined October 2010
United States469 Posts
May 10 2012 17:13 GMT
#1056
I still use it quite a bit. Hovering around 87th on the global leader board.
Tanner
Profile Joined October 2010
United States38 Posts
May 10 2012 17:30 GMT
#1057
I still use it every day to study for my Korean class. But I don't ever make it onto the leaderboard because I'm studying the same ~200 words over and over.
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
May 10 2012 17:37 GMT
#1058
I'm going to be using Memrise more over the next few weeks.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
May 10 2012 18:19 GMT
#1059
On May 11 2012 02:09 TheUltimate wrote:
There are still at least a few TL users regularly on memrise, but getting into the global leaderboard for the shorter time periods (daily, weekly, monthly) is quite difficult nowadays - from my experience, you generally need to be learning at least 40 words a day for this (Or, just spamming tests on the same words over and over for points, but really, what is the point of doing that?) There are just a lot more enthusiastic non-TL users than there used to be.

@LoKi- you might be 19th on your cohort's all-time leaderboard, but you're 7271th globally - like I said, there are lots of users!

Now I'm back to this, should definitely be learning more than 40 words a day. (I only spam test Korean and Mandarin, because I find that I mix up the direction components are facing/the presence of a drop if I don't do that often.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
Carson
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada820 Posts
May 10 2012 19:24 GMT
#1060
I use it steadily, but I was using it before TL started en masse, and I don't have a TL tag

Chinese Mandarin
"You have to remember something: Everybody pities the weak; jealousy you have to earn." Arnold Schwarzenegger
Prev 1 51 52 53 54 55 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 40m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1205
Hyun 568
firebathero 541
Hyuk 398
BeSt 329
Jaedong 269
Mong 268
Soma 189
Shine 86
PianO 82
[ Show more ]
Sexy 62
910 50
Mind 48
sSak 41
Hm[arnc] 35
Shinee 30
ZergMaN 26
Bale 25
yabsab 20
HiyA 19
Sharp 15
sorry 12
ZerO 11
Noble 10
Stork 7
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
XcaliburYe0
Counter-Strike
shoxiejesuss1226
olofmeister1178
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King351
Other Games
gofns31658
summit1g7849
ceh9615
KnowMe126
Pyrionflax93
Livibee44
Trikslyr26
ZerO(Twitch)5
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick476
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos973
• Stunt381
Other Games
• Shiphtur439
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 40m
Patches Events
6h 40m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.