• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 04:16
CEST 10:16
KST 17:16
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)31Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder BW General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work?
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9300 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 116

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 114 115 116 117 118 140 Next
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 11 2011 14:32 GMT
#2301
On November 11 2011 16:34 Ng5 wrote:
Thou hast spoken wisdom.
FTFY

On November 11 2011 23:09 ApocAlypsE007 wrote:
Unless I'm missing something:
21. Bf4 Rxf3 22. gxf3 Rg8+ 23. Kh1 Bb7 24. Re3 c5 will lead to a possible mating threat and a huge disadvantage to white. I think it is necessary to sacrifice the a3 pawn to gain some momentum and maintaining a solid position for white while trying to trade for the endgame with material advantage.
I will play 21. Be3 as taking the a3 pawn for black is more or less giving up on immediate mating attack.
You're worrying over nothing. For starters, + Show Spoiler +
24. Bxc7
cuts Black's attack in your line dead.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Malli
Profile Joined September 2005
Germany138 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-11 15:27:44
November 11 2011 15:27 GMT
#2302
Bf4
gg no re
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
November 11 2011 15:48 GMT
#2303
On November 11 2011 23:32 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 16:34 Ng5 wrote:
Thou hast spoken wisdom.
FTFY

Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 23:09 ApocAlypsE007 wrote:
Unless I'm missing something:
21. Bf4 Rxf3 22. gxf3 Rg8+ 23. Kh1 Bb7 24. Re3 c5 will lead to a possible mating threat and a huge disadvantage to white. I think it is necessary to sacrifice the a3 pawn to gain some momentum and maintaining a solid position for white while trying to trade for the endgame with material advantage.
I will play 21. Be3 as taking the a3 pawn for black is more or less giving up on immediate mating attack.
You're worrying over nothing. For starters, + Show Spoiler +
24. Bxc7
cuts Black's attack in your line dead.


+ Show Spoiler +
That, or in his original line, I'm not sure why we would play 24. Re3. Instead, we could play 24. Bg3. That would essentially kill the attack and he would have sacrificed a rook for a knight and pawn at most. As our fearless leader qrs said, you're worrying over nothing.
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
hp.Shell
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2527 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-12 13:37:24
November 12 2011 13:30 GMT
#2304
Bf4. Finally, our pieces are capable of aggression.
+ Show Spoiler +
Everything else with the exception of Nh4 and perhaps Re3 looks disgusting, and Nh4 threatening Nf5 Nxe7 doesn't really work for me. It's still trading material, which we could have done a move earlier. I like Re3 over Nh4 because it forces a rook move (or Bd3, which is undesirable for black). Even though I enjoy the position of Re3 between the rooks over the better positioning of the bishop with Bf4, I don't see a reason to make Re3 beforehand.
Please PM me with any songs you like that you think I haven't heard before!
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 13 2011 07:45 GMT
#2305
Move 21 votes (final)

+ Show Spoiler [votes] +
21. Re3: 1 (chesshaha)
21. Bf4: 11 (Raysalis, hype[NZ], SheaR1619, Mash2, LaXerCannon, qrs, dtvu, GenesisX, Malinor, Malli, hp.Shell)
21. Bd2: 0 (Bill Murray)
21. Nh4: 1 (Bill Murray)
21. Be3: 1 (ApocAlypsE007)
+ Show Spoiler [bar graph] +
[image loading]

and just for the sake of thoroughness, here's a bar graph for move 19:
+ Show Spoiler [bar graph] +
[image loading]
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 13 2011 14:14 GMT
#2306
I believe the deadline is over by now.

My reply might take two or three days now.

I will go ahead and send out reminders when I move again.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 13 2011 15:00 GMT
#2307
Here's what we have on the current position. Basically, Black has three moves worth thinking about: + Show Spoiler +
21...c6, 21...c5, and 21...Rc8.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 02:41 GMT
#2308
greggy wrote:
Show nested quote +
Ng5 wrote:
League of Legends, here I come.


I am disappoint


I might also play some WoW this winter.

I will even stream if it ever happens.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 02:45:11
November 15 2011 02:44 GMT
#2309
Okay the chess for noobies didn't happen so far, I'm planning another 24 hour event to make up for all the loss once exams are over.

Unless I go home too early, if I do I'll make it 36 since I won't need to cook for and prepare that much for myself.

Also if you'd like to screw around in some 3v3 or 4v4 in SC II feel free to drop me a PM. Probably won't play more than a game or two each week, and I'm not taking it seriously. Mostly used to troll with random and cheeses or something completely random. I'm a bad player and I don't really look to improve, just having fun. Was around gold in every x vs x league a year ago when I last played.

I'll clean up things now. Might only move tomorrow, but I want to do the cleanup so I won't be a slacker.

Edit: Installing SC 2 in the background. Patching that mofo will take several hours I presume.
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 15 2011 02:50 GMT
#2310
On November 15 2011 11:41 Ng5 wrote:
Show nested quote +
greggy wrote:
Ng5 wrote:
League of Legends, here I come.


