• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 11:38
CEST 17:38
KST 00:38
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9498 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 118

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 116 117 118 119 120 140 Next
aphorism
Profile Joined February 2011
United States226 Posts
November 15 2011 22:05 GMT
#2341
22. Re3
ApocAlypsE007
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Israel1007 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 22:21:36
November 15 2011 22:21 GMT
#2342
I will go mainstream this time and vote 22.Re3 for the natural move.
I'm playing the game, the one that will take me to my end, i'm waiting for the rain, TO WASH-- WHO I AM!!!
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 23:43 GMT
#2343
Why is it natural?

Just asking.
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
November 16 2011 00:10 GMT
#2344
It's not! IT'S TOTALLY NOT. I have serious concerns re: 22. Re3. Why are we making this move? Please don't just drop a vote in here without reasoning, gentlemen. As the game gets closer to the end we need to be more and more careful about what we do.

I want to hear more about alternative moves please.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 16 2011 00:11 GMT
#2345
On November 16 2011 09:10 Blazinghand wrote:
I want to hear more about alternative moves please.
Got any?
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
November 16 2011 00:18 GMT
#2346
On November 16 2011 09:11 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 09:10 Blazinghand wrote:
I want to hear more about alternative moves please.
Got any?

AUGH you got me. OK i'll do some thinking :D
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 16 2011 01:23 GMT
#2347
Is Reb1 worth considering at all?
133 221 333 123 111
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
November 16 2011 03:45 GMT
#2348
22. Re3

+ Show Spoiler +
Possible continuation are:

22...Rxe3,

whether we play 23. fxe or 23. Bxe3, then 23...c6, 23...c5 or 23...Ra8 are all playable for black. I prefer 23.fxe though since the bishop if much more of a threat on the f4 square and gives room for our king to move. I think we'll be hard to keep the a3 pawn in any case, so follow with:

24. g4 if we can open up the king side, then our position will be more advantageous given our knight and bishop are already there.
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
November 16 2011 03:55 GMT
#2349
+ Show Spoiler +
If Black plays 22... Rb7, then we can play 23. g4 immediately, gaining momentum.

if black plays 22...Rb5, then 23. Bd2 follow by 24. Re1, we would gain massive advantage with the open e-file
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
November 16 2011 04:01 GMT
#2350
On November 16 2011 10:23 GenesisX wrote:
Is Reb1 worth considering at all?


No, it's pretty much suicidal if we play that now. Black can take pawn (a3 then a5 after) or double up his rooks with Rcb8.
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 04:46:43
November 16 2011 04:31 GMT
#2351
On November 16 2011 00:34 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 00:12 SheaR619 wrote:
22. Re3

+ Show Spoiler +
Black will end up giving up that position. He cant do Bd3 because we can follow it up by doing Ne1 which basically win us a free bishop. This mean his only logical response is to retreat. This will basically force black to retreat and play defensively again or go for the a5 pawn instead which I think he is going to do next.
I disagree: I think Black will play one of three moves, none of which are the one that you mention.
+ Show Spoiler +
His most likely move, imo, is 22...Rxd3, but he could also play 22...Rcb8 or 22...Rd3.

If Black gives up the position, as you suggest, Re1 is a strong move for us (prefaced by 23. a4 if Black plays 22...Rb5). For that reason, I think that Black will play one of the three above moves. See 22. Re3 on the tree for more analysis.

edit: actually, maybe your move works out for Black too... looking at it some more...

PS: I miss everyone posting analysis. . I'm doing what I can myself, but my analysis abilities pale in comparison to those of the team as a whole. Come back, guys!

edit 2: OK, I added SheaR's suggestion to the tree, here. It looks like it has potential to be an interesting line. I kind of hope Black will go down it, as the other suggested continuations tend to lead to simplification. I think we have strong chances if he does, so I'm afraid he probably won't, but who knows the mind of Ng5?


+ Show Spoiler +
Of the 3 possible move you suggested, it is indeed possible that he can do those move if he did

22...Rxd3 I dont really see what he can gain from this trade. Considering he already down pieces I dont think he would want to trade pieces at all unless he gain a game changing advantage or a significant advantage. This was mainly why I didnt really considered him doing this move but then again it not a terrible move so it still plausible.

