• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:01
CEST 14:01
KST 21:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Where can I find Flash replays that work? a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9018 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 120

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 118 119 120 121 122 140 Next
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
November 18 2011 18:06 GMT
#2381
Rc1

+ Show Spoiler +
We're not gonna win by trading off into a Bishop pair for black, which is for the most part what Bxc7 does. I don't think it's best to get greedy after pawns, though tactically I see nothing wrong but positionally I'm not a fan. Nd2 looks interesting, but not to the point where I feel good about black's b rank dominance.
Write your own song!
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
November 18 2011 18:26 GMT
#2382
What? I think it's a baller idea to get greedy after pawns! More pawns, more win. If we trade dark bishops and end up an addition pawn, that develops our advantage WHILE trading material. Sounds baller to me.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
MaV_gGSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada1345 Posts
November 18 2011 18:27 GMT
#2383
Awesome :D Chess is amazing, it's like a slower version of sc2 :D
Life's good :D
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 18 2011 19:47 GMT
#2384
On November 19 2011 03:26 Blazinghand wrote:
What? I think it's a baller idea to get greedy after pawns! More pawns, more win. If we trade dark bishops and end up an addition pawn, that develops our advantage WHILE trading material. Sounds baller to me.
Bxc7 is a good safety move to have--it's the move I'll vote for if there's nothing clearly better when we reach the deadline--but don't go into it thinking that it will give us more pawns. Here's the line it most likely leads to: we actually lose one of our two extra pawns, but we get to keep the remaining one. We're basically trading two bad pawns for one good one (and exchanging a bunch more material).

Again, 23. Bxc7 is all right, and I won't feel bad if we end up playing it, but it's not necessarily our best shot at playing for a win. The other moves worth considering, IMO, are the one mastergriggy voted for and the one he mentioned in his spoiler. Here's the current position on the analysis tree, which is where I'm putting my analysis, in case you want to see it and/or add to it.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
November 18 2011 19:53 GMT
#2385
Hm. OK so how does this look:

23. Bxc7 Rb1+
24. Rxb1 Rxb1+
25. Ne1

If he goes for 25 ... Kxc7 we can get our bishop back with Rxe7

I feel like there must be some massive hole in this line if it hasn't been considered yet. What do you guys think.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
November 18 2011 20:01 GMT
#2386
On November 19 2011 04:53 Blazinghand wrote:
Hm. OK so how does this look:

23. Bxc7 Rb1+
24. Rxb1 Rxb1+
25. Ne1

If he goes for 25 ... Kxc7 we can get our bishop back with Rxe7

I feel like there must be some massive hole in this line if it hasn't been considered yet. What do you guys think.


+ Show Spoiler +
I can't find a hole in that line either, but I do have that same feeling.
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
November 18 2011 20:08 GMT
#2387
On November 19 2011 05:01 Mash2 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 04:53 Blazinghand wrote:
Hm. OK so how does this look:

23. Bxc7 Rb1+
24. Rxb1 Rxb1+
25. Ne1

If he goes for 25 ... Kxc7 we can get our bishop back with Rxe7

I feel like there must be some massive hole in this line if it hasn't been considered yet. What do you guys think.


+ Show Spoiler +
I can't find a hole in that line either, but I do have that same feeling.


+ Show Spoiler +
It might be related to the fact that we pin our own knight?
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
Czar_Vexler
Profile Joined April 2010
United States7 Posts
November 18 2011 20:22 GMT
#2388
+ Show Spoiler +

After 23. Bxc7 I see:
23...Rb1+
24. Rxb1 Rxb1+
25. Ne1 Bxa3 (threat of both Bb4 and Kxc7)
26. Bg3 Bb4
27. f3 Bd2 -+ (the rook is out of squares on the e file as far as I can tell)
Mash2
Profile Joined February 2011
United States132 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-18 20:54:20
November 18 2011 20:50 GMT
#2389
On November 19 2011 05:08 Blazinghand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 19 2011 05:01 Mash2 wrote:
On November 19 2011 04:53 Blazinghand wrote:
Hm. OK so how does this look:

23. Bxc7 Rb1+
24. Rxb1 Rxb1+
25. Ne1

If he goes for 25 ... Kxc7 we can get our bishop back with Rxe7

I feel like there must be some massive hole in this line if it hasn't been considered yet. What do you guys think.


+ Show Spoiler +
I can't find a hole in that line either, but I do have that same feeling.


+ Show Spoiler +
It might be related to the fact that we pin our own knight?


+ Show Spoiler +
That's kind of what I was thinking. So it would restrict our Rook's movement a bit, as he's covering the knight, until we could relieve the pressure on our king by moving one of those last 3 file pawns up. My question is, can we do this before he forces us to move that Rook off that file by using his F-file pawn in combination with the remaining light square bishop, king, and possibly dark-squared bishop if we don't trade those off?


