• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:49
CEST 02:49
KST 09:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8061 users

Rift: Planes of Telara - Page 35

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 42 Next All
blackone
Profile Joined November 2010
Germany1314 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-10 23:06:42
May 10 2011 23:06 GMT
#681
On May 11 2011 06:33 Maliris wrote:
So was RIFT a massive fail? thinking of trying it but seems a lot of posters saying they've stopped playing after about 1-2month when it got boring, maybe just a vocal minority? if its not good then I won't buy it

thoughts?


I wouldn't give to much about that. There's ton of people (I am one of them) who used to love the shit out of WoW, have left it for some or another reason and are now constantly looking for an MMO that's as good as WoW was when it was new (for them). And most of them are going to be disappointed by every new MMO. So every new one gets a ton of ex-wow-players subscriptions in the beginning, and some of them aren't staying.
Just try the game out with the new 7 day trial thingy, at least that's what I'm going to do now.
Destro
Profile Joined September 2009
Netherlands1206 Posts
May 10 2011 23:38 GMT
#682
I played this. Re-affirmed my position that hardcore MMO's are a dead dead dead genre. Casual at best. Wow killed the genre for me. Single player RPGs are starting to have a lot more depth these days..
bring back weapon of choice for hots!
Pleiades
Profile Joined June 2010
United States472 Posts
May 10 2011 23:54 GMT
#683
I used to play several MMORPGs before WoW, and what struck me most about WoW was the amount of content it had. Now... know that I didn't join WoW until early-mid 2006. However, the experience of learning a game like it was unique for me. I did play Everquest before, but I didn't know anyone in real life that played compared to WoW where I knew some people.

As more newer MMORPGs used WoW's gameplay/format to a degree, I found that playing them from the start was too much deja vu. I didn't really get to enjoy them as much as I did with WoW. I'm not going to say that the game itself was better or worse than WoW, but there are too many similarities. There's not much more enjoyment if you leave a MMO for another that has almost the same similarity of control.

Most vanilla WoW players that left the game had no sense of accomplishment anymore when WOTLK came out. Things were too easy to get through content. Even though hard modes were challenging they were too similar to the normal easy content. The damage was done in WOTLK and Cataclysm can't undo most of it.

Problem with newer MMORPGs is that they have to both capture the casual base as well has the hardcore that are already occupied by current MMORPGs.
I love you sarge.... AHHHH
Looky
Profile Joined April 2010
United States1608 Posts
May 11 2011 00:11 GMT
#684
kinda want to get into an mmo game.

i tried this game in beta... it was ok. but im waiting for tera to be release since the art looks amazing and the combat actually looks like you need some skills to play. not sure whats fun. how do people like rift?

JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 11 2011 00:22 GMT
#685
I played for maybe 2 weeks. The graphics beat the pants off of WoW, but that takes roughly 0 effort. The game has so much that grabbed me for the first 2 weeks or so, like "damn I wish WoW had had this." Unfortunately, none of it changed the fact that it's just a WoW clone with a "different" system that basically just has a new way to force you into certain specs. Never once found World PvP on a PvP server. Got halfway, numerically, to the level cap, and realized that there was no actual depth to the specs. For me, it was a lot of potential, but with no real catalyst to spark the whole thing off.
Xevious
Profile Joined February 2011
United States2086 Posts
May 11 2011 06:26 GMT
#686
I've played it to level 28, and so far I can safely say that Trion essentially took the skeleton of WoW and reshaped it a little bit, then added shiny new graphics and dynamic leveling content (rifts/invasions). After 5 years of playing WoW competitively I feel completely reinvigorated to play MMOs and am really looking forward to raiding in Rift.

Completely unsurprised Blizz lost 5% of their subs after playing this game.
Random()
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Kyrgyz Republic1462 Posts
May 11 2011 13:57 GMT
#687
On May 11 2011 08:54 Pleiades wrote:
As more newer MMORPGs used WoW's gameplay/format to a degree, I found that playing them from the start was too much deja vu. I didn't really get to enjoy them as much as I did with WoW. I'm not going to say that the game itself was better or worse than WoW, but there are too many similarities. There's not much more enjoyment if you leave a MMO for another that has almost the same similarity of control.


