• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:29
CEST 03:29
KST 10:29
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8754 users

University A neccesity? - Page 8

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
January 05 2011 21:20 GMT
#141
I'm a web designer. If I had a degree, I'd be making 3 times more than I make now (and I already make a decent amount). That having been said, without a degree I can support myself just fine, but I'd struggle to support a family.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
pHelix Equilibria
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1134 Posts
January 05 2011 21:20 GMT
#142
On January 06 2011 06:17 Empyrean wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2011 06:15 WhoaDrugs wrote:
I think it depends on the field you are planning to go. I mean some fields, you'll need it because everyone else does, and some wont. But really, how can it hurt?


You could have wasted four years of your life getting an art history degree when you could've been working, and then graduate with an unemployable degree while being mired in student loan debt.


So, college is a gamble? =o
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
January 05 2011 21:24 GMT
#143
On January 06 2011 06:20 WhoaDrugs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2011 06:17 Empyrean wrote:
On January 06 2011 06:15 WhoaDrugs wrote:
I think it depends on the field you are planning to go. I mean some fields, you'll need it because everyone else does, and some wont. But really, how can it hurt?


You could have wasted four years of your life getting an art history degree when you could've been working, and then graduate with an unemployable degree while being mired in student loan debt.


So, college is a gamble? =o


Not if you choose an employable degree.
Moderator
c0ldfusion
Profile Joined October 2010
United States8293 Posts
January 05 2011 21:31 GMT
#144
On January 06 2011 06:24 Empyrean wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 06 2011 06:20 WhoaDrugs wrote:
On January 06 2011 06:17 Empyrean wrote:
On January 06 2011 06:15 WhoaDrugs wrote:
I think it depends on the field you are planning to go. I mean some fields, you'll need it because everyone else does, and some wont. But really, how can it hurt?


You could have wasted four years of your life getting an art history degree when you could've been working, and then graduate with an unemployable degree while being mired in student loan debt.


So, college is a gamble? =o


Not if you choose an employable degree.


Guys, OP is studying comp sci - where I think the decision is pretty cut and dry.

So, to the OP -
If you want to be a premier software engineer at a big firm, you'll need the theory taught in a rigorous 4 year program. Even if you want to start your own firm, you'll find possible business partners and possible investors during your years in school.
eth3n
Profile Joined August 2010
718 Posts
January 05 2011 21:33 GMT
#145
I have a commendable undergraduate double major, I am currently in a top tier law school (USA), I will likely be 250k in debt with very little chance to actually even FIND A JOB and practically no chance to pay it back. Note, there are over 200 (not including correspondance/online) law schools in america, and I am in a law school in the top 10% of all of those, at the top of my class, with great accolades, and I will not be able to find a job.

What the fuck do those people from the other 90% of schools do?

LONG STORY SHORT, DONT GO TO LAWSCHOOL IN AMERICA UNLESS ITS YALE/HARVARD/STANFORD (i wouldnt even go to columbia [#4])
Idra Potter: I don't use avada kedavra because i have self-respect.
Mortality
Profile Blog Joined December 2005
United States4790 Posts
January 05 2011 22:24 GMT
#146
Where is the option "I already have a degree" ?????
Even though this Proleague bullshit has been completely bogus, I really, really, really do not see how Khan can lose this. I swear I will kill myself if they do. - nesix before KHAN lost to eNature
justle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States174 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-05 22:45:36
January 05 2011 22:43 GMT
#147
Books could be written about this OP.

I graduated in May from San Francisco State University. I was one of the lucky graduates who got a job in my field of study (electronic media) right out of college. A college degree is a requirement for most entry-level positions in offices. The reality is that when upper management positions at corporations are posted online in my industry, 200-300 qualified applicants (with college degrees and tons of experience) apply for every single one. The saturation is even higher for entry-level positions. Without a college degree you don't stand a chance. Even with a college degree, your chances are very slim unless you've accrued internship experience, freelance/industry experience, and graduated with honors or with some kind of recognition.

There is hope, but it starts with a college degree. Use college as an opportunity to learn your craft (at least the fundamentals), gain real world experience via internships and freelance projects, and make valuable contacts that you will be able to work with in the future.
More at http://joninreality.com.
justle
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States174 Posts
January 05 2011 22:49 GMT
#148
Also, the school you graduate from rarely matters unless the person conducting the interview graduated from there as well. Since everyone who you will be competing with will have a college degree, all that matters is that you graduated from an accredited university. More important is your work/internship experience. Have fun in college, but work hard!
More at http://joninreality.com.
Deja Thoris
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
South Africa646 Posts
January 05 2011 22:49 GMT
#149
On January 06 2011 06:33 eth3n wrote:
I have a commendable undergraduate double major, I am currently in a top tier law school (USA), I will likely be 250k in debt with very little chance to actually even FIND A JOB and practically no chance to pay it back. Note, there are over 200 (not including correspondance/online) law schools in america, and I am in a law school in the top 10% of all of those, at the top of my class, with great accolades, and I will not be able to find a job.