22...Rcb8 I dont see why he would do this move when we can just do Bxc7 right after then follow up by RxBe7+ and retreat back to defend bot row.

22...Rd3 I dont really see anything he can gain from this position. He can keep pressure on the middle pawn now and the a3 pawn but with our knight there he doesnt seem to be able to do much. We also have the option to just trade which isnt a bad choice cause we are up pawns anyways.

Which is why I think he would probably retreat and do Rb5 to attack the weakest pawn pieces we have atm. He cant really do anything else that I can see. Also, this pawn will most likely fall because it some what troublesome to defend it as well and if he does go for this, I think it best to sacrifice it and just trade it for something position or another pawn.

I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 16 2011 15:51 GMT
#2352
On November 16 2011 13:31 SheaR619 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 00:34 qrs wrote:
On November 16 2011 00:12 SheaR619 wrote:
22. Re3

+ Show Spoiler +
Black will end up giving up that position. He cant do Bd3 because we can follow it up by doing Ne1 which basically win us a free bishop. This mean his only logical response is to retreat. This will basically force black to retreat and play defensively again or go for the a5 pawn instead which I think he is going to do next.
I disagree: I think Black will play one of three moves, none of which are the one that you mention.
+ Show Spoiler +
His most likely move, imo, is 22...Rxd3, but he could also play 22...Rcb8 or 22...Rd3.

If Black gives up the position, as you suggest, Re1 is a strong move for us (prefaced by 23. a4 if Black plays 22...Rb5). For that reason, I think that Black will play one of the three above moves. See 22. Re3 on the tree for more analysis.

edit: actually, maybe your move works out for Black too... looking at it some more...

PS: I miss everyone posting analysis. . I'm doing what I can myself, but my analysis abilities pale in comparison to those of the team as a whole. Come back, guys!

edit 2: OK, I added SheaR's suggestion to the tree, here. It looks like it has potential to be an interesting line. I kind of hope Black will go down it, as the other suggested continuations tend to lead to simplification. I think we have strong chances if he does, so I'm afraid he probably won't, but who knows the mind of Ng5?


+ Show Spoiler +
Of the 3 possible move you suggested, it is indeed possible that he can do those move if he did

22...Rx[e]3 I dont really see what he can gain from this trade. Considering he already down pieces I dont think he would want to trade pieces at all unless he gain a game changing advantage or a significant advantage. This was mainly why I didnt really considered him doing this move but then again it not a terrible move so it still plausible.

22...Rcb8 I dont see why he would do this move when we can just do Bxc7 right after then follow up by RxBe7+ and retreat back to defend bot row.

22...Rd3 I dont really see anything he can gain from this position. He can keep pressure on the middle pawn now and the a3 pawn but with our knight there he doesnt seem to be able to do much. We also have the option to just trade which isnt a bad choice cause we are up pawns anyways.

Which is why I think he would probably retreat and do Rb5 to attack the weakest pawn pieces we have atm. He cant really do anything else that I can see. Also, this pawn will most likely fall because it some what troublesome to defend it as well and if he does go for this, I think it best to sacrifice it and just trade it for something position or another pawn.
About the second two moves I suggested, let's dismiss them from the discussion for now, because at the moment, the move that I'm by far the most worried about is the first.

+ Show Spoiler [continued] +
On November 16 2011 13:31 SheaR619 wrote:
22...Rx[e]3 I dont really see what he can gain from this trade. Considering he already down pieces I dont think he would want to trade pieces at all unless he gain a game changing advantage or a significant advantage. This was mainly why I didnt really considered him doing this move but then again it not a terrible move so it still plausible.

I have to assume that you're saying this based on general principles, and in fact you yourself say that you didn't really consider him doing this move. I admit that in the abstract, it seems reasonable to assume that exchanges in general are good for us. However, this exchange is not!

