• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:02
CEST 18:02
KST 01:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8800 users

Fear of Banning - Page 18

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 26 Next All
Gofarman
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada648 Posts
April 03 2011 18:00 GMT
#341
If I wouldn't say it to someones face I wont post it.

If you think before you post there is nothing to fear.
Bereft
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States1007 Posts
April 03 2011 18:09 GMT
#342
I do feel unwarranted trepidation when I click the login button. But then again I have an unnecessary uneasiness around authority. Like when I see a cop car, I feel agitated and nervous, and run through my head what I could be in trouble for, even when I've done nothing wrong. I attribute it to growing up in Singapore, when one can get in trouble/fined for minor things like eating on the train .
RLTY
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
United States965 Posts
April 03 2011 18:12 GMT
#343
Overall, it's probably a good thing. It improves the overall quality of the posts and keeps this place from being the cesspool that many forums turn into.
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 03 2011 18:14 GMT
#344
On April 04 2011 03:00 Gofarman wrote:
If I wouldn't say it to someones face I wont post it.

If you think before you post there is nothing to fear.


I can't apply both of those at the same time. I censor myself more here than most times IRL, depending on the situation. I'm actually not too afraid of banning, because I try not to be a jerk on other people's forums. (Relatively public ones have been known to be a slightly different story, based on the specific rules.)
Thall
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Switzerland214 Posts
April 03 2011 18:21 GMT
#345
No, i dont have any fear at all of being banned. I normally can control myself pretty good and try not to trashtalk or flame someoe. Basically i just behave more or less like i would in RL, and since i'm a friendly person (:D) it's pretty hard to get in trouble.
This strategy is made of balls ! - Nick "Tasteless" Plott, during GSL cast
baumer
Profile Joined May 2010
United States34 Posts
April 03 2011 18:25 GMT
#346
I think sometimes we hear horror stories of people who are raging over being banned. The problem the mods face is that they have to lean toward the ban more than not because when you have a community this large, it would be very easy for everything to get out of hand. I think they do a good job and appreciate the difficulty they face in modding an incredibly large community.
Saturnize
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States2473 Posts
April 03 2011 18:35 GMT
#347
Mods are humans, sometimes they do not make the best decisions when banning people, but that is the very small price you pay to keep this site from turning into the battle.net forums.
"Time to put the mustard on the hotdog. -_-"
oob
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden630 Posts
April 03 2011 18:41 GMT
#348
I dont really post that much. I did get a 2 week ban once becasue of some sc2 beta key roulette thing.
Happiest man on earth
ghostsquall
Profile Joined September 2010
United States187 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-03 18:49:15
April 03 2011 18:48 GMT
#349
I had a well thought out post about the Dimaga vs San game, and 1 line of my post included "because forcefields are so strong" and got banned for 3 days. Just plain stupid. Not letting people talk about balance in a game that is clearly not balanced makes no sense. People want to pretend this is BW and thinking the game is imbalanced makes you look "stupid" but imagine taking vanilla starcraft and running the GSL and paying people $60,000 for abusing imbalances. Makes perfect sense, right?
i pwn n00bs
MichaelJLowell
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States610 Posts
April 03 2011 18:49 GMT
#350
As someone who has been banned from the Legacy Battle.net forums on dozens (if not hundreds) of occasions and permanently banned half-a-dozen times from the Starcraft II forums, it's surprisingly easy to not get banned from this forum. I've yet to get a warning or a ban. You just don't say stupid crap. And if someone else says stupid crap, you go into full detail explaining why it was stupid crap. You don't say "lol ur a dumbass" and call it a day.

The problem that a lot of heavily-moderated forums endure is that the ground rules for the forum don't eliminate discourtesy. Know how sports leagues banned fighting and dirty hits, which ultimately allows dirty players to become dirtier because they won't face any real repercusion? Moderation often simply changes the way forums go to flame war, i.e. "lol ur a dumbass" becomes "I do not wish to call you a dumbass at this time because your parents are trying to get you into a nice school and I do not wish to harm your emotional capacity and how it will impact your future endeavors, even though I would usually do so." It changes the playing field in a way where people can be really vicious with a smile. And that drives a lot of people nuts. I don't see much of that going on here. Maybe it happened at one point, I wouldn't know. I'm not qualified to speak about it. Since I've been posting and reading on these forums, the moderators have been pretty off-handed about letting people get their points across, so no qualms here.