I am disappoint


I might also play some WoW this winter.

I will even stream if it ever happens.

I've been in a Skyrim stupor for days... I didn't even make the last vote!

The game is absolutely amazing. I'm just waiting for my wife to divorce me

Hopefully I can find some time to look over the next move without having withdrawals.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 02:53 GMT
#2311
I can give advices about how to get divorced. :p
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 02:55 GMT
#2312
Aha! So it was Skyrim that made people not vote.

I was wondering if it was me and my last two weeks of hiding in stupor. What an arrogance!
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 02:56 GMT
#2313
I wish my birthday was a few days later. I could spend the whole 24 hours with you guys on stream.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 15 2011 03:04 GMT
#2314
On November 15 2011 11:55 Ng5 wrote:
Aha! So it was Skyrim that made people not vote.
Ah, I'd also been wondering why the thread had dried up.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 03:12 GMT
#2315
ApocAlypsE007 wrote:
Unless I'm missing something:
21. Bf4 Rxf3 22. gxf3 Rg8+ 23. Kh1 Bb7 24. Re3 c5 will lead to a possible mating threat and a huge disadvantage to white. I think it is necessary to sacrifice the a3 pawn to gain some momentum and maintaining a solid position for white while trying to trade for the endgame with material advantage.
I will play 21. Be3 as taking the a3 pawn for black is more or less giving up on immediate mating attack.


There's a huge problem there. Even if you don't have the d4 pawn the mating is not there. You have Bg3, if I start pushing pawns you have h4 and get away with the king. The biggest threat even without your center pawn is me pushing down my passers straight away after Rxf3 which could work out, but white can always just Rxe7 back and have a draw anytime. Black doesn't have Bd6, so the only options to save the bishop is Bd8 or Bf8 which both are not too good and losing time.

With d4 there you just stop and pushdown or mating threat right in the boots. It blocks both the pawns and the diagonal and black can't do anything to remove it. If c4, then black just sacked an exchange for nothing, if cxd4 he's losing time and jamming the diagonal delaying any attack for too long.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 03:13 GMT
#2316
I updated things, but I don't remove inactive people now. Since it would be close to ten there's a good chance some of them just couldn't do anything about it.

I would make a snappy joke about the inactivity, but noone would have a chance to get the reference to my life sadly.

Maybe if I'll be a celebrity I can tell all the boring stories.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 03:38 GMT
#2317
Voting starts once again!

Will send out reminders sometimes, just to make sure.
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 15 2011 03:38 GMT
#2318
Okay made my move now.

I was last minute worried about one of the sidelines, only to realize that I disregarded one of the pivotal characteristics of endgames.

We should really get another game rolling, too or just some other community event.

I'm thinking. How about doing a forum-based simultaneous event? Everyone would have their own threads for their own game and I would go over and over one by one as if I was really walking.

Would you be guys up for it sometimes in December? If we do it on forums there's basically no ceiling to the number of players that could join. We could figure out how much time we can give each other and you should probably use algebraic notations as me making small pictures for every move every few seconds would literally delay the event by hours.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-15 14:02:07
November 15 2011 03:51 GMT
#2319
OK, no big surprise: this was one of the three moves we were expecting. Here's the prior analysis.

Our best move is fairly clear here, in my opinion: 22. Re3.
+ Show Spoiler [rationale] +
The only good way to defend our a3 pawn. 22. Bc1 undoes our last move of development and 22. a4 allows 22...Bb4.

Furthermore, 22. Re3 challenges Black's b3 Rook and threatens to put heavy pressure on the e-file once we double Rooks with Re1. Because of this last point, I think it's likely that Black will exchange Rooks here, although I can't rule out 22...Rd3 or 22...Rcb8, either. See the 22. Re3 page for more analysis.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Cloud9157
Profile Joined December 2010
United States2968 Posts
November 15 2011 05:03 GMT
#2320
Re3
"Are you absolutely sure that armor only affects the health portion of a protoss army??? That doesn't sound right to me. source?" -Some idiot
Prev 1 114 115 116 117 118 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 44m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech10
StarCraft: Brood War
BeSt 247
Hyuk 146
910 74
Mong 70
Leta 52
Shinee 49
PianO 40
soO 39
Killer 36
Mind 35
[ Show more ]
Bale 30
Aegong 23
ToSsGirL 18
ZergMaN 15
HiyA 15
sorry 15
League of Legends
JimRising 454
Counter-Strike
ceh9507
shoxiejesuss390
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King227
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1834
Other Games
summit1g8928
olofmeister1046
Happy390
crisheroes245
Sick178
ArmadaUGS111
Livibee103
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick572
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream255
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH148
• LUISG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2292
League of Legends
• Rush1614
• Jankos996
• Stunt563
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
1h 44m
OSC
4h 44m
Stellar Fest
4h 44m
OSC
15h 44m
Stellar Fest
1d 4h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.