• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:09
CEST 01:09
KST 08:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9736 users

Tera MMORPG - Page 5

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 195 196 197 Next
Bowzer
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada214 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-01 18:09:09
September 01 2010 18:03 GMT
#81
On August 31 2010 16:34 CatBro wrote:
can you elaborate on why tera is so bad? its hard to imagine a game being worse than Aion

It was not what anyone waiting for the game expected.

We were promised an open world, what we got was a zoned and completely instanced world with little in the way of freedom. There might not be loading screens when you enter new zones, but there are channels to each area, and if the server deems that you are in a too highly populated area, it switches you to another zone completely breaking the world immersion.

The questing system was absolutely retarded and way outdated. An example would be, go here and kill 20 things, bring me back the tails. Every single quest is like this with nary any variation. Right when you finish all the quests for your area, a whole new area of the same boring repetitive quests opens up to you and you repeat the process endlessly.

Linear is an understatement for this game. Picture Aion's quest herding and pigeonholing mixed in with Age of Conan's way of making you follow a singular path all the way to max level, and that's what you have with TERA.

Granted, I'm also what you would consider an old school UO / L2 style of pvper, but there is absolutely no excuse for the next gripe I have. On the pvp servers there is a 5 second countdown timer between the time you flag on an opponent and before you can attack them.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things because it's been a few months since I've played it. I was waiting for this game with baited breath since it was announced as project S3 back in 2006. Prepare to be disappointed guys.

Cheers
A drinking community with a gaming problem.
SPYTE
Profile Joined August 2010
United States289 Posts
September 01 2010 18:35 GMT
#82
On August 29 2010 19:43 Macabre wrote:
Anyone else excited for this beautiful MMORPG due to launch in Q1 2011?

www.tera-online.com

It was awarded best online game @ gamescon by playXP.

http://www.glimpsedog.com/content/353-video-hands-tera.html Five part video from Gamescon 2010

Highly anticipating this game myself. I had just about given up hope on MMORPGS, but I hear nothing but good things about TERA.

Check out the fan site below for tons of news updates/media.

http://terafans.com


wait a second.. is this macabre from cool kids? haha

either way, looks REAAALLLY good!! :D
"The original SPYTE"
Fleet 9
Profile Joined August 2010
United States40 Posts
September 01 2010 18:41 GMT
#83
On August 31 2010 05:44 FroZeNN wrote:
wow this game actually looks like it could compete with WoW, all depends how dedicated the support team is and if all of the ideas that they are trying to implement into the game actually work when tons of people play it, might be the first MMO i buy at release


It depends. Similarly, I think Rakion was a great game except shit poor management made it flop. I loved the game design and I'm hoping Tera will end up with something similar with some PvE mixed in. If I do end up playing Tera it'll probably be for the PvP and not the PvE unless the AI for mobs is incredibly good.

Sure, I could go play FPS but that's incredibly fasted paced and very little room for mind games and much variation in play styles. Just waiting for an MMORPG to make combat more fun instead of just clicking skills. On the other hand, maybe I haven't looked hard enough?
Things are only as offensive as you let them be,
Effect010
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany89 Posts
September 01 2010 19:16 GMT
#84
hmm looks boring imo..
"Keep stepping over dead bodys." - day9
Jibba
Profile Blog Joined October 2007
United States22883 Posts
September 01 2010 19:41 GMT
#85
On September 02 2010 03:03 Bowzer wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 31 2010 16:34 CatBro wrote:
can you elaborate on why tera is so bad? its hard to imagine a game being worse than Aion

It was not what anyone waiting for the game expected.

We were promised an open world, what we got was a zoned and completely instanced world with little in the way of freedom. There might not be loading screens when you enter new zones, but there are channels to each area, and if the server deems that you are in a too highly populated area, it switches you to another zone completely breaking the world immersion.

The questing system was absolutely retarded and way outdated. An example would be, go here and kill 20 things, bring me back the tails. Every single quest is like this with nary any variation. Right when you finish all the quests for your area, a whole new area of the same boring repetitive quests opens up to you and you repeat the process endlessly.

Linear is an understatement for this game. Picture Aion's quest herding and pigeonholing mixed in with Age of Conan's way of making you follow a singular path all the way to max level, and that's what you have with TERA.