I agree with this, I played the Rift trial for like 2 hours and I just don't see any reason why I should play this game. WoW was fun and mostly new experience, but this feels like a very thorough WoW clone (down to all of the default hotkeys) with a few dubious improvements. What's the point?

I just don't get this cowardice on developers/publishers part, how many more WoW clones can they throw out before someone actually tries something really different? How do such games even make profits?
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 11 2011 14:00 GMT
#688
On May 11 2011 22:57 Random() wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2011 08:54 Pleiades wrote:
As more newer MMORPGs used WoW's gameplay/format to a degree, I found that playing them from the start was too much deja vu. I didn't really get to enjoy them as much as I did with WoW. I'm not going to say that the game itself was better or worse than WoW, but there are too many similarities. There's not much more enjoyment if you leave a MMO for another that has almost the same similarity of control.


I agree with this, I played the Rift trial for like 2 hours and I just don't see any reason why I should play this game. WoW was fun and mostly new experience, but this feels like a very thorough WoW clone (down to all of the default hotkeys) with a few dubious improvements. What's the point?

I just don't get this cowardice on developers/publishers part, how many more WoW clones can they throw out before someone actually tries something really different? How do such games even make profits?


To be fair, Sony tried something different with DC Universe, but they killed it with lack of communication about bad bugs, and a refusal to ban exploiters.
Ruscour
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
5233 Posts
May 11 2011 14:19 GMT
#689
On May 11 2011 23:00 JingleHell wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2011 22:57 Random() wrote:
On May 11 2011 08:54 Pleiades wrote:
As more newer MMORPGs used WoW's gameplay/format to a degree, I found that playing them from the start was too much deja vu. I didn't really get to enjoy them as much as I did with WoW. I'm not going to say that the game itself was better or worse than WoW, but there are too many similarities. There's not much more enjoyment if you leave a MMO for another that has almost the same similarity of control.


I agree with this, I played the Rift trial for like 2 hours and I just don't see any reason why I should play this game. WoW was fun and mostly new experience, but this feels like a very thorough WoW clone (down to all of the default hotkeys) with a few dubious improvements. What's the point?

I just don't get this cowardice on developers/publishers part, how many more WoW clones can they throw out before someone actually tries something really different? How do such games even make profits?


To be fair, Sony tried something different with DC Universe, but they killed it with lack of communication about bad bugs, and a refusal to ban exploiters.

And some sort of Spartan THIS IS WHERE WE STAND approach to not merge servers...and not even attempting to fix the game's retarded UI.

I played RIFT for a little while, I found it incredibly boring. If you're going to make a WoW-clone (don't say it's not, it is, of course it deviated but it does nothing revolutionary to change the WoW style), it needs to be better. I didn't get into much PvP, however the questing is equivalent to Vanilla/BC level stuff in WoW (as in, mindlessly boring worst part of the game), the rifts were kinda fun but really roflstompish (when anyone can run up, it removes absolutely all skill), I got into Realm of the Fae and the content was just boring.

It looked good, but it just doesn't have the Blizzard magic that they put into their games. The Cataclysm questing is absolutely brilliant (this is coming from someone who has played since early BC and always hated questing, leveling 1-60 is a blast right now), leveling via dungeons is fun, and it feels good. I feel like RIFT's systems just aren't fun. When I crit in WoW it's awesome, when I crit in RIFT it's meh. I don't know how to explain this, someone at Blizzard gave some sort of speech about "making numbers fun" at Blizzcon or something, I thought it was blubber but now I see where that's at.

Plus I hear the first major content update horribly failed...
JingleHell
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States11308 Posts
May 11 2011 14:30 GMT
#690
On May 11 2011 23:19 Ruscour wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2011 23:00 JingleHell wrote:
On May 11 2011 22:57 Random() wrote:
On May 11 2011 08:54 Pleiades wrote:
As more newer MMORPGs used WoW's gameplay/format to a degree, I found that playing them from the start was too much deja vu. I didn't really get to enjoy them as much as I did with WoW. I'm not going to say that the game itself was better or worse than WoW, but there are too many similarities. There's not much more enjoyment if you leave a MMO for another that has almost the same similarity of control.


