• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:11
CEST 08:11
KST 15:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon102Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9252 users

Diablo III General Discussion - Page 207

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 205 206 207 208 209 1109 Next
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
August 08 2011 11:24 GMT
#4121
On August 08 2011 17:29 NeoLearner wrote:
My question on the whole RMAH thing is: Do we really expect something to be worse than in D2 because Blizzard brings it out of the darkness into the light?

There is a big black-market (with real money) for D2 items. The economy of D2 got screwed up early because all the dupe bugs and so on. These 2 things together screwed it up nice an early.
If we can start with a fresh economy which will hopefully be dupe-free (because of the always online thing), do we expect the same end result as D2?


No one knows yet.

However with the online always experience Blizzard can much easily track people from third party sites selling stuff and ban them.

And you can bet your ass off Blizzard will be sooooo efficient to ban them now because now they have a motivation in doing so, they want the fees from the RMAH.

However, although having a much better easier way of tracking and banning people from the black market they instead had the brilliant idea of making the AH themselves in order to have a piece of the market.

So they could have had online gold AH and used the online experience in order to effeciently track and ban sellers better and faster than ever.

Whether you like the RMAH or not, don't be fooled by "we are doing this because our customers wants it". This is a money printer with almost no maintanence cost.

I have no problem with giving Blizzard money, however this is not the way it should be done imo. Legitimizing because with the excuse of "the problem is already there" is just sad. You don't see them legitimizing gold selling in WoW because the problem is there do you?

NeoLearner
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Belgium1847 Posts
August 08 2011 12:04 GMT
#4122
On August 08 2011 20:24 papaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 17:29 NeoLearner wrote:
My question on the whole RMAH thing is: Do we really expect something to be worse than in D2 because Blizzard brings it out of the darkness into the light?

There is a big black-market (with real money) for D2 items. The economy of D2 got screwed up early because all the dupe bugs and so on. These 2 things together screwed it up nice an early.
If we can start with a fresh economy which will hopefully be dupe-free (because of the always online thing), do we expect the same end result as D2?


No one knows yet.

However with the online always experience Blizzard can much easily track people from third party sites selling stuff and ban them.

And you can bet your ass off Blizzard will be sooooo efficient to ban them now because now they have a motivation in doing so, they want the fees from the RMAH.

However, although having a much better easier way of tracking and banning people from the black market they instead had the brilliant idea of making the AH themselves in order to have a piece of the market.

So they could have had online gold AH and used the online experience in order to effeciently track and ban sellers better and faster than ever.

Whether you like the RMAH or not, don't be fooled by "we are doing this because our customers wants it". This is a money printer with almost no maintanence cost.

I have no problem with giving Blizzard money, however this is not the way it should be done imo. Legitimizing because with the excuse of "the problem is already there" is just sad. You don't see them legitimizing gold selling in WoW because the problem is there do you?


A lot of the time these kind of discussions come down to the same thing: How evil do you think Corporation X / Government Y / Boss Z is.

Could Blizzard sell items they fabricated on their RMAH? Yes
Could Blizzard scale down the drop rates on the best/rarest items and sell those under their own accounts? Sure
Would that inflate the price and guarantee them a steady income? You bet!
Are they going to? Who knows.

If I say "No", people will call me naive and tell me to grow up and live in the real world.
If I say "Yes', people will call me a conspiracy theorist and tell me to fetch my thin foil hat.
Defend whichever one you like, but it all comes down to your perception of those companies.
I for one don't believe Blizzard will do that. Not all corporations are money sucking parasites. I'm naive that way.

I'm maybe even a bit glad Blizzard took control. I trust them a lot more than all those random trolls and grievers running around.
Bankai - Correlation does not imply causation
Zimbapina
Profile Joined June 2010
Finland15 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 12:20:00
August 08 2011 12:19 GMT
#4123
On August 08 2011 21:04 NeoLearner wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 20:24 papaz wrote:
On August 08 2011 17:29 NeoLearner wrote:
My question on the whole RMAH thing is: Do we really expect something to be worse than in D2 because Blizzard brings it out of the darkness into the light?

