• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:50
CEST 15:50
KST 22:50
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8074 users

Memrise: Learning languages with a game approach - Page 54

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 52 53 54 55 56 69 Next
Traceback
Profile Joined October 2010
United States469 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-10 19:26:12
May 10 2012 19:25 GMT
#1061
On May 11 2012 04:24 Carson wrote:
I use it steadily, but I was using it before TL started en masse, and I don't have a TL tag

Chinese Mandarin


You can change your name to add the TL tag if you want.
Tufas
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Austria2259 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-05-11 00:02:07
May 10 2012 20:03 GMT
#1062
I started Spanish, French and Italian -> though to make it most fun, all in English so I can train four languages (granted, I had Spanish in school as well)
Does anyone know if my scores are added up for the board or just my best one ?

Edit : I wanted to start 2 1/2 new languages in my second language to see if my head explodes.
Two completely new languages and a mediocre good one all not in your native tongue, lol I can only recommend it. Total mindfuck, but it is a ton of fun !

I have 11.000 points and still need to double that to make it into top 100 Oo wtf.
TL-tufas

Edit2 : Oh you get way more points for harvesting your plants. Now I get it how someone can have that many points !
Edit3: Oh god what has that site done to me, now I also started Hebrew (always wanted to know that language) .... please help me, I am trapped in languages :/
Where is my ACE flair
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
May 11 2012 04:27 GMT
#1063
On May 11 2012 05:03 Tufas wrote:
I started Spanish, French and Italian -> though to make it most fun, all in English so I can train four languages (granted, I had Spanish in school as well)
Does anyone know if my scores are added up for the board or just my best one ?

Edit : I wanted to start 2 1/2 new languages in my second language to see if my head explodes.
Two completely new languages and a mediocre good one all not in your native tongue, lol I can only recommend it. Total mindfuck, but it is a ton of fun !

I have 11.000 points and still need to double that to make it into top 100 Oo wtf.
TL-tufas

Edit2 : Oh you get way more points for harvesting your plants. Now I get it how someone can have that many points !
Edit3: Oh god what has that site done to me, now I also started Hebrew (always wanted to know that language) .... please help me, I am trapped in languages :/

Your scores add up for the board.


Don't worry. If you learn enough languages they all flow together to make a river of comprehension you can swim out of the language cave on. I believe it flows directly into a sea of books but I'm not sure how to escape that one.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
Tufas
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Austria2259 Posts
May 11 2012 15:48 GMT
#1064
Oh god not the sea of books.
After I woke up I decided to try and get my Spanish as good as my English (I already know the grammar, I just need to re-learn all the conjugations) -> thus I mostly need vocabulary.

After I did that (including watching Spanish movies and reading some books) I will let a random generator decide the next language. And so forth. I mean why not ? I already know 2 1/2 languages, might as well make it 3 1/2.
Where is my ACE flair
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
May 18 2012 03:20 GMT
#1065
On May 12 2012 00:48 Tufas wrote:
Oh god not the sea of books.
After I woke up I decided to try and get my Spanish as good as my English (I already know the grammar, I just need to re-learn all the conjugations) -> thus I mostly need vocabulary.

After I did that (including watching Spanish movies and reading some books) I will let a random generator decide the next language. And so forth. I mean why not ? I already know 2 1/2 languages, might as well make it 3 1/2.

Pick Russian. Russians have Putin and he has a tiger.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
Dr. Von Derful
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States363 Posts
July 18 2012 01:29 GMT
#1066
I've been using this daily, I forgot what a pleasure it was to use this. I feel like it needs a bump so other TL users can get back in on the action if they forgot about it and others who missed out on it can see the awesomeness that it is.

I'm attempting German and Russian at the moment and enjoying both quite thoroughly. Any native speakers willing to let me send terribly / poorly written messages to them to try and have conversation?
nettleberry
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United States201 Posts
July 18 2012 05:25 GMT
#1067
This looks like a great way to learn some more Spanish vocab. I took Spanish in high school but it's been 9 years since then, time to refresh!
"Right?"
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
July 18 2012 06:53 GMT
#1068
On July 18 2012 10:29 Dr. Von Derful wrote:
I've been using this daily, I forgot what a pleasure it was to use this. I feel like it needs a bump so other TL users can get back in on the action if they forgot about it and others who missed out on it can see the awesomeness that it is.

I'm attempting German and Russian at the moment and enjoying both quite thoroughly. Any native speakers willing to let me send terribly / poorly written messages to them to try and have conversation?

I'm not a native speaker, but I have lived in a German speaking area for a year and I have relatives who speak it to fluency. If you want to you can PM me.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
smr
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany4808 Posts
July 18 2012 07:20 GMT
#1069
With my semester break coming up I should really try to revive my czech skills. Does anybody know if Memrise acknowledges missing accents as mistakes? That wasn't the case when I last tried it and for me it was really bad as the pronunciation changes drastically.

