• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:19
CEST 16:19
KST 23:19
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War505.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War Mineral Boosting (2 workers/patch) Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7853 users

Ultra Street Fighter IV - Page 419

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 417 418 419 420 421 668 Next
Check out the new Street Fighter V Thread
Ophe
Profile Joined July 2012
Sweden388 Posts
March 27 2014 01:01 GMT
#8361
How did you guys pick your main? Did you fall in love with a character or did you just say 'fuck it, I'm gonna play this one'? I've been playing for over 6 months now and I haven't been able to pick a main yet. I'm down to Ryu, Sagat, Guile, Balrog, Fei Long and maybe Chun-Li. I'm rotating between all of them at the moment but I've been stuck around 2k pp for a while now and I imagine it'd be easier to progress if I played one character but I just can't fucking pick one.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
March 27 2014 01:10 GMT
#8362
On March 27 2014 10:01 Ophe wrote:
How did you guys pick your main? Did you fall in love with a character or did you just say 'fuck it, I'm gonna play this one'? I've been playing for over 6 months now and I haven't been able to pick a main yet. I'm down to Ryu, Sagat, Guile, Balrog, Fei Long and maybe Chun-Li. I'm rotating between all of them at the moment but I've been stuck around 2k pp for a while now and I imagine it'd be easier to progress if I played one character but I just can't fucking pick one.


I've played Chun in every SF until now, so I naturally started with her. At some point, I didn't feel like she was competitive enough anymore, and I wanted an easy character that I wouldn't have to study with as much, since SF4 isn't my main game. So I picked Sakura!

For the most part though, all of my character choices come down to design and playstyle. I like playing difficult, technical characters, because it feels more rewarding when I win. You just need to figure out what you expect from the gameplay experience: do you want to improve your fundamentals? Do you want to annoy people online? Do you want to throw a lot of fireballs? Once you know what you want, your main will come to you.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
2WeaK
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada550 Posts
March 27 2014 01:45 GMT
#8363
On March 27 2014 10:01 Ophe wrote:
How did you guys pick your main? Did you fall in love with a character or did you just say 'fuck it, I'm gonna play this one'? I've been playing for over 6 months now and I haven't been able to pick a main yet. I'm down to Ryu, Sagat, Guile, Balrog, Fei Long and maybe Chun-Li. I'm rotating between all of them at the moment but I've been stuck around 2k pp for a while now and I imagine it'd be easier to progress if I played one character but I just can't fucking pick one.


Saw Gootecks play Rose, decided to try her because I didn't want to play Ryu... Yeah, that's pretty much it.

I've switched to Ryu and Yun more though. I hate picking top tier, so I picked up Yun after 2012 came out.
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-27 01:46:05
March 27 2014 01:45 GMT
#8364
I just usually pick either the fastest character, or the one that requires the most tech skill. Often times, they're both the same character.

Fox in Melee, Taki in Soul Calibur, C. Viper and Gen in SF4 -- all feel incredibly rewarding when you play them well.
TL+ Member
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
March 27 2014 04:53 GMT
#8365
On March 27 2014 10:01 Ophe wrote:
How did you guys pick your main?

I'm currently playing three characters (Chun-Li, Evil Ryu and Juri) but I don't really have a main at the moment.
I started playing Chun after seeing an EPIC Chun-Viper match. Juri was something that I picked randomly when I started playing this game. And at some points, everyone in this thread was playing Evil Ryu
EZ4ENCE
ain
Profile Joined July 2010
Germany786 Posts
March 27 2014 08:42 GMT
#8366
On March 27 2014 10:01 Ophe wrote:
How did you guys pick your main? Did you fall in love with a character or did you just say 'fuck it, I'm gonna play this one'? I've been playing for over 6 months now and I haven't been able to pick a main yet. I'm down to Ryu, Sagat, Guile, Balrog, Fei Long and maybe Chun-Li. I'm rotating between all of them at the moment but I've been stuck around 2k pp for a while now and I imagine it'd be easier to progress if I played one character but I just can't fucking pick one.