That said, if anyone here thinks the TeamLiquid moderators are a daily death march kind-of crowd, I can assure you: There are web sites that are far, far, far more strict.
http://www.learntocounter.com - I'm a "known troll" so please disconnect your kid's computer when I am on the forums.
EvilTeletubby
Profile Blog Joined January 2004
Baltimore, USA22261 Posts
April 03 2011 18:51 GMT
#351
On April 03 2011 03:28 Silmakuoppaanikinko wrote:
Mods are humans, and as such they have their ignorances, I've seen a lot of cases on fora where someone who was right was basically banned. I've seen cases of people being called trolls because they tried to explain the physical concept of tunneling and how there is a slight chance you can step through a wall. This is true, mods didn't know, how could they? It sounds incredible, but it's true, so they got banned while being right.


It never fails - I see someone complaining about moderation, check their history, and sure enough, they've racked up quite a few warnings/bans. Hint: I'm talking about you.

I will also make the connection that your "observations" are actually based on yourself, not on others. We will NEVER ban someone for simply "being wrong" (or what we perceive as being wrong) in an argument. In fact, I know there are plenty of times I've banned someone who I ever agreed with, in terms of the content they were trying to present.

However, no one is banned for the argument they were trying to make. They get banned for their attitude, their delivery, their offensive/aggressive nature, etc. etc. You can be right all you want, but if you have the attitude "I'm RIGHT and you guys are fucking idiots, stfu", then guess what? You're getting banned.

So, let's review your history since I guarantee it's 100% relevant here...

1st warning - created a new topic for something there were MANY existing topics on. Content irrelevant.

2nd warning - Bring up an argument in a thread were it was unrelated, thus derailing that topic. The mod even recommended creating a new topic on it. Again, content irrelevant.

1st ban - Insulting post directed at a specific contributing and long time member of the community. Content irrelevant.

2nd ban - Sarcastic/smart reply in a thread. Content irrelevant.

See a trend here? None of the disciplinary action has ANYTHING to do with how "right or wrong" you were. Why? Because it doesn't matter.

And if you try to claim that your vague generalizations are NOT about you, please by all means, link me to some examples.
Moderatorhttp://carbonleaf.yuku.com/topic/408/t/So-I-proposed-at-a-Carbon-Leaf-concert.html ***** RIP Geoff
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
April 03 2011 22:13 GMT
#352
I've only ever been banned off one forum (that I was still intending to use, I probably got IP banned from another when I left a clan after some unreasonable requests were made.)

The one forum was for DC Universe Online, the ban was for 24 hours, and the reason was for overt hostility towards the mods when they pissed in my cheerios by changing my name (Hell apparently being inappropriate on their forums, even though it was in in-game dialogue.) I was also being incredibly hostile toward the terrible customer support and patch support the game was getting, on their forums. Bans are hard to get usually.
gongryong
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Korea (South)1430 Posts
April 04 2011 02:25 GMT
#353
JD threads and LRs always get me into trouble. Cant help it. I scream like a girl everytime JD plays, as i believe any true BW fans should! There are a few occasions where I got banned for 4chan/memeesque posts. I knew the ban was unjustified because it is never my intention to do it, but i dont raise it to the mods. Saves their time and mine.

In short, just keep it level and keep things in perspective. It would truly be an anomaly to just be banned for nothing.
JAEDONG ÜBERBONJWA!
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
April 04 2011 02:29 GMT
#354
Of course, one-liners are pretty bad to post,

HOWEVER, I think they are appropriate when they are tasteful and followed by a post that is relevant to the discussion, written in a good manner.

For example, most of my posts are in the format of:
One-liner

Anyways/Jokes aside/Nevertheless... discussion

Also... more discussion

words words words

Then again, I tend to write way too much to convey relatively mundane topics. Oh well.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24805 Posts
April 04 2011 02:29 GMT
#355
On April 04 2011 02:02 Facehugger wrote:
I've been reading TL for years, but the strict moderation always kept me from registering here. I am not retarded poster, but sometimes I write something silly or what I think is funny, that's just the way I am, but from my internet experience I wouldn't be banned for that anywhere, except TL. My point being, TL moderation team made some kind of iron curtain from the rest of the internet. But maybe that's the main goal of TL staff? Less active users won't generate more page visits or more sponsors.