Edit: Ah, sorry Czar_Vexler, didn't mean to just completely disregard your post. I see that my question is indeed answered in your line with the answer being a resounding no.
"Quite often the flood of history is undammed or diverted by the character and actions of one man." - Pat Frank, "Alas, Babylon"
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 18 2011 21:05 GMT
#2390
Yes, sorry for linking only to the last page in the line: the main line that you've just discussed is addressed here. Pretty much what Czar_Vexler said, but he added the nuance with + Show Spoiler +
Bg3 and f3
which I hadn't considered.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
ApocAlypsE007
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Israel1007 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-18 23:39:36
November 18 2011 23:33 GMT
#2391
23. Bxc7 Rb1+
(23... Kxc7 24. Rxe7+ Kd8 25. Rae1)
24. Rxb1 Rxb1+
25. Ne1
Nothing new here I guess.
At some point the white king will have to get out as black's king's position is much better. With a later Bb6 can block black's rook lane. Knight at e1 is not that good, I guess f3 to g4 and h4 to follow is needed.
I'm playing the game, the one that will take me to my end, i'm waiting for the rain, TO WASH-- WHO I AM!!!
TruthIsCold
Profile Joined November 2011
51 Posts
November 19 2011 01:03 GMT
#2392
Hi, I'd like to be added to the roster please.

And I vote Rc1
"Be formed. Shaped. Like rock. If you put rock into a cup, it doesn't become the cup. Put it into a teapot, it doesn't become the teapot. Rocks can't flow, creep, drip, or crash. Be rock my friend."
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-19 07:45:09
November 19 2011 07:44 GMT
#2393
jdseemoreglass wrote:
Show nested quote +
Ng5 wrote:
wrote:
wrote:
League of Legends, here I come.


I am disappoint


I might also play some WoW this winter.

I will even stream if it ever happens.

I've been in a Skyrim stupor for days... I didn't even make the last vote!

The game is absolutely amazing. I'm just waiting for my wife to divorce me

Hopefully I can find some time to look over the next move without having withdrawals.


Actually I fired up Dragon Age Origins yesterday after spending a whole night in my office. Kind of fun, but it turned too easy even on hard and I'm not planning to turn it nightmare.

Just wanna get myself crowned queen and play it through legitimately with all the DLC.

Plus it's kinda fun. Just not really thrilling hardship-wise.

I'm eying a full pack download of Majesty with all the expansions. It's just 20 bucks on Amazon. I will get back to work soon again anyway, just want something mind-numbing. Maybe it'll be Mass Effect.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 19 2011 23:34 GMT
#2394
Voting for 23. Nd2, though I could be swayed to one of the other two candidates.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
SausageLinks
Profile Joined December 2010
United States93 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-20 04:31:45
November 20 2011 04:15 GMT
#2395
Voting for 23. Nd2

+ Show Spoiler +
not 23. Rc1 or else 23. ... Bc4 comes next, with the a3 pawn falling shortly thereafter.
the continuation for 23. Bxc7 that was given is deviated with 25. ... Bxa3 26. Bg3 Bb4 27. f3 Bd2 and our position looks really bad from there.
i like 23. Nd2 since it basically forces the Rook on b3 into action. it also helps cover the b1 square. 23. ...R3b5 can be covered with 24. Re1. theory behind Nf1 afterwards looks interesting.
n00b never die
TruthIsCold
Profile Joined November 2011
51 Posts
November 20 2011 04:35 GMT
#2396
What is the point of Nd2? We just moved away from there, we are throwing away a move for no reason. Black can just trade rooks and it's like he gets a free tempo for nothing.

If we play Rc1, and black plays Bc4, THEN Nd2 becomes a strong move. So strong, that I would say Bc4 is incorrect there.
"Be formed. Shaped. Like rock. If you put rock into a cup, it doesn't become the cup. Put it into a teapot, it doesn't become the teapot. Rocks can't flow, creep, drip, or crash. Be rock my friend."
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 20 2011 05:15 GMT
#2397
On November 20 2011 13:15 SausageLinks wrote:
Voting for 23. Nd2

+ Show Spoiler +
not 23. Rc1 or else 23. ... Bc4 comes next, with the a3 pawn falling shortly thereafter.
the continuation for 23. Bxc7 that was given is deviated with 25. ... Bxa3 26. Bg3 Bb4 27. f3 Bd2 and our position looks really bad from there.
i like 23. Nd2 since it basically forces the Rook on b3 into action. it also helps cover the b1 square. 23. ...R3b5 can be covered with 24. Re1. theory behind Nf1 afterwards looks interesting.
I agree with your reasoning for Nd2, but your argument against Rc1 is flawed, I believe + Show Spoiler +
23. Rc1 Bc4 24. Nd2, as TruthIsCold says below you.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 20 2011 05:23 GMT
#2398
On November 20 2011 13:35 TruthIsCold wrote:
What is the point of Nd2? We just moved away from there, we are throwing away a move for no reason. Black can just trade rooks and it's like he gets a free tempo for nothing.