I had a lot of character identity issues.

I loved El Fuerte so I started out with him. To this day Flying Giga Buster is still my favourite move.
Then I realised he wasn't teaching me any fundamentals. I loved Gen when i dabbled in alpha so I picked him next. It was the first character I put real effort into.
After that I mained Gouken a little for some reason, which I thoroughly regret. I'm still trying to make him work sometimes.

When AE hit PC I wanted to try a solid character, as the ones I played were deemed low tier at that point. I picked Balrog because I like how he can both rush down and turtle.
Lastly, I switched to Dhalsim whom I haven't had the guts to play before and have stuck with him since. I picked him mostly because I enjoy zoning and leading my opponent into traps.



And yeah, sometimes you just have to force yourself to stick to one character if you want to get better. Until you are really confident with a character, constantly switching isn't going to help you in any way.
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
March 27 2014 09:39 GMT
#8367
I started with Ryu because he has always been my character when I used to play with friends back in SF2. After awhile I felt like Sagat fitted better with my playstyle so he's my main now. I like characters where good fundamentals gives you the edge and I think Sagat is all about that. Vortex characters can suck my dick.
TheAntZ
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Israel6248 Posts
March 27 2014 12:55 GMT
#8368
Anyone in the SEA region feel like playing with a complete noob? So far I only know how to ryu (dont know any of the basics really) and I dont have much time to play, but send me a message if you feel like it!
43084 | Honeybadger: "So july, you're in the GSL finals. How do you feel?!" ~ July: "HUNGRY."
St3MoR
Profile Joined November 2002
Spain3256 Posts
March 27 2014 13:37 GMT
#8369
I started in Super with Guile because he was my favourite in SF2ST, so i just stuck with him while learning. then AE came and i realized i wasnt exploring just too much about the game due to the character itself, so i started picking chars that would help me to learn another areas, i started sakura, cody, gen, etc. Months later when v2012 came out i had already tried at least 6 or 7 chars and i knew quite a lot more about the game. At this point and with my style and strong/weak points better defined, of the characters i really liked i chose the one that i thought would suit me best. Tried Claw. Bingo.
Prophet in TL of the Makoto0124 ways
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
March 27 2014 13:55 GMT
#8370
I just picked Makoto because she was the first character that looked cool when I played in Arcade mode. ^^

By the way, have you seen this video ? I'm so scared and exited at the same time. So much potential in the Viper changes.

" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
March 27 2014 15:02 GMT
#8371
On March 27 2014 22:55 Noocta wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I just picked Makoto because she was the first character that looked cool when I played in Arcade mode. ^^

By the way, have you seen this video ? I'm so scared and exited at the same time. So much potential in the Viper changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOrlT0ijCA

So much damage o.o

When I first picked up Street Fighter a friend of mine told me that you can't do normal combos into ultra except in special cases such as counterhits and whatever. How come viper does short into ultra in that video? I can't see anything special about it unless I'm missing something. Can some characters just combo into ultra straight up? I'm still not very knowledgable about SF mechanics so bear with me
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
March 27 2014 15:08 GMT
#8372
Isn't most characters able to combo into Ultra from j.HK?
EZ4ENCE
2WeaK
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Canada550 Posts
March 27 2014 15:20 GMT
#8373
On March 28 2014 00:02 kuresuti wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2014 22:55 Noocta wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I just picked Makoto because she was the first character that looked cool when I played in Arcade mode. ^^

By the way, have you seen this video ? I'm so scared and exited at the same time. So much potential in the Viper changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOrlT0ijCA

So much damage o.o

When I first picked up Street Fighter a friend of mine told me that you can't do normal combos into ultra except in special cases such as counterhits and whatever. How come viper does short into ultra in that video? I can't see anything special about it unless I'm missing something. Can some characters just combo into ultra straight up? I'm still not very knowledgable about SF mechanics so bear with me


