• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 14:09
CEST 20:09
KST 03:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup9StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)72Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7860 users

Smash Bros. Melee General Discussion - Page 35

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 188 Next
We have created an irc channel (#tl-smash on Quakenet) for people to find others to play with on Dolphin or just to chat about Smash. Feel free to join!
pPingu
Profile Joined September 2011
Switzerland2892 Posts
October 19 2013 20:33 GMT
#681
I watched the documentary and as someone that didn't follow the melee esports scene but played a shit ton of the game I really liked it.

What I would criticize about it is how the player empasize worked.

Like with the start, I really thought kdj was the best smash player, but during the documentary it seems like he (and m2 and pc) was really great, is really hyped up, then after a short amount of time they just disappear and are replaced by mango.

But I loved the ken and isai part. It made me really feel for them and even cheer for them (almost 10 years too late)
Chezus
Profile Joined January 2011
Netherlands427 Posts
October 19 2013 21:40 GMT
#682
Thank you so much for linking the video of the documentary. I would have never discovered it otherwise. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
RagequitBM
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada2270 Posts
October 19 2013 22:51 GMT
#683
On October 20 2013 05:33 pPingu wrote:
I watched the documentary and as someone that didn't follow the melee esports scene but played a shit ton of the game I really liked it.

What I would criticize about it is how the player empasize worked.

Like with the start, I really thought kdj was the best smash player, but during the documentary it seems like he (and m2 and pc) was really great, is really hyped up, then after a short amount of time they just disappear and are replaced by mango.

But I loved the ken and isai part. It made me really feel for them and even cheer for them (almost 10 years too late)

Yeah I agree with your thoughts on KDJ. They made him seem amazing, then he ended up not even winning anything? Just being some guy who got good fast...
Surprised they added him as a main "character"
Twitch.tv/Ragequitbm for all the fans
shinosai
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1577 Posts
October 20 2013 00:04 GMT
#684
Ok, seriously, what is that intro song? It was so good. Also, that was an interesting documentary. I always like learning about who was dominating a scene, etc.
Be versatile, know when to retreat, and carry a big gun.
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
October 20 2013 00:36 GMT
#685
I went to the Dustbowl Championships today and got my ass kicked. But I had a great time and met some cool people. Maybe now I can start playing with some humans and improve my game.
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
October 20 2013 00:52 GMT
#686
On October 20 2013 04:12 d3_crescentia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 20 2013 02:51 SheaR619 wrote:
On October 19 2013 13:51 Sigrun wrote:
On October 19 2013 04:25 SheaR619 wrote:
On October 19 2013 02:34 AnotherRandom wrote:
So I learned that americans are disrespectful obnoxious hero-haters. The documentary was fantastic and the music and directing was fantastic, but all in all I am just disgusted by how utterly disrespectful the community has been to the top players throughout the history of the game. You have an immature asshole like Mang0 who gets worshipped with "Mango Nation" and then you have people like Ken or Hungry Box who get hated because of their skills or how they apply them. Socialism ftl.


Not trying to be stereotypical but it seem this is just how the fighting game community is. Correct me if I am wrong since I am still fairly new to the fighting game community. I see a similar trend in MvC3 with the whole Chris G. Morrigan+doom. That video really made the spectator of SSBM looks bad while making Ken look like a mentally damaged champion.

This is not just a fighting game community thing, it actually happened in Brood War as well. I remember people hated iloveoov, Savior, and even Flash for no reason other than how dominant they were.


