• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:52
CEST 11:52
KST 18:52
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7382 users

Too Asian? - An Article on Universities - Page 9

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 18 Next All
Iskarott
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada37 Posts
November 11 2010 07:50 GMT
#161
This article got taken down now.
Deadlyfish
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark1980 Posts
November 11 2010 07:51 GMT
#162
So people are complaining that Asians are too smart and so white kids cant compete? And that the Asians dont drink/party enough. That is one of the stupidest things i have ever read.

Why not just complain that you are too stupid? I really don't get this article.

What's up with people thinking university is about drinking and socializing? You could do that outside of university, makes no sense.
If wishes were horses we'd be eating steak right now.
zeehar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Korea (South)3804 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-11 07:56:34
November 11 2010 07:56 GMT
#163
what is funny is that college here in korea is 99% about drinking.
I AM THE UNIVERSAL CONSTANT
dreamsmasher
Profile Joined November 2010
816 Posts
November 11 2010 07:56 GMT
#164
I'm Chinese and have fairly traditional Asian parents, although they're probably way more liberal than most other asian parents I know. I've always tried to balance the appearance of a social life (when I was in high school) between my parents and my friends. Mostly I just got by with a lot of lying and deception, while still maintaining good grades/studying a lot. Honestly, it's one of the most frustrating things to have to deal with, having to maintain a double identity most of the time, but I've always felt it made me stronger socially -- being able to fine-tune balance my different social circles.

It's also somewhat frustrating dealing with people who later think you're cool because you participate in 'x activity', while still excelling in academics.

It does also really piss me off when my parents guilt trip me (comparing me to my cousins in China or their Cultural Revolution days), probably why I cannot identify very well with a lot of Asians who seem to be fairly oblivious socially.
dreamsmasher
Profile Joined November 2010
816 Posts
November 11 2010 07:59 GMT
#165
oh and the surprised faces you get when you do any of the following is so fucking priceless.

1) smoke weed
2) hit on a hot white chick in public
3) talk loudly in public

it's just unfortunate that people can't have more diverse interests.
Terranist
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States2496 Posts
November 11 2010 07:59 GMT
#166
On November 11 2010 16:51 Deadlyfish wrote:
So people are complaining that Asians are too smart and so white kids cant compete? And that the Asians dont drink/party enough. That is one of the stupidest things i have ever read.

Why not just complain that you are too stupid? I really don't get this article.

What's up with people thinking university is about drinking and socializing? You could do that outside of university, makes no sense.


not if none of your friends were smart enough to get into the same university and 99% of everyone you meet while in school will have zero interest in anything that isn't studying.

some of these kids are under so much pressure that once they complete school, they don't have any clue how to integrate into the real world. developing more advanced social skills (i don't mean binge drinking) and especially networking with as many people as you can is easily the most underrated part of higher education.
The Show of a Lifetime
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
November 11 2010 08:01 GMT
#167
On November 11 2010 16:59 Terranist wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2010 16:51 Deadlyfish wrote:
So people are complaining that Asians are too smart and so white kids cant compete? And that the Asians dont drink/party enough. That is one of the stupidest things i have ever read.

Why not just complain that you are too stupid? I really don't get this article.

What's up with people thinking university is about drinking and socializing? You could do that outside of university, makes no sense.


not if none of your friends were smart enough to get into the same university and 99% of everyone you meet while in school will have zero interest in anything that isn't studying.

some of these kids are under so much pressure that once they complete school, they don't have any clue how to integrate into the real world. developing more advanced social skills (i don't mean binge drinking) and especially networking with as many people as you can is easily the most underrated part of higher education.


I'm pretty sure that's the extreme minority. I know tons of asians with good grades but none of them are anti-social or under that much pressure.
piroko139
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States261 Posts
November 11 2010 08:06 GMT
#168
I think the point of the article is to highlight the idea of how much is too much.

Much of the article concerns itself with Asian work ethic when it comes to schooling, while admirably hey perform better than their peers, they sacrifice social skills and interaction to do so. Is this really worth it, is probably the question.