Super jump cancel. Her short can be cancelled by a super jump, however you're still able to cast special moves during your pre-jump frames.
kuresuti
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
1393 Posts
March 27 2014 15:25 GMT
#8374
On March 28 2014 00:20 2WeaK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2014 00:02 kuresuti wrote:
On March 27 2014 22:55 Noocta wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I just picked Makoto because she was the first character that looked cool when I played in Arcade mode. ^^

By the way, have you seen this video ? I'm so scared and exited at the same time. So much potential in the Viper changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOrlT0ijCA

So much damage o.o

When I first picked up Street Fighter a friend of mine told me that you can't do normal combos into ultra except in special cases such as counterhits and whatever. How come viper does short into ultra in that video? I can't see anything special about it unless I'm missing something. Can some characters just combo into ultra straight up? I'm still not very knowledgable about SF mechanics so bear with me


Super jump cancel. Her short can be cancelled by a super jump, however you're still able to cast special moves during your pre-jump frames.

Oh wow I can't even see it happening, must be super difficult to do consistently.
Duka08
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
3391 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-27 15:45:03
March 27 2014 15:39 GMT
#8375
On March 28 2014 00:25 kuresuti wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2014 00:20 2WeaK wrote:
On March 28 2014 00:02 kuresuti wrote:
On March 27 2014 22:55 Noocta wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I just picked Makoto because she was the first character that looked cool when I played in Arcade mode. ^^

By the way, have you seen this video ? I'm so scared and exited at the same time. So much potential in the Viper changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOrlT0ijCA

So much damage o.o

When I first picked up Street Fighter a friend of mine told me that you can't do normal combos into ultra except in special cases such as counterhits and whatever. How come viper does short into ultra in that video? I can't see anything special about it unless I'm missing something. Can some characters just combo into ultra straight up? I'm still not very knowledgable about SF mechanics so bear with me


Super jump cancel. Her short can be cancelled by a super jump, however you're still able to cast special moves during your pre-jump frames.

Oh wow I can't even see it happening, must be super difficult to do consistently.

When I do it, I tiger knee it, i.e. you do the normal and then input 2362369+PPP very quickly. The 9 at the end inputs the super jump (since you've pressed down recently in the ultra motion) and then it's immediately cancelled into ultra. I'm still very inconsistent, but I think that's one of the easier ways to do it.

Also I thought Viper was getting neutered in Ultra, so I put less effort into picking her up seriously. That video swag might change my mind though lol. Can any Vipers go over the most recent changes and what's the most important, both buffs and nerfs??
Ophe
Profile Joined July 2012
Sweden388 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-27 18:00:14
March 27 2014 17:42 GMT
#8376
I asked myself a simple question: If I could chip someone to death, 100-0 with a fireball, would I? And the answer is yes, I'd chip the fuck out of them. So Sagat. There. For here on I'm a Sagat main. Yey.
2stra
Profile Joined March 2011
Netherlands928 Posts
March 27 2014 21:30 GMT
#8377
I never knew how to do special moves when I was little until I found out how to psycho crusher. From that moment on I did back to back psycho crushers in order to slay my brother and stay on the machine til someone who actually knew how to play kicked my ass.

I tried to play Dhalsim for a while but he just makes me sad, and in the end I always come back to Dictator.
Noocta
Profile Joined June 2010
France12578 Posts
March 27 2014 21:59 GMT
#8378
On March 28 2014 00:39 Duka08 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 28 2014 00:25 kuresuti wrote:
On March 28 2014 00:20 2WeaK wrote:
On March 28 2014 00:02 kuresuti wrote:
On March 27 2014 22:55 Noocta wrote:+ Show Spoiler +

I just picked Makoto because she was the first character that looked cool when I played in Arcade mode. ^^

By the way, have you seen this video ? I'm so scared and exited at the same time. So much potential in the Viper changes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOrlT0ijCA

So much damage o.o

When I first picked up Street Fighter a friend of mine told me that you can't do normal combos into ultra except in special cases such as counterhits and whatever. How come viper does short into ultra in that video? I can't see anything special about it unless I'm missing something. Can some characters just combo into ultra straight up? I'm still not very knowledgable about SF mechanics so bear with me


Super jump cancel. Her short can be cancelled by a super jump, however you're still able to cast special moves during your pre-jump frames.