You want to know what significant advantage Black gains from it? In a nutshell, he trades off one of his several active pieces for our only active piece (our a1 Rook is stuck in the corner defending a3 and our Knight and Bishop are currently pretty restricted in mobility: there aren't many squares for them to go to). That's a definite short term advantage for Black: it allows him to concentrate his forces on areas where we can't bring as many of ours to bear.

Let's not just debate theoretically, though: look at some lines. After 22...Rxe3, we have to either play 23. Bxe3 or 23. fxe3. Which do you prefer? For a time I thought that 23. fxe3 was better; I now think that the game is almost unwinnable if we play that, due to the response 23...c5. See the analysis here for more details.

If we play 23. Bxe3, the Black response I was most worried about earlier was 23...Bd3, threatening a number of things on both the Kingside and the Queenside. I now think that we may be able to come out of that line OK--but more analysis is still necessary. See the analysis here for more details. Even if 23...Bd3 works out all right for us, there are still other Black responses that we need to consider after 23. Bxe3.

In a nutshell, what you'll see if you look at these lines is that a) Black threatens to capture all of our Queenside pawns, and b) we don't have a good way to generate a counter-attack. That's really the big deal about losing our Rook at e3: it was one of the few pieces we had that could help us go after Black's own pawns. In its absence, we're reduced to hanging on to ours until we can slowly generate some counterplay--but hanging on to our pawns is not going to be easy. Please, check out what happens after 22...Rxe3 before dismissing it just because it's a trade.

The main page on the tree for 22...Rxe3 is here.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
LaXerCannon
Profile Joined October 2008
Canada558 Posts
November 16 2011 16:00 GMT
#2353
a4
+ Show Spoiler +
Keep material. Pure and simple.
Re3 is okay as well but...
22. Re3 Rcb8. In this variation, he's threatening a backrow mate if we ever move our e3 rook away while still attacking our a3 pawn.
Just keep swimming
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 16 2011 16:37 GMT
#2354
On November 17 2011 01:00 LaXerCannon wrote:
a4
+ Show Spoiler +
Keep material. Pure and simple.
Re3 is okay as well but...
22. Re3 Rcb8. In this variation, he's threatening a backrow mate if we ever move our e3 rook away while still attacking our a3 pawn.
+ Show Spoiler +
Keep what material? 22. a4 Bb4, and Black will pick up the a5 pawn. We'll still have our pawn on a4, to be sure but I don't see a good way to make progress here. Do you?

As for 22. Re3 Rcb8 we have a couple of at least decent-looking responses to that: 23. Bxc7 and 23. Nd2. The move I'm more worried about after 22. Re3 is 22...Rxe3, but at least there I see some play for us, unlike after 22. a4.

My rule of thumb for our position is that we shouldn't let Black have even one of our a-pawns without extracting some concession in return, such as sidelining his Rook or making him give up his Bishop pair.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
November 16 2011 16:57 GMT
#2355
Re3

+ Show Spoiler +
I've been trying to come up with a way to make moving one of our rooks to another square on the back row work, but it doesn't. I also thought perhaps Nh4 might work as we would sacrifice the pawn for a little bit of tempo with our knight, in order to get it to the f5 square to apply pressure. But the more I looked at it, the more I think that actually takes our knight out of position more than it helps us put any pressure on. Perhaps in a couple moves, but right now Re3 is the move we need to play. Let's force him to either trade, or make an awkward move with that rook.
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-16 19:08:09
November 16 2011 18:45 GMT
#2356
+ Show Spoiler +
I don't like 22. Re3 at all, but I'm not sure where to go otherwise :/

22. Re3 Rxe3

And then 23. fxe3 c5 24. dxc5 (else black with a protected passed pawned that looks unstoppable) Bxc5 doesn't look as strong for black as I thought it did, (with the weak isolated e pawn). I'm thinking the continuation is 25. Nd4 but I'm not sure white's general plan after this point. Activate the king is what I'm guessing, but I don't see the specific details right now.

23. Bxe3 sucks for white. He has zero active pieces. His only active one is now defending the pawn (Bishop).

I personally don't like Qrs's follow up for black with 23...Bd3 though, because of 24. Rc1 Bxa3 25. Rc3 Rb8 26. g3 Be4 27. Rxa3 Bxf3 28. Ra1 which looks drawish to me. That being said, I haven't worked out a good response for black that punishes white so it might be the best or their might be a line in there that plays out better for black.