It isn't pointing out that we HAVE to go to clubs and drink at universities, it's that while it's normal to do this occasionally in a university setting, Asian students are completely abolishing the experience of university social life for the sake of studying. At the same time, they are indirectly affecting the mindset of those who are also shooting for higher level education with their university choice, by skewing demographics.

It also references that much of it has to do with parents. I'm Taiwanese, and I can tell you, that as an Asian student, your parents have a RIDICULOUS impact on what you do, both socially and educationally. It's not uncommon to say a school is a good school on the grounds of the demographic being predominantly Asian.
fOrQQ
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Hong Kong321 Posts
November 11 2010 08:10 GMT
#169
Go to U of T myself =) it's true that chinese cliques are abundant (but sadly quite exclusive) at least in the STG campus (although the same can be said for many cultural or ethnic groups).
I'm Chinese (HK) myself, but I consider myself lucky to not have joined those Chinese clubs and have a diverse core of friends instead. Stuck around other HKers and fobs in first semester first year, HATED it, ditched, found better friends
I was raised in a strict family setting too, stereotypical study all day practice piano all night upbringing; it's just a general cultural work ethic I suppose. Many immigrant students know how much it takes to move and survive in a new setting (not just in terms of financial risk) and are taught to work hard and maximize their educational opportunities.
I'm glad that university admissions in Canada are based solely(?) on merit
Zzoram
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada7115 Posts
November 11 2010 08:11 GMT
#170
On November 11 2010 17:06 piroko139 wrote:
I think the point of the article is to highlight the idea of how much is too much.

Much of the article concerns itself with Asian work ethic when it comes to schooling, while admirably hey perform better than their peers, they sacrifice social skills and interaction to do so. Is this really worth it, is probably the question.

It isn't pointing out that we HAVE to go to clubs and drink at universities, it's that while it's normal to do this occasionally in a university setting, Asian students are completely abolishing the experience of university social life for the sake of studying. At the same time, they are indirectly affecting the mindset of those who are also shooting for higher level education with their university choice, by skewing demographics.

It also references that much of it has to do with parents. I'm Taiwanese, and I can tell you, that as an Asian student, your parents have a RIDICULOUS impact on what you do, both socially and educationally. It's not uncommon to say a school is a good school on the grounds of the demographic being predominantly Asian.


Extreme pressure on asian kids isn't the norm, it's an extreme example like the white parents who put pressure on their kids to be tennis stars training them from childhood. Sure the average asian parents care more about school, but that doesn't mean they're mostly crazy oppressive.
potatomash3r
Profile Joined April 2010
Australia417 Posts
November 11 2010 08:12 GMT
#171
I don't understand how can people bash others for having good grades. Last time I checked hard work was something good, not something to be scorned at, laughed at, or ridiculed for. Sure, some people will argue, "Hey having a GPA of 4.0 is no different than a 2.0 in real life LOLOL." How true this is, I don't know.

But it isn't about the bloody grade, its about the work ethic that you develop when you tried to achieve good grades. University is about character building - some people come out of their shells and become more sociable, others discover their passions, or find the love of their life, etc. It isn't about partying, drinking, or any of that bullshit. And really, is that the definition of 'white' culture? To party and drink? They do that everywhere, especially from where I'm from.

For those of you that are contempt of simply passing university to get a degree, more power to you. Personally, I see it as a challenge and if I miss out on all the drinking or partying, fuck I have my entire left to get wasted later on. As a foreign student mysef, if I wanted to fucking party and drink I'd stay at home. Shit is cheaper. People talking shit about how asians are 'brain washed' to work hard are really ignorant, stop trying to justify your reasons for not working hard.
Part of being mature is to accept your loss.
stink123
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United States241 Posts
November 11 2010 08:12 GMT
#172
Honestly, I fail to see the problem here. Only two things could be happening here:
A) They are selecting the better students to be in college, where a large number happen to be asian.
B) There is a flaw in the current system of meritocracy and they are not selecting the better students.

