• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:49
CEST 18:49
KST 01:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12349 users

Fear of Banning - Page 16

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 26 Next All
Sanitarium14
Profile Joined April 2010
United States141 Posts
April 02 2011 17:50 GMT
#301
I am terrified of being banned. I actually wanted to make a thread like this, but alas, I was scared of being banned for making it. This place can seem elitist. Big bad scary Team Liquid staff. ^^
eh?
IzieBoy
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States865 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-02 17:53:03
April 02 2011 17:51 GMT
#302
lol who cares about being banned... it's not cool to post uncouth comments here though... cuz it's people who are going to be reading them

In an ideal world, everyone would take into consideration what they right, and make it their best quality. But in reality, this is an online forum, nothing can be enforced.
Let's Do This! Leeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!
Sporadic44
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States533 Posts
April 02 2011 17:53 GMT
#303
have some faith in your own ideas. if your posts come from an honest place in your conscious and you contribute, then you wont get banned.
"Opportunities multiply as they are seized."
Ziken
Profile Joined August 2010
Ghana1743 Posts
April 02 2011 17:53 GMT
#304
Not really, if you consider yourself a person with common sense, and you have faith in that common sense, then i doubt you will have such feelings.

I've only ever had one topic closed, that was because the op was very vague, and have never been warned.

Even when you post about a trivial topic, as long as your post is thought out and clear, you really never ought to fear the mods.

Every misfortune is a blessing in disguise.
Silmakuoppaanikinko
Profile Joined November 2010
799 Posts
April 02 2011 17:55 GMT
#305
On April 03 2011 02:26 godemperor wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 03 2011 02:10 Silmakuoppaanikinko wrote:
On April 02 2011 21:53 The KY wrote:
Follow the rules and you don't get banned. For first time offences you have warnings, keep doing the same thing again and you get banned. Never saw anyone getting banned where the reason wasn't obvious.
This is nonsensical on every forum, and the staff here even admit themselves that this is a goal that is not realistically attainable. Older users have more leeway for instance, and people will always be banned because their post were understood in a wrong way.

Whenever I see a forum proclaiming proudly 'people that have been banned have been banned for a reason' I just twitch, it's overconfidence of a mod team's own abilities. People will make mistakes, misread, and moderators will ban people due to misinterpreting their point in some way, that's inevitable and it will always continue to happen.

Well, you can always see the reason for the ban under the ban list forum, and 99.9% of the time they make sense.
How do you know you didn't misread as well?

I wouldn't go further than saying 85-95% made sense. I feel some people get banned for their points being misread.

The only people who get banned are the newbies who says "i hope i dont get banned for this" not knowing saying that earn them automatically a temp ban.
As far as it was obvious after 5 days on this forum that everyone saying that got one, is that really a just punishment for people who haven't come across such posts yet to see the pattern?
Workers and town centres are the ultimate counter to turtles.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
April 02 2011 18:00 GMT
#306
Write clarifications then if you think you're posting something controversial enough to be misread.

The fear of the ban is a good thing: it keeps people in line and makes them think twice before doing dumb things. The longer you're on the site, the more you realize what is acceptable and the less you fear any warns or bans. You also get more latitude if you've been around awhile and contributed than if you're a random 10 post user who joined yesterday.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Silmakuoppaanikinko
Profile Joined November 2010
799 Posts
April 02 2011 18:05 GMT
#307
On April 03 2011 03:00 Craton wrote:
Write clarifications then if you think you're posting something controversial enough to be misread.
You can clarify all you want in most cases, people will read what they want to read in a lot of cases no matter how much you clarified. I've had countless debates on for instance 9/11, no matter how often you clarify yourself and say you're not a truther, people will read over it and read what they want to read as long as you imply that you're not convinced of the official story either. Methinks people place themselves into a 'false dilemma' too often and think there are necessarily only two options and ignore possible third roads quite often.

And it isn't even about controversial stuff per se, people often misread an innocent remark and turn it into something that wasn't intended.
Workers and town centres are the ultimate counter to turtles.
ImHuko
Profile Joined December 2010
United States996 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-02 18:09:55
April 02 2011 18:08 GMT
#308
I feel sometimes scared about giving my opinion in its true form, but I recognize they don't want people posting shit, so you gotta make it nicer. I am more scared about people derailing comments I post instead of actually getting banned/warned for them. People seem to remember your name and would rather bring up past posts instead of responding to what you post.