Oh wow I can't even see it happening, must be super difficult to do consistently.

When I do it, I tiger knee it, i.e. you do the normal and then input 2362369+PPP very quickly. The 9 at the end inputs the super jump (since you've pressed down recently in the ultra motion) and then it's immediately cancelled into ultra. I'm still very inconsistent, but I think that's one of the easier ways to do it.

Also I thought Viper was getting neutered in Ultra, so I put less effort into picking her up seriously. That video swag might change my mind though lol. Can any Vipers go over the most recent changes and what's the most important, both buffs and nerfs??


Close standing hard punch: Damage increased (90->100)
Far stand hard kick: Hurtbox around foot slightly decreased
Crouching middle kick: Hitbox at foot extended
EX/Red/Normal Focus attacks: Start up time has been reduced (3F reduction on all)
Light Thunder Knuckle: Hitbox extended at the end of her hand
Medium Thunder Knuckle: Hit advantage increased when focus cancelled (to 4F)
Heavy Thunder Knuckle: Feint recovery increased (6F->7F)
Emergency Combination: Damage increased (300->350)
Burstime: Smoke effect during Ultra decreased ( < WTF ? )
Burning Dance: Attack starts up faster (10F->9F)
Burning Dance: Height restriction on attack reduced
" I'm not gonna fight you. I'm gonna kick your ass ! "
Manifesto7
Profile Blog Joined November 2002
Osaka27178 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-03-27 22:46:37
March 27 2014 22:46 GMT
#8379
Played for a few hours at the Avion arcade, in Osaka, yesterday. Kept getting linked up with a Balrog from the other side of town and he took all my quarters (ok, 100yen coins, but in my mind it is always going to be quarters). Super fun though.
ModeratorGodfather
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12260 Posts
March 28 2014 00:04 GMT
#8380
On March 28 2014 07:46 Manifesto7 wrote:
Played for a few hours at the Avion arcade, in Osaka, yesterday. Kept getting linked up with a Balrog from the other side of town and he took all my quarters (ok, 100yen coins, but in my mind it is always going to be quarters). Super fun though.


Do you actually play regularly Mani?
Moderator
Prev 1 417 418 419 420 421 668 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
21:00
ONSYDE Invitational
TaKeTV 365
TKL 243
CranKy Ducklings152
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Serral 1156
Lowko540
TKL 243
ProTech124
Rex 124
MindelVK 23
EmSc Tv 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 57727
Free 1776
Horang2 321
firebathero 243
Zeus 188
Last 110
Hyun 80
ToSsGirL 77
910 71
Trap 60
[ Show more ]
soO 32
Rock 21
Bishop 21
Aegong 18
scan(afreeca) 16
Yoon 14
Noble 13
Sacsri 9
Icarus 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7643
Dendi937
XaKoH 425
420jenkins77
canceldota51
Counter-Strike
fl0m2694
byalli670
Other Games
singsing2264
Mlord485
Beastyqt377
KnowMe162
Liquid`VortiX104
DeMusliM102
QueenE74
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV225
StarCraft 2
EmSc Tv 12
EmSc2Tv 12
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP26
• StrangeGG 24
• Dystopia_ 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• Michael_bg 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2830
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1491
Upcoming Events
AI Arena Tournament
2h 41m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4h 41m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19h 41m
Patches Events
1d
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 4h
OSC
1d 8h
OSC
1d 21h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.