So either school grades do not describe a student's potential, or non-asian students don't work as hard.
Likely, its a combination of these two, but the articles tangents into social life etc. borderline on whining. And if college is supposed to be more than academics, they mentioned that only certain colleges (waterloo, etc) were having this problem whereas the other colleges were more balanced. And if that's what they want out of a college education, so be it. If others want a heavily academically focused education, let them do that too. The only people who seem pissed are the people who wanted to say "My kid/I go to X school, that means I'm smart and therefore a better person than you!" when they didn't really earn it.
aztrorisk
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States896 Posts
November 11 2010 08:13 GMT
#173
I disagree with alot of stuff mentioned in this article.

1. Asians do have a very active social life in college (maybe not to "white" standards). Most college Asian college students party alot and is very involved.
2. White people has the same, if not a better, chance of getting admitted into the same college. The only problem is that white people tend to devote less time towards their education and now they are complaining about Asians taking their spot. This is just an excuse. Do you want a Asian doctor that spent 2000 hours studying health or a white doctor that only spent 1000 hours studying?
3. I think it is the most unfair for Asians because they have to work harder to achieve the same social standards.

I laugh at the fact that drinking has been accepted into society. Drinking is an very unhealthy habit and this article seems to portray it in a positive light. I can't help but feel that society is backtracking their progress that they made towards tolerance. I'm glad I live in a predominately minority society that I don't have to deal with this.

I have never been more repulsed by this article than any other article in my life. Its kind of depressing to read that social still functions on ethic distinction.
A lock that opens to many keys is a bad lock. A key that opens many locks is a master key.
aztrorisk
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States896 Posts
November 11 2010 08:18 GMT
#174
So either school grades do not describe a student's potential, or non-asian students don't work as hard.
Likely, its a combination of these two, but the articles tangents into social life etc. borderline on whining. And if college is supposed to be more than academics, they mentioned that only certain colleges (waterloo, etc) were having this problem whereas the other colleges were more balanced. And if that's what they want out of a college education, so be it. If others want a heavily academically focused education, let them do that too. The only people who seem pissed are the people who wanted to say "My kid/I go to X school, that means I'm smart and therefore a better person than you!" when they didn't really earn it.


I agree. This might mean that a less intelligent individual gets accepted over a more intelligent individual. But this factor doesn't really matter if the more intelligent individual lacks a work ethic.

Consider this scenario:
An less intelligent individual devotes all their time and learn all the information.
An more intelligent individual devotes less time and only learns some information even though they could probably accomplish the same amount of studying as the less intelligent individual in 2/3th of the time.

The more intelligent individual shows that they lack a work ethic and they are unreliable unlike the less intelligent individual. As a result, you would trust the more determined, less intelligent person over your life than the lazy, intelligent individual.
A lock that opens to many keys is a bad lock. A key that opens many locks is a master key.
Premonition
Profile Joined November 2010
1 Post
November 11 2010 08:32 GMT
#175
I currently go to a high schools in Sydney, Australia. Being an Asian myself, I do socialise, and many of my friends socialise, we end up playing Starcraft / Warcraft III, and we do go out. The racial stereotype thing where white parents tell you that you stopped their child from getting into certain selective schools is fairly prevalent here. For example, the top 4/5 high schools here have Asian populations exceeding 95%, literally. My schools has 1200 people with at least 1100 of them being Asian, not necessarily yellow skinned but including Indians, etc.

You can still get good grades & socialise, I myself score decent, not brilliant marks, but manage to go out every week + fit in 10 odd hours of games all the time. There may be some people who don't socialise a lot, but this percentage is overblown from like 5% to the state where it becomes a stereotype. The white people in this school have changed into more 'Asian' styles of socialising, playing Starcraft & whatnot, while many Asians here are rather decent at sports. State champions for both basketball + volleyball.

Asians like to have good marks, they do care about their marks, many white people do as well. White people strive for a solid mark, while Asians like to overachieve, getting their straight A's etc. But thats not always the case, there's a Russian, who consistently scores very well and manages to find time to spend 15 hrs a week to play L4D/Halo/CoD and other games.
haduken
Profile Blog Joined April 2003
Australia8267 Posts
November 11 2010 08:36 GMT
#176
I don't understand why the mother think her son is more entitled just because he's white. If it was me I would straight told her the reason, it's because you failed as a parent.
Rillanon.au
FishForThought
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada88 Posts
November 11 2010 08:40 GMT
#177
Seriously, de-academic University admission? If you can't get decent grades in High school, you will definitely flunk out/go on probation after the first year of University.