Granted, I'm also what you would consider an old school UO / L2 style of pvper, but there is absolutely no excuse for the next gripe I have. On the pvp servers there is a 5 second countdown timer between the time you flag on an opponent and before you can attack them.

I'm sure I'm missing a few things because it's been a few months since I've played it. I was waiting for this game with baited breath since it was announced as project S3 back in 2006. Prepare to be disappointed guys.

Cheers

Even though you kind of just killed the game for me, thanks for making such an informative post.

Maybe they're still tweaking these things before release.
ModeratorNow I'm distant, dark in this anthrobeat
Macabre
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1262 Posts
September 03 2010 13:35 GMT
#86
TERA will be at PAX. Be on the look out for new footage.

Also, to Bowser.. TERA is FAR from linear on following a path to max level.. the world is open.

There is no instance'd zones for the world. only on launch will the STARTING ISLAND(Isle of Dawn) have channels. Which is a good thing, who wants to fight for mobs with 1million level ones.
Clearly you never made it off the isle.

As far as the 5 second pvp timer, this was a place holder for the beta. It will not be like that on PvP servers.
Those who know how to think need no teachers. Tasteless - I think I'll take my shirt off and let my muscles do the casting
bmml
Profile Joined December 2009
United Kingdom962 Posts
September 03 2010 14:11 GMT
#87
Gotta say the news of a non persistent world kinda killed it for me though there seems to be conflicting information in regards to that, I guess I'll see how it develops but it has to be better than aion.
fujimi
Profile Joined August 2010
Japan32 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-04 09:00:23
September 04 2010 08:56 GMT
#88
Continent of the Ninth (C9)

Personally I'm looking forward to the PvP

I rest my case.

I got 2 Korean accounts, but I can't read Korean so I'm not using em.

The good news would be;
"Hangame, a famous game portal in South Korea, has signed a licensing agreement with NHN GAMES to publish NHN Games' in house developed MMORPG C9 (Continent of the Ninth). On Oct. 24th"
If only those pigs could fly away..
Bowzer
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada214 Posts
September 04 2010 19:41 GMT
#89
On September 02 2010 04:41 Jibba wrote:
Even though you kind of just killed the game for me, thanks for making such an informative post.

Maybe they're still tweaking these things before release.

I wish that were the case Jibba.

Every patch and tweak they have made to the game thus far, has dumbed it down to the point where it has lost what it had originally claimed to be, a sandbox open world mmo.

This game is most definitely a carebear, instanced, theme park mmo on easy mode.

Most of the people originally following the game have started to follow Archage instead.
A drinking community with a gaming problem.
reki-
Profile Joined July 2008
Netherlands327 Posts
September 06 2010 21:33 GMT
#90
I don't know why mmo developers take that path with the instanced crap the past few years, i remember playing Age of Conan and inviting some guy for a quest but i couldn't see him while he was right next to me on the minimap, turns out he was in Desert #4 and i was in Desert #1, same area but it was limited to something like 50 people and then it would just open a new one.

That and the fact that you couldn't run through an open world to the different areas (as soon as you passed the border of a zone you would see a map with a few places that you could click on to go to and then it would pop a loading screen).

I really, really hated that about Age of Conan and if something remotely like this is implemented in Tera or any other mmo i would never play it.
>BD
Fruscainte
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
4596 Posts
September 06 2010 21:46 GMT
#91
Is this gonna be F2P?
Macabre
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1262 Posts
September 06 2010 22:02 GMT
#92
It was just confirmed at PAX that TERA has a seemless world. Over 80 zones and counting right now.
Those who know how to think need no teachers. Tasteless - I think I'll take my shirt off and let my muscles do the casting
analogkensho
Profile Joined June 2003
United States358 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-06 23:38:59
September 06 2010 22:57 GMT
#93
TERA looks amazing, and the combat looks pretty fun (more on that later). Leaps and bounds better than WoW, or Rifts, or all the other competitors out there - except GW2, but...shhh. That's just my opinion, and I'll be good and stay on topic.

From what I've heard and seen, however, the following worry me: (these are all in my limited opinion from watching videos of CBT2 and 3, I freely admit I may be wrong or not seeing something here. Please correct me if I'm off base!)