When you are referencing BW, were you talking about the fans in america or the fans in korea being like this? I would assume it just the american audience since asian country try to be more subtle about their opinion right? Or was the asian scene just as bad when voicing their opinion on a champion that has dominated the scene for such a long time.

korean netizen comments are at least 10x worse than the shit redditors say, even during the brood war era


Well that is netizen, so that different and cant really be controlled but in live event where the champion is getting BOO-ED, that rather demoralizing since it is when it matters the most. So in live event, American scene is just worst in general then from what I am seeing.
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
October 20 2013 04:28 GMT
#687
Honestly I enjoyed everyone except Mango. That guy has always acted like an arrogant prick trying to be cool.
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-20 19:25:53
October 20 2013 19:25 GMT
#688
On October 19 2013 23:18 Athos wrote:
I really liked this documentary. I only wish they had a segment on Armada at the end, because I was curious about his background. They just gloss over him being such a dominant force for the last few years.


ohhh yeah I totally agree. They left out how Armada won every major tournament he went to from 2011-Apex 2013 (except Pound V, where he got 2nd and Mango sandbagged)
Writer
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
October 21 2013 00:15 GMT
#689
Totally forgot about this thread. The documentary is amazing and I'm so glad I donated to make it happen!

I'm an active smasher in Sweden and regularly plays with Armada and the other swedish smashers.
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
DyEnasTy
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States3720 Posts
October 21 2013 23:20 GMT
#690
Ive been looking up stuff about SSB4 and what platforms it will be available on. So far Ive seen Wii U and the 3DS. Will it not be available on the regular Wii?
Much better to die an awesome Terran than to live as a magic wielding fairy or a mindless sac of biological goop. -Manifesto7
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-22 00:09:48
October 22 2013 00:07 GMT
#691
finished watching the documentary, really liked it as somebody who used to watch a lot of smash starting from that first game over to right before MLG dropped it, and then after mango got big. i think they glossed over armada too much, that guy needs his own video too . i also didnt like how they dropped the regional perspective in the later videos
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
RagequitBM
Profile Joined November 2011
Canada2270 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-27 06:19:41
October 27 2013 04:54 GMT
#692
Why is Dr. Mario so much more played than regular Mario? I don't like how he looks :/
Also, is it possible to be a consistently top 4 player with a low tier character? I don't think I've ever seen it, and if it has been done before, please enlighten me.

Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?
Twitch.tv/Ragequitbm for all the fans
vlaric
Profile Blog Joined July 2007
United States412 Posts
October 27 2013 07:57 GMT
#693
On October 27 2013 13:54 RagequitBM wrote:
Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?


yup. it's the same idea as the SC2BW map by MavercK in Stacraft 2
Wannabe zerg player
rabidch
Profile Joined January 2010
United States20289 Posts
October 27 2013 08:08 GMT
#694
On October 27 2013 13:54 RagequitBM wrote:
Why is Dr. Mario so much more played than regular Mario? I don't like how he looks :/
Also, is it possible to be a consistently top 4 player with a low tier character? I don't think I've ever seen it, and if it has been done before, please enlighten me.

Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?

only in 64 if your name is isai. i havent seen it in melee, dunno about brawl
LiquidDota StaffOnly a true king can play the King.
Aylear
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Norway3988 Posts
October 27 2013 08:33 GMT
#695
On October 27 2013 17:08 rabidch wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2013 13:54 RagequitBM wrote:
Why is Dr. Mario so much more played than regular Mario? I don't like how he looks :/
Also, is it possible to be a consistently top 4 player with a low tier character? I don't think I've ever seen it, and if it has been done before, please enlighten me.

Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?

only in 64 if your name is isai. i havent seen it in melee, dunno about brawl


Pretty much. You will never see a Pichu or Mewtwo place well in competitive play. Even mid tier characters have problems standing out most of the time.

RIP Mewtwo -- you were my favorite character to play.
TL+ Member
AirbladeOrange
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2574 Posts
October 27 2013 12:39 GMT
#696
On October 27 2013 13:54 RagequitBM wrote:
Why is Dr. Mario so much more played than regular Mario? I don't like how he looks :/
Also, is it possible to be a consistently top 4 player with a low tier character? I don't think I've ever seen it, and if it has been done before, please enlighten me.

Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?


I believe it's mostly because of his pill projectile. Also I think he's slightly stronger than regular Mario.
BrTarolg
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
United Kingdom3574 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-27 12:52:46
October 27 2013 12:50 GMT
#697
On October 27 2013 13:54 RagequitBM wrote:
Why is Dr. Mario so much more played than regular Mario? I don't like how he looks :/
Also, is it possible to be a consistently top 4 player with a low tier character? I don't think I've ever seen it, and if it has been done before, please enlighten me.

Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?


What will usually happen is that someone will start playing that character and single handedly move them up a few tiers

I mean, peach and jiggs were for a long time pretty low until ppl started playing them well

I'm sure there are certain characters like spamus which if a top tier player mained them, would probably move up quite a few tiers

The "top" has always been fox falco shiek marth (in no particular order) but tht doesn't stop the fact that a few players just by being really good at one character made ppl contest the tier as always happened in the past - Peach, jiggs, CF, even IC

edit:

lol now i see that jiggs is apparently no 3 over shiek and marth. I pretty much garuantee that's just because there are a few crack jiggs players out there who basically brought her there
Kyuukyuu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada6263 Posts
October 28 2013 00:18 GMT
#698
On October 27 2013 21:50 BrTarolg wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2013 13:54 RagequitBM wrote:
Why is Dr. Mario so much more played than regular Mario? I don't like how he looks :/
Also, is it possible to be a consistently top 4 player with a low tier character? I don't think I've ever seen it, and if it has been done before, please enlighten me.

Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?


What will usually happen is that someone will start playing that character and single handedly move them up a few tiers

I mean, peach and jiggs were for a long time pretty low until ppl started playing them well

I'm sure there are certain characters like spamus which if a top tier player mained them, would probably move up quite a few tiers

The "top" has always been fox falco shiek marth (in no particular order) but tht doesn't stop the fact that a few players just by being really good at one character made ppl contest the tier as always happened in the past - Peach, jiggs, CF, even IC

edit:

lol now i see that jiggs is apparently no 3 over shiek and marth. I pretty much garuantee that's just because there are a few crack jiggs players out there who basically brought her there


lolno, that was only the 2010 tier list where everyone was either masturbating to or hating puff because of probably a lot of things but mostly hungrybox vs mango finals. The most recent list has Puff below Marth and Sheik.

Peach and Puff have always been kinda high though, I would say the most examples for a "low" tier moving up are Ice Climbers and Pikachu.
hariooo
Profile Joined October 2013
Canada2830 Posts
October 28 2013 13:31 GMT
#699
On October 27 2013 16:57 vlaric wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2013 13:54 RagequitBM wrote:
Edit: Project M is a brawl mod to make it more like Melee right?


yup. it's the same idea as the SC2BW map by MavercK in Stacraft 2


Only if that map contains the new SC2 units as well tweaked to BW specs.
Kyuukyuu
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada6263 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-28 17:51:02
October 28 2013 17:50 GMT
#700
yeah if we continue the sc2bw analogy then it'd mean goons gols and scourge would have even their shitty AI programmed back in
Prev 1 33 34 35 36 37 188 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2534
RotterdaM747
TaKeTV 343
IndyStarCraft 198
BRAT_OK 76
ZombieGrub75
SteadfastSC16
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2534
RotterdaM 747
ByuN 326
MaxPax 201
IndyStarCraft 198
RuFF_SC2 101
BRAT_OK 76
ZombieGrub75
UpATreeSC 57
MindelVK 17
SteadfastSC 16
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 3215
Shuttle 747
Mini 455
EffOrt 409
Dewaltoss 171
Rush 153
Mind 76
910 73
HiyA 69
Zeus 62
[ Show more ]
hero 57
Bale 24
sorry 21
ToSsGirL 16
Sexy 12
scan(afreeca) 9
zelot 9
Sacsri 7
Dota 2
qojqva3160
Counter-Strike
fl0m4925
pashabiceps1009
Fnx 638
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3678
Other Games
singsing2105
ceh9705
Beastyqt687
mouzStarbuck239
XaKoH 130
C9.Mang0125
QueenE61
Trikslyr56
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV223
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream25
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 129
• StrangeGG 33
• Reevou 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV389
Other Games
• imaqtpie709
• Shiphtur300
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
4h 51m
Afreeca Starleague
15h 51m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
16h 51m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 5h
Patches Events
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.