There is a big black-market (with real money) for D2 items. The economy of D2 got screwed up early because all the dupe bugs and so on. These 2 things together screwed it up nice an early.
If we can start with a fresh economy which will hopefully be dupe-free (because of the always online thing), do we expect the same end result as D2?


No one knows yet.

However with the online always experience Blizzard can much easily track people from third party sites selling stuff and ban them.

And you can bet your ass off Blizzard will be sooooo efficient to ban them now because now they have a motivation in doing so, they want the fees from the RMAH.

However, although having a much better easier way of tracking and banning people from the black market they instead had the brilliant idea of making the AH themselves in order to have a piece of the market.

So they could have had online gold AH and used the online experience in order to effeciently track and ban sellers better and faster than ever.

Whether you like the RMAH or not, don't be fooled by "we are doing this because our customers wants it". This is a money printer with almost no maintanence cost.

I have no problem with giving Blizzard money, however this is not the way it should be done imo. Legitimizing because with the excuse of "the problem is already there" is just sad. You don't see them legitimizing gold selling in WoW because the problem is there do you?


A lot of the time these kind of discussions come down to the same thing: How evil do you think Corporation X / Government Y / Boss Z is.

Could Blizzard sell items they fabricated on their RMAH? Yes
Could Blizzard scale down the drop rates on the best/rarest items and sell those under their own accounts? Sure
Would that inflate the price and guarantee them a steady income? You bet!
Are they going to? Who knows.

If I say "No", people will call me naive and tell me to grow up and live in the real world.
If I say "Yes', people will call me a conspiracy theorist and tell me to fetch my thin foil hat.
Defend whichever one you like, but it all comes down to your perception of those companies.
I for one don't believe Blizzard will do that. Not all corporations are money sucking parasites. I'm naive that way.

I'm maybe even a bit glad Blizzard took control. I trust them a lot more than all those random trolls and grievers running around.


You mean Activision, right ? Or should I say: " Would Mr. Kotick do these things?"
JohnQPublic
Profile Joined April 2010
United States123 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 12:30:01
August 08 2011 12:28 GMT
#4124
It would not be hard to stop all item trading for real money in d3. Even in wow it is fairly well regulated and it was not designed around limiting the selling of gold. If you design a game from scratch with the intentions of making selling items as hard as possible for the people involved it will be able to cut it down to near nothing.

It is 100% a money grab. I fear most for the future of gaming if this sort of thing catches on. Blizzard are trendsetters, the mmo market was not nearly as saturated before wow and now there is a new one every couple months. If this whole money for power thing catches on I will not want any part of it, but I will not have a choice.

Games are meant to be played. It's really that simple, if you don't want to put in the time and effort to play the game then what is the purpose? The entire notion of paying money to have someone else play the game for you is absurd.

All the things that ruined the spirit of d2 have been not only added to d3 but embraced. I have waited years for this game eagerly but will not be playing it and the only thing I can blame is greed.
non sum qualis eram
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 12:40:26
August 08 2011 12:35 GMT
#4125

It would not be hard to stop all item trading for real money in d3. Even in wow it is fairly well regulated and it was not designed around limiting the selling of gold. If you design a game from scratch with the intentions of making selling items as hard as possible for the people involved it will be able to cut it down to near nothing.


The reason it doesn't happen in WoW as much is because every single person who plays the game pays $20 a month, after paying $60 for each expansion, of which there are 4 games out already (compared to most Blizz expansions costing ~$30).

So if you're okay with paying $20 a month just so items aren't traded for real money, go for it bro. But I wouldn't pay to play, I quit WoW after 2 months because it just wasn't worth it. In fact, I started playing D2X-HC again.

