• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:15
CEST 14:15
KST 21:15
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8535 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 115

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 113 114 115 116 117 140 Next
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
November 10 2011 14:38 GMT
#2281
bd2
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 10 2011 15:22 GMT
#2282
On November 10 2011 23:22 Mash2 wrote:
Bf4

+ Show Spoiler +
From the analysis that has been posted, this seems like a very strong move for us to play. Connects our rooks and develops our bishop.

From what I've read, the only two prosposed responses from Black are c6 or Reb8 correct? And Re3 looks like a pretty good response to both of these.

Although, and please correct me if I'm wrong, if the moves continue as Bf4 Reb8, Re3 RxR, PxR Rb3, aren't we in position to lose a pawn?
Here's the 21. Bf4 page on the analysis tree. So far I'm the only one who's posted anything on that page, but by all means I'd encourage others to post analysis there, or at any other point along the tree. (The reason that I keep plugging the tree as a place to post analysis, rather than just posting it here in the forum is that your analysis becomes much easier to find later on.) To answer your question:

+ Show Spoiler +
21...c6 is one of the main moves that's been proposed for Black after 21. Bf4, but not the only one. 21...c5 also seems possible; maybe even 21...Rg8 or 21...Rc8.

...Reb8 is a thematic move for Black in general that comes up in several lines after ...Rb3. We did consider the possibility that Black would play it after 21. Bf4, but then I realized that we have the response 22. Bxc7! (Kxc7 RxB+), so at this point, I don't think that Black will play this move or that we need worry about it.

For most Black moves, ...Re3 looks like a pretty good response for us, as you said.

On November 10 2011 23:38 Bill Murray wrote:
bd2
You realize that lets Black capture our pawn at a3, right?
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
November 10 2011 15:27 GMT
#2283
ahhh, i just woke up. i didn't see that bishop
derp
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
Bill Murray
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States9292 Posts
November 10 2011 15:28 GMT
#2284
what about
Nh4
University of Kentucky Basketball #1
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 10 2011 15:40 GMT
#2285
On November 11 2011 00:28 Bill Murray wrote:
what about
Nh4
Hmm, I hadn't considered playing that so soon, but it does seem like an interesting option. I'll add your suggestion to the tree.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 15:52:30
November 10 2011 15:52 GMT
#2286
I gotta ask: it's not a real "tree", is it? Is there a way to go backwards, or to see all of the threads made at once?
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-10 16:16:01
November 10 2011 16:14 GMT
#2287
On November 11 2011 00:52 greggy wrote:
I gotta ask: it's not a real "tree", is it? Is there a way to go backwards, or to see all of the threads made at once?
There are problems with it, I admit. The biggest one is the limitation of four links per post. (I didn't know about that when I made the tree on Quick Topic or I would have chosen a better host.) Ideally, something like this should be totally cross-referenced, but because of the limitation on links, it's not.

There's also no way to see a 'bird's-eye-view' of the tree structure. It's still structured as a tree, though. If you start from whichever move you're interested in (e.g. the current position) you can go through the analysis posted by clicking the child you're interested in at each branch. You can go back if you like by clicking "back" in your browser or by opening each branch you check out in a new window to begin with.

You can also see all the threads at once--just not as a tree. All you have to do is sign up for QuickTopic with the name you use here (or technically any name you like) and start viewing threads. The site tracks every page you've visited, and you can view them all at once by going to the "my topics" page. If you have an account that you're only using to look at the tree, then you'll see all of those threads that you've looked at, and no others. (That's the main way I keep track of it). Occasionally there will be ambiguity when moves in two different lines have the same name (it's actually interesting to see which moves come up the most in different lines), but for the most part it's easy to distinguish.

If I were designing this from the bottom up, I'd do some things differently, but I think it serves its main purpose well, which is to make previous analysis for any given situation easily accessible--if you want to know what people have said about a given position, you know how to find it.