Edit: wait nope scratch that my line sucks. Instead of 26...Be4 26...Rb1+ 27. Kg2 Bf1+ 28. Kh1 Bh3+ 29. Ng1 and white is dead.
Write your own song!
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 16 2011 20:10 GMT
#2357
On November 17 2011 03:45 mastergriggy wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I don't like 22. Re3 at all, but I'm not sure where to go otherwise :/

22. Re3 Rxe3

And then 23. fxe3 c5 24. dxc5 (else black with a protected passed pawned that looks unstoppable) Bxc5 doesn't look as strong for black as I thought it did, (with the weak isolated e pawn). I'm thinking the continuation is 25. Nd4 but I'm not sure white's general plan after this point. Activate the king is what I'm guessing, but I don't see the specific details right now.

23. Bxe3 sucks for white. He has zero active pieces. His only active one is now defending the pawn (Bishop).

I personally don't like Qrs's follow up for black with 23...Bd3 though, because of 24. Rc1 Bxa3 25. Rc3 Rb8 26. g3 Be4 27. Rxa3 Bxf3 28. Ra1 which looks drawish to me. That being said, I haven't worked out a good response for black that punishes white so it might be the best or their might be a line in there that plays out better for black.

Edit: wait nope scratch that my line sucks. Instead of 26...Be4 26...Rb1+ 27. Kg2 Bf1+ 28. Kh1 Bh3+ 29. Ng1 and white is dead.
I've been posting most of my analysis to the tree (relevant line starts here). I don't know how much you've seen of it, but some of it addresses some of your post.
+ Show Spoiler +
1) After 22. Re3 Rxe3 23. fxe3 c5 24. dxc5, Black can play, rather than 24...Bxc5, 24...Rxc5, and he immediately threatens both of our Queenside pawns. I don't see a way to stop him, nor to generate significant counterplay, and if we can't do either before he kills our pawns, then he'll have evened up the material, and we won't have a single advantage in this game (whereas Black will still have the Bishop pair on the open board). That's the reason that so far I'm favoring 23. Bxe3 instead, in the hope that we can make it end up working out.

2) I admit that 23...Bd3 may not be Black's best response to 23. Bxe3, but it's the one that worried me most at first. Later I started to think that we might manage to make out all right in it. Black's various other options can still use analysis.

3) If Black does play 23...Bxd3 in response to 23. Bxe3, my main line isn't 24. Rc1. Instead, I'm hoping we can play 24. Bd2 or perhaps 24. Ne1 followed by Bd2, the idea being to hold on to our Queenside pawns (or forcing Black to give something up to get one of them), and in particular, intending to play Bb4.

As long as we can hold on to our material, we have something to play for. If we let Black get it all back for nothing, then I don't know what our plan is anymore.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
November 16 2011 21:05 GMT
#2358
On November 17 2011 05:10 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2011 03:45 mastergriggy wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I don't like 22. Re3 at all, but I'm not sure where to go otherwise :/

22. Re3 Rxe3

And then 23. fxe3 c5 24. dxc5 (else black with a protected passed pawned that looks unstoppable) Bxc5 doesn't look as strong for black as I thought it did, (with the weak isolated e pawn). I'm thinking the continuation is 25. Nd4 but I'm not sure white's general plan after this point. Activate the king is what I'm guessing, but I don't see the specific details right now.

23. Bxe3 sucks for white. He has zero active pieces. His only active one is now defending the pawn (Bishop).

I personally don't like Qrs's follow up for black with 23...Bd3 though, because of 24. Rc1 Bxa3 25. Rc3 Rb8 26. g3 Be4 27. Rxa3 Bxf3 28. Ra1 which looks drawish to me. That being said, I haven't worked out a good response for black that punishes white so it might be the best or their might be a line in there that plays out better for black.