The TL mods are actually really lenient as long as you aren't going overboard. If you can give your opinion (negative or positive) in a civil manner, you shouldn't really be worried about a ban.
Pigsquirrel
Profile Joined August 2009
United States615 Posts
April 02 2011 18:08 GMT
#309
Only time I ever got banned:
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=122660
Was hell, never gonna do anything to get banned ever again.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
April 02 2011 18:19 GMT
#310
On April 03 2011 03:05 Silmakuoppaanikinko wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 03 2011 03:00 Craton wrote:
Write clarifications then if you think you're posting something controversial enough to be misread.
You can clarify all you want in most cases, people will read what they want to read in a lot of cases no matter how much you clarified. I've had countless debates on for instance 9/11, no matter how often you clarify yourself and say you're not a truther, people will read over it and read what they want to read as long as you imply that you're not convinced of the official story either. Methinks people place themselves into a 'false dilemma' too often and think there are necessarily only two options and ignore possible third roads quite often.

And it isn't even about controversial stuff per se, people often misread an innocent remark and turn it into something that wasn't intended.

People being ignorant in a debate wont get you banned; it will often get them banned. The onus is on you if you want to post what should be an "innocent remark" to make sure it's interpreted as such. If you want to poke a rib at a friend, don't expect people to realize you are friends. Similarly, don't expect for tone or sarcasm to be automatically inferable. Clarify your posts.
twitch.tv/cratonz
quirinus
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Croatia2489 Posts
April 02 2011 18:21 GMT
#311
0 fear. I know what will get me warned or banned, thus I avoid it. Also, I somewhat try to contribute when I post, not spam (unless I'm very happy or want to support something/someone).

The only warning in like 7 years was when I asked when a vod was going to be uploaded, as I was eager to watch it. (didn't know that that's against the rules of the vod topic at that time; didn't mean any disrespect towards the vod uploaders, on the contrary, I love them - but now I know it's a no-no)
All candles lit within him, and there was purity. | First auto-promoted BW LP editor.
Endymion
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States3701 Posts
April 02 2011 18:25 GMT
#312
I had a dream that I got banned last night, it sucked..
Have you considered the MMO-Champion forum? You are just as irrational and delusional with the right portion of nostalgic populism. By the way: The old Brood War was absolutely unplayable
Silmakuoppaanikinko
Profile Joined November 2010
799 Posts
April 02 2011 18:28 GMT
#313
On April 03 2011 03:19 Craton wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 03 2011 03:05 Silmakuoppaanikinko wrote:
On April 03 2011 03:00 Craton wrote:
Write clarifications then if you think you're posting something controversial enough to be misread.
You can clarify all you want in most cases, people will read what they want to read in a lot of cases no matter how much you clarified. I've had countless debates on for instance 9/11, no matter how often you clarify yourself and say you're not a truther, people will read over it and read what they want to read as long as you imply that you're not convinced of the official story either. Methinks people place themselves into a 'false dilemma' too often and think there are necessarily only two options and ignore possible third roads quite often.

And it isn't even about controversial stuff per se, people often misread an innocent remark and turn it into something that wasn't intended.

People being ignorant in a debate wont get you banned; it will often get them banned.
Assuming the moderators aren't ignorant much?

Mods are humans, and as such they have their ignorances, I've seen a lot of cases on fora where someone who was right was basically banned. I've seen cases of people being called trolls because they tried to explain the physical concept of tunneling and how there is a slight chance you can step through a wall. This is true, mods didn't know, how could they? It sounds incredible, but it's true, so they got banned while being right.

The onus is on you if you want to post what should be an "innocent remark" to make sure it's interpreted as such.
That's ridiculous, you can just as well extend this to the extremes and say that if a total retard completely misinterprets your point it's supposedly your own fault.

Where do you draw the line?

If you want to poke a rib at a friend, don't expect people to realize you are friends. Similarly, don't expect for tone or sarcasm to be automatically inferable. Clarify your posts.
And where did I speak about sarcasm or poking a rib at friends? I'm talking about very basic stuff that may for instance be caused by differences in dialects of English. For instance, there are dialects of English where 'wife' is considered a very offensive term for 'woman', calling someone 'my wife' there is considered quite offensive, can speakers of other dialects be expected to consider this?

Likewise, in a lot of varieties of English 'negro' is not considered in any way offensive, it's as neutral as terms like 'man' or 'Italian', but in some varieties of English it is (especially in the united states), do people across the atlantic really need to consider all the quirks of US English before they can post?