Personal Anecdote:
I graduated from UBC Engineering and lets see..

1st year, we had 7-8 courses per term, I get up at 6:30am just so I can get to my 8:00 class on time, I have class straight till 4:30pm, I get home around 5:30 ish, eat dinner, do my assignments (which counts for grades) then sleep.

2nd year, I was in this project-oriented program. For each project during crunch time, I had to stay overnight at school and be awake for over 30+ hours and we had 4 projects throughout the semester. Not to mention there was normal course work and exams too.

3rd -4th year. Co-op/Internship mixed with 3rd/4th year course work. Actually these two years wasn't that bad, probably because we already gotten used to heavy course work in the 1st/2nd year but had to use my summer to take courses so I don't spend a decade to graduate.

You really think a low academic student can survive this course load when he could barely do well with High school load?
Flushot
Profile Joined August 2009
United States218 Posts
November 11 2010 08:56 GMT
#178
This article felt like it wanted to state something that we might see on an extremely broad and general scale. Being in medical school in AZ, it is jarring to see the disproportionate amount of Asians in my class compared to how many Asians that actually live in this state.

The underlined part is also true for med school admissions. They'll ask about leadership, social activities, and other things besides the MCAT and gpa. I don't know what middle ground they're looking for, but it will stop eventually.

One example would be residencies for physicians. The initial filter for interviewees is very strict, almost purely a 'meritocracy' as the article states over and over. Obviously, you want the best residents to be the most capable right? Well, after that, you're pretty much in the clear. It's all about personality from there.

I wish this article had a solution or something, rather than state some anomalous generalizations about Asians (which, from personal experience of being Asian, is true in terms of tradition).
Class of 2013
iPlaY.NettleS
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
Australia4455 Posts
November 11 2010 09:15 GMT
#179
Asian kids, meanwhile, say they are resented for taking the spots of white kids. “At graduation a Canadian—i.e. ‘white’—mother told me that I’m the reason her son didn’t get a space in university and that all the immigrants in the country are taking up university spots,” says Frankie Mao, a 22-year-old arts student at the University of British Columbia. “I knew it was wrong, being generalized in this category,” says Mao, “but f–k, I worked hard for it.”

Probably a blessing in disguise.
Canadian kid who missed out on arts school has more chance getting a non-arts related jobs than an arts one (if he achieved the arts degree) not to mention the debt load of getting the arts degree (did i mention theres hardly any jobs at the end of that degree?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PvoI6gvQs
nihoh
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia978 Posts
November 11 2010 09:38 GMT
#180
Doesn't matter a fuck what colour and race you are. Dumb shit is dumb shit. I'm sure alot of Asian students don't bother even lifting a pen and get into better uni's than whites. Take me for an example. I didn't do shit in Year 12 and I got into a competitive course in Australia. And i'm proabbly hte laziest cunt in my year right now.
Dont look at the finger or you will miss all that heavenly glory.
Prev 1 7 8 9 10 11 18 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 1319
actioN 1232
Soma 631
EffOrt 311
Horang2 215
Pusan 176
Jaedong 151
hero 124
Stork 124
soO 88
[ Show more ]
HiyA 77
ZerO 75
Killer 67
Rush 45
Shinee 33
Sharp 32
sorry 32
Bale 31
Mong 25
NaDa 12
Terrorterran 11
Noble 10
JulyZerg 9
Sexy 7
Dota 2
Gorgc1211
XaKoH 151
Counter-Strike
edward49
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes797
WinterStarcraft771
Other Games
gofns51083
singsing1193
olofmeister1139
ceh9577
Livibee204
Pyrionflax138
ArmadaUGS55
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick546
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream459
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH342
• StrangeGG 41
• LUISG 26
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2337
League of Legends
• Jankos1642
• Rush1399
• Stunt383
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8m
CranKy Ducklings3
Afreeca Starleague
8m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
14h 8m
Kung Fu Cup
1d 1h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.