Edit: wait nope scratch that my line sucks. Instead of 26...Be4 26...Rb1+ 27. Kg2 Bf1+ 28. Kh1 Bh3+ 29. Ng1 and white is dead.
I've been posting most of my analysis to the tree (relevant line starts here). I don't know how much you've seen of it, but some of it addresses some of your post.
+ Show Spoiler +
1) After 22. Re3 Rxe3 23. fxe3 c5 24. dxc5, Black can play, rather than 24...Bxc5, 24...Rxc5, and he immediately threatens both of our Queenside pawns. I don't see a way to stop him, nor to generate significant counterplay, and if we can't do either before he kills our pawns, then he'll have evened up the material, and we won't have a single advantage in this game (whereas Black will still have the Bishop pair on the open board). That's the reason that so far I'm favoring 23. Bxe3 instead, in the hope that we can make it end up working out.

2) I admit that 23...Bd3 may not be Black's best response to 23. Bxe3, but it's the one that worried me most at first. Later I started to think that we might manage to make out all right in it. Black's various other options can still use analysis.

3) If Black does play 23...Bxd3 in response to 23. Bxe3, my main line isn't 24. Rc1. Instead, I'm hoping we can play 24. Bd2 or perhaps 24. Ne1 followed by Bd2, the idea being to hold on to our Queenside pawns (or forcing Black to give something up to get one of them), and in particular, intending to play Bb4.

As long as we can hold on to our material, we have something to play for. If we let Black get it all back for nothing, then I don't know what our plan is anymore.


+ Show Spoiler +
Alright rook does look stronger than Bishop, so let's assume black would play that move over the other one which leads to more equality.

As for the 24. Bd2, I see black responding with Rb8 with the idea of Rb3.

If white blocks with 25. Bb4 Bxb4 26. axb4 Rxb4; white can't push the pawn because of the black rank mate. The position looks even, with a slight advantage for white with the passed pawn.

25. Ne1 seems to deal with the Bishop. Black can't play Rb3 here because of 26. Bb4 Bxb4 27. axb4 and black can't retake the pawn because of the hanging Bishop. 25...Bc4 to stop the pawn from pushing/keep it on the queenside as well as keeping white's king back. I don't see anything good for white except for more defensive play.

So, to sum up what I've looked at, it seems like black has a very solid response in Rb8 because of the holes on that file.


I need three more posts haha
Write your own song!
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 16 2011 21:39 GMT
#2359
On November 16 2011 13:01 dtvu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 16 2011 10:23 GenesisX wrote:
Is Reb1 worth considering at all?


No, it's pretty much suicidal if we play that now. Black can take pawn (a3 then a5 after) or double up his rooks with Rcb8.


Nevermind. After analyzing the situation, Reb1 and a4 both end with material losses.
133 221 333 123 111
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 16 2011 22:22 GMT
#2360
On November 17 2011 06:05 mastergriggy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 17 2011 05:10 qrs wrote:
On November 17 2011 03:45 mastergriggy wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
I don't like 22. Re3 at all, but I'm not sure where to go otherwise :/

22. Re3 Rxe3

And then 23. fxe3 c5 24. dxc5 (else black with a protected passed pawned that looks unstoppable) Bxc5 doesn't look as strong for black as I thought it did, (with the weak isolated e pawn). I'm thinking the continuation is 25. Nd4 but I'm not sure white's general plan after this point. Activate the king is what I'm guessing, but I don't see the specific details right now.

23. Bxe3 sucks for white. He has zero active pieces. His only active one is now defending the pawn (Bishop).

I personally don't like Qrs's follow up for black with 23...Bd3 though, because of 24. Rc1 Bxa3 25. Rc3 Rb8 26. g3 Be4 27. Rxa3 Bxf3 28. Ra1 which looks drawish to me. That being said, I haven't worked out a good response for black that punishes white so it might be the best or their might be a line in there that plays out better for black.