Meanwhile, I've added a page for Bill Murray's suggestion of 21. Nh4. I have to say that I think it's an interesting idea.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
November 10 2011 16:43 GMT
#2288
On November 11 2011 00:28 Bill Murray wrote:
what about
Nh4


+ Show Spoiler +
Doing this would obviously be with the intention of getting our knight to the very appealing f5 square as we sort of planned with our last move correct? The problem I see with this move is that it seems like best case scenario we trade down a bishop and rook with black, if he so chooses, while we also lose our a3 pawn. And it would be black's move.
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 10 2011 17:03 GMT
#2289
On November 11 2011 01:43 Mash2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 00:28 Bill Murray wrote:
what about
Nh4


+ Show Spoiler +
Doing this would obviously be with the intention of getting our knight to the very appealing f5 square as we sort of planned with our last move correct? The problem I see with this move is that it seems like best case scenario we trade down a bishop and rook with black, if he so chooses, while we also lose our a3 pawn. And it would be black's move.
Yes, I agree. I thought Bill's idea was interesting and worth looking at, so I did, but having done so, I think that the cons of such an early play outweigh the pros by quite a bit. It's a good move, but it's not the time for it yet, imo. My analysis is posted here.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
November 10 2011 17:30 GMT
#2290
On November 09 2011 15:21 mastergriggy wrote:


Show nested quote +
PS- Blazinghand, why are you so set on offering a draw when there's still play in the position?


I'm curious too lol


Oh I just thought things were looking fairly drawish.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
LaXerCannon
Profile Joined October 2008
Canada558 Posts
November 10 2011 18:24 GMT
#2291
On November 11 2011 02:30 Blazinghand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 09 2011 15:21 mastergriggy wrote:


PS- Blazinghand, why are you so set on offering a draw when there's still play in the position?


I'm curious too lol


Oh I just thought things were looking fairly drawish.


As long as we continue playing safe, it will be a draw...

Bf4
Just keep swimming
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 10 2011 18:30 GMT
#2292
On November 11 2011 03:24 LaXerCannon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 02:30 Blazinghand wrote:
On November 09 2011 15:21 mastergriggy wrote:


PS- Blazinghand, why are you so set on offering a draw when there's still play in the position?


I'm curious too lol


Oh I just thought things were looking fairly drawish.


As long as we continue playing safe, it will be a draw...

Bf4
I disagree. I think that as long as we continue playing safe, we have good prospects of slowly untangling our pieces, wriggling out of Black's pressure and reducing to a winning endgame.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 10 2011 20:03 GMT
#2293
I've spent long enough looking at the position by now to be pretty sure that there's only one move that I like here.

Vote: 21. Bf4
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 10 2011 20:30 GMT
#2294
On November 11 2011 03:30 qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 11 2011 03:24 LaXerCannon wrote:
On November 11 2011 02:30 Blazinghand wrote:
On November 09 2011 15:21 mastergriggy wrote:


PS- Blazinghand, why are you so set on offering a draw when there's still play in the position?


I'm curious too lol


Oh I just thought things were looking fairly drawish.


As long as we continue playing safe, it will be a draw...

Bf4
I disagree. I think that as long as we continue playing safe, we have good prospects of slowly untangling our pieces, wriggling out of Black's pressure and reducing to a winning endgame.
I just want to say one thing about "drawishness". I've spent a lot of time in the last week on analyzing our game, and it's showed me one thing: there's a lot more to a game of chess than one sees on the surface. It's happened many times that I've thought I knew how to assess a given position until I found a new move or someone showed me one and I had to start thinking again--so many times that I realized that I, for one, barely know a thing about the game.

I don't mean that analyzing is a waste of time because you're bound to miss something anyway, or that luck determines who wins a game. On the contrary, the more time you spend moving the pieces around the board, the more you learn about it. You do come to understand more about the position. You see the various moves that keep cropping up, and some of the resources for both sides. You just don't see it all.

What I'm trying to say is, I know I said that I think we have good prospects of winning here, but that's not really the main reason that I wouldn't call the position drawish. Honestly, my opinion of our prospects doesn't mean all that much. Whatever I see in the position at this point is only a small fraction of what's actually there. My assessment could be dead wrong because of factors that I haven't even thought about.

That's why I wouldn't call the position drawish.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
November 10 2011 22:35 GMT
#2295
+ Show Spoiler +
Not sure how I feel about 21. Bf4 Rxa3 22. Rxa3 Bxa3 23. Rxe8 Kxe8 24. Bxc7 Bb4 and black has the Bishop pair but white has two pawns. I want to say it's good for white, but the Bishops are gonna get very annoying very quickly.