What the fuck do those people from the other 90% of schools do?

LONG STORY SHORT, DONT GO TO LAWSCHOOL IN AMERICA UNLESS ITS YALE/HARVARD/STANFORD (i wouldnt even go to columbia [#4])


Network more. Most doors in my life have opened through who I knew, not what I knew. Of course you need the right credentials but when the employer knows you from golf or being in the same club or whatever, it certainly distinguishes you from generic wonderboy candiate #37.

(Although having said that you need to get your foot in at least one door to start the process :/ )
Inside.Out
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Canada569 Posts
January 05 2011 23:46 GMT
#150
there was a season of 'The Apprentice' where they had college graduates v non-graduates, and it was basically even all the way through, with the 2 finalists being one from each side.
teh leet newb
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States1999 Posts
January 05 2011 23:53 GMT
#151
On January 06 2011 07:49 justle wrote:
Also, the school you graduate from rarely matters unless the person conducting the interview graduated from there as well. Since everyone who you will be competing with will have a college degree, all that matters is that you graduated from an accredited university. More important is your work/internship experience. Have fun in college, but work hard!


Also, not true at all. Lots of top tier companies only have a pool of 10-20 universities that they recruit from. Going to a school not on that list just makes your chances so much slimmer. Not saying it's not possible, it's just a lot harder.

On January 06 2011 08:46 EcstatiC wrote:
there was a season of 'The Apprentice' where they had college graduates v non-graduates, and it was basically even all the way through, with the 2 finalists being one from each side.


The non-graduate contestants on the show represented some of the brightest, most hard-working, and lucky people from the "non-graduate pool". Most people will never end up like them.
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Igakusei
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States610 Posts
January 05 2011 23:54 GMT
#152
On January 06 2011 07:49 justle wrote:
Also, the school you graduate from rarely matters unless the person conducting the interview graduated from there as well. Since everyone who you will be competing with will have a college degree, all that matters is that you graduated from an accredited university. More important is your work/internship experience. Have fun in college, but work hard!


This is more true in some fields and rather false in others. Take law, for instance, as posted just above. Law is stupidly competitive because there are far more law school seats than profitable lawyer positions. The top 10% of lawyers make bank while the bottom 90% fight for table scraps.

If you go to (and do well at) a top law university, you have a much, MUCH better chance of networking with successful lawyers who can get you an internship at a successful law firm in your chosen field (and thereby increase your chances of being in that top 10%).

If you go to Podunk law school in rural Mississippi, you're going to have to claw your way up from the bottom on your own unless you already have a network via your family or something.

That said, this is mostly true for graduate degrees (like law and others) where your undergrad experience basically exists to get you into a good graduate school. Going to a top undergrad *can* make you more competitive, but if you get a 4.0 at a small underfunded state school and do very well your GRE/MCAT/LSAT/etc you are still easily competitive for top 5 graduate programs.
Krallin
Profile Joined July 2010
France431 Posts
January 06 2011 00:21 GMT
#153
As several people already said, getting higher educaiton is probably going to make things easier, as long as you go into a field where jobs exist.
You've got to realize that higher education is not only about the courses, it's also about the people you'll meet, the support you'll receive from alumni, the help your university will provide you when it comes down to finding an internship or a first job.
Well, at least, that's how it is in the best schools in my country, but I think that there wil be similarities to a certain extent.
jimminy_kriket
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Canada5542 Posts
January 06 2011 00:31 GMT
#154
No it isn't.

Don't be fooled and think that people who don't go to university are all dumb and unhappy. There are many high paying and satisfactory jobs out there that require no educational achievements whatsoever.

For example, I have always thought you need to go to university or college to find a good job and be "successful" because that is basically what high school teaches you. I went to college last year, and it sucked. I hated it, because I didn't choose a field I was actually interested in. I chose something I thought would look good on a resume and pay well.

That all changed this summer when I got a job at a bee farm. I thought I was going to hate it, hard labor all for nothing but money - a dead end job. Boy was I wrong. It was the most fun/satisfactory job I've ever had. We got tons of exercise I haven't had in ages. We never took work home with us, when it was done it was done. Worked extremely flexible hours - if I was going to be drinking the night before work I would just tell my boss and we would start an hour later. It was amazing.

And the best part of it was how relatively easy it was for the insane amount of money it produced. Over the course of the summer we worked about 6 hours almost every day for about 3 months. It's alot easier than it sounds. And for just that little bit of work, my boss would bring in over $100,000. $100,000 for three months of work. That is the kind of shit you dream about when you go to university. And then he has the entire winter, 8+ months, to do whatever the hell he wants.