PS: There still exists a lot of illegal item trading in Wow, as well. I don't know what world you live on, but there exists a whole country of farmers (the country begins with C, hint hint, to avoid racism) that exist solely to break Blizzard EULA and sell items for real world money in a grey market. Plus, many people, both professional and not, sell their characters on ebay (despite ebay taking down the listing, customers can just contact the email listed by the seller, like someone who isn't me did for $480 the day before BC came out for a t0.5 lvl 60). And THEN, there are whole websites dedicated to selling gold for money, for both buyers and sellers (which someone who isn't me made another $100 for just 600 gold).

edit: So I, for one, think this is a move to retain the integrity of the game. Quite honestly, as someone who hacked a lot and made a lot of money on D2X and WoW, this bothers me as it would drive the prices down and make botting a lot less worthwhile, particularly with newer versions of Warden. But as someone who enjoys the games, I think it's a good move.

So while it's great you have this "Games should be played for fun, not money!" attitude, many of us had FUN botting the shit outta Diablo, and then selling godly loot that most people wouldn't get in 2 years of playing overnight. I know I had a lot of fun writing the code and perfecting the program of my bot in D2X-HC. I had a hammerdin that would kill Shenk the Overseer (crappy act5 boss that had possibility to drop anything), and then he would check out the store owners in act5 to see if they had any epic blue loot (sometimes vendors had epics), sell all bad drops, and then gamble the money at Anya for possible godly yellow amulets. I also had him set to do only a run a minute, as batle.net would DC you for 20 minutes if you joined more than 1 game a minute.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
demonik187
Profile Joined August 2010
United States575 Posts
August 08 2011 12:37 GMT
#4126
On August 08 2011 21:28 JohnQPublic wrote:
It would not be hard to stop all item trading for real money in d3. Even in wow it is fairly well regulated and it was not designed around limiting the selling of gold. If you design a game from scratch with the intentions of making selling items as hard as possible for the people involved it will be able to cut it down to near nothing.

It is 100% a money grab. I fear most for the future of gaming if this sort of thing catches on. Blizzard are trendsetters, the mmo market was not nearly as saturated before wow and now there is a new one every couple months. If this whole money for power thing catches on I will not want any part of it, but I will not have a choice.

Games are meant to be played. It's really that simple, if you don't want to put in the time and effort to play the game then what is the purpose? The entire notion of paying money to have someone else play the game for you is absurd.

All the things that ruined the spirit of d2 have been not only added to d3 but embraced. I have waited years for this game eagerly but will not be playing it and the only thing I can blame is greed.



How much you wanna bet you do play it anyway? No one thinks you are cooler because you say you are gonna boycott D3 when we all know you are gonna buy it at midnight release the same way we all are. It's cool to pretend though isn't it?
We march to victory!
Sindriss
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark263 Posts
August 08 2011 12:40 GMT
#4127
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway, so might as well make it legit and safe for the buyers. What sort of backwater logic is this? You can apply the same logic to drug dealing or prostitution. It will happen anyway, might as well make it legic and safe for the people involved.

Why do you want to make it safe for the people who buy items? I don't care if they get hacked and has to reinstall windows, or they lose the password to their email account. They have no one to blame other than themselves, as they decided to involve themselves in shady business. Its a risk that you will get hacked when you do that. And I think that is good, those bloody itembuyers should get hacked, the same is true for people buying gold in WoW.

The only reason this is implemented is for Blizzard to get even richer. Greedy jackasses imo.
Zimbapina
Profile Joined June 2010
Finland15 Posts
August 08 2011 12:43 GMT
#4128
On August 08 2011 21:37 demonik187 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 21:28 JohnQPublic wrote:
It would not be hard to stop all item trading for real money in d3. Even in wow it is fairly well regulated and it was not designed around limiting the selling of gold. If you design a game from scratch with the intentions of making selling items as hard as possible for the people involved it will be able to cut it down to near nothing.

It is 100% a money grab. I fear most for the future of gaming if this sort of thing catches on. Blizzard are trendsetters, the mmo market was not nearly as saturated before wow and now there is a new one every couple months. If this whole money for power thing catches on I will not want any part of it, but I will not have a choice.