I agree with this, I played the Rift trial for like 2 hours and I just don't see any reason why I should play this game. WoW was fun and mostly new experience, but this feels like a very thorough WoW clone (down to all of the default hotkeys) with a few dubious improvements. What's the point?

I just don't get this cowardice on developers/publishers part, how many more WoW clones can they throw out before someone actually tries something really different? How do such games even make profits?


To be fair, Sony tried something different with DC Universe, but they killed it with lack of communication about bad bugs, and a refusal to ban exploiters.

And some sort of Spartan THIS IS WHERE WE STAND approach to not merge servers...and not even attempting to fix the game's retarded UI.



And released the Valentine's day content a week late, when there was better stuff for devs to work on (Like permanent content), and banning people from the forums for trying to report exploiters, the Chat filter fiasco... nothing like a chat censoring the word "fart" but letting racial slurs through... I swear, if a halfway competent company had made an MMO that played like that one, I wouldn't touch anything else. DCUO had what could have been the most fun PvP ever.
chaokel
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Australia535 Posts
May 11 2011 15:23 GMT
#691
On May 11 2011 22:57 Random() wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 11 2011 08:54 Pleiades wrote:
As more newer MMORPGs used WoW's gameplay/format to a degree, I found that playing them from the start was too much deja vu. I didn't really get to enjoy them as much as I did with WoW. I'm not going to say that the game itself was better or worse than WoW, but there are too many similarities. There's not much more enjoyment if you leave a MMO for another that has almost the same similarity of control.


I agree with this, I played the Rift trial for like 2 hours and I just don't see any reason why I should play this game. WoW was fun and mostly new experience, but this feels like a very thorough WoW clone (down to all of the default hotkeys) with a few dubious improvements. What's the point?

I just don't get this cowardice on developers/publishers part, how many more WoW clones can they throw out before someone actually tries something really different? How do such games even make profits?


A lot of it is due to funding, the types of people who are in control of the money don't want to take risks they see WoW's success and say well lets do what they do. The problem is they don't realise that, that place in the market has almost well and truly been filled and there is no way that some upstart company is going to knock WoW off its throne ever. The only way for a void to open up is if WoW somehow kills itself (which i sometimes wonder if it is already starting on a self destructive path) due to whatever X reasons.

And there are still people making alternate MMO's the problem is they lack the funding and the backing to get the advertising they need to be successful. I've seen quite a few MMO's lately start up and fade out without the majority of people ever knowing they existed. Even the ones that struggle along still will eventually die off if nothing is done to spread awareness of them, the cost of making an MMO is huge as well as maintaining it and you need a solid subscriber base to re-coop that.
confusion
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-13 23:41:45
May 13 2011 23:41 GMT
#692
Hi, as there was this special likesaver deal on D2D, so I was just wondering if anyone from United States, Canada, Mexico, Australia or New Zealand were interested in buying rift. The offer only works for collectors editions, but it'll cost 50% less then.

The only thing I want in exchange is for me to recruit you.

PM me for steam, skype or any other information.
Arathore
Profile Joined January 2011
104 Posts
May 13 2011 23:46 GMT
#693
I played it for 2 days and got over it. It was fun when i first started the rift mechanics were really cool especially since it starts as soon as you get into the game for all levels. However, after the first 1-2 times it just got repetitive and boring
MyLastSerenade
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany710 Posts
May 14 2011 02:17 GMT
#694
i played this for 2 month... pvp is just ridiculous imbalanced and pve is so unbelievable easy, that i quitted the game at the start of may.

u need 5 good people and you can carrie nearly everyone through the 20 man instances. GB was a bit difficult when we cleared it the first time. RoS was just freeloot...

and then, the tons and tons of bugs.
i.e. we were able to clear RoS six times in one ID because they forgot to lock the reset option...