And there are tons of jobs like this. We would take the wax from the extracted and broken bee frames and sell it to a guy who melted it down and sent it to the states. You know how much he brought in each year? Close to a million dollars my boss told me. Just for melting down wax, because there just wasn't anyone else around that did it. And I guarantee you he didn't go to school for that job.

You just gotta find something you like that not many people are doing yet. Whether its through university or not, I'm sure there's tons of stuff out there that you would like.
life of lively to live to life of full life thx to shield battery
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
January 06 2011 00:35 GMT
#155
While that story may be valid, it's still much easier to find a job that pays 100k+ a year after having gone through college than with only a high school education. So of course, college is never a "necessity," but it does help make life easier for many people who choose to pursue it.
Moderator
Frits
Profile Joined March 2003
11782 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-01-06 00:45:08
January 06 2011 00:44 GMT
#156
Depends on what you want to be doing, there are simple university studies and not. The experience of being in college alone is enough for me to be wanting to study for ~8-10 years. Anyway being 'successful' is all about maximizing your potential and getting the best chances of getting a great job, which usually means studying at a university. It's depends on what you call successful but in most cases (99%) it definately helps you.

Ofcourse in holland you can do fuck all all your life and still reach a point where money never is an issue unless you want to make a shitload of money, in america things are different obviously.
GreatFall
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States1061 Posts
January 06 2011 00:51 GMT
#157
It's better to get a job you like and work your way up.
Inventor of the 'Burning Tide' technique to quickly getting Outmatched Crusher achivement :D
Nevermind86
Profile Joined August 2009
Somalia429 Posts
January 06 2011 02:02 GMT
#158
Think about how much time you dedicate to extracurriculars and just wasting time. At least 25 hours/week I'd say. Cut in on some sleep and you're set. If I-Bankers can work 80-100 hours a week, you can probably push yourself through a full-time job and school if you try hard enough.


This guy just described the history of my life, I'm going to tell you why this is completely wrong, okay here I go:

When I was 18 years old I had a job as an assistant computer technician, I was making good money for my age but also I had enough free time to hang out with my friends, practice judo/jiu jitsu and play a lot of wc3, at some point I even became pretty good at that game.

I consider myself a smart person, I knew that if I kept putting dedication to my job I could become really good at it, save some money and end up running my own business in around 3 years, that could have been a good path in life.

But my family and especially society sells an idea of "succesful man", as an old fat dude in a suit saying he's important.

I wanted big things back then, so I decided to go to university to become a lawyer, but because it was really expensive I had to work in a full time job all those years. I became a good friend of one of my professors, he knew about my dedication, so he helped me get a full time job in a big lawfirm before graduating. It was like a dream. In reality it was exhausting, working there sucked any life I still had left, my day would be wake up 6:30 am or earlier to be at work at 7:30 am, get out of work at 6 pm, then go to university until 10 or 11 pm, and repeat. Weekends were just sleeping too much and too much internet.

Here I am now, I'm 25 years old, I graduated as a lawyer finally in august 2010, the lawfirm offered me a job as a fulltime lawyer there since I've worked for them for already 2 years. Finally I could have my big fucking audi in no time, think about it, it's a fucking audi!!

I decided to quit the lawfirm after a few months of taking people's houses for not paying their mortgages, if they had kids or not, if they were sick or not, if they were crying or not it was my duty to take their houses because the banks CEO's need more money.

I look back at my years in the university and all I see is I never had a real girlfriend, never went to parties worth remenbering, my vacations was staying home because university is too expensive rather than traveling through europe or argentina or whatever.

If you ask anyone which years of their life were the best ones, we can be sure everyone would agree about being 18-25, but I completely wasted it, if I could go back in time would I do it completely different? I'm pretty fucking sure.





Interviewer: Many people hate you and would like to see you dead. How does that make you feel? Trevor Goodchild: Those people should get to know me a little better. Then they'd know I don't indulge in feelings.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
January 06 2011 02:02 GMT
#159
yes, i will in the future, but im not in high school, so i didnt answer
Retgery
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada1229 Posts
January 06 2011 02:07 GMT
#160
C's will get you a degree, but A's will get you pay.
It all depend son what you major in, as someone said before: If you go for an arts degree or something your not gonna get very far. It's always good to go for an business degree, or engineering tech degree. If your really smart you can make it as a Doctor or Engineer
Fall down 7 times, stand up 8.
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft492
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta20
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft492
WinterStarcraft346
RuFF_SC2 94
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 963
White-Ra 152
NaDa 60
Hyuk 60
Noble 57
Bale 16
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm164
LuMiX1
League of Legends
Doublelift4793
Counter-Strike
taco 477
minikerr21
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox655
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor741
Other Games
summit1g7055
Coldzera 865
C9.Mang0307
Mew2King55
ViBE53
ArmadaUGS47
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick672
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream88
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 98
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21508
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 31m
Online Event
9h 31m
FEL
14h 31m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 31m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 31m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.