Games are meant to be played. It's really that simple, if you don't want to put in the time and effort to play the game then what is the purpose? The entire notion of paying money to have someone else play the game for you is absurd.

All the things that ruined the spirit of d2 have been not only added to d3 but embraced. I have waited years for this game eagerly but will not be playing it and the only thing I can blame is greed.



How much you wanna bet you do play it anyway? No one thinks you are cooler because you say you are gonna boycott D3 when we all know you are gonna buy it at midnight release the same way we all are. It's cool to pretend though isn't it?


Why would he ? He basically feels the same way I do. And I am not, in the current state of affairs, even considering buying the game. I am actually going to treat myself to a nice new lcd screen to go with my new laptop, since I know I will be saving at least 50e with not buying D3.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 08 2011 12:44 GMT
#4129
^ It's also funny that people who say "It's a money grab, blahblah" like that fat guy on the youtube VOD, are too stupid to read what's really going on.

It's just a separate auction house where you can sell items for cash. It's exactly like ebay.com, the only difference is that the money goes to blizzard instead of to ebay. And for those that are naive, you can find Wow chars and diablo2 gear on ebay any time, not to mention sketchy websites that have viruses anytime you check them out.

And then there's the ingame auction house where you can buy items with ingame gold. You can list your items either way, all this does is legalize the black market that's always existed in blizzard games, regulated it, and made sure Blizzard gets the money instead of some script kiddie who is just trying to hack your account and steal everything back ( I've seen lvl 99's suicide in hardcore after a hacker stripped it's gear after they bought some gear from a sketchy site or downloaded TPPK from a bad site. I even remember a hack program called "trade hack" where when a 'hacker tried to activate it, the program would manually remove the characters gear on the ground and then leave the game!). With this, there won't be sudden changes where SOJs are worth everything, then suddenly become useless to the market. It stabilizes the economy.
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
DaCruise
Profile Joined July 2010
Denmark2457 Posts
August 08 2011 12:49 GMT
#4130
On August 08 2011 21:40 Sindriss wrote:
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway, so might as well make it legit and safe for the buyers. What sort of backwater logic is this? You can apply the same logic to drug dealing or prostitution. It will happen anyway, might as well make it legic and safe for the people involved.

Why do you want to make it safe for the people who buy items? I don't care if they get hacked and has to reinstall windows, or they lose the password to their email account. They have no one to blame other than themselves, as they decided to involve themselves in shady business. Its a risk that you will get hacked when you do that. And I think that is good, those bloody itembuyers should get hacked, the same is true for people buying gold in WoW.

The only reason this is implemented is for Blizzard to get even richer. Greedy jackasses imo.


I have to agree with this, but I just have to point out that prostitution is in fact legal,,,at least in civilized contries.

I myself could never dream of buying anything from such a RMAH. Hell I dont even think I will use the in-game gold to buy stuff. Rather find everything myself as its much more fun and I know for sure that my items are legit.
Belial88
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States5217 Posts
August 08 2011 12:50 GMT
#4131
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway, so might as well make it legit and safe for the buyers. What sort of backwater logic is this? You can apply the same logic to drug dealing or prostitution. It will happen anyway, might as well make it legic and safe for the people involved.


Right... which is why in places where drugs are legal or better tolerated, violent crime is always much lower. Pretty straightforward logic. Not to mention things like STD prevalence drops like a rock when things like needle exchange programs or government subsidized heroin programs exist.

Why do you want to make it safe for the people who buy items? I don't care if they get hacked and has to reinstall windows, or they lose the password to their email account. They have no one to blame other than themselves, as they decided to involve themselves in shady business. Its a risk that you will get hacked when you do that. And I think that is good, those bloody itembuyers should get hacked, the same is true for people buying gold in WoW.


Yea, fucking assholes blizzard. Making awesome games, and like, trying to make money for doing so. They should shove it up their fucking ass and just not make games anymore! I mean, they should make games, and make them more awesome, those greedy assholes?