On July 18 2012 10:29 Dr. Von Derful wrote:
I've been using this daily, I forgot what a pleasure it was to use this. I feel like it needs a bump so other TL users can get back in on the action if they forgot about it and others who missed out on it can see the awesomeness that it is.

I'm attempting German and Russian at the moment and enjoying both quite thoroughly. Any native speakers willing to let me send terribly / poorly written messages to them to try and have conversation?


Native German here. Feel free to write whenever you like.
Jonoman92
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
United States9110 Posts
July 18 2012 07:31 GMT
#1070
On July 18 2012 16:20 smr wrote:
With my semester break coming up I should really try to revive my czech skills. Does anybody know if Memrise acknowledges missing accents as mistakes? That wasn't the case when I last tried it and for me it was really bad as the pronunciation changes drastically.

Show nested quote +
On July 18 2012 10:29 Dr. Von Derful wrote:
I've been using this daily, I forgot what a pleasure it was to use this. I feel like it needs a bump so other TL users can get back in on the action if they forgot about it and others who missed out on it can see the awesomeness that it is.

I'm attempting German and Russian at the moment and enjoying both quite thoroughly. Any native speakers willing to let me send terribly / poorly written messages to them to try and have conversation?


Native German here. Feel free to write whenever you like.


I'm learning German and it doesn't count a missed umlaut as incorrect so my guess is no for czech as well. Just have to try and police yourself carefully I guess. I... might send you incoherent German messages . Am currently living here in Germany for a few months, but have never taken an actual course in German so it's just been internet self-teaching/submersion learning.
Monocle
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-18 07:41:56
July 18 2012 07:41 GMT
#1071
Wow, this website is fantastic. I'm trying to learn Korean and I have a lot of resources for grammar but have yet to find a good way to learn vocab until now. I will definitely be using this!
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
July 18 2012 08:36 GMT
#1072
On July 18 2012 16:31 Jonoman92 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2012 16:20 smr wrote:
With my semester break coming up I should really try to revive my czech skills. Does anybody know if Memrise acknowledges missing accents as mistakes? That wasn't the case when I last tried it and for me it was really bad as the pronunciation changes drastically.

On July 18 2012 10:29 Dr. Von Derful wrote:
I've been using this daily, I forgot what a pleasure it was to use this. I feel like it needs a bump so other TL users can get back in on the action if they forgot about it and others who missed out on it can see the awesomeness that it is.

I'm attempting German and Russian at the moment and enjoying both quite thoroughly. Any native speakers willing to let me send terribly / poorly written messages to them to try and have conversation?


Native German here. Feel free to write whenever you like.


I'm learning German and it doesn't count a missed umlaut as incorrect so my guess is no for czech as well. Just have to try and police yourself carefully I guess. I... might send you incoherent German messages . Am currently living here in Germany for a few months, but have never taken an actual course in German so it's just been internet self-teaching/submersion learning.

The only work-around I have for umlauts and accents is to include them if you aren't 100% so you force incorrects.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
smr
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany4808 Posts
July 18 2012 08:44 GMT
#1073
On July 18 2012 17:36 -_-Quails wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2012 16:31 Jonoman92 wrote:
On July 18 2012 16:20 smr wrote:
With my semester break coming up I should really try to revive my czech skills. Does anybody know if Memrise acknowledges missing accents as mistakes? That wasn't the case when I last tried it and for me it was really bad as the pronunciation changes drastically.

On July 18 2012 10:29 Dr. Von Derful wrote:
I've been using this daily, I forgot what a pleasure it was to use this. I feel like it needs a bump so other TL users can get back in on the action if they forgot about it and others who missed out on it can see the awesomeness that it is.

I'm attempting German and Russian at the moment and enjoying both quite thoroughly. Any native speakers willing to let me send terribly / poorly written messages to them to try and have conversation?


Native German here. Feel free to write whenever you like.


I'm learning German and it doesn't count a missed umlaut as incorrect so my guess is no for czech as well. Just have to try and police yourself carefully I guess. I... might send you incoherent German messages . Am currently living here in Germany for a few months, but have never taken an actual course in German so it's just been internet self-teaching/submersion learning.

The only work-around I have for umlauts and accents is to include them if you aren't 100% so you force incorrects.


That does not work as far as I know. A few month ago the correct version with accents was accepted as well as the incorrect version.
-_-Quails
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia796 Posts
July 18 2012 09:14 GMT
#1074
On July 18 2012 17:44 smr wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 18 2012 17:36 -_-Quails wrote:
On July 18 2012 16:31 Jonoman92 wrote:
On July 18 2012 16:20 smr wrote:
With my semester break coming up I should really try to revive my czech skills. Does anybody know if Memrise acknowledges missing accents as mistakes? That wasn't the case when I last tried it and for me it was really bad as the pronunciation changes drastically.