besides the start of the game and the rift design, it is nothing speciale.
manawah
Profile Joined May 2011
123 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-21 23:49:01
May 21 2011 23:47 GMT
#695
I regret paying for this game. Wish I tried the beta first before I went out and bought this.
It was way too simple and everything was handed to you without effort. They added too many player class choices and didn't balance them properly.
The armor/weapons/items felt underpowered, when I upgraded it still felt like I was using the lower stat ones still. This was the same issue Age of Conan had at release regarding items.
PVP was non existent outside the instanced zones and pugs contained nothing but OP warriors pyros and sabos using the same templates no class diversity or healers.
MyLastSerenade
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany710 Posts
May 22 2011 10:31 GMT
#696
On May 22 2011 08:47 manawah wrote:
I regret paying for this game. Wish I tried the beta first before I went out and bought this.
It was way too simple and everything was handed to you without effort. They added too many player class choices and didn't balance them properly.
The armor/weapons/items felt underpowered, when I upgraded it still felt like I was using the lower stat ones still. This was the same issue Age of Conan had at release regarding items.
PVP was non existent outside the instanced zones and pugs contained nothing but OP warriors pyros and sabos using the same templates no class diversity or healers.


The main problem is, that it is toooo casual.
And ofc that u dont got a real choice of what spec u play in PvE. As Warrior it is BM, no other DPS spec is viable.... As Mage it is SC and as Rogue u have to be melee.... One of our rogues had the Legendary bow from GS and was nearly full GS/RoS equipped but did much less dps than a T2 equipped melee rogue....
If you are a Casual gamer, this game is a really nice expierience for more than 2 or 3 Month, but for Hardcore gamer it is just too easy. ;(
keeblur
Profile Joined April 2010
United States826 Posts
May 22 2011 13:02 GMT
#697
On May 22 2011 19:31 MyLastSerenade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 22 2011 08:47 manawah wrote:
I regret paying for this game. Wish I tried the beta first before I went out and bought this.
It was way too simple and everything was handed to you without effort. They added too many player class choices and didn't balance them properly.
The armor/weapons/items felt underpowered, when I upgraded it still felt like I was using the lower stat ones still. This was the same issue Age of Conan had at release regarding items.
PVP was non existent outside the instanced zones and pugs contained nothing but OP warriors pyros and sabos using the same templates no class diversity or healers.


The main problem is, that it is toooo casual.
And ofc that u dont got a real choice of what spec u play in PvE. As Warrior it is BM, no other DPS spec is viable.... As Mage it is SC and as Rogue u have to be melee.... One of our rogues had the Legendary bow from GS and was nearly full GS/RoS equipped but did much less dps than a T2 equipped melee rogue....
If you are a Casual gamer, this game is a really nice expierience for more than 2 or 3 Month, but for Hardcore gamer it is just too easy. ;(


Yup. As much as all the multiple builds were to appeal to people who want to be unique, it pretty much ended up certain specs would be "cookie cutter".
Isn't it ironic and selfish to say that God made man in his image, when God was made in man's image?
DrakanSilva
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
Chile932 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-23 21:48:15
May 23 2011 21:47 GMT
#698
I'm playing the freetrial to give it a try.

It looks awesome, It feels awesome and hopefully it will become more of a challenge at higher levels and in a PvP server.

I'm a Cleric and I'm having too much fun :o. Clerics are an awesome hybrid
In the beginning there was nothing... and then exploded
Xevious
Profile Joined February 2011
United States2086 Posts
June 12 2011 03:11 GMT
#699
Been loving it so far, hoping the endgame is similar enough to WoW but without some of the pathetic choices Blizzard has been making lately.
bellhop
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
United States165 Posts
June 15 2011 03:45 GMT
#700
With RIFT continuing to churn out subscription fees, free server transfers coming soon, and the friend I signed up with choosing to just not play at all (-.-), I'm wondering if there is a group of TL'ers playing RIFT on some shard out there. I'd love to jump in and play if there's a guild already set up, if not, come play with me on the shard 'Carrion'!

Let me know! My main is Bellhop


kk glhf :D
Ceci n'est pas une disloqueur.
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 42 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 11m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 110
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 465
Bale 38
League of Legends
Doublelift5288
Other Games
summit1g9143
JimRising 515
ViBE245
Livibee204
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick656
BasetradeTV200
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 128
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1279
• Shiphtur556
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 11m
Patches Events
14h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 11m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 11m
OSC
22h 11m
OSC
1d 11h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.