How old are you, 10? You do realize the point of these games is for the company to make money right? You don't have to buy their products if they are 'assholes'. The more money they have means the better products they can put out.

As for why make it safe to buy items with money? Well, when people did that, it ruined the in-game economy. I know for a fact that when my botter in D2X unloaded a Deaths Fathom every night on a realm where maybe only 1 was found a week by the general population, I impacted the economy of US East. So if Blizzard can make these sorts of markets accessible to everyone, it means that everyone can access these loot, instead of the select few who are willing to either hack or pay cash money for a game they should't have to.

User was warned for this post
How to build a $500 i7-3770K Ultimate Computer:http://www.teamliquid.net/blogs/viewblog.php?topic_id=392709 ******** 100% Safe Razorless Delid Method! http://www.overclock.net/t/1376206/how-to-delid-your-ivy-bridge-cpu-with-out-a-razor-blade/0_100
zalz
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Netherlands3704 Posts
August 08 2011 12:52 GMT
#4132
On August 08 2011 21:40 Sindriss wrote:
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway, so might as well make it legit and safe for the buyers. What sort of backwater logic is this? You can apply the same logic to drug dealing or prostitution. It will happen anyway, might as well make it legic and safe for the people involved.

Why do you want to make it safe for the people who buy items? I don't care if they get hacked and has to reinstall windows, or they lose the password to their email account. They have no one to blame other than themselves, as they decided to involve themselves in shady business. Its a risk that you will get hacked when you do that. And I think that is good, those bloody itembuyers should get hacked, the same is true for people buying gold in WoW.

The only reason this is implemented is for Blizzard to get even richer. Greedy jackasses imo.


Yeah what silly logic!

And you never see people advocating legalising drugs and prostitution...ooh wait.
Zimbapina
Profile Joined June 2010
Finland15 Posts
August 08 2011 12:53 GMT
#4133
On August 08 2011 21:44 Belial88 wrote:
^ It's also funny that people who say "It's a money grab, blahblah" like that fat guy on the youtube VOD, are too stupid to read what's really going on.

It's just a separate auction house where you can sell items for cash. It's exactly like ebay.com, the only difference is that the money goes to blizzard instead of to ebay. And for those that are naive, you can find Wow chars and diablo2 gear on ebay any time, not to mention sketchy websites that have viruses anytime you check them out.

And then there's the ingame auction house where you can buy items with ingame gold. You can list your items either way, all this does is legalize the black market that's always existed in blizzard games, regulated it, and made sure Blizzard gets the money instead of some script kiddie who is just trying to hack your account and steal everything back ( I've seen lvl 99's suicide in hardcore after a hacker stripped it's gear after they bought some gear from a sketchy site or downloaded TPPK from a bad site. I even remember a hack program called "trade hack" where when a 'hacker tried to activate it, the program would manually remove the characters gear on the ground and then leave the game!). With this, there won't be sudden changes where SOJs are worth everything, then suddenly become useless to the market. It stabilizes the economy.


Well, in all honesty, the same can be said about the people defending the auction house. Like protecting the players is blizzards concern, when things like this happen to how many people from the whole population ? And how many people use illegal sites ? Don't you think that there is a lower barrier now to buy stuff, which in turn means more money for blizzard now that there will be more people buying items with cash. They are in the end a quoted company, so they need to keep the shareholders happy.
Sindriss
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark263 Posts
August 08 2011 13:08 GMT
#4134
On August 08 2011 21:50 Belial88 wrote:
Show nested quote +
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway, so might as well make it legit and safe for the buyers. What sort of backwater logic is this? You can apply the same logic to drug dealing or prostitution. It will happen anyway, might as well make it legic and safe for the people involved.


Right... which is why in places where drugs are legal or better tolerated, violent crime is always much lower. Pretty straightforward logic. Not to mention things like STD prevalence drops like a rock when things like needle exchange programs or government subsidized heroin programs exist.