Other things are just culture, in South Korea for instance it's not considered in any way offensive to comment that someone has put on weight, a South Korean poster might be quite understandably ignorant about that in some parts of the world this is considered quite sensitive, how could that poster have known this?
Workers and town centres are the ultimate counter to turtles.
DeepBlu2
Profile Blog Joined April 2004
United States975 Posts
April 02 2011 18:28 GMT
#314
I have not recieved a warning in 6-7 years either... Been a while.. Although I haven't posted much.
u gotta sk8
Divinek
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
Canada4045 Posts
April 02 2011 18:29 GMT
#315
Did the mods put you up to this as a clever way to draw out martyrs?

Nope never gotten a warning and never worried about getting one or a ban.
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Oh goodness me, FOX tv where do you get your sight? Can't you keep track, the puck is black. That's why the ice is white.
Reborn8u
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1761 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-02 18:34:34
April 02 2011 18:31 GMT
#316
I have a demonic sense of humor and a big mouth, been banned a lot. I've toned it down a lot but I still wish they let some of sarcasm and humor fly. I've seen some people warned and banned for stuff I though was hilarious. I guess it's a matter of taste. I do also appreciate that this isn't the wild west. It would be full of junk. More pro's and top level players need to post on the strategy section. That is a big part of why I come to TL and it seems there is less and less input on the site from top gamers. I'd love to see a pro/top level only, strat section. I think many other TL visitors would like to see uninterrupted debate among top players about strategy.
:)
Silmakuoppaanikinko
Profile Joined November 2010
799 Posts
April 02 2011 18:34 GMT
#317
On April 03 2011 03:31 Reborn8u wrote:
I have a demonic sense of humor and a big mouth, been banned a lot. I've toned it down a lot but I still wish they let some of sarcasm and humor fly. I've seen some people warned and banned for stuff I though was hilarious. I guess it's a matter of taste. I do also appreciate that this isn't the wild west. It would be full of junk. More pro's and top level players need to post on the strategy section. That is a big part of why I come to TL and it seems there is less and less input on the site from top gamers. I'd love to see a pro/top level only, strat section.
Yeah, same here, I can remember IdrA being banned over his remark in the WeRRa scandal thread, I thought his joke was pretty funny, all the more if he did intend it like that, but he probably didn't though.
Workers and town centres are the ultimate counter to turtles.
Kimaker
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States2131 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-04-02 18:43:29
April 02 2011 18:42 GMT
#318
No, because I generally don't say stupid, unwarranted things, and when I do, I make sure they're as tasteful as stupid and unwarranted words can be.
Entusman #54 (-_-) ||"Gold is for the Mistress-Silver for the Maid-Copper for the craftsman cunning in his trade. "Good!" said the Baron, sitting in his hall, But Iron — Cold Iron — is master of them all|| "Optimism is Cowardice."- Oswald Spengler
.Aar
Profile Joined September 2010
2177 Posts
April 02 2011 18:46 GMT
#319
I trust the moderators to ban me if I'm being a dick, and ignore me if I'm not.
now run into the setting sun, and suffer, but don't mess up your hair.
Zato-1
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
Chile4253 Posts
April 02 2011 19:03 GMT
#320
I'm only disrespectful when it's warranted, i.e. someone is being blatantly unreasonable and rude. Even then, I only aim to chastise the behavior, never to humiliate or piss off someone. At all other times, I'm respectful and follow the site's ten commandments.

I figure, if I get banned despite behaving myself, then it's the site and the mods that are at fault, not me- if they ban me, they don't deserve me.
Go here http://vina.biobiochile.cl/ and input the Konami Code (up up down down left right left right B A)
Prev 1 14 15 16 17 18 26 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM902
TKL 352
IndyStarCraft 223
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 902
ByuN 470
TKL 352
Reynor 290
IndyStarCraft 223
BRAT_OK 52
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 48582
Calm 3030
Bisu 1613
FanTaSy 442
Rush 240
actioN 162
firebathero 160
Sharp 51
Free 39
Mong 31
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 24
Rock 22
Pusan 22
soO 21
Aegong 18
Hm[arnc] 13
Terrorterran 13
scan(afreeca) 12
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
Gorgc8841
Dendi1169
Counter-Strike
fl0m5611
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King98
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK13
Other Games
singsing1896
Liquid`RaSZi1759
Beastyqt708
B2W.Neo705
FrodaN679
olofmeister541
Khaldor523
Mlord514
KnowMe339
crisheroes179
Livibee100
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 29
• Adnapsc2 13
• Reevou 5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach43
• Azhi_Dahaki14
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV494
League of Legends
• Nemesis2654
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1794
Other Games
• Shiphtur726
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 11m
OSC
6h 11m
Replay Cast
6h 11m
OSC
19h 11m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.