Edit: wait nope scratch that my line sucks. Instead of 26...Be4 26...Rb1+ 27. Kg2 Bf1+ 28. Kh1 Bh3+ 29. Ng1 and white is dead.
I've been posting most of my analysis to the tree (relevant line starts here). I don't know how much you've seen of it, but some of it addresses some of your post.
+ Show Spoiler +
1) After 22. Re3 Rxe3 23. fxe3 c5 24. dxc5, Black can play, rather than 24...Bxc5, 24...Rxc5, and he immediately threatens both of our Queenside pawns. I don't see a way to stop him, nor to generate significant counterplay, and if we can't do either before he kills our pawns, then he'll have evened up the material, and we won't have a single advantage in this game (whereas Black will still have the Bishop pair on the open board). That's the reason that so far I'm favoring 23. Bxe3 instead, in the hope that we can make it end up working out.

2) I admit that 23...Bd3 may not be Black's best response to 23. Bxe3, but it's the one that worried me most at first. Later I started to think that we might manage to make out all right in it. Black's various other options can still use analysis.

3) If Black does play 23...Bxd3 in response to 23. Bxe3, my main line isn't 24. Rc1. Instead, I'm hoping we can play 24. Bd2 or perhaps 24. Ne1 followed by Bd2, the idea being to hold on to our Queenside pawns (or forcing Black to give something up to get one of them), and in particular, intending to play Bb4.

As long as we can hold on to our material, we have something to play for. If we let Black get it all back for nothing, then I don't know what our plan is anymore.


+ Show Spoiler +
Alright rook does look stronger than Bishop, so let's assume black would play that move over the other one which leads to more equality.

As for the 24. Bd2, I see black responding with Rb8 with the idea of Rb3.

If white blocks with 25. Bb4 Bxb4 26. axb4 Rxb4; white can't push the pawn because of the black rank mate. The position looks even, with a slight advantage for white with the passed pawn.

25. Ne1 seems to deal with the Bishop. Black can't play Rb3 here because of 26. Bb4 Bxb4 27. axb4 and black can't retake the pawn because of the hanging Bishop. 25...Bc4 to stop the pawn from pushing/keep it on the queenside as well as keeping white's king back. I don't see anything good for white except for more defensive play.

So, to sum up what I've looked at, it seems like black has a very solid response in Rb8 because of the holes on that file.


I need three more posts haha
First of all, check the tree! A lot of what you've posted is on there already, including your suggested 24th move for Black. I just posted a further response there + Show Spoiler +
(briefly, after 25...Bc4 we still have 26. Bb4)

At any rate, I hope that at this point you agree that after + Show Spoiler +
23. Bxe3
it's still a game: various options and plans are shaping up for us as well as for Black, and we continue to be able to play to keep an advantage, whereas after + Show Spoiler +
23. fxe3 (c5 24. dxc5 Rxc5)
Black has shut us down completely, and we have nothing left to play for except holding a draw.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Prev 1 116 117 118 119 120 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
IntoTheiNu 680
ComeBackTV 424
SteadfastSC397
Rex117
EnkiAlexander 52
CosmosSc2 48
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 397
ProTech151
Rex 117
CosmosSc2 49
UpATreeSC 14
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 42050
Jaedong 1116
Hyuk 1066
Soma 950
Mini 631
Horang2 579
EffOrt 536
BeSt 475
Larva 410
Soulkey 334
[ Show more ]
ZerO 300
Stork 224
Snow 220
Last 219
ggaemo 215
Rush 214
hero 80
Mind 70
Sharp 41
Liquid`Ret 39
Shinee 36
Free 35
Killer 35
Shine 29
Terrorterran 26
ToSsGirL 22
sorry 20
HiyA 19
Trap 18
Rock 16
yabsab 13
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc7348
qojqva1684
Dendi835
Counter-Strike
Fnx 777
x6flipin753
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2387
Khaldor1925
Other Games
ArmadaUGS2943
singsing1944
B2W.Neo945
hiko884
byalli430
Liquid`VortiX187
KnowMe114
QueenE88
Mew2King70
Trikslyr33
Railgan14
ZerO(Twitch)14
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream111
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 27
• mYiSmile114
• Adnapsc2 3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 16
• FirePhoenix5
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 2706
League of Legends
• Nemesis1956
• Jankos1102
• TFBlade730
Other Games
• Shiphtur332
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
18h 22m
OSC
21h 22m
Stellar Fest
21h 22m
OSC
1d 8h
Stellar Fest
1d 21h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.