My first, and perhaps most complicated issue: The art... It is amazing on a technical level, don't get me wrong. But I just don't like the Korean aesthetic. The male characters just make me laugh. The female characters, while possessing certain inarguable... charms, simply bother me too much to ignore. I can't appreciate the art when I'm violently wrenched from arousal, to outrage on behalf of women everywhere, to uncontrollable laughing fits at the absurdity of their casting animations, costumes, and... those charms. Those massive, massive charms.

I think the backgrounds and world design look fun and imaginative in this sort of pop/plastic-y way. But I just find them really unbelievable, and lacking in solid world-building fundamentals. It feels to me like a cartoon world that only exists to look dramatic or "cool", with none of the depth and evocative thoughtfulness that a well-designed secondary world can bring. When I look at the world I don't think "man, what's that? I want to see and explore it", or "Hey, that race's buildings look really weird, I wonder how their society works if their towns are built like yaddayadda..." I just say "hey, that's very cool and kinda surreal.... Sweet."

My other issues are simpler:

Grind.

Traditional questing system (can't stand quests. Oh man, no please god no).

More grind. (Or so the rumors go)

Relatively few skills, and I don't really find the skills that I've seen to be very interesting. But that may be an artifact of only seeing lower level stuff. Not sure on this one. To be clear, I like my skills to either have very specific conditional effects, or to be very weird in terms of positional effects, timing and usage, or similar. I know some of the melee characters have some fun effects, but I'm more impressed by GW2 in this regard. I can expound on this if needed, but I really just need to read more about TERA, I don't know the skills very well.

I've heard there's a lot of grind.

I hear there's no jump? And only some classes get a dodge skill? Again, I like GW2's dodge-roll.

Holy trinity. I've really come around to liking GW2's idea of removing dedicated healers/tanks. Dunno if it'll work yet, this is in the maybe category.

I'm watching TERA. I'd try to DL the open beta if one comes out, which I haven't done for a new MMO in a long time. I just find that from what I've heard of both the games, I personally jive better with the philosophy of Guildwars2. I think both of them look like they're going to do some really amazing things in their own right, but will appeal to very different players. TERA's just clearly not made to appeal to me.

As a caveat, there are some things I like more about TERA than GW2: The active aiming system looks super fun, I love that. I think their solution for energy is better, as well. It seems more technically advanced in terms of graphics. Again, though, I just need to read more about it.
SONE
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada839 Posts
September 06 2010 23:57 GMT
#94
Sucks for every new mmo that comes out, it will always, always get compared to WoW. WoW was ok in the beginning, but it has turned into a shit fest casual(like hardcore casual wii tennis) game. Training wheels all over the place, and just, bad.
NickC
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
233 Posts
September 07 2010 00:21 GMT
#95
People should compare every new mmo to Vanguard rather than wow
trucane
Profile Joined January 2009
United States553 Posts
September 07 2010 01:03 GMT
#96
Yawn... Just another boring Asian MMO mega grind I presume? The MMO market is in a sad state right now, everything is either super generic or more or less a straight out copy of WoW.

Need more original games really... Personally I'm waiting for Earthrise but looking at the low amount of new media I'm afraid I will die of old age before that game is released. Btw anyone know of any other good sandbox MMOs coming out in the near feature ( or at least supposed to be under development)? So bored of all the themeparks which plays exactly the same.
deth
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Australia1757 Posts
September 07 2010 01:09 GMT
#97
TERA will be as dead as AoC in the western world within 5 months of release. These sorts of games just arent as acceptable in our culture compared to asia.
Terrakin
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States1440 Posts
September 07 2010 01:15 GMT
#98
On September 04 2010 17:56 fujimi wrote:
Continent of the Ninth (C9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-gkFL7G8ow
Personally I'm looking forward to the PvP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9soRj6F-t7Y
I rest my case.

I got 2 Korean accounts, but I can't read Korean so I'm not using em.

The good news would be;
"Hangame, a famous game portal in South Korea, has signed a licensing agreement with NHN GAMES to publish NHN Games' in house developed MMORPG C9 (Continent of the Ninth). On Oct. 24th"

wowowow this games PVP looks amazing. Can I try out one of those accounts for you?
Fame was like a drug. But what was even more like a drug were the drugs.
Equalizer
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada115 Posts
September 07 2010 01:28 GMT
#99
C9 is closer in game play to diablo than WoW as all combat areas were instanced.