Everything else is pretty much great on TL(especially the e-sports coverage), but more easy atmosphere would be appreciated. Most of the users are literate and read the first commandment when logging in, but do you really throw away guests from your house when they make an occasional joke? Just because you are grumpy it doesn't mean everyone else didn't like it.

TL doesn't value money and sponsorships over the quality of the community... even now.

TL also doesn't ban people because they 'make an occasional joke'.

A lot of the things you enjoy about the community would be worse if there was the 'easier atmosphere' you wanted. I'm not saying there aren't always better ways to make the community more accessible to new users or anything like that, though.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Marl
Profile Joined January 2010
United States694 Posts
April 04 2011 02:38 GMT
#356
I got warned for the first time for posting a picture of Bobby Kotick amidst a few pages of people raging about LAN when the 40minute MVP vs dimaga game DC'd. Pretty lame IMO, don't see how that could offend anyone that doesn't not want there to be LAN.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24805 Posts
April 04 2011 02:40 GMT
#357
On April 04 2011 11:38 Teogamer wrote:
I got warned for the first time for posting a picture of Bobby Kotick amidst a few pages of people raging about LAN when the 40minute MVP vs dimaga game DC'd. Pretty lame IMO, don't see how that could offend anyone that doesn't not want there to be LAN.

Er we don't allow people to just post a single silly picture on any thread except for the funny pic thread...
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Zieg
Profile Joined March 2011
Canada4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-04 02:47:20
April 04 2011 02:40 GMT
#358
I got banned for the username "Sieg"

Apparently, it offends German users. Every time it's by that Kennegit kid.

User was banned for dodging a ban.
Sieg
LaughingTulkas
Profile Joined March 2008
United States1107 Posts
April 04 2011 02:41 GMT
#359
I had some worries when I was posting in a religious topic that when I enevitably got flamed, that I would be blamed and would get banned. Otherwise I don't really hit the *post* button when I might make an off the cuff remark. There have been several times I've just been really irritated by someone and typed a harshly worded response, only to say to myself, "Self, this is the internet. The other guy isn't probably going to care, and you are just going to look foolish if you hit that post button." So I don't.
"I love noobies, they're so happy." -Chill
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24805 Posts
April 04 2011 02:42 GMT
#360
On April 04 2011 11:40 Zieg wrote:
I got banned for the username "Sieg"

Apparently, it offends German users. Every time it's by that Kennegit kid.

Actually you've been warned/banned by several mods over several accounts... and it's no surprise really with the attitude you have. LOL "Kennigit kid"
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Prev 1 16 17 18 19 20 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM711
IndyStarCraft 170
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 711
Reynor 340
ByuN 263
TKL 263
IndyStarCraft 170
Railgan 78
BRAT_OK 43
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 55913
Bisu 2899
Calm 2418
FanTaSy 885
Stork 604
Rush 462
hero 317
firebathero 170
actioN 135
Sharp 99
[ Show more ]
Sea.KH 53
Free 51
ToSsGirL 37
Mong 34
Pusan 30
soO 26
Rock 25
Hm[arnc] 19
Sexy 18
Terrorterran 18
Aegong 16
HiyA 16
Noble 13
Sacsri 11
scan(afreeca) 9
IntoTheRainbow 8
Dota 2
Gorgc10249
Dendi1047
Counter-Strike
fl0m4547
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King91
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK5
Other Games
singsing2156
Liquid`RaSZi1565
B2W.Neo749
olofmeister695
Beastyqt641
Khaldor491
Mlord490
KnowMe318
crisheroes127
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV267
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 7
• Hinosc 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
• Reevou 0
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony5
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV519
League of Legends
• Nemesis3283
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1534
Other Games
• Shiphtur450
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 58m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 58m
OSC
6h 58m
Replay Cast
6h 58m
OSC
19h 58m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.