Show nested quote +
Why do you want to make it safe for the people who buy items? I don't care if they get hacked and has to reinstall windows, or they lose the password to their email account. They have no one to blame other than themselves, as they decided to involve themselves in shady business. Its a risk that you will get hacked when you do that. And I think that is good, those bloody itembuyers should get hacked, the same is true for people buying gold in WoW.


Yea, fucking assholes blizzard. Making awesome games, and like, trying to make money for doing so. They should shove it up their fucking ass and just not make games anymore! I mean, they should make games, and make them more awesome, those greedy assholes?

How old are you, 10? You do realize the point of these games is for the company to make money right? You don't have to buy their products if they are 'assholes'. The more money they have means the better products they can put out.

As for why make it safe to buy items with money? Well, when people did that, it ruined the in-game economy. I know for a fact that when my botter in D2X unloaded a Deaths Fathom every night on a realm where maybe only 1 was found a week by the general population, I impacted the economy of US East. So if Blizzard can make these sorts of markets accessible to everyone, it means that everyone can access these loot, instead of the select few who are willing to either hack or pay cash money for a game they should't have to.


Let me clarify a few points.

Yes, bliz can make awesome games. But they do not have to do it in a greedy fashion, like the RMAH and the many expansions for sc2. I doubt they have any lack of funds, but I am in no way surprised to see the opinion that they should maximize profit in every way, since it will clearly give us much better games. That is just naive.

Second, no, I am in fact not 10 years old. Try 25. Do I realize that they are making games to make money? I would clearly hope so, since I hold a masters degree in business economics. But there is a difference between running a well functioning company that has solid finances and a well functioning business model, and then attempting to maximize profits, as is happening increasingly in Blizzard, from my point of view of course.

I think that this short-term sight on profit maximization will hurt blizzard in the long run, but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.
NeoLearner
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Belgium1847 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-08 13:21:08
August 08 2011 13:15 GMT
#4135
On August 08 2011 21:53 Zimbapina wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 21:44 Belial88 wrote:
^ It's also funny that people who say "It's a money grab, blahblah" like that fat guy on the youtube VOD, are too stupid to read what's really going on.

It's just a separate auction house where you can sell items for cash. It's exactly like ebay.com, the only difference is that the money goes to blizzard instead of to ebay. And for those that are naive, you can find Wow chars and diablo2 gear on ebay any time, not to mention sketchy websites that have viruses anytime you check them out.

And then there's the ingame auction house where you can buy items with ingame gold. You can list your items either way, all this does is legalize the black market that's always existed in blizzard games, regulated it, and made sure Blizzard gets the money instead of some script kiddie who is just trying to hack your account and steal everything back ( I've seen lvl 99's suicide in hardcore after a hacker stripped it's gear after they bought some gear from a sketchy site or downloaded TPPK from a bad site. I even remember a hack program called "trade hack" where when a 'hacker tried to activate it, the program would manually remove the characters gear on the ground and then leave the game!). With this, there won't be sudden changes where SOJs are worth everything, then suddenly become useless to the market. It stabilizes the economy.


Well, in all honesty, the same can be said about the people defending the auction house. Like protecting the players is blizzards concern, when things like this happen to how many people from the whole population ? And how many people use illegal sites ? Don't you think that there is a lower barrier now to buy stuff, which in turn means more money for blizzard now that there will be more people buying items with cash. They are in the end a quoted company, so they need to keep the shareholders happy.

Keeping the shareholders happy, that's something you hear a lot. It doesn't really work out exactly how you would expect.

Example: My company announced we had a 10% increase in total profits compared to last year. So we did good and are still growing. Stock price dropped 20% following the announcement, because we had said we were going to grow 12%. Making shareholders happy and doing what is right for the company is NOT the same as doing the most evil money hungry thing.

Also:
http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:ATVI
Activision Blizzard's stock price. I know there's a global market downturn but even when you check the stock price relative against the global NASDAQ index, there is no effect of the RMAH. I honestly don't think shareholders care about it at this point, too much uncertainty.