If we play Rc1, and black plays Bc4, THEN Nd2 becomes a strong move. So strong, that I would say Bc4 is incorrect there.
Yes, yes, Black won't play Bc4 if we play Rc1. But that doesn't mean that Nd2 is not strong now. "We just moved away" is irrelevant: we needed to move away to let our Bishop out. Now the Bishop is out, and Nd2 becomes a good space for our Knight again.
+ Show Spoiler +
Yes, Black can trade Rooks, and probably will. We take back with the f-pawn. We haven't given him a free tempo at all. The Knight is much more useful on d2 then on f3 in this situation:

a) It prevents Black from putting a Rook on b3 or b1. That makes it harder for him to do something useful with his b-Rook.
b) It pushes him into trading Rooks on our terms (i.e. on e3). That allows us to get the f-pawn to e3, which does two things:
--1) It gives us two central pawns to contest Black's two (in the only area where he had a pawn majority)
--2) It eliminates the possibility of a back-rank mate (letting our Rook go to c3, for instance) and gives our King a way to join the fight.
Words will only take us so far, though. I've been posting all my analysis on the tree. If you have anything to add comment on or disagree with, I'd love it if you posted there.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
November 20 2011 17:37 GMT
#2399
Here, in a nutshell, is why I prefer 23. Nd2 to 23. Rc1:
Position following 23. Rc1
Similar position following 23. Nd2
+ Show Spoiler [words] +
I definitely do want to play Rc1, to get our Rook into a more active position. I just don't want Black to have the response ...Rb1 available. That's why I think it's best to begin with 23. Nd2.

As for the b-rank dominance that mastergriggy mentioned, I think that with two of the most important squares on the b-file (b1 and b3) closed to Black, we have much less to worry about. We could even challenge his Rook on the b-file directly with Rb1, although that's not necessarily our best option. In fact, as far as I can see, 23. Nd2 does more to reduce Black's control of the b-file than 23. Rc1, not less.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-11-20 20:03:28
November 20 2011 19:50 GMT
#2400
Close decision; not much voting yet. Deadline's officially tonight.

Move 23 votes

+ Show Spoiler [votes] +
23. Bxc7: 2 (chesshaha, ApocAlypsE007)
23. Rc1: 2 (mastergriggy, TruthisCold)
23. Nd2: 2 (qrs, SausageLinks)
+ Show Spoiler [bar graph] +
[image loading]

also, for completeness' sake:
Move 22 votes (final)

+ Show Spoiler [votes] +
22. Re3: 19 (qrs, Cloud 9157, jdseemoreglass, Archers_bane, Raysalis, chesshaha, SheaR619, ffreakk, hp.Shell, aphorism, ApocAlypsE007, dtvu, Mash2, mastergriggy, GenesisX, Bill Murray, wizard944, Malli, itsjustatank)
22. a4: 1 (LaXerCannon)
Abstain: 1 (Blazinghand)
+ Show Spoiler [bar graph] +
[image loading]
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
Prev 1 118 119 120 121 122 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
11:00
2026 Week 25
WardiTV397
Rex75
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko370
ProTech130
Rex 75
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 32902
Hyuk 1200
Jaedong 928
actioN 572
Soma 466
Horang2 385
Soulkey 338
BeSt 320
Larva 296
Mini 268
[ Show more ]
EffOrt 259
Light 218
910 214
Stork 209
Last 176
Snow 144
Rush 138
ggaemo 103
Pusan 91
ZerO 73
Mind 49
Killer 41
Mong 38
Creator 35
Shinee 33
hero 29
Bale 27
Sharp 26
sorry 26
Free 25
yabsab 16
HiyA 12
Noble 12
Sacsri 9
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7900
Dendi436
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1551
markeloff106
kRYSTAL_54
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes2808
Khaldor1009
Other Games
gofns32021
singsing1621
B2W.Neo319
XBOCT300
DeMusliM276
Pyrionflax263
byalli80
Mew2King66
ArmadaUGS43
ZerO(Twitch)7
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream169
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 99
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH325
• StrangeGG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1409
Other Games
• WagamamaTV173
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
59m
The PondCast
21h 59m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d
OSC
1d 11h
Stellar Fest
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
3 days
AI Arena Tournament
3 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.