Its game mechanics are certainly much better than any other games I've seen making for comparatively good pvp, even though its on small scale.

I personally didn't like the complete instancing of the fighting areas and would like to see an open world game with larger scale combat using the mechanics C9 uses.

In any case C9 is good but is a different style of game but if its combat engine were to be used in an open world game (Tera? I am not sure what they're using) I think the game overall experience could be better.
The person who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt the person doing it.
Macabre
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1262 Posts
September 07 2010 02:43 GMT
#100
On September 07 2010 07:57 analogkensho wrote:
TERA looks amazing, and the combat looks pretty fun (more on that later). Leaps and bounds better than WoW, or Rifts, or all the other competitors out there - except GW2, but...shhh. That's just my opinion, and I'll be good and stay on topic.

From what I've heard and seen, however, the following worry me: (these are all in my limited opinion from watching videos of CBT2 and 3, I freely admit I may be wrong or not seeing something here. Please correct me if I'm off base!)

My first, and perhaps most complicated issue: The art... It is amazing on a technical level, don't get me wrong. But I just don't like the Korean aesthetic. The male characters just make me laugh. The female characters, while possessing certain inarguable... charms, simply bother me too much to ignore. I can't appreciate the art when I'm violently wrenched from arousal, to outrage on behalf of women everywhere, to uncontrollable laughing fits at the absurdity of their casting animations, costumes, and... those charms. Those massive, massive charms.

I think the backgrounds and world design look fun and imaginative in this sort of pop/plastic-y way. But I just find them really unbelievable, and lacking in solid world-building fundamentals. It feels to me like a cartoon world that only exists to look dramatic or "cool", with none of the depth and evocative thoughtfulness that a well-designed secondary world can bring. When I look at the world I don't think "man, what's that? I want to see and explore it", or "Hey, that race's buildings look really weird, I wonder how their society works if their towns are built like yaddayadda..." I just say "hey, that's very cool and kinda surreal.... Sweet."

My other issues are simpler:

Grind.

Traditional questing system (can't stand quests. Oh man, no please god no).

More grind. (Or so the rumors go)

Relatively few skills, and I don't really find the skills that I've seen to be very interesting. But that may be an artifact of only seeing lower level stuff. Not sure on this one. To be clear, I like my skills to either have very specific conditional effects, or to be very weird in terms of positional effects, timing and usage, or similar. I know some of the melee characters have some fun effects, but I'm more impressed by GW2 in this regard. I can expound on this if needed, but I really just need to read more about TERA, I don't know the skills very well.

I've heard there's a lot of grind.

I hear there's no jump? And only some classes get a dodge skill? Again, I like GW2's dodge-roll.

Holy trinity. I've really come around to liking GW2's idea of removing dedicated healers/tanks. Dunno if it'll work yet, this is in the maybe category.

I'm watching TERA. I'd try to DL the open beta if one comes out, which I haven't done for a new MMO in a long time. I just find that from what I've heard of both the games, I personally jive better with the philosophy of Guildwars2. I think both of them look like they're going to do some really amazing things in their own right, but will appeal to very different players. TERA's just clearly not made to appeal to me.

As a caveat, there are some things I like more about TERA than GW2: The active aiming system looks super fun, I love that. I think their solution for energy is better, as well. It seems more technically advanced in terms of graphics. Again, though, I just need to read more about it.



As far as what I've heard about the grind. Our version has been westernized to have a much easier leveling system. People at PAX said they went from 35-37 in the span of a 30 minute instance. Level 60 being the level cap. Not sure if the EXP is boosted or what.

As far as jump, it is now in the game, as well as swimming, climbing, etc.
Those who know how to think need no teachers. Tasteless - I think I'll take my shirt off and let my muscles do the casting
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 195 196 197 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings16
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O151
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 1
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 988
ZZZero.O 151
Bale 18
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm163
League of Legends
Doublelift5440
JimRising 746
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby5590
Other Games
summit1g9846
FrodaN3241
KnowMe205
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1218
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream41
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP20
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie960
• Shiphtur189
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 52m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
11h 52m
Monday Night Weeklies
16h 52m
Replay Cast
23h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 11h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.