As for making the barrier lower: certainly it makes the barrier for in game trading (using in game currency) lower, as you are a lot less likely to get scammed. In D2 scamming was rampant and I never traded for real money. So that's a good thing, won't ruin someones game experience.
As making the barrier for RMT lower? most likely yes. Still not as low as most people thing according to me, as you still need to link a pay-pal account and a credit card to benefit from the RMT.

EDIT: Readability. Still looks too wall-of-texty.
Also: Maximizing profits? Blizzard stands to make the most money if they make an attractive game (to draw in many people) and manage to keep them so they can sell them expansions. They will never make more money on Diablo from RM trading than from sales. So if they honestly thought it would hurt their bottom line, they never would've implemented it, right>
Bankai - Correlation does not imply causation
Zimbapina
Profile Joined June 2010
Finland15 Posts
August 08 2011 13:23 GMT
#4136
On August 08 2011 22:15 NeoLearner wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 21:53 Zimbapina wrote:
On August 08 2011 21:44 Belial88 wrote:
^ It's also funny that people who say "It's a money grab, blahblah" like that fat guy on the youtube VOD, are too stupid to read what's really going on.

It's just a separate auction house where you can sell items for cash. It's exactly like ebay.com, the only difference is that the money goes to blizzard instead of to ebay. And for those that are naive, you can find Wow chars and diablo2 gear on ebay any time, not to mention sketchy websites that have viruses anytime you check them out.

And then there's the ingame auction house where you can buy items with ingame gold. You can list your items either way, all this does is legalize the black market that's always existed in blizzard games, regulated it, and made sure Blizzard gets the money instead of some script kiddie who is just trying to hack your account and steal everything back ( I've seen lvl 99's suicide in hardcore after a hacker stripped it's gear after they bought some gear from a sketchy site or downloaded TPPK from a bad site. I even remember a hack program called "trade hack" where when a 'hacker tried to activate it, the program would manually remove the characters gear on the ground and then leave the game!). With this, there won't be sudden changes where SOJs are worth everything, then suddenly become useless to the market. It stabilizes the economy.


Well, in all honesty, the same can be said about the people defending the auction house. Like protecting the players is blizzards concern, when things like this happen to how many people from the whole population ? And how many people use illegal sites ? Don't you think that there is a lower barrier now to buy stuff, which in turn means more money for blizzard now that there will be more people buying items with cash. They are in the end a quoted company, so they need to keep the shareholders happy.

Keeping the shareholders happy, that's something you hear a lot. It doesn't really work out exactly how you would expect.
Example: My company announced we had a 10% increase in total profits compared to last year. So we did good and are still growing. Stock price dropped 20% following the announcement, because we had said we were going to grow 12%. Making shareholders happy and doing what is right for the company is NOT the same as doing the most evil money hungry thing.
Also:
http://www.google.com/finance?q=NASDAQ:ATVI
Activision Blizzard's stock price. I know there's a global market downturn but even when you check the stock price relative against the global NASDAQ index, there is no effect of the RMAH. I honestly don't think shareholders care about it at this point, too much uncertainty.

As for making the barrier lower: might be the case. For certain it makes the barrier for in game trading (using in game currency) lower, as you are a lot less likely to get scammed. In D2 scamming was rampant and I never traded for real money. So that's a good thing, won't ruin someones game experience.
As making the barrier for RMT lower? most likely yes. Still not as low as most people thing according to me, as you still need to link a pay-pal account and a credit card to benefit from the RMT.