21...Bxa3 22. Rxe8 Kxe8 23. Bxc7 is an interesting dynamic. On one hand, black has a rook which is much better than whites and probably can pick off a pawn if white plays wrong. On the other hand, if Black moves his a6 Bishop I don't think he can stop the pawn without giving up material. Thankfully the Bishop is doing a lot on a6 so there really isn't a reason for Black to move his Bishop.
Write your own song!
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
November 11 2011 02:14 GMT
#2296
Vote 12.Bf4
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
November 11 2011 03:08 GMT
#2297
21. Bf4

+ Show Spoiler +
best move
133 221 333 123 111
Malinor
Profile Joined November 2008
Germany4758 Posts
November 11 2011 06:24 GMT
#2298
Ok since I don't have much time to read anything this time, 21.Bf4 looks good enough for me. + Show Spoiler +
For what it is worth, I just wondered if 21.Re3 might be worth consideration. At least I don't find anything immediately wrong with the move, but it would probably change the lay-out of our king-side pawns and pushes the king in the middle for defensive purposes very soon. So I don't really know. (21.Re3 Rxe3 22.fxe and then Kf2 sometime in the future. 22.Be3 would make the bishop retty immobile, although it surely is no MVP on c1 either. In any case, it would keep black's dark-squared bishop pretty immobile.) Just some food for thought.


I will be on vacation for the next 10days, so I don't know if I am able to vote on the next move. But definitely not losing interest, just to let you know.
"Withstand. Suffer. Live as you must now live. There will, one day, be answer to this." ||| "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come."
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
November 11 2011 07:34 GMT
#2299
qrs wrote:
Show nested quote +
qrs wrote:
LaXerCannon wrote:
Blazinghand wrote:
mastergriggy wrote:


PS- Blazinghand, why are you so set on offering a draw when there's still play in the position?


I'm curious too lol


Oh I just thought things were looking fairly drawish.


As long as we continue playing safe, it will be a draw...

Bf4
I disagree. I think that as long as we continue playing safe, we have good prospects of slowly untangling our pieces, wriggling out of Black's pressure and reducing to a winning endgame.
I just want to say one thing about "drawishness". I've spent a lot of time in the last week on analyzing our game, and it's showed me one thing: there's a lot more to a game of chess than one sees on the surface. It's happened many times that I've thought I knew how to assess a given position until I found a new move or someone showed me one and I had to start thinking again--so many times that I realized that I, for one, barely know a thing about the game.

I don't mean that analyzing is a waste of time because you're bound to miss something anyway, or that luck determines who wins a game. On the contrary, the more time you spend moving the pieces around the board, the more you learn about it. You do come to understand more about the position. You see the various moves that keep cropping up, and some of the resources for both sides. You just don't see it all.

What I'm trying to say is, I know I said that I think we have good prospects of winning here, but that's not really the main reason that I wouldn't call the position drawish. Honestly, my opinion of our prospects doesn't mean all that much. Whatever I see in the position at this point is only a small fraction of what's actually there. My assessment could be dead wrong because of factors that I haven't even thought about.

That's why I wouldn't call the position drawish.


Thou hath speaketh wisdom.
ApocAlypsE007
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Israel1007 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-11 14:15:13
November 11 2011 14:09 GMT
#2300
Unless I'm missing something:
21. Bf4 Rxf3 22. gxf3 Rg8+ 23. Kh1 Bb7 24. Re3 c5 will lead to a possible mating threat and a huge disadvantage to white. I think it is necessary to sacrifice the a3 pawn to gain some momentum and maintaining a solid position for white while trying to trade for the endgame with material advantage.
I will play 21. Be3 as taking the a3 pawn for black is more or less giving up on immediate mating attack.
I'm playing the game, the one that will take me to my end, i'm waiting for the rain, TO WASH-- WHO I AM!!!
Prev 1 113 114 115 116 117 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 45m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko430
ProTech120
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 37085
firebathero 1453
Bisu 1428
Horang2 917
Hyuk 428
BeSt 373
Mini 263
EffOrt 253
Larva 235
Light 229
[ Show more ]
Soma 207
ZerO 110
Mong 94
Barracks 93
Rush 92
Leta 90
Pusan 65
Snow 63
Shinee 40
ToSsGirL 37
JYJ 36
NaDa 31
Mind 30
Aegong 28
Sexy 22
Bale 21
zelot 20
sorry 19
Sacsri 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 15
JulyZerg 12
Noble 11
Icarus 6
Terrorterran 4
Dota 2
Gorgc492
XaKoH 386
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1267
Khaldor1054
Other Games
gofns38377
singsing2256
olofmeister1342
B2W.Neo334
Livibee205
hiko86
Mew2King83
ArmadaUGS51
ZerO(Twitch)8
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream255
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH168
• StrangeGG 28
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix11
• HerbMon 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
45m
OSC
9h 45m
CranKy Ducklings
21h 45m
Online Event
22h 45m
FEL
1d 3h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.