On July 18 2012 10:29 Dr. Von Derful wrote:
I've been using this daily, I forgot what a pleasure it was to use this. I feel like it needs a bump so other TL users can get back in on the action if they forgot about it and others who missed out on it can see the awesomeness that it is.

I'm attempting German and Russian at the moment and enjoying both quite thoroughly. Any native speakers willing to let me send terribly / poorly written messages to them to try and have conversation?


Native German here. Feel free to write whenever you like.


I'm learning German and it doesn't count a missed umlaut as incorrect so my guess is no for czech as well. Just have to try and police yourself carefully I guess. I... might send you incoherent German messages . Am currently living here in Germany for a few months, but have never taken an actual course in German so it's just been internet self-teaching/submersion learning.

The only work-around I have for umlauts and accents is to include them if you aren't 100% so you force incorrects.


That does not work as far as I know. A few month ago the correct version with accents was accepted as well as the incorrect version.

I found that the Spanish one accepted either words correctly accented, or words with some or all accents missing, but not words with accents added in error. This means that if you are unsure if a word has an accent in a given position then typing it without accents would return correct regardless of actual correctness but typing with accents would only return correct where it actually is correct.
"I post only when my brain works." - Reaper9
Jacobe
Profile Joined April 2011
United States44 Posts
July 18 2012 09:58 GMT
#1075
I'm attempting to learn Russian and Korean :D

TL-Jacobe
It's all south of the border
9-BiT
Profile Blog Joined January 2012
United States1089 Posts
July 18 2012 18:43 GMT
#1076
Cool, I'm going to try this out. Thanks
kwark_uk: @father_sc learn to play maybe?
ShadowDrgn
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States2497 Posts
July 18 2012 19:06 GMT
#1077
I've been using memrise every day since this thread was created last November. It's still kinda rough around the edges, but I've learned more Japanese vocabulary in 8 months than I did from 4 years of college classes.

Best advice I can give about using the site is to take it slow and learn 10-20 words a day tops. I've seen lots of new users show up, excitedly "learn" a huge number of words in a week or two, and then disappear because they were unable to keep up that pace.
Of course, you only live one life, and you make all your mistakes, and learn what not to do, and that’s the end of you.
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
July 20 2012 14:51 GMT
#1078
yo this game ownz, i think the interface got updated today too (either that or it looks different on IE lol)

one thing that would be kinda nice tho is if each set started paused. i always miss the first word because it takes me forever to load a set, so i'm usually tabbed out and then i tab back in and i lost one
not a big deal but mildly annoying
Garnet
Profile Blog Joined February 2006
Vietnam9056 Posts
July 20 2012 15:10 GMT
#1079
On July 20 2012 23:51 Dead9 wrote:
yo this game ownz, i think the interface got updated today too (either that or it looks different on IE lol)

one thing that would be kinda nice tho is if each set started paused. i always miss the first word because it takes me forever to load a set, so i'm usually tabbed out and then i tab back in and i lost one
not a big deal but mildly annoying

You should send a suggestion to them.
Dead9
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
United States4725 Posts
July 20 2012 15:15 GMT
#1080
where do i send suggestions? i haven't seen anything on the site (but i haven't really been looking either lol)
Prev 1 52 53 54 55 56 69 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1070
RotterdaM575
SteadfastSC290
TKL 215
Rex120
CosmosSc2 35
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 535
SteadfastSC 290
TKL 215
Rex 120
CosmosSc2 35
Codebar 26
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 45081
Shuttle 2519
Jaedong 1117
Calm 1044
Horang2 810
Mini 624
actioN 544
EffOrt 530
Soulkey 479
Soma 360
[ Show more ]
Stork 301
Rush 294
Larva 282
BeSt 221
Snow 192
ZerO 171
firebathero 133
Mong 119
Zeus 106
Last 91
910 74
Mind 68
hero 67
Free 66
Hyun 58
Sharp 56
PianO 39
Pusan 34
sorry 34
Shinee 32
JYJ 26
Bale 25
Shine 25
Hm[arnc] 24
ToSsGirL 22
Sexy 22
Aegong 21
HiyA 21
Terrorterran 15
scan(afreeca) 12
Rock 10
Sacsri 10
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4998
Dendi1276
Counter-Strike
fl0m1842
Fnx 575
edward49
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King170
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes585
Lowko371
Other Games
gofns24318
singsing2178
olofmeister1284
hiko588
B2W.Neo337
DeMusliM228
Livibee188
Pyrionflax166
Liquid`VortiX119
Khaldor76
QueenE73
Trikslyr60
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1455
Other Games
BasetradeTV172
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH175
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2035
• Jankos1437
• TFBlade463
Other Games
• Shiphtur663
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 10m
The PondCast
20h 10m
INu's Battles
21h 10m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.