Yes, I know that their stock value is decreasing, I was at some point thinking of buying some of ATVI stock. If you look at how the stock price has developed, it has been going upward after the release of WoW, until the end of 2008. I am sure that there will be an upward trend once D3 hits the market, and depending on the RMT AH, the stock will develop even further.
Bulkers
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland509 Posts
August 08 2011 13:28 GMT
#4137
This disscusion about RMAH is so funny. I think its good idea, and ill gladly use RMAH instead of d2jsp and ebay to get money. If you dont like it, dont buy it. How hard can it be? We all know that you will cry and buy the game anyways so wtf is the point?
Spyridon
Profile Joined April 2010
United States997 Posts
August 08 2011 13:33 GMT
#4138
On August 08 2011 21:40 Sindriss wrote:
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway


Uhh, because I played D2 for years and seen it first hand, so I know for a fact it was going to occur anyway.

It happens not only in D2, but ANY game of a similar format. You think it didnt happen in GW? It happens way more in non-subscription fee games than MMO's, and we all know how common real money trade is in MMO's.

I would much rather the PLAYERS get the money for it, rather than an asian company on EBay or (insert random website that dealt in D2 items/runes here).

Sindriss
Profile Joined May 2010
Denmark263 Posts
August 08 2011 13:39 GMT
#4139
On August 08 2011 22:33 Spyridon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 21:40 Sindriss wrote:
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway


Uhh, because I played D2 for years and seen it first hand, so I know for a fact it was going to occur anyway.

It happens not only in D2, but ANY game of a similar format. You think it didnt happen in GW? It happens way more in non-subscription fee games than MMO's, and we all know how common real money trade is in MMO's.

I would much rather the PLAYERS get the money for it, rather than an asian company on EBay or (insert random website that dealt in D2 items/runes here).



Gogo reading comprehension!!!

You took a part of a sentence and extrapolated from that. I never said it does not happen, I just said I don't care what consequenses it has to those who buy items. I have played d2 insanely much, I know that a lot of people bought items from shady sites. I just do not think that they should be protected, you reap what you sow.
NeoLearner
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Belgium1847 Posts
August 08 2011 13:51 GMT
#4140
On August 08 2011 22:39 Sindriss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 08 2011 22:33 Spyridon wrote:
On August 08 2011 21:40 Sindriss wrote:
I really don't understand how everyone is buying blizzards opinion that item selling will occur anyway


Uhh, because I played D2 for years and seen it first hand, so I know for a fact it was going to occur anyway.

It happens not only in D2, but ANY game of a similar format. You think it didnt happen in GW? It happens way more in non-subscription fee games than MMO's, and we all know how common real money trade is in MMO's.

I would much rather the PLAYERS get the money for it, rather than an asian company on EBay or (insert random website that dealt in D2 items/runes here).



Gogo reading comprehension!!!

You took a part of a sentence and extrapolated from that. I never said it does not happen, I just said I don't care what consequenses it has to those who buy items. I have played d2 insanely much, I know that a lot of people bought items from shady sites. I just do not think that they should be protected, you reap what you sow.

So you are only opposed to the Real Money part of the RMAH? Or also against the Gold-only part of the auction house?

I can understand your point of not protecting people if they buy stuff from 3rd party sites (which is violating Blizzard's EULA on some level). But how about people using the provided in game trade window to trade items (against items or in the case of D3, an in game currency)? A lot of people got scammed doing exactly that and the Auction House should, in theory, prevent that.

The reason I think Blizzard included the real money in their auction house is exactly to protect the people from being scammed. The reasoning behind it is: even if they are doing something which is not allowed, if they get scammed and because of they, get fed up with the game and drop out, that's money lost for Blizzard. If that gamer would've stayed, he might have bought an expansion or whatever.
Bankai - Correlation does not imply causation
Prev 1 205 206 207 208 209 1109 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
NeuroSwarm 186
StarCraft: Brood War
soO 492
hero 443
BeSt 265
Mind 34
Bale 21
ZergMaN 11
Terrorterran 11
yabsab 10
Noble 9
Icarus 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1100
League of Legends
JimRising 666
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King129
Other Games
summit1g9315
Livibee38
ArmadaUGS29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick480
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 9
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH338
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2258
League of Legends
• Rush1207
• Stunt423
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
3h 49m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
4h 49m
Monday Night Weeklies
9h 49m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 17h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.